Sonny

Seevetal, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2006

We were out of town for two weeks and the '06 Pilot was in the garage, unused. Apparently our youngster had turned on one of rear seat overhead lights the last time the Pilot was driven and I didn't notice it before the garage door was closed.

So we returned to a Pilot with a totally dead battery...so dead that the door locks wouldn't even pop up.

Pulled out the battery and dropped it off at a local garage for an overnight recharge. Took a charge with no problem.

But when I brought the battery back and hooked up the battery cables, the horn and panic lights cycle continuously, even after pushing the red panic button on the key. I can even start the Pilot OK but the horn and lights continue to blow/flash.

I assume this is part of the anti-theft protection system but how the dickens do I reset the thing?

Thanks for the help!
gerald wedekind

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2006

Judged:

I suppose you've resolved this by now, but here is what worked for me:
1) open driver's door
2) hook up jumpers to another car's live battery per user manual
3) horn starts blaring on queue
4) close driver's door
5) using key, lock and unlock driver's door a couple of times to get out of panic mode
6) horn stops blaring; proceed as usual
I am unclear on whether this is SOP, or whether our cars have some defect. But then, I am fuzzy on why they don't build cars whose electrical systems are smart enough so they don't drain the battery fully in the first place..:-)
Sonny wrote:
We were out of town for two weeks and the '06 Pilot was in the garage, unused. Apparently our youngster had turned on one of rear seat overhead lights the last time the Pilot was driven and I didn't notice it before the garage door was closed.
So we returned to a Pilot with a totally dead battery...so dead that the door locks wouldn't even pop up.
Pulled out the battery and dropped it off at a local garage for an overnight recharge. Took a charge with no problem.
But when I brought the battery back and hooked up the battery cables, the horn and panic lights cycle continuously, even after pushing the red panic button on the key. I can even start the Pilot OK but the horn and lights continue to blow/flash.
I assume this is part of the anti-theft protection system but how the dickens do I reset the thing?
Thanks for the help!
David T

Radcliff, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2010

Judged:

Insert key in door lock and turn. That will deactivate the security.
Guess

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2010

Just bought new Honda Pilot. Went out to start it and DEAD BATTERY!!!!! Dealership tested it but would not replace. Not even 4 weeks old.

Ashland,Ky
liner

Miller Place, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2010

Guess wrote:
Just bought new Honda Pilot. Went out to start it and DEAD BATTERY!!!!! Dealership tested it but would not replace. Not even 4 weeks old.
Ashland,Ky
It could be just a low battery from sitting on the lot. Give it another chance. If it happens again, hit the dealer HARD and FAST. Start with a new battery. Keep records of everything. Learn your state's lemon law, if you have one.
Michelle Simkins

Merrick, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2010

linda

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2010

Yea, I'm really ticked off. My 2008 Honda Pilot only has 30k and the battery is dead. It won't hold a charge. Absolutely nothing was left on to cause the problem. This is my first Honda and so far I am not impressed!
Sam B

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2010

David T wrote:
Insert key in door lock and turn. That will deactivate the security.
David T, you're my hero! Worked like a charm!
ManlyAuto

Clarkesville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2010

The battery is hopefully covered by the warrenty. If the dealer won't help you, go over their heads and call Honda yourself! Then something should certainly be done. www.manlyhonda.com
Judy

Montclair, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2010

2010 Pilot - Touring - Battery would die after minimal use when motor was off. Honda replaced battery - said it was a bad cell. Continued to have a problem. Can't even sit in driveway and listen to last ten minutes of a radio program without the motor running.

The final straw: After grocvery shopping, I turned on the radio and before I could get my basket unloaded into the car (5-7 minutes), the electrical system abruptly quit.

I had to jump the battery again!!! Took it into Honda. Service guy said just running the radio that short a time would do it, because all of the computers come on when the accessory position on the ignition is in use. They are going to check it becauseof the possibiloity that the moonroof isdrawing current, but I was told I would still have a problem if I run the radio or interior lights, etc. with out the motor on for any period.

I am very disgusted with this response. Has anyone else encountered this problem? My husband has a 2010 Ford F 150. He has had no problem. In fact, After you turn off the ignition the radio will continue to play for about 10 minutes or until the driver's door is opened.
liner

Elmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2010

Judy wrote:
2010 Pilot - Touring - Battery would die after minimal use when motor was off. Honda replaced battery - said it was a bad cell. Continued to have a problem. Can't even sit in driveway and listen to last ten minutes of a radio program without the motor running.
The final straw: After grocvery shopping, I turned on the radio and before I could get my basket unloaded into the car (5-7 minutes), the electrical system abruptly quit.
I had to jump the battery again!!! Took it into Honda. Service guy said just running the radio that short a time would do it, because all of the computers come on when the accessory position on the ignition is in use. They are going to check it becauseof the possibiloity that the moonroof isdrawing current, but I was told I would still have a problem if I run the radio or interior lights, etc. with out the motor on for any period.
I am very disgusted with this response. Has anyone else encountered this problem? My husband has a 2010 Ford F 150. He has had no problem. In fact, After you turn off the ignition the radio will continue to play for about 10 minutes or until the driver's door is opened.
Judy, the only additional equipment powered up when in the accessory position is the radio and possibly one or two other items. The guy is full of it. You no doubt have what is called a "parasitic" drain from an electrical defect. Not too hard to diagnose, just maybe a bit time consuming. Does your state have some kind of a lemon law? If so, I'd get very familiar with it. Good luck.
Brandi in VA

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

My 2010 is doing the same thing. When we first bought it... went to test drive, dealer had to get gas and car dies across the street at gas station. Dealer jumped it and acted like no big deal. We told them we wanted the battery replaced, they said they tested it and it was fine. Now, 8-9 months later same thing happened. Hubby was trying to fix bluetooth/pairing my phone in garage and didn't have engine running but turned to on to work accessory. Anyway, did that for 15 min., went to go Christmas shopping and car was dead. Had to jump it. Luckily it didn't die again while I was out. I also think I remember having to jump it when one of the kids left a rear light on overnight. Love the styling of this new Honda but not enjoying this crap. Need oil change, going to address this with the dealership.
Brandi in VA

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Also was wondering, my neighbor who also bought 2010 Pilot mentioned something about recall regarding battery drain from sunroof but I can't find anything about this anywhere. Does anyone have a website for specific information about this. Thanks!
donna NY

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

I have a 2010 Pilot Touring car and it is a NIGHTMARE. Battery constantly dies, eventhough it is used each day. In 11 months, the car has been at the dealer for one month and the battery was changed 3 times. Moonroof was fixed in the summer right after the recall. Still PROBLEMS! Dealer is useless,I contacted Honda and they did NOTHING! Want me to use a Battery Tender each day - crazy! They insist it is because the car needs to be driven MORE to recharge the battery! I have contacted an attorney under the lemon law. Honda and the dealer can go to #$*&! Will never buy from them again!
liner

Elmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

donna NY wrote:
I have a 2010 Pilot Touring car and it is a NIGHTMARE. Battery constantly dies, eventhough it is used each day. In 11 months, the car has been at the dealer for one month and the battery was changed 3 times. Moonroof was fixed in the summer right after the recall. Still PROBLEMS! Dealer is useless,I contacted Honda and they did NOTHING! Want me to use a Battery Tender each day - crazy! They insist it is because the car needs to be driven MORE to recharge the battery! I have contacted an attorney under the lemon law. Honda and the dealer can go to #$*&! Will never buy from them again!
Make absolutely sure you document ALL dealings with the dealer. That's crucial for the lemon law. I have a relative who successfully got Chrysler to buy back her vehicle under the lemon law, but it wasn't easy.
bob p

White Plains, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2011

liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Make absolutely sure you document ALL dealings with the dealer. That's crucial for the lemon law. I have a relative who successfully got Chrysler to buy back her vehicle under the lemon law, but it wasn't easy.
my 2010 pilot went dead twice....first time was my daughter using aux power to run a dvd player for about 20 minutes....a jump got it going and it ran fine after that....

another time I was waiting to pick someone up early morning....I shut the car down but forgot to turn off the headlights....the lights were on for 10 minutes at most.....could not start the vehicle...

again, a jump got it going and then it runs fine

I did get the recall notice on the sunroof but I never got over to do it.....it starts fine even after it sits for days, but not if you have used any power when off
liner

Elmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2011

bob p wrote:
<quoted text>
my 2010 pilot went dead twice....first time was my daughter using aux power to run a dvd player for about 20 minutes....a jump got it going and it ran fine after that....
another time I was waiting to pick someone up early morning....I shut the car down but forgot to turn off the headlights....the lights were on for 10 minutes at most.....could not start the vehicle...
again, a jump got it going and then it runs fine
I did get the recall notice on the sunroof but I never got over to do it.....it starts fine even after it sits for days, but not if you have used any power when off
Absolutely get the recall done. Something is weakening the battery.
xitron

Yonkers, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2011

Lucky I found this thread about honda pilot battery problem, my 2010 honda had the same problem twice - dead battery, both due to siting in the garrage for several weeks, then wouldn't start the engine with either jump cable or jumpstarter, had it towned to the dealer and replaced the batteries, I was told one battery cell was dead. We received a recall letter and had the car serviced in Aug. last year, then the problem started, not sure if this is related to that service call since the car was fine before. a Honda customer service case manager recommended to disconnect the battery if need be or use a battery tender to keep battery charging when not driving,this is a crazy idea.
liner

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2011

xitron wrote:
Lucky I found this thread about honda pilot battery problem, my 2010 honda had the same problem twice - dead battery, both due to siting in the garrage for several weeks, then wouldn't start the engine with either jump cable or jumpstarter, had it towned to the dealer and replaced the batteries, I was told one battery cell was dead. We received a recall letter and had the car serviced in Aug. last year, then the problem started, not sure if this is related to that service call since the car was fine before. a Honda customer service case manager recommended to disconnect the battery if need be or use a battery tender to keep battery charging when not driving,this is a crazy idea.
I would say several weeks is a bit long to let a car sit without starting it, but the battery certainly shouldn't develop a bad cell because of it. Modern cars have lots of electronic stuff that needs to be constantly powered, so I think a battery tender for anything over 2 weeks would be a good idea.
xitron

Yonkers, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2011

liner wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say several weeks is a bit long to let a car sit without starting it, but the battery certainly shouldn't develop a bad cell because of it. Modern cars have lots of electronic stuff that needs to be constantly powered, so I think a battery tender for anything over 2 weeks would be a good idea.
We also have a CR-V which never had such problem. The thing I don't understand is that when the battery is exhausted the car should still be started with the jump cable cnnected to another car or with a jump starter, but in my case both didn't work, the case manager from Honda said that the battery is required to start the car even using external power, I am really confused.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of74
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Honda Forum right now

Search the Honda Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Honda recalls 1,760 units in Philippines Jul 10 amc 8
Uber Is Now Losing Money On Every UberX Ride Jul 7 JonQyork 1
On the road alone in L.A. (Jun '07) Jul 7 Human at Earth 128
Car Satellite Navigation DVD (May '06) Jul 5 darwin 43
A Review of the Yamaha Royal Star Venture Motor... (Jun '08) Jul 3 Cruise 48
How do you reset the "Maintenance Required" li... (Apr '06) Jul 2 Jsadler 346
Honda Pilot Owners: Problems & Solutions (Feb '06) Jun 27 Lern 1,857
•••

Buy a New Car