Thinking of buying an st1300
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Captain Steve

Miami, FL

#21 Jun 15, 2012
Well after 3 Gold Wings starting with a Gl100 in "77" and one adventure with a CB900 custom, I finally made the impulse buy of a lifetime. While shopping for the girl friends used trainer machine I left my Gl1800 in the service deptartment of a Ft Lauderdale Honda store and drove away with a new 2010 ST1300.
I've wanted one of these guys since I first read a tech report of the St1100 where they reported a pro rider dropped back into 2nd and rode the beast on the rear wheel. Thought to myself" I gotta get one of those things someday" even though I don't wheelie on anything but maybe a YZ 250 on a dirt road.
My last purchase was in 2008 and I wanted a lighter version of my beloved GL1500 and put the Beemer RT and ST1300 on the short list. Two problems I found for me was 1) BMW expects you to spend as much to maintain there invention in the first oh say 36,000 miles as you paid for it. My Hondas live on tires, oil changes, and the occasional brake pad and fluid swap,, period. I am spoiled I guess or maybe just cheap. Bottomline was no RT for me. Next 2) the ST lacked a few features I thought I must just plain have that we not there. One was cruise control and the second was rocking tunes. I asked 2 dealers to try to problem solve this and get ready to sell me a bike. No one called even though I had read some articles where these features had been added. I guess these guys just weren't hungry enough that day or this was just a major effort I was requesting,,, I don't know. I caved in and purchased the GL1800 and have been happy ever since,,, then I bought the ST.I quickly learned to love all things good about the ride, handling, power. Three things I believe Honda needed to put more time into are 1) the grips/bars are too low (something I fixed that with a Heli Bar riser kit), the saddle is unbelievably uncortfortable (being corrected by Corbin in the next few weeks), and the infamous heat issue. Thius machine is like riding a 2 wheeled water heater and recall I'm on wing #3!!!
I rode from Miami to Lauderdale this morning at 79 degrees and it was just kinda nice but on my 90 degree return trip I roasted my nads off! Honda should have done much better with this,, something I will bring up on my survey (like that will make any difference right???)
I guess I bougfht the best St for cool running days ever biult for the money especially since the new BMW 1600 6 cyl goes like $30K with nav, heated grip/seats, and stereo. Oh just like the way my wing came to me for $18,300 in 2007.
Happy trails and safe riding. Capn Steve
James Garner wrote:
Hi all. I currently own a 2005 suzuki bandit 1200 and love it. But it is lacking in storage. The st1300 looks to be exactly what i'm looking for. I owned an 85 V65 Magna so I am familiar with the V-four engine. Anyway, I have heard there is alot of heat that comes up from the engine on these. I live in the south and it gets pretty hot down here. Some say they don't feel the heat and others say they do. I just need and honest opinion of this and if there is a way to fix the heat problem. I love the looks of this bike and would love to have one but don't want any heat issues. Thanks for all opinions in advance.
David Ch

Buffalo, NY

#22 Jul 15, 2012
St 1300 is a very nice machine. Not as fast as the FJR and it is hotter. After 90 degrees it is hot on the legs. Need to hold my knees out a little. I was wondering about an air scoop.
Dan Hammack

Bellevue, WA

#23 Dec 22, 2013
Doug-Savannah GA wrote:
<quoted text> [HOT]
I owned a 2002 ST1300 and there were some heat issues. Especially when the fuel was under 1.5 gal. Then the enginen heat would heat up the tank next to your inseams...BURN! But, I have a 2006 model and Honda has addressed this issue. Still on a 97 degree or hotter day, that steel tank gets toasty on the inner thighs. But, I wear shorts all the time. I just keep gas in the tank if new the 2 gal. mark. Love the bike...beats the Concours (older model) and all the other 12 models of bikes I've owned. Get one-You'll never regret it! Hot in Savannah
I don't see where Honda did anything to fix the heat issue. I have a 2009 and the tank gets uncomfortably hot in the heat unless it's kept full which negates the advantage of the large tank. Even with the optional fairing deflectors I still feel heat on my legs, and heat radiates through the seat. I'm somewhat sensitive to heat and don't like it. I'm thinking very seriously about trading mine in on a 2014 FJR1300es. It seems to me Honda released the ST1300 and then basically abandoned it with few if any updates, none recently, while Yamaha constantly updates the FJR1300. And a new ST comes with none of the amenities of a new FJR1300 like cruise control, heated grips, traction control, 2 drive modes, all standard.
Dan

Riverside, CA

#24 Dec 3, 2014
I live in southern California and own a 2006, it's no hotter than other bikes, but I don't ride in shorts. I have noticed the fuel tank gets hot, but it is over the engine. I would just go take one for a test ride. Ride it 40 miles or so. If they don't want to let you ride it, don't buy it.
Dan Hammack

United States

#25 Sep 8, 2015
Dan wrote:
I live in southern California and own a 2006, it's no hotter than other bikes, but I don't ride in shorts. I have noticed the fuel tank gets hot, but it is over the engine. I would just go take one for a test ride. Ride it 40 miles or so. If they don't want to let you ride it, don't buy it.
I ride in full textile gear, so everything I said in my prior post is based on that. Hot tank, hot legs, and hot seat. And now I see Honda has the Goldwing on the few, if any, updates path.
Thomas

Keller, TX

#26 Apr 16, 2016
Hello everyone, I have a 2007 st1300 and I want to install some bar risers. My question is will the stock cables work or will I need to lengthen them? If anyone has experience in this area please share. Thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda St1300 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Legs are on Fire! (Aug '14) Aug '14 Matt 1
st1300 stock seat (2004) (Jun '14) Jun '14 jerry weller 1
tires (Aug '12) Aug '12 cap Kent 1
wiring for trailer (Jun '07) Oct '11 Dave 2
ST1300 brake pads (Jul '10) Jun '11 P Houle 2
Used Parts (May '07) Feb '11 looking for lower... 2
ST1300 Lowering bracket (May '10) Aug '10 Paul G 2
More from around the web