02 Odyssey transmission problem
liner

Boynton Beach, FL

#163 Jan 23, 2012
Jay wrote:
I have honda odyssey 2002 and 70,589 miles. i am getting Engine light and TLC light also, i went to AMMCO and they dignosis PO7000, PO7030 & PO7040 problems. ask me $1700.00 to fix this problem. i went to honda dealer they told me that we charge 106.00 for dignosis. is that honda company pays anything to change transmission for 2002 odyssey. please let me know if you know about it.
Your car is 10 years old. Unless you have a relationship with your Honda dealer, it's not likely they'll be willing to help you out. But it can't hurt to ask.
wayne

United States

#164 Mar 1, 2012
02 odyessy Honda trans 3rd time 211111 miles I figure take it to a non Honda shop 2000 dollars later no car payment and I'm good for another 80000 cheaper than a car payment when this one dies I'm gonna change brands and say goodbye to Honda oh and by the way most trans checks are free at non dealer shops
wayne

United States

#165 Mar 1, 2012
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Your car is 10 years old. Unless you have a relationship with your Honda dealer, it's not likely they'll be willing to help you out. But it can't hurt to ask.
they will help if you are persistent and beg they will give you a free oil change go to a non dealer shop and get a flat rate I bet its half or less what Honda quotes you
Tom

Murrieta, CA

#166 Mar 1, 2012
With due respect, this topic is now ten years old. We all know Honda had transmission issues in 2002. Do you think its time to put this one to bed?
Kaicanoe

Honolulu, HI

#167 Mar 15, 2012
Tom wrote:
With due respect, this topic is now ten years old. We all know Honda had transmission issues in 2002. Do you think its time to put this one to bed?
No, not time to put it to bed. They brag how durable Honda's are, and we've come to expect them to run like Toyotas, giving over 200k of trouble free miles.
We need to hear if anyone, especially now, has had any success with repair. My 2002 had 85k on it. I have faithfully changed the oil in it 3 times. Last change at 79K, & now it is slipping.
Go figure.
Tom

Murrieta, CA

#168 Mar 16, 2012
Kaicanoe wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not time to put it to bed. They brag how durable Honda's are, and we've come to expect them to run like Toyotas, giving over 200k of trouble free miles.
We need to hear if anyone, especially now, has had any success with repair. My 2002 had 85k on it. I have faithfully changed the oil in it 3 times. Last change at 79K, & now it is slipping.
Go figure.
While I understand how you feel, I too did maintenance on a regular basis at the dealership. At around 58,000. Replaced by dealership. At 141,000 it went out again. 83,000 miles on that one. Thank God about five months later someone hit me while driving, rolled me over three times, and totalled the car, along with the transmission issues!
I owned Hondas for over twenty-five years. Never had any issues. Kept the cars a long time, piling over 200,000 miles on all of them. I have a Ford Edge parked in my garage today. Pretty much done with the technically "foreign" makes from Asia. I'd consider something European in the Audi/VW family.
egv

Santa Ana, CA

#169 Jul 1, 2012
quest what my oddyssey 2002 just with only 46k, the trans. broke down on the freeway. just luck nothing happen i m still waiting to help me out with the cost
JLJ

Mobile, AL

#170 Aug 8, 2012
Tom wrote:
With due respect, this topic is now ten years old. We all know Honda had transmission issues in 2002. Do you think its time to put this one to bed?
Normally I would say yes except I bought a 2002 in November of last year and the transmission is on its way out I can run it in 2nd gear but not in drive (it bucks). If this was put to rest then I wouldn't be able to get the feed back that I am searching for. It looks dismal at best from what I am reading. But I have God on my side so I am not worried. I will let you know what happens. They have my 2002 van in the shop right now to give me a free evaluation. It is good to know that they don't fix the trans but only replace them. I will discuss this with them....in length..tomorrow.
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#171 Aug 9, 2012
JLJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Normally I would say yes except I bought a 2002 in November of last year and the transmission is on its way out I can run it in 2nd gear but not in drive (it bucks). If this was put to rest then I wouldn't be able to get the feed back that I am searching for. It looks dismal at best from what I am reading. But I have God on my side so I am not worried. I will let you know what happens. They have my 2002 van in the shop right now to give me a free evaluation. It is good to know that they don't fix the trans but only replace them. I will discuss this with them....in length..tomorrow.
Just remember, when you do get it fixed or replaced, keep on top of fluid changes. Annually even, depending on your mileage. With Honda OEM fluid also.
Jerry Glass

Alpharetta, GA

#172 Sep 2, 2012
I will never buy another piece of honda JUNK*
Jerry Glass

Alpharetta, GA

#173 Sep 2, 2012
will never another piece of honda junk*
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#174 Sep 10, 2012
Jerry Glass wrote:
will never another piece of honda junk*
you forgot buy.
Bob

Dublin, OH

#175 Sep 20, 2012
My 2002 honda odyssey transmission failed two years ago, Honda offered no customer assistance to us, even thought we always had the big service done by them (timing belt, 3 tran fluid changes, many of the oil changes and tire rotations (but not all), big service checks, even brakes.

Prior to the failure, I was always pleased with the honda odyssey. I thought it handled outstanding despite its weight and size. It had good acceleration, although I don't think we ever had to even go halfway to the redline to get enough out of it. It just seemed like a great product. I thought I would always be a honda consumer, until the transmission failed. It failed just like everyone else's failed.

After we had a 3rd party transmission shop repair for less with a 36 month warranty, opposed to hondas lame 12 month, we learned of some people that hired lawyers to write letters to honda about the matter, then honda fully covered their replacement. Too late for me, but everyone else should get a lawyer during, or immediately after the transmission failure. The transmission is a lemon, honda knows it.

Never a honda again, i was going to buy a new mower around the same time as the tranny failure. The honda lawnmower prior was a top consideration, but went with Toro instead after I ruled out honda due to their lack of support of their lemon product.

No... more... honda.

Experiencing problems now, GET A LAWYER. Don't carry the full financial burden of crap products upon yourselves.
Fethy

Brooklyn, NY

#176 Oct 7, 2012
I have honda odysse 2000 this is the 2 time igot check engine code p 0700 - p1456 can someone tell me what that mean?
Tom

Murrieta, CA

#177 Oct 7, 2012
Fethy wrote:
I have honda odysse 2000 this is the 2 time igot check engine code p 0700 - p1456 can someone tell me what that mean?
Fethy> Read the hundred-plus posts on this subject. In gentle terms, join the crowd.

Liner, one other thought on the 2002 issue with Odyssey transmission problems. You have posted over the months about fluid replacement and maintenance issues with this year transmission. I am convinced you could have replaced fluids on a weekly basis and it wouldn't have a positive affect on any of the transmissions that failed. Let's face facets that Honda had an internal failure issue with that transmission, period.
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#178 Oct 9, 2012
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
Fethy> Read the hundred-plus posts on this subject. In gentle terms, join the crowd.
Liner, one other thought on the 2002 issue with Odyssey transmission problems. You have posted over the months about fluid replacement and maintenance issues with this year transmission. I am convinced you could have replaced fluids on a weekly basis and it wouldn't have a positive affect on any of the transmissions that failed. Let's face facets that Honda had an internal failure issue with that transmission, period.
I agree with you, but I still think extra maintenance would at least give you a fighting chance.
Big Spank

Rockford, IL

#179 May 26, 2013
just had my 02 odyssey trans dump on me....I bought it with 112k on it WITH a rebuild trans...now Im at 187k and BAM! NO 3rd gear ...had trans flushed and all that reg. maint. but now im pissed I know its a 10+ yr old but like many others I Thought Honda was a good van to keep on going with min. problems....I mean b4 this I drove the hell out of a Toyota to 230k+ with original trans... no I gotta shell out 2,000+$ to have trans rebuild just so I an drive this to a dealership and trade for something else..
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#180 May 26, 2013
Big Spank wrote:
just had my 02 odyssey trans dump on me....I bought it with 112k on it WITH a rebuild trans...now Im at 187k and BAM! NO 3rd gear ...had trans flushed and all that reg. maint. but now im pissed I know its a 10+ yr old but like many others I Thought Honda was a good van to keep on going with min. problems....I mean b4 this I drove the hell out of a Toyota to 230k+ with original trans... no I gotta shell out 2,000+$ to have trans rebuild just so I an drive this to a dealership and trade for something else..
A rebuilt transmission is only as good as the guy who rebuilt it wanted it to be. You won't get anything on a trade, why not just get it rebuilt and drive it for another 100K or so.
Tom

Murrieta, CA

#181 May 26, 2013
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
A rebuilt transmission is only as good as the guy who rebuilt it wanted it to be. You won't get anything on a trade, why not just get it rebuilt and drive it for another 100K or so.
When I asked Honda about "fixing" my transmission problems I was told, "we just replace them, we don't fix them." I was convinced they replaced my first failed transmission with an equally disfunctional second transmission.

I did have the second trasmission rebuilt by a reputable transmission shop, priced reasonably, but never had a chance to see how long it would last. The car was totalled five months after the rebuild.
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#182 May 27, 2013
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
When I asked Honda about "fixing" my transmission problems I was told, "we just replace them, we don't fix them." I was convinced they replaced my first failed transmission with an equally disfunctional second transmission.
I did have the second trasmission rebuilt by a reputable transmission shop, priced reasonably, but never had a chance to see how long it would last. The car was totalled five months after the rebuild.
Too bad. Dealers usually have two options if they can't fix a transmission problem easily, order a factory rebuilt or install a locally rebuilt unit. Factory unit is better. Local unit is "you gets what you pay for".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda Odyssey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Michelin, Honda to Pay Out After PAX Run-Flat T... (Aug '09) Thu Nadine Kent 79
Honda Odyssey window trouble (Jun '07) May 25 chris fmc 81
2006 odyssey window do't roll down (Jan '09) May 21 cara 70
2006 Honda Odyssey Radio problem (Nov '07) May 17 liner 77
Maintenance required light on Honda Odyssey 2002 (Oct '08) May 14 Mlettyboop 30
Honda Odyessy known a/c defect ( condenser/comp... (Nov '08) May 12 corniepook2 110
honda odyssey radio code (Aug '07) May 11 isam 243
More from around the web