JOHN BOGERT: The demise of the Hummer, a brand that 'had had it...

Full story: Daily Breeze 16
Five years ago, which is barely enough time for a child to grow teeth and more than enough time for the world to change utterly, GM's L.A. Auto Show Hummer display was playing iron-axled jungle jim. Read more
Jim

Ontario, CA

#1 Mar 5, 2010
Playing war gets old after a while.

Your decision on what you drive says a lot about your values.
Eddie

Hermosa Beach, CA

#2 Mar 5, 2010
I hate to see a single autoworker lose a job, so I hope yhe line workers that worked on this irresponsible piece of ego massage are busy working on a vehicle that actually has a cilvilian use.

As for the South Bay Hummer aholes clogging up our already cramped roads and parking spots? I guess you never really have realized how ridiculous the rest of us think you loo, have you?k
happyhour

El Segundo, CA

#4 Mar 5, 2010
kma wrote:
Did you notice that the original Hummer idid well and the H2 didn't do so bad either. It was after GM got control and decided to make it "regular" automobile, especially with the H3, that Hummer crashed and burned. Good old "Amrican" car inginutiyt. Or is it good old Amricaan labor union screwing up another good thing?
AMG built the H2 and the H1 model to the end. The H3 was the only GM built Hummer.
pril

Klamath Falls, OR

#5 Mar 7, 2010
150 hp? Is that all?! That teeny tiny mini turbocharged model has 178! The Hummer is even a bigger joke than I had previously imagined...
Scott

Willimantic, CT

#6 Mar 12, 2010
Hummer is a good brand. Its full potential has yet to be tapped in the large SUV market
Unions nothing to do with

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Mar 21, 2010
Unions have nothing to do with management that decided to make cars bigger or smaller. They are just employees working for the man. Its your neighbors that keep buying Jeep Grand Wagoneers/Hummers 14mpg what a ding bat... Blame Joe,and Tom that have been working for Thirty years instaling steering wheels... If you dont have health insurance its your fault for not taking it up with your employer who is making a killing off of your labor no sweat off his back....lol
Ray

Long Beach, CA

#8 Apr 22, 2010
Eddie,

Who the hell are YOU to decide what is right or wrong or what I should or shouldn't drive? You're nothing! A roach at best!
Just a Customer

Iron Mountain, MI

#10 Apr 25, 2010
I do not work in the automotive industry.

I find it unusual that many of the people posting comments blame union people for the problems of the American auto industry. It seems that most union people do not make the major decisions. They only do their jobs the best that they can.

With Peak Oil soon to hit the world, it is odd to see Americans buying such large ungainly vehicles to haul their posteriors from point A to Point B.

Hummers are destined to be a collector's item. People will point at them in museums and laugh.
Just a Customer

Iron Mountain, MI

#12 Apr 25, 2010
Karlheinz wrote, "Lots of chatter, but no corrective actions."

Corrective actions must be made by corporate management and government officials with insight. I think some corrective actions are in the works:

- electric cars - clean, cheap to run and they use domestic fuel.

- high speed trains to eliminate excess automobile traffic

- higher mileage standards will prevent mistakes like the Hummer from happening again.

- Building the cars and trains here will keep the money here. This will prevent draining our resources and sending them overseas.

These are corrective actions.

I don't work in the automotive industry and am tired of seeing it bankrupt Michigan.
Annette

Grand Island, NE

#14 Sep 2, 2010
Ray wrote:
Eddie,
Who the hell are YOU to decide what is right or wrong or what I should or shouldn't drive? You're nothing! A roach at best!
I agree with your comment. I plan to buy a Hummer next month and have been doing a lot of research but they are hard to find here in Nebraska.
Osama B Ladin

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#15 Sep 3, 2010
Annette wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with your comment. I plan to buy a Hummer next month and have been doing a lot of research but they are hard to find here in Nebraska.
Thanks so much for supporting our cause. Please encourage your friends and neighbors to buy more fuel too.
To Jim

United States

#16 Sep 3, 2010
"Playing war," said Jim in March, "gets old after a while."

Yes, but it doesn't matter, as long as they can be making lots of money, our select corporations, we will have them. The wars and all these corporations. It keeps the bankers in business too, by handling all these great transaction. From the people, to the masters. And what did we gain, besides creating billionaires?

The benefits of cheap goodies Made in China? The privilege of shopping in a Wal-Mart store? It makes the Waltons happy, but what about us? Have we no dreams and wishes?
Jim wrote:
Playing war gets old after a while.
Your decision on what you drive says a lot about your values.
To Just a Customer

United States

#17 Sep 4, 2010
Just a Customer wrote:
Karlheinz wrote, "Lots of chatter, but no corrective actions."
Corrective actions must be made by corporate management and government officials with insight. I think some corrective actions are in the works:
- electric cars - clean, cheap to run and they use domestic fuel.
- high speed trains to eliminate excess automobile traffic
- higher mileage standards will prevent mistakes like the Hummer from happening again.
- Building the cars and trains here will keep the money here. This will prevent draining our resources and sending them overseas.
These are corrective actions.
I don't work in the automotive industry and am tired of seeing it bankrupt Michigan.
Hello, it's not only Michigan. We're broke too, after seven years of Arnie. And in addition we have our Hahns, here in L.A. County.
iseesuuupidpeopl e

Highlands, NC

#18 Oct 1, 2010
Why is it that none of these enviro-idots jumped on Hummer, but you never hear them say a word a/b the super hp cars or any of the millions of other trucks of suvs that get much worse mpg than the Hummer? Sorry crybabies but my H2 gets @18mpg on the highway! So shut ur pieholes and move on!
Hummer h3

Englewood, CO

#19 Nov 26, 2010
I own a Hummer H3 and a dodge half ton pick up. The H3 gets 18 mpg the Dodge gets 13 mpg. But lets hate the Hummer. Nobody gives me dirty looks for driving a 13 mpg dodge. Mostly jealous a-holes that have wives that wont let them buy a Hummer...
Mr Right

Livermore, CA

#20 Jul 23, 2012
I own a H1 and yes its gets 8 mpg and yes it cost 160 to fill the tank but it is a vary fun car to drive and will go almost any where you will try to take it. No I do not use it as my daily driver. You all sit here and talk trash about people that own Hummers but I'm sure you have never owned one, from lack of cash flow or fun but you might as well hate every thing you haven't tried. You say its wrong drive a Hummer, but it was built in the USA and I'm ok with spending a 100 grand on that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hummer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 12 most embarrassing cars in America (Sep '13) Oct '13 FredericSuisse 2
Hummer h1 (Aug '13) Aug '13 Need Help 1
News Medina County building where LeBron James keeps... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Pemp Doddy 4
News 2 SUVs get stuck under I-76 bridge in Arvada (Sep '12) Jan '13 Rose Leonardo 3
News It happens only in China: Hummer H2 modded with... (Feb '12) Feb '12 My opinion 1
News My Trip to the GM Dealership in Torrance, CA (Aug '10) Aug '10 Sam Waterhouse 1
News Hummer Recalls: General Motors is Recalling all... (May '10) Jun '10 Hmmby 5
More from around the web