Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Dec 22, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
James Garner

Jackson, TN

#1 Mar 8, 2009
Hi all. I currently own a 2005 suzuki bandit 1200 and love it. But it is lacking in storage. The st1300 looks to be exactly what i'm looking for. I owned an 85 V65 Magna so I am familiar with the V-four engine. Anyway, I have heard there is alot of heat that comes up from the engine on these. I live in the south and it gets pretty hot down here. Some say they don't feel the heat and others say they do. I just need and honest opinion of this and if there is a way to fix the heat problem. I love the looks of this bike and would love to have one but don't want any heat issues. Thanks for all opinions in advance.
Mr Rico

Aurora, CO

#2 Mar 9, 2009
I have an 08 ST1300 and don't have any issues with the heat. I have heard some riders complaining but honestly the heat that you feel is very little compared to other bikes. If you are riding in shorts you may feel the heat but it is not like is going to cook your legs. I ride usually in jeans or riding pants and don't have any complaints. Hope you get your ST and enjoy the ride.

Aurora, CO
Coolak

Miami, FL

#3 May 17, 2009
I bought a used 2006 ST1300 from a dealer January 08. After a test ride I mentioned it seemed very hot. The manager and the salesman looked at me very surprised and said "hot, no perhaps you just need to raise the seat a notch". Unfortunately I shrugged it off and I ended up buying the bike. While it otherwise appears to be a very well engineered bike, I now found that it is almost unridable for me when temperatures are over 75. I live in FL and after a trip the other day in 91 degree temps, my thighs were bright red from the tank heat. I rode last October in the NC mountains and it was perfect - however, FL gets over 75 degrees every day. I've wrapped the pipes and insulated the fairings but the heat transmits through the alloy frame. I'm going to try and insulate the frame and under the tank with heat resistant closed cell neoprene. However I do believe I saw the answer for the heat fix in another person's online blog: he said he fixed the ST1300 heat problem, "I traded it in for a Yamaha FJR".
Charles in TN

United States

#4 Jul 8, 2009
Coolak wrote:
I bought a used 2006 ST1300 from a dealer January 08. After a test ride I mentioned it seemed very hot. The manager and the salesman looked at me very surprised and said "hot, no perhaps you just need to raise the seat a notch". Unfortunately I shrugged it off and I ended up buying the bike. While it otherwise appears to be a very well engineered bike, I now found that it is almost unridable for me when temperatures are over 75. I live in FL and after a trip the other day in 91 degree temps, my thighs were bright red from the tank heat. I rode last October in the NC mountains and it was perfect - however, FL gets over 75 degrees every day. I've wrapped the pipes and insulated the fairings but the heat transmits through the alloy frame. I'm going to try and insulate the frame and under the tank with heat resistant closed cell neoprene. However I do believe I saw the answer for the heat fix in another person's online blog: he said he fixed the ST1300 heat problem, "I traded it in for a Yamaha FJR".
I have an 04 with over 50,000 on it including a trip west of over 7000 and in heat of over 100 and found it no hotter than other bikes. Besides you do have a v4 with a 124 hp between your leggs.
Buelligan

United States

#5 Jul 19, 2009
I have an '05 ST1300, and live in Phoenix.
It is currently 115 degrees here, and my ST doesn't feel any hotter than my Buell, or my Harley.
The ST provides much better wind protection, is more comfortable, and gets better gas mileage than any of my other bikes...
I'm sorry to hear you are having heat issues, maybe it's the humidity?
Paul

Memphis, TN

#6 Jul 31, 2009
I have a 2005 ST1300A. I honestly do not think the heat is a deal breaker. I ride in jeans and most of the time my boots. One time I did ride in shorts and did experience blast of heat on my left leg. I must go baclk to an earlier statement though, "you do have a V4, 125HP engine between your legs.
Steve

Lake City, FL

#7 Sep 5, 2009
2006 ST1300 - all bikes displace heat - I have no heat problems at all. Live in Lake City Florida. My wife and I do 150 - 200 miles on a Sat/Sun year round - and in the summer its in the mid 90's. No problems - I/we love this bike - took a 2200 mile trip up into the Smokies in June - NO PROBLEMS - GET IT AND RIDE !!!!!!!!!!
Doug-Savannah GA

Savannah, GA

#8 Oct 27, 2009
Steve wrote:
2006 ST1300 - all bikes displace heat - I have no heat problems at all. Live in Lake City Florida. My wife and I do 150 - 200 miles on a Sat/Sun year round - and in the summer its in the mid 90's. No problems - I/we love this bike - took a 2200 mile trip up into the Smokies in June - NO PROBLEMS - GET IT AND RIDE !!!!!!!!!!
[HOT]
I owned a 2002 ST1300 and there were some heat issues. Especially when the fuel was under 1.5 gal. Then the enginen heat would heat up the tank next to your inseams...BURN! But, I have a 2006 model and Honda has addressed this issue. Still on a 97 degree or hotter day, that steel tank gets toasty on the inner thighs. But, I wear shorts all the time. I just keep gas in the tank if new the 2 gal. mark. Love the bike...beats the Concours (older model) and all the other 12 models of bikes I've owned. Get one-You'll never regret it! Hot in Savannah
glen bernard

Cerritos, CA

#9 Nov 7, 2009
my dad and i both own a honda st1300 Some times the legs get hot. i just move me feet out a bit and the air comes in. Also my thermostat went out in the first year and it did get way to hot. If you bike is to hot get the thermostat checked and water pump also. honda did a warenty repair on it.
some people took of the bottom plastics saying it lets the heat out better. I tryed it and did not notice much difference.
Jim Rossi

Pleasant Hill, CA

#10 Dec 13, 2009
2004 St1300 I have had my bike for just over a year now and have continuously looked for the so called heat problem. I recently rode the bike from Tucson Az to San Francisco, Great ride by the way, it was 80 degrees in Az when I left, the heat was not an issue. I really believe it is only an issue if you wear shorts. This isnt really a "shorts" type of motorcycle anyway. Hope this helps
Doug-Savannah GA

Savannah, GA

#11 Dec 13, 2009
Best bike of 13 bikes I've owned. It is more refined than the Concours. I put over 70,000K on two Connies. I own a '06 Blk. and it has worked flawlessly. 7.5gal. of gas, great adj.windshield, adj.seat, great power, glass smooth engine, just the best of all worlds. Not a HondaBeggo, not a cruiser, soaks up miles effortlessly. HEAT- not an issue unless over 95 outdoors. ANY bike will be hot in that temp. The only bike that might be in my garage beside this ST1300...would be a BMW GT. But, look for your pocketbook to be mighty empty when buying that Beemer. Loyalty is High w/the Honda ST1300. Hard to beat!!!
Jose ln Fl

Miami, FL

#12 Mar 6, 2010
a Honda is a Honda.
Jose ln Fl

Miami, FL

#13 Mar 6, 2010
I am going to test drive a 06 with 11k miles today and more likelly I am going to get it, is in like new out of the showroom condition.
Dav-id

Salem, OR

#14 Mar 19, 2010
I am shooting for a ST1300, as well. I am one of those folks who is 'heat sensitive.' I've heard that the Kawasaki folks took care of their heat problem on the '09, and older Concours, by installing baffles to help dissipate the heat on the 2010's Hopefully, I won't discover any heat problem on the 2010 ST, but if I do, I would seek out a stratigically placed baffle or two to correct the problem.
And, riding in shorts...is that with accompanying flip flops??
john

San Jose, CA

#15 Jul 11, 2010
James Garner wrote:
Hi all. I currently own a 2005 suzuki bandit 1200 and love it. But it is lacking in storage. The st1300 looks to be exactly what i'm looking for. I owned an 85 V65 Magna so I am familiar with the V-four engine. Anyway, I have heard there is alot of heat that comes up from the engine on these. I live in the south and it gets pretty hot down here. Some say they don't feel the heat and others say they do. I just need and honest opinion of this and if there is a way to fix the heat problem. I love the looks of this bike and would love to have one but don't want any heat issues. Thanks for all opinions in advance.
hi there james i have owned a st1300 for two years now and have had no heat problems with the bike, i also live in california its a great bike
keith

Tempe, AZ

#16 Sep 15, 2010
James Garner wrote:
Hi all. I currently own a 2005 suzuki bandit 1200 and love it. But it is lacking in storage. The st1300 looks to be exactly what i'm looking for. I owned an 85 V65 Magna so I am familiar with the V-four engine. Anyway, I have heard there is alot of heat that comes up from the engine on these. I live in the south and it gets pretty hot down here. Some say they don't feel the heat and others say they do. I just need and honest opinion of this and if there is a way to fix the heat problem. I love the looks of this bike and would love to have one but don't want any heat issues. Thanks for all opinions in advance.
hey guys i just bought a 2006 st1300 and i live in tucson az its in the hundreds right now i to went from a 1984 v65 magna and i love the st but the hot air that comes out of the open fairing holes where the heads are burn my whole inside legs its not extreme but very uncomforable if anyone else does not feel this i dont know how i am going to find a fix sooner or later.
keith

Tempe, AZ

#17 Sep 15, 2010
if the bike was made for cooler climates why is it sold here in hot arizona my 2008 fz1 didnt have this problem my 1984 v65 magna did not have this problem nor any other bike ive ever owned ever but even though it burns i am going to deal with the heat for now because i love this st1300
Kayhan

Turkey

#18 Nov 10, 2010
Hi buddy. İ think u have already bought your st. But i want to add a comment as well. İ live in south of Turkish Republic where is Very hot in summer(40c). İ fell hot air on my knees when i wear shorts. When its around 25 degrees celsius or cooler i never feel over heated. İ have a 04 bmw LT as well. St is fast and swift. İ like her and advice you too. Go for st if you havent yet.
Ron Baron

Melbourne, Australia

#19 Nov 20, 2010
Hi guys, enjoyed reading all of your comments. Owned many bikes when i was young, i have had a long break, so i have been doing my homework for about 12 months. Here we have 45C for days straight and still my worry is not the heat, as i think you can prepare yourself and try to live with it. My worry is my wife getting on the back of the bike. When we first started dating i would pick her up from work on my 900 kwaka and take her home. She just told me recently she would close her eyes and sing on the freeway. What a waste of a beautiful sounding exhaust. Wish me luck as i wish you all the same.
Dave

Cornwall, Canada

#20 Oct 26, 2011
James Garner wrote:
Hi all. I currently own a 2005 suzuki bandit 1200 and love it. But it is lacking in storage. The st1300 looks to be exactly what i'm looking for. I owned an 85 V65 Magna so I am familiar with the V-four engine. Anyway, I have heard there is alot of heat that comes up from the engine on these. I live in the south and it gets pretty hot down here. Some say they don't feel the heat and others say they do. I just need and honest opinion of this and if there is a way to fix the heat problem. I love the looks of this bike and would love to have one but don't want any heat issues. Thanks for all opinions in advance.
I have a 2007 honda st1300 and I enjoy riding it very much, it is by far one of the best if not the best I have owned, And the answer to your question is yes there is some heat but no more than any other bike. I have never read about a fix for this. I hope this helped some.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda St1300 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Legs are on Fire! Aug 1 Matt 1
st1300 stock seat (2004) Jun '14 jerry weller 1
tires (Aug '12) Aug '12 cap Kent 1
wiring for trailer (Jun '07) Oct '11 Dave 2
ST1300 brake pads (Jul '10) Jun '11 P Houle 2
Used Parts (May '07) Feb '11 looking for lower... 2
ST1300 Lowering bracket (May '10) Aug '10 Paul G 2

Buy a New Car


Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Honda St1300 People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••