2006 Honda Odyssey Radio problem

Posted in the Honda Odyssey Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Amber

Jenison, MI

#1 Nov 29, 2007
Just recently my radio will lose the preset frequency. It will either bump up or down a few notches (example: preset is set for 105.7 it will jump to 105.9). It does it with all the presets. What's going on? Is there a button that was accidentally pushed? Any help would be great!
nikki

Canton, OH

#2 Mar 14, 2008
on my radio is says error how do i get it off for my radio to work
Lyn

Rochester, MN

#3 Oct 23, 2008
I am having the same problem and the dealership can't duplicate it. It happens very randomly. Would love if anyone has an answer on how to fix!
Arty

Mexicali, Mexico

#4 Dec 20, 2008
I own a Odyssey 2006, and it is equiped with a 6 CD changer, Once my battery died, I had to change it. When I replaced the4 battery my radio required a code which I key entered. After doing that, my readio (AM and FM worked, but the CD did not work I wnet to the dealer and they told me that the CD's were stuck inside the unit and that is not under warranty. Have anyone had the same issue...?
Ann

United States

#5 May 11, 2009
My 2005 Odyssey's 6 changer CD player just took all of my library rented cd's and won't eject them or load new cd's. How did you resolve? Has anyone else had this problem? Dealer says not a fuse or radio wouldn't work either, and it does.
belle

Elizabeth, NJ

#6 Jun 7, 2009
2006 Honda Odyssey Radio code

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
DGS

Oakley, CA

#7 Jun 19, 2009
4000 character limit. So posting in parts.

Part 1.

Friends, I recently went through a similar experience. I own a 2006 Honda Odyssey and the CD player stopped working all of a suddenly.
Took it to the "stealership" and they quoted $150 for labor (taking it out and installing again) plus cost of repair. The *estimated* total was about $375 to $400.
That qoute was enough to push me to trying something on my own, even if it meant ruining the player (Well, it was supposedly dead anyway, right?)
Came back home and looked around to figure out a way to get the CD palyer/console out. Nothing showed up. Service manual was about $20 with a week to deliver. While looking around, I stumbled upon an autoparts site that was selling a wood facia for the the dashboard and had instructions to replace the facia. The center piece of the facia happened to be just below the CD player console.
So that was my start. I just pried out the center facia (the one with the center HVAC control and vents) starting from the right side from inside of the right glove box (there's a notch there to start prying out), Once it was losely out I noticed a some wire connectors pluuged into it. Switched off the car, took the keys out and made a note of which connector went where and removed them. Off came the entire piece exposing the bottom of the CD player console.

The CD player console was held in place by 3 screws - one to the left, another to the right and one recessed about a feet deep on the center of the bottom. You need a flashlight and a relatively long screwdriver to get that one out. Once all the 3 screws were out, the CD player console was pulled out (even pressure from both sides). More connectors (4 to be precise) on the back. These were color coded so it was easy to remember. Before removing these, I took the fuse for the CD/radio out (instead of disconnecting the battery). The fuse of the CD/Radio player is on the bottom left side of where you left foot rests while driving. The fuse box cover will tell which one it is. They are all numbered. Once the fuse was out, I disconnected all the connectors and took out the CD player.
Brought it into the house and took off the top. It just prys out held in place only by notches. Once the top cover was taken off, I noticed that couple of CDs did not align with the rest and were clearly out of alignment from the stack of CDs. Using a small screwdriver and very gentle pressure, I tried pushing them into the stack felling every nudge for resistance. I aligned the CDs as much as I could and installed the CD player back. Didn't really screw it in, just connected the connectors and fuse and started the car. Nothing. Still didn't work. So back it came into the house.
DGS

Oakley, CA

#8 Jun 19, 2009
Part 2 (continued from previous post):
This time, I took of the top and the front plate. The front plate is held in place by 6 screws, 4 on the side and 2 on the bottom. Once all the front plate screws were taken off, I pulled it out from the bottom with the top being hinged. Once it was lose from the bottom, I freed it from the notches/hinges on the top. Once the plate was off, it was kept face down on the counter. Note that the plate didn't separate completely from the player as it has a circuit board on the back that was connected by ribbon wires to the CD player. But it can be moved a few inches from the player assembly. Looking into the player from the front, I could see the bottom most CD edge. I could also see a white plastic spindle in the center that was supposed to hold the CD in the center hole of the CD which wasn't the case. So clearly that CD was out of alignment. Just kept nudging the CD around from the front of the player (and watching it from the open top as well) till the white spindle clicked and rose up into the center hole of the CD. THAT WAS IT. The spring mechanism clicked in and started arranging all CDs on the center spindle. This was without the CD player being connected to the power.
Hoping that the problem was resolved, I reassembled the face plate and the top cover. Took the player back to the car, installed the CD player connectors and fuse. Started the car and VOILA....the player turned on. FIRST thing I did was that I started ejecting all the discs. Once all the discs were out, I put in one that I knew was good. Demoed it and everything was working fine. I repeat...IT WAS WORKING. I was extremely relieved. I just saved myself $400 (or $200 if I had bought a remanufactured replacement CD player off ebay/online OEM parts dealers and did the installation myself).
The CD player console was then screwed into it's place. The center facia with the HVAC controls and the blower vents went back on next. Connected the connectors for it and just pushed it into place. I had to leave the gear lever into neutral position to give myself some room to work with facia and the CD player. Once everything was installed, I checked the roof light scwitch, HVAC controls, Hazard lights and CD/Radio playback using both CD player buttons as well as audio control buttons on the steering. After everything worked just as expected, I finally signed off the project.
Every time I had disconnected and reconnected the CD player, I had to enter the unlock code. You can find the unlock code on your service record booklet that came with the car literature. If not, the dealership can give you the code if you give them the VIN number.
DGS

Oakley, CA

#9 Jun 19, 2009
Part 3 (continued from previous post):

WHAT A RELIEF!!

Culprit: A CD from the Library for our 5 year old. The library CD had two stickers on top - one for the bar code and the other one for the security strip. These stickers increased the overall effective thickness of the disc and when inserted, these stickers caused the disc load mechanism to malfunction and the whole thing was stuck!

NEVER AGAIN am I putting a library CD or any other CD that has stickers on it in the player.
Sorry about the lengthy post, but wanted to share as much info as I could with you all. Sorry I was really frustrated with the experience and what I had to go through while "fixing" the player, so taking photos was not really on my mind. That said, it's really a simple fix. Just gave it the time it needed and was extremely gentle with everything (especially when working with the CD alignment) feeling for any resistance on every nudge.

Worked for me, might for you as well. Worth a try before spending high $$ for professional help.
DGS

Oakley, CA

#10 Jun 19, 2009
DON'T KNOW what happened.

For some reason part 1 didn't get posted. Wierd. Here it is...just read my last few posts in this thread in the right order and indicated within the posts and it should make sense.-:)

Here it is:

Part 1.

Friends, I recently went through a similar experience. I own a 2006 Honda Odyssey and the CD player stopped working all of a suddenly.
Took it to the "stealership" and they quoted $150 for labor (taking it out and installing again) plus cost of repair. The *estimated* total was about $375 to $400.
That qoute was enough to push me to trying something on my own, even if it meant ruining the player (Well, it was supposedly dead anyway, right?)
Came back home and looked around to figure out a way to get the CD palyer/console out. Nothing showed up. Service manual was about $20 with a week to deliver. While looking around, I stumbled upon an autoparts site that was selling a wood facia for the the dashboard and had instructions to replace the facia. The center piece of the facia happened to be just below the CD player console.
So that was my start. I just pried out the center facia (the one with the center HVAC control and vents) starting from the right side from inside of the right glove box (there's a notch there to start prying out), Once it was losely out I noticed a some wire connectors pluuged into it. Switched off the car, took the keys out and made a note of which connector went where and removed them. Off came the entire piece exposing the bottom of the CD player console.

Part 2 (continued from previous post):

The CD player console was held in place by 3 screws - one to the left, another to the right and one recessed about a feet deep on the center of the bottom. You need a flashlight and a relatively long screwdriver to get that one out. Once all the 3 screws were out, the CD player console was pulled out (even pressure from both sides). More connectors (4 to be precise) on the back. These were color coded so it was easy to remember. Before removing these, I took the fuse for the CD/radio out (instead of disconnecting the battery). The fuse of the CD/Radio player is on the bottom left side of where you left foot rests while driving. The fuse box cover will tell which one it is. They are all numbered. Once the fuse was out, I disconnected all the connectors and took out the CD player.
Brought it into the house and took off the top. It just prys out held in place only by notches. Once the top cover was taken off, I noticed that couple of CDs did not align with the rest and were clearly out of alignment from the stack of CDs. Using a small screwdriver and very gentle pressure, I tried pushing them into the stack felling every nudge for resistance. I aligned the CDs as much as I could and installed the CD player back. Didn't really screw it in, just connected the connectors and fuse and started the car. Nothing. Still didn't work. So back it came into the house.
ETC

Ashburn, VA

#11 Jul 2, 2009
DGS wrote:
DON'T KNOW what happened.
For some reason part 1 didn't get posted. Wierd. Here it is...just read my last few posts in this thread in the right order and indicated within the posts and it should make sense.-:)
Here it is:.........
Hi DGS,

THIS POST IS AWESOME !! I have the exact same problem and have been looking for a solution for weeks now. Thank you for posting !!

ETC
NNT

Reston, VA

#12 Jul 23, 2009
******* HELP *********
I have a same problem. CDs stuck inside 6 CD changer. displayed CD JAM error and later stopped working. I mean I cannot even switch to CD mode any more. Radio is working fine.
Took out the CD player (yes, followed instructions by a friend) fixed the jam CDs. before putting back everything together tried to test CD but still the same problem..
Checked the fuses, all are fine. Dont know what to do next. I do not want to put everything together without fixing the problem though.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Relieved in SC

Laurens, SC

#13 Aug 12, 2009
THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this and taking the time to write it!!!!!!! I am printing it out for my husband so he can fix my cd player. I also have a 2006 Honda Odyssey. I read a lot about this particular problem. Something they need to fix. Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!:
DGS wrote:
Part 1.
Scotty

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Aug 27, 2009
I just recenlty started having the same problem with our 07 odyssey. Seems to happen in the morning on the way to work. every minute or so it will jump up 2 points for one second and then back to the preset. Dealership can't duplicate it. Any ideas out there?

Scotty
Amber wrote:
Just recently my radio will lose the preset frequency. It will either bump up or down a few notches (example: preset is set for 105.7 it will jump to 105.9). It does it with all the presets. What's going on? Is there a button that was accidentally pushed? Any help would be great!
Scotty

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Aug 27, 2009
Is there anything the IPOD adapter for the 07 Odyssee? It came out recently and the dealer is quoting $425 to install it!

Scotty
Jeannette

Miamisburg, OH

#16 Aug 31, 2009
I have a 2004 Odyssey and I had it jumped yesterday Aug 30, 2009 and now the radio does not work. It shows the word error or code. This seems like it should be a recall problem. Does anyone know what to do? e-mail me at [email protected]
mini van man

Houston, TX

#17 Oct 22, 2009
belle wrote:
2006 Honda Odyssey Radio code
this is the easiest way!!! go to this website https://radio-navicode.honda.com/ enter the vin and the radio serial and you will have your code instantly!
vin number (bottom windshield) radio serial (glove box 8 numbers)
gremlinodyssey

San Clemente, CA

#18 Nov 11, 2009
Helloooo!

I read this excellent detailed post, & figured I can do that. I can pull my cd player out as well & take it apart, put the spindle back in place etc.

However...

I've got the Touring model. I have the Navigation Screen that is in the down position permanently because the 6 Disc CD changer has a Jammed CD. I got the trim piece off, all the HVAC connectors are pulled. But this head unit is a bit more challenging than I was expecting. I can't access the rear of the unit to disconnect the plug-in connectors. And even if I did, how am i going to reconnect them later if I have no access to behind the unit?

What a let down. I thought it was going to be easy peasy getting this thing out & back in working order. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but after taking apart as many pieces as I have to get to the stage I'm at, I feel inconfident removing additional parts without knowing which to focus on. I took apart the upper glove box's door hinges thinking this would grant me a better look & possibly space for an arm to get behind the changer, but no, that just made the door dangle funny.

Anybody know what I could do next let me know.

Thanks for your help.
dave

Cape Coral, FL

#19 Dec 4, 2009
Arty wrote:
I own a Odyssey 2006, and it is equiped with a 6 CD changer, Once my battery died, I had to change it. When I replaced the4 battery my radio required a code which I key entered. After doing that, my readio (AM and FM worked, but the CD did not work I wnet to the dealer and they told me that the CD's were stuck inside the unit and that is not under warranty. Have anyone had the same issue...?
i have the exact problem! Dealer told me it would be $850 for a new cd player! Something is not right.
dave

Cape Coral, FL

#20 Dec 4, 2009
I bought a used 2006 odyssey. The prior owner who bought it at an auto auction put in a new battery, and the same thing happened. The radio works, but the cd player does not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda Odyssey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
My honda odyssey won't start (Jan '07) Tue Justme 38
looking for a "Plus one" seat for the 2nd row f... (Jan '08) Mon Anees239 6
'03 odyssey radio power problem?? (Jan '07) Aug 22 Carl 144
Odyssey 2005 EX-L, Passenger Sliding Door - No ... (Apr '12) Aug 20 Mr Noor 31
Sliding doors won't open from inside (Dec '09) Aug 20 Harryagapidis 3
cost of timing belt replacement (Mar '09) Aug 15 Karen 121
2002 Odyssey - Open Doors, Battery, Brake indic... (Jul '13) Aug 13 liner 7
More from around the web