Honda Pilot battery problem
liner

Bronx, NY

#22 Mar 3, 2011
xitron wrote:
<quoted text>
We also have a CR-V which never had such problem. The thing I don't understand is that when the battery is exhausted the car should still be started with the jump cable cnnected to another car or with a jump starter, but in my case both didn't work, the case manager from Honda said that the battery is required to start the car even using external power, I am really confused.
Doesn't make sense to me either. If you have another battery connected to your dead one, how would the car know where the electricity is coming from? What would concern me is when you said your battery had a dead cell when it should merely have been discharged. It could have been a defective battery, but then, all should have been well with the new one.
xitron

Yonkers, NY

#23 Mar 3, 2011
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't make sense to me either. If you have another battery connected to your dead one, how would the car know where the electricity is coming from? What would concern me is when you said your battery had a dead cell when it should merely have been discharged. It could have been a defective battery, but then, all should have been well with the new one.
The dealer told me that the battery didn't die but was just drained down to a level that wouldn't be able to start the car, then I asked him why it wouldn't start when using my jumpstarter and the one from towing service, he said that our jumpstarters may not be strong eough, he showed me the one they used and said their technician started the car without any problem. I am still not clear about battery usage,for example,they said if the battery is drained out completely, it becomes useless and you have to replace it with a new one,I couldn't beleive this because this didn't happen to our CR-V when we forgot to turn off the lights and exhauseted the battery sometimes.
Honda case manager and dealer service both suggest using a battery tender or disconnecting the battery if we don't drive the car for more than a week or so, we'll see if this problem will still occur in the future.
liner

Bronx, NY

#24 Mar 4, 2011
xitron wrote:
<quoted text>
The dealer told me that the battery didn't die but was just drained down to a level that wouldn't be able to start the car, then I asked him why it wouldn't start when using my jumpstarter and the one from towing service, he said that our jumpstarters may not be strong eough, he showed me the one they used and said their technician started the car without any problem. I am still not clear about battery usage,for example,they said if the battery is drained out completely, it becomes useless and you have to replace it with a new one,I couldn't beleive this because this didn't happen to our CR-V when we forgot to turn off the lights and exhauseted the battery sometimes.
Honda case manager and dealer service both suggest using a battery tender or disconnecting the battery if we don't drive the car for more than a week or so, we'll see if this problem will still occur in the future.
I would find it hard to believe that a towing service wouldn't have a strong enough jump starter aboard. You're probably not the first car they've had to jump. Yes, if a battery is discharged too far, it could be damaged (polarity reversed). My opinion is, a fully charged battery should be able to start a car after sitting for two weeks. More than that, use a tender. Less than that, there's something wrong.
xitron

Yonkers, NY

#25 Mar 4, 2011
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
I would find it hard to believe that a towing service wouldn't have a strong enough jump starter aboard. You're probably not the first car they've had to jump. Yes, if a battery is discharged too far, it could be damaged (polarity reversed). My opinion is, a fully charged battery should be able to start a car after sitting for two weeks. More than that, use a tender. Less than that, there's something wrong.
Thanks for your input to this issue. My battery tender will arrive next week, before using it I still want to clarify one thing: do I need to disconnect the car battery because in the user manual it reads:"If you need to connect the battery to a charger,disconnect both cables to prevent damaging your vehicle's electrical system. Always disconnect the negative(-)bable first,and reconnect it last." Not really sure if the battery tender is considered as such a charger that could damage the electrical system, I guess it's not.
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#26 Mar 5, 2011
xitron wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your input to this issue. My battery tender will arrive next week, before using it I still want to clarify one thing: do I need to disconnect the car battery because in the user manual it reads:"If you need to connect the battery to a charger,disconnect both cables to prevent damaging your vehicle's electrical system. Always disconnect the negative(-)bable first,and reconnect it last." Not really sure if the battery tender is considered as such a charger that could damage the electrical system, I guess it's not.
No, in my opinion there's no need to disconnect the battery cables. Just make very sure that you connect the tender correctly.....red is always positive, black is negative or ground. If you're not sure, ask someone who knows the first time you hook it up.
inkspot

Springfield Gardens, NY

#27 Mar 24, 2011
Just went out to start my car and the batter is dead again. I haven't used the car that much this winter because of the amount of snow, but this will be the 3rd time I will need to call AAA to jump this battery. Just purchased car last April, and this is a pain. If you don't use the car for a couple of days.......battery is dead.
2011 Pilot Owner

Webster, MN

#28 Mar 29, 2011
Having same problems with dead battery. Drove it Sunday, Monday a.m. wouldn't start. tried to jump it with our other Honda that we purchased 5 days ago, and still wouldn't start. Called dealer and they sent a tow truck. The driver tried to jump it with his portable unit and was unable to start it. Towed it to Honda dealer. They hooked it up to a charge and ran some sort of diagnostics. Now they are telling me that they can't find any problems and I have to pay for the tow and trickle charge! Really!!
bob p

Bronx, NY

#29 Mar 29, 2011
2011 Pilot Owner wrote:
Having same problems with dead battery. Drove it Sunday, Monday a.m. wouldn't start. tried to jump it with our other Honda that we purchased 5 days ago, and still wouldn't start. Called dealer and they sent a tow truck. The driver tried to jump it with his portable unit and was unable to start it. Towed it to Honda dealer. They hooked it up to a charge and ran some sort of diagnostics. Now they are telling me that they can't find any problems and I have to pay for the tow and trickle charge! Really!!
well, it finally happened....after two dead battery/jump starts, the third time required a tow ( this after the car was not used for 3 days).....

today the dealership put in a new battery and supposedly fixed the sunroof drain issue.....I see from other posts that dealerships did not want to give you an new battery.....mine is a lease so maybe, just maybe, that could make a difference since it is their car anyway....

now we will see if this fixes things...
Mark N

Houston, TX

#30 Oct 10, 2011
David T wrote:
Insert key in door lock and turn. That will deactivate the security.
This solution worked perfectly the first time! Thanks very much!
Mark N

Houston, TX

#31 Oct 10, 2011
This solution from David T in Louisville worked perfectly! Thanks very much!
kevin

Chandler, AZ

#32 Jan 21, 2012
Bought 2012 honda pilot touring about 3 weeks ago, and the battery has died 3 times so far. Took it to the dealer after the last time, but they said everything check out out good. The next day the battery was dead again! I have triple checked that nothing is left on that would drain the battery, but it keeps happening. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks
bob p

Clifton, NJ

#33 Jan 21, 2012
kevin wrote:
Bought 2012 honda pilot touring about 3 weeks ago, and the battery has died 3 times so far. Took it to the dealer after the last time, but they said everything check out out good. The next day the battery was dead again! I have triple checked that nothing is left on that would drain the battery, but it keeps happening. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks
if it has a sunroof it may be a drain stemming from the electric system there...that was the problem with mine....it possible they have not issued a recall on the 2012....they did on 2010
kevin

Chandler, AZ

#34 Jan 21, 2012
bob p wrote:
<quoted text>
if it has a sunroof it may be a drain stemming from the electric system there...that was the problem with mine....it possible they have not issued a recall on the 2012....they did on 2010
Yes, it does have a sunroof, I will mention this to the dealer. Hard to believe they would be selling these vehicles knowing about this defect. But since the battery tested good, there has got to be a drain somewhere.
Don V

Miami Beach, FL

#35 Mar 16, 2012
Honda Pilot 2010. Had to have the Honda jump started 5 times. Each time car sat idle for 3 or more days. 4th time I had new battery put in. The 5th time I took it to a Honda service / dealer. This is what they said under the problem/solution area.

30060 Inspected vehicle and tested battery. Battery OK. Setup vehicle for parasitic draw test and checked parasitic draw. Found 650ma, which is 13 times higher than max parasitic draw spec. Checked for service information and found that moonroof control unit causes excessive current draw. Disconnected control unit and tested current draw again and found that below 50ma within spec. Performed moonroof control unit update and tested after update and current draw still within specs at this time.

Hope this helps.
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#36 Mar 16, 2012
Don V wrote:
Honda Pilot 2010. Had to have the Honda jump started 5 times. Each time car sat idle for 3 or more days. 4th time I had new battery put in. The 5th time I took it to a Honda service / dealer. This is what they said under the problem/solution area.
30060 Inspected vehicle and tested battery. Battery OK. Setup vehicle for parasitic draw test and checked parasitic draw. Found 650ma, which is 13 times higher than max parasitic draw spec. Checked for service information and found that moonroof control unit causes excessive current draw. Disconnected control unit and tested current draw again and found that below 50ma within spec. Performed moonroof control unit update and tested after update and current draw still within specs at this time.
Hope this helps.
Nice to see a shop take the time to diagnose the problem. Sounds like it should do the trick.
xitron

Jackson, NJ

#37 Mar 16, 2012
Don V wrote:
Hope this helps.
Wow, that's exactly what I suspected, before I had the battery problem, my pilot(2010) had a recall service by the dealer, reason being moonroof cricuit problem, however as I remember,when I mentioned this to the manager in charge the battery issue she firmly denied that it's related,I'll talk to the delear next time. BTW, I have been using a battery tender since last year, it's a pain in the neck !
tom

Winnipeg, Canada

#38 Mar 24, 2012
I have a Pilot touring 2011. The battery has died three time now, with minimal use. It just dies in the driveway. We are in the north and Honda Canada told us we needed a battery with higher cold cranking amps. Will this work??
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#39 Mar 25, 2012
tom wrote:
I have a Pilot touring 2011. The battery has died three time now, with minimal use. It just dies in the driveway. We are in the north and Honda Canada told us we needed a battery with higher cold cranking amps. Will this work??
If you bought the car locally, it should have a proper sized battery installed. Do you drive the car enough to keep the battery charged? If not, perhaps a "battery tender" would help while it is parked. Make sure the alternator is working properly. Have a "parasitic drain" diagnostic done.
JoAnn Wolff

Castle Rock, CO

#40 Sep 16, 2012
Just purchased a brand new 2012 Honda Pilot. Battery is dead already. This is pretty discouraging considering all the comments herein.
bob P

Somers, NY

#41 Sep 16, 2012
JoAnn Wolff wrote:
Just purchased a brand new 2012 Honda Pilot. Battery is dead already. This is pretty discouraging considering all the comments herein.
JoAnn, I think you can save yourself a lot of grief if you have them check the moon roof wiring.....It solved the problem for me

it almost certainly is not a bad battery

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2017 Toyota Sienna Xle Awd Review by Steve Purdy Sep 12 pbug56 1
How do you reset the "Maintenance Required" li... (Apr '06) Sep 11 Garth 351
News A Review of the Yamaha Royal Star Venture Motor... (Jun '08) Sep 9 flyinamos 52
News CBP Arrest 19 Fugitives Labor Day Weekend Sep 7 anotherview2 1
News 2018 Ford Fusion, Reviewed in Depth: Quantity o... Aug 29 Solarman 1
News 8 Great Traits of the 2018 Honda Odyssey... and... Aug 26 pbug56 1
News Honda Pilot Owners: Problems & Solutions (Feb '06) Aug '17 Mike 220 1,994
More from around the web