Honda Pilot battery problem
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#42 Sep 17, 2012
bob P wrote:
<quoted text>
JoAnn, I think you can save yourself a lot of grief if you have them check the moon roof wiring.....It solved the problem for me
it almost certainly is not a bad battery
Good point. There's generally a reason for a dead battery, other than age of course.
bob P

Somers, NY

#43 Sep 17, 2012
yes, a 2012 car battery is not going to be bad...this problem with the moon roof was found out a couple of years ago....my older than that car died about 3 times, but part of the problem was my not bringing the car back when my model did have a recall

as soon as I had that taken care of, no problems, and it has been two years.

I think that even where Honda has not issued the recall, the issue still is the moon roof.
dead battery guy

Ontario, CA

#44 Sep 20, 2012
Sam B wrote:
<quoted text>
David T, you're my hero! Worked like a charm!
..........yes, your my hero as well, closed the door...attached cables...horn started...unlocked dorr and voila.
Richardocasio

Franklin, TN

#45 Nov 18, 2012
I'm having the same problem battery dies constantly and i don't know how to fix it. It a constant problem can anyone tell me if there is any way to fix this problem I guess I'm not the only one that found this to be a bummer mine is a 2009 model. Heck and I'm about to take a tour to Connecticut from Kentucky... What a bummer i enjoy the vehicle but this is driving me nuts.
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#46 Nov 18, 2012
Richardocasio wrote:
I'm having the same problem battery dies constantly and i don't know how to fix it. It a constant problem can anyone tell me if there is any way to fix this problem I guess I'm not the only one that found this to be a bummer mine is a 2009 model. Heck and I'm about to take a tour to Connecticut from Kentucky... What a bummer i enjoy the vehicle but this is driving me nuts.
Has the battery been load tested? If it's NG, replace it. Test the alternator and all battery connections also. If still NG, have a "parasitic load" test performed.
Mary

Boston, MA

#47 Dec 29, 2012
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Judy, the only additional equipment powered up when in the accessory position is the radio and possibly one or two other items. The guy is full of it. You no doubt have what is called a "parasitic" drain from an electrical defect. Not too hard to diagnose, just maybe a bit time consuming. Does your state have some kind of a lemon law? If so, I'd get very familiar with it. Good luck.
I have an 09 pilot same thing happens to me. AAA knows me by name
liner

Delray Beach, FL

#48 Dec 31, 2012
Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
I have an 09 pilot same thing happens to me. AAA knows me by name
Like I suggested to Judy, if your battery tests good, have a parasitic load test done by a shop that knows what it's doing. No reason to have this problem.
JOHN

Windsor Mill, MD

#49 Jan 9, 2013
SAME PROBLEM WITH 2010 PILOT. PICKED UP GRANDSON,, TURNED OFF AUTO, LISTEN TO RADIO FOR MAYBE 20 MINUTES, BATTERY DEAD. 1-9-2013, PICKED UP GRANDSON,HEADLIGHTS REMAINED ON FOR MAYBE 10-20 MINUTES WITH AUTO TURNED OFF, AGAIN BATTERY DEAD.
DEALER SAYS DO NOT TURN OFF AUTO AND PROBLEM SOLVED. NOT QUITE THE ANSWER I'M LOOK FOR.
liner

Delray Beach, FL

#50 Jan 11, 2013
JOHN wrote:
SAME PROBLEM WITH 2010 PILOT. PICKED UP GRANDSON,, TURNED OFF AUTO, LISTEN TO RADIO FOR MAYBE 20 MINUTES, BATTERY DEAD. 1-9-2013, PICKED UP GRANDSON,HEADLIGHTS REMAINED ON FOR MAYBE 10-20 MINUTES WITH AUTO TURNED OFF, AGAIN BATTERY DEAD.
DEALER SAYS DO NOT TURN OFF AUTO AND PROBLEM SOLVED. NOT QUITE THE ANSWER I'M LOOK FOR.
You might have a weak battery. Maybe get it load tested and find out for sure.
bob p

Clifton, NJ

#51 Jan 11, 2013
some of you are not listening here...THE PROBLEM IS THE WIRING TO THE MOON ROOF.....

it causes a drain on the battery.....they had a recall on this for most of honda pilots....

thus, if you have the lights on, or the radio on for a short period of time, or don't use the car for 3 or so days, it won't start.

no way should a 2009, 2010 pilot have a bad battery, or alternator problem...
liner

Delray Beach, FL

#52 Jan 13, 2013
bob p wrote:
some of you are not listening here...THE PROBLEM IS THE WIRING TO THE MOON ROOF.....
it causes a drain on the battery.....they had a recall on this for most of honda pilots....
thus, if you have the lights on, or the radio on for a short period of time, or don't use the car for 3 or so days, it won't start.
no way should a 2009, 2010 pilot have a bad battery, or alternator problem...
Correct bob, assuming they have a moon roof!
Matthew T

United States

#53 Mar 6, 2013
We have a 2010 Honda Pilot, and the battery was replaced about 6 months ago because it kept dying. Thought we had the problem solved until today. Had to charge the battery to get it to start. Took it to the dealership, and for $118.50 they ran a diagnostic test and found a parasitic current draw on the radio. Overall current draw is supposed to be less than 50 milliamps (mA) when the car is "asleep". Ours was 230 mA. They removed fuse #17 for the radio, and the current dropped to 30 mA. So, we have a current problem with the radio. Dealership wants $1070 to replace the radio. Not going to happen. Will do some research to see if I can find an electrical schematic on the radio. Will post a solution if I come up with one.
liner

Delray Beach, FL

#54 Mar 8, 2013
Matthew T wrote:
We have a 2010 Honda Pilot, and the battery was replaced about 6 months ago because it kept dying. Thought we had the problem solved until today. Had to charge the battery to get it to start. Took it to the dealership, and for $118.50 they ran a diagnostic test and found a parasitic current draw on the radio. Overall current draw is supposed to be less than 50 milliamps (mA) when the car is "asleep". Ours was 230 mA. They removed fuse #17 for the radio, and the current dropped to 30 mA. So, we have a current problem with the radio. Dealership wants $1070 to replace the radio. Not going to happen. Will do some research to see if I can find an electrical schematic on the radio. Will post a solution if I come up with one.
I assume the car is out of warranty? How about finding your same model radio used?(craig's list, ebay)And have a local audio shop replace it?
Lillian

Wexford, PA

#55 Mar 9, 2013
Yes, 2011 Pilot died 3 times. Dealer said it was the moon roof. Claimed it was reset. Worked OK for 1 month. Today it died again, while we were packed an ready to pull out for a weekend of skiing. Going back to the dealer with my head full of steam. I purchased another Honda because my 12 year old Odyssey van needed to go out to pasture. It was a great car. It never needed anything in the way of repairs. Awesome car! This Pilot has not been reliable. My husband travels and I have two kids to haul around. Must have reliable transportation.
I will make sure they do a parasitic drain test.
liner

Delray Beach, FL

#56 Mar 9, 2013
Lillian wrote:
Yes, 2011 Pilot died 3 times. Dealer said it was the moon roof. Claimed it was reset. Worked OK for 1 month. Today it died again, while we were packed an ready to pull out for a weekend of skiing. Going back to the dealer with my head full of steam. I purchased another Honda because my 12 year old Odyssey van needed to go out to pasture. It was a great car. It never needed anything in the way of repairs. Awesome car! This Pilot has not been reliable. My husband travels and I have two kids to haul around. Must have reliable transportation.
I will make sure they do a parasitic drain test.
If you don't need to deal with this problem (ski trip), have the dealer pull the moonroof power relay until he can fix it. If nothing else, you'll know if that's the problem or not.
Suzanne

Sparta, GA

#57 Mar 26, 2013
My 2010 Honda Pilot has a corroded positive charge on the battery. I replaced the battery (at WalMart) about a month ago. It still died while I was out of town this weekend. AAA was called to clean off corrosion and jump start. Seemed fine.
An hour later, dead again. AAA comes again and sells me *another* new battery, and tells me to get it to the dealership. I dropped it off there yesterday, and today they call and say I have a “bad cell” and wanted me to buy a new [third] battery. They are currently running further tests. Grrrrr...
My AAA guy said he sees this alot on the positive charge side only on the Pilot. Wondered if anyone else has experienced same?
liner

Delray Beach, FL

#58 Mar 26, 2013
Suzanne wrote:
My 2010 Honda Pilot has a corroded positive charge on the battery. I replaced the battery (at WalMart) about a month ago. It still died while I was out of town this weekend. AAA was called to clean off corrosion and jump start. Seemed fine.
An hour later, dead again. AAA comes again and sells me *another* new battery, and tells me to get it to the dealership. I dropped it off there yesterday, and today they call and say I have a “bad cell” and wanted me to buy a new [third] battery. They are currently running further tests. Grrrrr...
My AAA guy said he sees this alot on the positive charge side only on the Pilot. Wondered if anyone else has experienced same?
The batteries you've bought are all guaranteed, no? Why would you continue to buy new ones?
Randy

Baxley, GA

#59 Sep 14, 2013
Have new 2013 with only 468 miles on it and the battery
went dead after sitting for a week. Dealership said it was a dead cell. Was replaced with new battery and it is sitting dead under car port after 6 days. Seams that the dealers are using the dead cell story to cover up something???. Will send it back to the dealer Monday. Wonder what their story will be this go round
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#60 Sep 16, 2013
Randy wrote:
Have new 2013 with only 468 miles on it and the battery
went dead after sitting for a week. Dealership said it was a dead cell. Was replaced with new battery and it is sitting dead under car port after 6 days. Seams that the dealers are using the dead cell story to cover up something???. Will send it back to the dealer Monday. Wonder what their story will be this go round
Hopefully they'll figure out that there's a problem and perform a parasitic load test to determine what it is.
Perhaps it's time to become familiar with your state's lemon law.
ND Native

Bismarck, ND

#61 Nov 12, 2013
I have the same problem with my 2006 Pilot. Was told that the battery was bad. Put in a new bigger battery--same problem. If I turn everything off for 1/2 hour it will start. When the same thing happened at the dealer they kept saying it was the battery. Now when it gets cold (outside temp less than 30) cranks, but won't start-even when plugged in. Dealer has been no help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chevy dealer crushes the competition (Jan '09) 19 hr Rachel 56
News Efficiency in the used car market Nov 30 pbug56 1
News Honda Pilot Owners: Problems & Solutions (Feb '06) Nov '17 Tanveer 1,996
How do you reset the "Maintenance Required" li... (Apr '06) Oct '17 Chelzxsea 352
News 2018 Honda Odyssey vs. 2018 Chrysler Pacifica: ... Oct '17 John B 3
News 13 '80s And '90s Cars That Are Absolutely Worth... Oct '17 Jimmymeans 1
News Buying used: Should we opt for a Honda Odyssey ... Oct '17 pbug56 1
More from around the web