First Drive: 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan

Aug 2, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Motor Trend

The Entertainer: It's an all-new minivan. And an amusement park on wheels. Photography by Julia LaPalme, Chrysler Don't be surprised, should you become the owner of a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan , if your kids ... via Motor Trend

Comments
1 - 20 of 293 Comments Last updated Sep 24, 2012
First Prev
of 15
Next Last
Anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

The 2008 Carvan is a POS (I'm an engineer on the program). There are SOOOOO many issues that are not being made known to news media or the general public. Most of the problems are electrical/software in nature but there sure are some mechanical issues too! One in particular: when you run the A/C and park the Carvan, the "sweat" from the A/C litteraly RUNS straight onto the steaming hot exhaust pipe. Does anyone know what cold water being thrown onto a hot pipe does to the pipe? Expecially over the 'life' of the Caravan... Recall city my friends!
Joe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

Hell the sweat thing has been doing that with my 5 year old Dakota. No problems yet. What should I be looking for just in case?
plant hopper

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

go work for toyota as-----!it says alot about your engineering skills if you worked on the program and you say its a pos.
keep posting negative shit and maybe you'll looking for a job next di-- head.
sucker me once

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2007

He's an engineer alright. For Toyota.
bassplayer52

Selma, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2007

Judged:

I would take a dodge grand caravan over a toyota van anyday. such as the dodge ram hemi vs. the toyota tundra.
Joey

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2007

Anonymous wrote:
The 2008 Carvan is a POS (I'm an engineer on the program). There are SOOOOO many issues that are not being made known to news media or the general public. Most of the problems are electrical/software in nature but there sure are some mechanical issues too! One in particular: when you run the A/C and park the Carvan, the "sweat" from the A/C litteraly RUNS straight onto the steaming hot exhaust pipe. Does anyone know what cold water being thrown onto a hot pipe does to the pipe? Expecially over the 'life' of the Caravan... Recall city my friends!
i THINK YOU HAVE BEEN HITTING THE PIPE..GO BACK TO tOYOTA
HRC

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2007

Anonymous wrote:
Your an idiot!!! This minivan will be a sure hit! I will be buiding it with quality....and the world will be buying them as fast as we buold them. Go engineer a new brain you clown.

P.S. Your an engineering tool!!! It would be quite easy to fabricate a small deflector for the sweat. You sure your even an engineer? If so...someone need to recall your diploma!!!
Jeff - Calgary

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2007

I have had an AWD Grand Voyager since new in 1994. It is time to get a new one and I have been looking and looking. So far I am very impressed with the 2008 Caravan and T&C. Looks good, has improvements in most every area. Plus I love the engine compartment. It is SOOO much more accessible for just about everything. Well done Chrysler.

“Assignment change”

Since: Jul 07

Howard Beach, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Is it me or is most of the Dodge products looks like they are derived from parts bins?
That front on the van looks like a Avenger, and the rearside a Caliber and the rear hatch that big discovery with out the fire truck ladder handles. To bad they dont slap a Mexican made 5.7 hemi in there. Oh well some dude in WV back country will drop a one in im sure.
plant hopper

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2007

is it just me or do all hondas look like shit
boring and bland just like all jap cars

“Assignment change”

Howard Beach, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

plant hopper wrote:
is it just me or do all hondas look like shit
boring and bland just like all jap cars
I bet I know what kinda plants you hop on.

Since: May 07

Mansfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2007

They lowered the pricing on the minivans too!I believe they will sell a lot of them.
maryh

Ballwin, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2007

I'm looking at all the minivans right now. Gotta buy one soon. My 2000 T&C has 167,000 and needs a new fuel pump, fuel filter and spark plugs. The air conditioning died about 3 weeks ago too. Will cost $895 without fixing the air conditioning, and I don't feel like putting this into a car with this kind of mileage, no air conditioning and some body damage (thanks to my teen aged boys). Haven't had any problems until now and I can't complain about them with this high of mileage.

For all the hype the Odyssey does have some quality and mechanical troubles and I can't stand how they designed a van with horribly large blind spots. Who the heck thought that putting the spare tire in the rear window was a good move? They also designed the second window poorly so its view is also limited. Put all the safety features you want into a van but the best safety feature is to avoid having an accident in the first place. The blind spots are turning me away from the Odyssey since I do not have a good view out my side windows. Would not help accident avoidance!!

The Sienna is better but pricey. I just can't get excited about it though - no pizzazz. Drives good.

Test drove the 4.0L 08 T&C. Van feels BIG. Drives OK but I want to try a 3.8L. The larger engine feels too large for my tastes but will probably appeal to SUV drivers. Looking for a dealer with a 3.8 to test drive. My observations -- head rests are uncomfortable until you adjust the seats. Leaning the back and adding lumbar support resulted in a comfortable feel. The newer, unstainable cloth seats are itchy. I don't like them. Leather was wonderful though. If I get one - it will have to be leather. VERY roomy van. Loved the swivel seats, 2 DVD and computer/Navigation system. Read a review that the computer's screen was small but I did not find that to be true. Perhaps I am used to smaller Nuvi Nav systems so this seems huge in comparison. I love the warranty but wonder what maintainence will be required to keep it valid.
Preston

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2007

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with the large v6 engine. I love how that van will smash all other vans off the line (IT WILL MOVE) But I am very displeased with the interior. JUST CHEAP

I also have a 1997 Chrysler Voyager and love everything about it except the weak engine :(

95 Dodge dakota 5.2L V8, 96 Ram 2500 8.0L V10, 97 Chrysler Voyager, 99 Chrysler Sebring, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
Ford only

Mount Laurel, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2007

I like the new Dodge caravan, I like how they squared it off. I hope they sell very well..

“Assignment change”

Howard Beach, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2007

plant hopper wrote:
<quoted text>ya your mamas! as-hole!
so you build that ugly ass crap!
You sound stupid you know!
Big Daddy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

We have a 2005 SXT and we love it. No main issues so far. Brought it used last year with 18K miles on it and it now has 35K. Only repair so far is the driver seat bottom stop going up and down but that was replaced under warranty. Gas mileage could be better but its proberly because we are sort of heavy foot drivers. We really like the 2008 and will consider getting it next year.
Doug

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2007

Wait to buy one of the new mini vans. I think that engineer designed the swivel and go! Could you have not of put more room between the swivle seats and the back seat? If you swivel to the back, unless you are 3 years old or a midget, you only have about ten inches between the seats! design flaw big time!!! I'm only 5'9" and I had no room for my legs with the empty van on the dealers show room. The dealer wont even display the van thats inside with the swivle seat facing the rear! Sad part, That's a highlighted selling point to the van.
Clyde S

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2007

Judged:

My friend Will got a new Dodge Grand Caravan, I have a Cadillac Escalade. He let me test it out. The dodge was a piece of shit. Plain and simple. I had a toyota sienna once and it was better than that new dodge. Cadillac's Escalade is great if you can afford one. Sheesh.
William

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2007

I just traded my Toyota in for a new Caravan. I never owned Dodge before. Let me just say I wished I would have test drove the Dodge before I bought the Toyota a few years ago. Best move I made. So far I have been impressed with my new Dodge and if it keeps running the way it has been. They being Dodge has just added another new customer to there ranks.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the Honda Forum right now

Search the Honda Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Honda Air Compressor Problems (May '12) Wed tyoung 10
On the road alone in L.A. (Jun '07) Tue Human at Earth 131
Honda Pilot Owners: Problems & Solutions (Feb '06) Mon Jon 1,868
How do you reset the "Maintenance Required" li... (Apr '06) Jul 22 Jay 347
How do I shut off the 'maintenance required' li... (Dec '07) Jul 17 OMG Why Did I Buy a Honda 26
Honda recalls 1,760 units in Philippines Jul 10 amc 8
Uber Is Now Losing Money On Every UberX Ride Jul 7 JonQyork 1
•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••