XayberOptix

Killeen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2010

I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey that was having trouble shifting from lower gear to higher gear. Usually, it happened from 2nd gear to 3rd gear but occasionally happened from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th. When this started happening, it felt like the van just wouldn't shift to the next gear and it would also rev high without shifting. Suddenly, the CEL (check engine light) came on. So I took it to AutoZone and they plugged in an OBD2 diagnostic tool (error scanner). It gave an error code P0740. They looked it up and it had something to do with the TCC (torque converter clutch). I couldn't believe this was happening! I had just bought the van a day ago from when it threw the CEL. I was in a panic. I called the mechanic who sold it to me AS-IS and asked about the problem. He couldn't give me a straight answer.:(
So I went on-line and researched this issue and found out that there were/are tons of people having the same issue with code P0740. In my research, I also ran into a website that was some kind of law suit against Honda for this very issue. The website is http://www.hondatransmissionsettlement.com . I read through all the documentation on the site but there was nothing that showed me how to fix my problem.
Feeling frustrated about this issue, I took it to an Authorized Honda Service Center. Before they can even look at my van, they made me agree to a $98 diagnostics fee. What other choice did I have if I wanted them to look at it? So I signed it. A regretful idea! Basically, all they did was plugged in a scanner just like AutoZone did and told me the same error code P0740. They also told me that it would cost me a little more than $3900 to replace the transmission and that that was the only way to fix the problem. I told them that I am entitled to a free repair according to the Supreme Court Settlement ruling (from the site I mentioned above). They called Honda Corp to try to get approval for the repair. Of course, Honda Corp turned it down because I was not the orginal purchaser of the van.:(
To say the least, I was feeling quite uncomfortable with all of this. But instead of just throwing the van away or selling it as junk, I tried to fix the problem myself. I'm not a certified mechanic but I am pretty handy with a wrench.:) From my research online, some mechanics were saying that it could be as easy as replacing a failed solenoid. So that's what I set out to figure out.
There are about 6 or so solenoids on the transmission. I started with the most obvious solenoid which is called the AT Shift Solenoid. It was located on the upper side of the transmission directly under the throttle body intake valve. There's not much room to work around the solenoid so hopefully if you are going to do this, you should have the right tools. I used a 6 inch or so 10mm monkey wrench. I had to remove the air intake tube and airbox cover to allow somewhat more room to work around. After about an hour or so of fiddling around with taking the 3 bolts off of the solenoid, I was finally able to get it off. When I looked at it, the 2 screens were dirty especially the round one. I sprayed some carburetor cleaner on them and used some Q-tips as well. Now, they look very clean! Look at the picture I made. I installed everything back and resetted the ECU. Afterward, I took it for a 30 minute drive around town.
WOW!!! There's no more hesitations with shifting and no CEL either! It drove just as good as when I test drove it at the time I bought it! To think that the Honda Service Center was going to charge me almost $4K to replace the whole transmission, I really feel relieved that I didn't get ripped off more than the $98 they charged for diagnostics! WHEW!!!
If you found this article helpful, please let me know. Thanks!:)
http://www.xayberoptix.com/fix_code_p0740.htm...
Tom

San Jacinto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2010

I looked at the web site http://www.hondatransmissionsettlement.com , entered my VIN number and my 2002 Honda Odyssey is "not covered under the settlement." After three transmissions in my 2002 Honda Odyssey, I will be writing to these people to find out why this vehicle is not covered and find out how to get others in the same position covered. More to follow.
Tom

Danville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2010

I don't think I received the notification on the class settlement even though I still own my 2001 Odyssey. I replaced my transmission late last year with under 100K. Since the warranty had expired, I took it to a transmission shop. Instead of repairing it, I replaced it with a refurbised transmission unit. Is it possible for me to file my request to be part of this class action lawsuit to recoup the expense on my replacement?
Tom

Danville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2010

BTW, my VIN is validated by the website to be valid.
vlad

Rome, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2010

Tranmission does not want to change to overdrive but works for the others?
Marco

Reading, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

I had a very near miss today in my 2002 Ody with 54K on it, always serviced as indicated in the manual. On 191 just north of New Haven doing a lane change at 60MPH getting back in to middle lane after overtaking a truck, all of a sudden the ody downshifts to low gear with the effect of doing a gear brake ON THE HIGHWAY WITH MY 10 YEAR OLD IN THE BACK! Luckily the truck driver was paying attention and JUST avoided ploughing right in to us. I had no idea what happened and after sitting on the shoulder for a few minutes letting my nerves calm I drove on the shoulder at 15MPH to the the nearest exit and parked and got a taxi to Hertz (we were on a trip from Newark to Boston). Given the severity of this sudden loss of transmission function (I assume that is what we have as it fits the symptoms described on this board) and the potential implications I am astounded that Honda have not taken preemptive action especially as it is obviously a known issue from what people have been writting on this forumn. I am fairly sure that my vehicle has not had any transmission recall in its service history. Don't these car company executives have any conscience? If my daughter was in the morgue tonight because of their gross negligence what would they say? 54K miles on a 2002 and catastrophic failure? I am still in shock.
Marco

Reading, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index...

If you go through to the 2002 Ody powertrain complaints you can see that this is a well known problem at both Honda and the NHTSA. Many others have apparently experienced this very dangerous gear braking on the highway as the transmisson fails (like stomping on the brakes at 50-60 MPH). Why has the NHTSA not acted? These are vehicles that parents transport their children in for the most part, how can there not be any action?
Harry

San Ramon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

I just bought a used 2002 Honda Odyssey EXL with 53K miles on it. Now I am worrying that the seller was selling the car because he anticipated the transmission will fail soon.

I agree with Marco and some others here that this is not a "reliability" issue but a "safety" issue and it should be recalled soon. It is sad but sometimes they only make the recall after serious accidents that involved DEATH happened and most people transport their most precious cargo (our kids) in these minivans.

I feel that if I re-sell the vehicle to someone, wouldn't I be the same as Honda Motors by keeping it a secret and let someone else suffer?

Would you recommend me to replace with a non-Honda transmission to avoid the issue even if it has not shown any problem at all? I dont want to be rear-ended while my kids are in the back seats. Also, for those who did the replacement with non-Honda transmission, how are your experience with it?

Thanks all for postings, its very helpful. I wished I checked these posts before buying my 2002 Odyssey.
Mike Moore-Memphis

Collierville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2010

We have a 2001 Odyssey that we purchased used with approx. 26,000 miles. Approx. 2 years ago, the transmission started slipping and catching real hard. My wife and (3) young kids were approx. 1 hour from home and stopped at a dealership in Jackson, TN (The current Victory Honda). They knew what it was when she pulled in there and advised there was a recall on the transmission. They arranged for a rental vehicle to be delivered to the dealership and my wife/kids were soon back on the road. They replaced the transmission with no cost to us, including the rental vehicle for about 3 or 4 days. If your Odyssey starts giving any indication of problems, take it in! Oh, we had about 82,000 miles on the transmission when this happened. Check for the recall information to see if your's qualifies TODAY.
liner

Elmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2010

Harry wrote:
I just bought a used 2002 Honda Odyssey EXL with 53K miles on it. Now I am worrying that the seller was selling the car because he anticipated the transmission will fail soon.
I agree with Marco and some others here that this is not a "reliability" issue but a "safety" issue and it should be recalled soon. It is sad but sometimes they only make the recall after serious accidents that involved DEATH happened and most people transport their most precious cargo (our kids) in these minivans.
I feel that if I re-sell the vehicle to someone, wouldn't I be the same as Honda Motors by keeping it a secret and let someone else suffer?
Would you recommend me to replace with a non-Honda transmission to avoid the issue even if it has not shown any problem at all? I dont want to be rear-ended while my kids are in the back seats. Also, for those who did the replacement with non-Honda transmission, how are your experience with it?
Thanks all for postings, its very helpful. I wished I checked these posts before buying my 2002 Odyssey.
What do you mean by a "non-Honda" transmission? The only one that could possibly fit would have to be one that was originally manufactured by Honda. It might be rebuilt by someone else, but it's still a Honda transmission.
Sunny B

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

I was driving my Honda 2002 past weekend. It was running fine for about 2 hrs and all of a sudden I saw a my smoke comming out of my engine. Stopped the van and found I had transmisstion or some fluid comming out and the engine was covered with it. Towed the van to Thomas Honda dealer and they did not find anything wrong with the van. They said, the transmission oil is full and everything checks out fine. Any idea what might have happened. Dealer says there is no damage to the engine. Only reason dealer said, if the transmission is over filled, the van will spit it out. Did anyone had similar issue? It has 83000 miles.
liner

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Sunny B wrote:
I was driving my Honda 2002 past weekend. It was running fine for about 2 hrs and all of a sudden I saw a my smoke comming out of my engine. Stopped the van and found I had transmisstion or some fluid comming out and the engine was covered with it. Towed the van to Thomas Honda dealer and they did not find anything wrong with the van. They said, the transmission oil is full and everything checks out fine. Any idea what might have happened. Dealer says there is no damage to the engine. Only reason dealer said, if the transmission is over filled, the van will spit it out. Did anyone had similar issue? It has 83000 miles.
Seems like you'd have to ID whatever fluid was spraying all over the engine. If transmission fluid, did you recently have it changed? Same thing with engine oil. I wouldn't let this go too long without finding out exactly what went wrong.
Marco

Reading, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

My 02 Ody Transmission went at 54K miles and almost caused a wipe out with a semi due to the gear brake effect when it happened. My 10 year old was in the car at the time, we were quite shaken up. Never towed anything and all services were performed at or before suggested interval. Honda's solution was $2700 bill for tranny. Needless to say my next vehicle will not be a Honda, their rep for rock solid reliability is gone. What a huge misstep by management. It will cost a lot of marketing and engineering dollars to rebuild it again.
Marco

Reading, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

By the way, was told that ODy tranny filters are not accessible unless you take the tranny apart so can not be cleaned or replaced. If you want to get the most out of your crappy Honda Tranny you would be best served by changing the tranny fluid every 15K
liner

Elmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

Marco wrote:
By the way, was told that ODy tranny filters are not accessible unless you take the tranny apart so can not be cleaned or replaced. If you want to get the most out of your crappy Honda Tranny you would be best served by changing the tranny fluid every 15K
Good idea......
moek777

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2010

I too have a 2002 Honda Odyssey. I bought my car into them within 9 months of buying the car in 2002 with an issue with the transmission. On April 22, 2004 they issued a recall for the 2nd Gear, which I never got. In 2006 they replaced my transmission after it went completely bad. Two weeks ago that transmission they put in BLEW UP and I went from 55 to 0 in 3 seconds on the parkway and I am lucky to be alive. Had the transmission replaced by a transmission place and they showed me the transmission that was in my car was not a Honda built transmission - I had no idea they replaced a recalled item with non-Honda product. You pay for HONDA - You should get HONDA. The service manager told me they could do that even though it says Genuine Honda parts! I will let the attorney general tell me if they can do that. Needless to say - NEVER WILL I BUY HONDA AGAIN! NEVER NEVER NEVER - FRAUD at its best.
moek777

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2010

liner wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean by a "non-Honda" transmission? The only one that could possibly fit would have to be one that was originally manufactured by Honda. It might be rebuilt by someone else, but it's still a Honda transmission.
There is a difference between Honda transmissions built by Honda experts and Honda transmissions built by MOE, LARRY and CURLEY with non-Honda parts(gaskets, etc.) They put a Moe, Larry and Curley transmission in my car and 40k miles later it blew up - Lucky to be alive - If you buy Honda and they recall it or guarantee it - They should put in a Honda transmission built by Honda experts with ALL Honda parts! BEWARE!
moek777

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2010

Tom wrote:
BTW, my VIN is validated by the website to be valid.
I had the same problem - They sold me a Canadian car in an American dealership - Try Canadian Honda. Call them and give them your VIN.
moek777

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2010

moek777 wrote:
<quoted text>
I had the same problem - They sold me a Canadian car in an American dealership - Try Canadian Honda. Call them and give them your VIN.
OOPS - Thought you wrote invalid - My VIN was invalid on the web site.
liner

Elmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2010

moek777 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a difference between Honda transmissions built by Honda experts and Honda transmissions built by MOE, LARRY and CURLEY with non-Honda parts(gaskets, etc.) They put a Moe, Larry and Curley transmission in my car and 40k miles later it blew up - Lucky to be alive - If you buy Honda and they recall it or guarantee it - They should put in a Honda transmission built by Honda experts with ALL Honda parts! BEWARE!
I could be wrong, but I'm not aware that any manufacturer rebuilds their transmissions themselves. Almost all contract that out. In my personal experience, a Subaru dealer installed a rebuilt transmission in my wifes car, which like yours, lasted 40K. I subsequently found out it was "rebuilt" by a local shop, notorious for being cheap and shoddy. Cheap being the operative word, as far as the dealer was concerned, being that he was responsible for the original transmission's demise.
There are many independent transmission shops that do a good job and will stand behind their work.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 81 - 100 of186
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

48 Users are viewing the Honda Odyssey Forum right now

Search the Honda Odyssey Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
2007 Odyssey Problems: Sliding Doors and Dashboard (Oct '07) 15 hr Marietta 58
2001 Honda Odyssey Power sliding door trouble (Feb '06) 16 hr liner 1,089
Honda Odyessy known a/c defect ( condenser/comp... (Nov '08) Jul 8 Ellen 93
cost of timing belt replacement (Mar '09) Jul 7 Sri 97
2003 Odyssey gear lever stuck in park. (Oct '09) Jul 3 DavidG 13
Honda Odyssey 2002 Loud squealing brake noise o... Jun 24 Marcia 1
Odyssey 2005 EX-L, Passenger Sliding Door - No ... (Apr '12) Jun 24 XYZ 8
•••

Buy a New Car