02 Odyssey transmission problem
John

AOL

#21 Mar 13, 2009
I bought a 2002 Odyssey new from Lia Honda in Albany, NY. Liked the car very much. Mostly highway driving. At 106K the transmission failed and I was stranded on I-90 in Mass. Estimate of $3500 from dealer. I confronted the service manager with the dozens of posts on the internet. He got Honda to replace the transmission, but I had to pay the $900 installation. Warranty of 12/12,000. That one failed at 42,000. My mechanic recommended a completely rebuilt transmission from Jasper Mfg. in Jasper, IN. Price of $3200 plus $800 installation. Kicker is the warranty of 100K miles. I did it and now have 176,000 miles on the car. Honda has been hiding this problem for years, and alienating customers. Same thing happened with the Acura MDX. I'm happy I did what I did.
Paul

Aurora, IL

#22 Mar 28, 2009
Hello i bought a 04 odyssey in august 08 and i got it for 500 bucks tranny gave out on me and my wife at 70 miles an hour and what happens is that that you look down and are running 6500 rpms and losing speed and smell the burning tranny fluid if there is any one who can help or wants to get something going as far as a class action suit email [email protected] me i am in indiana Paul Stockton please we are wanting to shake things up especially in these difficult times
Prad wrote:
Hi Folks
I just bought a 02 Odyssey.... 49K on it.
Turns out it had a recall...called Honda 800 number was told there is no extended warranty.
The tranny was replaced at 38K ...do you folks know ...do they replace with only rebuilt one or brand new ones.
And i guess once it had the problem it will continue to have the problem for ever and keep eating up trannies.
Does anybody here definitively know whether the warranty was extended for the '02s?
Also do you get signs that the tranny is about to go ....cause I just trembling with the thought that ...what if this thing gives in at 70 miles and hr on the highway???
Any advise

Since: Mar 09

Aurora, IL

#23 Mar 28, 2009
yea what happens is your tach hit 6500 and you lose speed and you hopefully pull of to the shoulder all while smelling tranny fluid burning and so on what i would like to do is get an action suit going i purchased a 04 odyssey and am haveing tranny problems like it dont work no more and i only have 190,000 on it
Prad wrote:
Hi Folks
I just bought a 02 Odyssey.... 49K on it.
Turns out it had a recall...called Honda 800 number was told there is no extended warranty.
The tranny was replaced at 38K ...do you folks know ...do they replace with only rebuilt one or brand new ones.
And i guess once it had the problem it will continue to have the problem for ever and keep eating up trannies.
Does anybody here definitively know whether the warranty was extended for the '02s?
Also do you get signs that the tranny is about to go ....cause I just trembling with the thought that ...what if this thing gives in at 70 miles and hr on the highway???
Any advise
Tamara

Boca Raton, FL

#24 Mar 28, 2009
Kacy wrote:
<quoted text>
Check out this site on Wikipedia. Click on the highlighted footnotes. It takes you to the bottom of the page. There you can follow the sites to the actual legal documents.
What site on wilkipedia. I want to see it, but your message doesn't give the site. I have a 2002 Odyssey with the same problems and 98,600 miles.
HondaHawaii

Honolulu, HI

#25 Apr 1, 2009
I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey, with only 87,000 miles on it.

In 2007, The check engine light came on and I took the Odyessy to the Honda dealer. Dealer said that the Solenoid value was saturated and needed to be flushed. Code P1456. Told the dealer that the Odyssey also has been hesitating and missing when accelerating. They said the EGR valve needed to be replaced. The mileage of the vehicle was 76,000.

Now at 87,000 engine check light on again, Honda dealer saying code P0740 need a new transmission.$4,300 to replace it. They said it's outside the 1999-01 TRANS WARRANTY EXT.

I called Honda Customer Relations to see what they could do in helping me with the cost or get it covered by expired extended warranty.

First call I got a customer service rep named April. She took down my information but was insisting that there was nothing Honda could do to help me. I asked if she could check on if someone higher could help me out. Wasn't the nicest customer service rep, not really helpful or sympathetic about my situation.

April called back a couple of hours later. Asked me how long I've been a Honda customer, if I own any other Honda vehicles. I told her I also have a CR-V and that I love my Honda(s).

She said a case manager would be calling me back, in the next 24-48 hours.

A gentleman named Jose Acosta then called me back the next day. Asked me about the Odyessy service history, how long I had the van and some other questions. He said next it would have to go to the Honda area/district manager for review.

That was a week ago and I'm still waiting to hear back from Honda. Hopefully, they call back soon, since we've been without the use of our van for little over a week.

I hope to hear good news, if not I guess I'll have to switch to a Toyota.
Tired

United States

#27 Apr 17, 2009
Irfan wrote:
Does anyone know if Honda extended the warranty for 02 Odyssey. I have 94K on it and some times transmission slips...Fluid was low and I added some but it still does some times. Any solutions/suggestions ??? When transmission not running, dip stick shows oil up to the bottom two holes of the stick...
They tell me no. I am now replacing a second transmision. the first at 40,000 miles and now 64,000 miles in the same car. They really need to do something about this.
Alan

Concord, NH

#28 Apr 22, 2009
Orange wrote:
Honda has extended the warranty on Odyssey transmission problems to 109,000 miles or 7 years and 9 months - whichever comes first.
<quoted text>
The transmission on our 2002 Odyssey is totally shot at 92,000. Where did you get the information that Honda has extened the warranty? Thanks!
Tom

Pacoima, CA

#29 Apr 29, 2009
We purchased a new 2002 Honda Odyssey EXL on October 1, 2001. At 57,000 miles the transmission was replaced due to a "recall." Now the car has 140,000 miles and the engine light came on. Honda dealer says "transmission needs replaced at a cost of $3530.00, plus tax." Honda will not repair a transmission. Their policy is to do a removal of the old unit and install a new one, and bill the customer. I talked to Honda USA with no help. I asked for a break in the cost from Honda USA and was denied. The dealer charged me $90 to tell me what the code was but unless they actually go into the transmission they have no idea what is wrong. It's like "oh the ashtray is filled, I guess I buy a new car instead of emptying the ashtray." (I don't smoke it's just an analogy)

I see something about a class action in some of these posts. Can someone give me some input into this?
Steve Columbia Md

Gaithersburg, MD

#30 Apr 30, 2009
We have a 2003 Odyssey with all major service done at the local dealer. Current milage is 107,000. The transmission now will not shift down to first, but stays in 3rd gear unless you manually shift it down. We are told we need a new transmission $3500. I called Honda America and all they would do for me was tell me that I was 70,000 miles out of warranty, and they were sorry but they would do nothing for me. Is there a class action suit I can join?
Hanan

Kailua Kona, HI

#31 May 7, 2009
Tom wrote:
We purchased a new 2002 Honda Odyssey EXL on October 1, 2001. At 57,000 miles the transmission was replaced due to a "recall." Now the car has 140,000 miles and the engine light came on. Honda dealer says "transmission needs replaced at a cost of $3530.00, plus tax." Honda will not repair a transmission. Their policy is to do a removal of the old unit and install a new one, and bill the customer. I talked to Honda USA with no help. I asked for a break in the cost from Honda USA and was denied. The dealer charged me $90 to tell me what the code was but unless they actually go into the transmission they have no idea what is wrong. It's like "oh the ashtray is filled, I guess I buy a new car instead of emptying the ashtray." (I don't smoke it's just an analogy)
I see something about a class action in some of these posts. Can someone give me some input into this?
Same situation here, 140K on 2002 EXL. The dealer quoted me 4000$+tax for the replacement. Honda agreed to pay 25%. I didn't take it, as I can get it fixed by an independent car shop for 2500$ or less.
lasthonda

United States

#32 May 10, 2009
I have a 2002 odyssy with 94000 miles, same problems as reported by everyone here. Transmission slips, wont find the gear etc. There was a recall on the transmission few years back (2004 )however the dealer did not replace the transmission, only installed a "cooler", the timeing belt tensioner was also replaced. It is one of the worst cars I have ever owned. needless to say, this will be my last honda ever. Quality? are you kidding me?
Alan

Concord, NH

#33 May 11, 2009
Here is the information that I have found concerning the warranty for Honda Odyssey vans. There was an extension to the warranties for the the 2000 and 2001 vans because the transmissions in these models had serious problems. Honda has not extended this same warranties to the 2002 vans that have had the same failures as the 2000 and 2001 vans. Clearly Honda did not solve the problem and probably didn't care because they knew the transmissions would fail outside the warranty period. Honda refuses to extend any "good will warranty", as I was told by our local Honda dealer, because of the economic times. This, to me, is a pitiful excuse by Honda. I will never buy a Honda vehicle again. Good bye Honda and welcome Hyundai. Hyundai offers a 10 year or 100,000 mile warranty!
Tom

Mountain View, CA

#34 Jun 14, 2009
I ran into the same problem with my 2000 Odyssey. It has about 95,000. My wife noticed the hesitation and both the TCS and the Check Engine light on. My son, using a diagnostic tool OBDII to read the reason, was able to read there was a solenoid failure. I brought it to one of my mechanic. He told us it could be a bigger problem, the transmission. He suggests to us to drive the car like a semi-automatic. Adjust the gear while stop and start because the car runs normal when it is on the highway. Only notice the hesitation when accelerating in some cases. We hope we might be able to delay the replacement.

I always trust Honda but this incident completely change my love of Honda.

Does any know if this problem happens to Honda imported from Japan, other than those assembled in Canada?

Hesham Benali

Libya

#35 Jun 16, 2009
Hi every Bady
-WHY TCS ALWAYS LIGHTING ON
-IHAVE ALWAYS PROUPLEM IN (A/T) TO HOT
IM FROM BENGHAZI LIBYA HAW CAN IGET SPEAR PARTS FOR 2001 HONDA ODYSSEY EX 3.5VTEC
michiganlee

Flint, MI

#36 Jul 11, 2009
I own 2002 Oddyesy van and used to be a useful transportation. Last week transmission slips and found similar problms. Milage is 104000 and 6 years 11 months. Is there any recall warrant available?

Thank you for the comments.
Tom

Pacoima, CA

#37 Jul 11, 2009
michiganlee wrote:
I own 2002 Oddyesy van and used to be a useful transportation. Last week transmission slips and found similar problms. Milage is 104000 and 6 years 11 months. Is there any recall warrant available?
Thank you for the comments.
----------
You are in the same boat as the rest of us. My conversations with Honda USA have been useless. As I posted before, our 2002 Odyssey EXL had the original transmission replaced (on recall) at about 58,000 miles. That replacement transmission went out at 141,000. The car is maintained well and not abused in any way to warrant multiple $3500 transmission replacements. I had the transmission rebuilt locally at a reputable business offering nationwide guarantee for much less than Honda's original quote for a replacement. By the way Honda mechanics at the local dealership here are on commission. I can't see this dealership offering any incentive to help their customers save money when the mechanics are getting a piece of the action. I talked with the VP at the dealership and all he wanted to do was sell me another car.
Henry

United States

#38 Jul 18, 2009
This has happened to my 2000 Honda Odyssey awhile back, but I thought it would be interesting to post it here.

My transmission went out about 99,000 milles. The dealer's stated:"that Honda's knew about this problem and decided to extend the warranty on the tramission to 100,000 miles". Am I lucky? They will replace it for free but I have to pay for labor cost.

Guess what. It broke again after at 120,000 miles so I went to the wrecking yard and purchased the used transmission. The car is now 200,000 and I am about to purchase a new Van but this time I will go for Toyota instead.

HD
Brian

United States

#39 Jul 24, 2009
They didn't extend warranty, however there is a recall for the 200 Odessey's
Irfan wrote:
Does anyone know if Honda extended the warranty for 02 Odyssey. I have 94K on it and some times transmission slips...Fluid was low and I added some but it still does some times. Any solutions/suggestions ??? When transmission not running, dip stick shows oil up to the bottom two holes of the stick...
Dorothy

Peterborough, Canada

#41 Sep 16, 2009
Steve Columbia Md wrote:
We have a 2003 Odyssey with all major service done at the local dealer. Current milage is 107,000. The transmission now will not shift down to first, but stays in 3rd gear unless you manually shift it down. We are told we need a new transmission $3500. I called Honda America and all they would do for me was tell me that I was 70,000 miles out of warranty, and they were sorry but they would do nothing for me. Is there a class action suit I can join?
We have a 2003 Odyssey and are replacing the transmission at 130,000 Miles. They tell me there is no recall for that vehicle. We are definitely not buying another Honda.
DP - San Jose

Oakland, CA

#42 Sep 29, 2009
My 2000 Odyssey has transmission trouble again...
The transmission was replaced once already under
warranty. I have had the vehicle 10 years next month and it currently has 151k miles. I haven't contacted Honda yet....but it sounds like we are on our own.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda Odyssey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
honda odyssey radio code (Aug '07) May 26 Lpena93 255
2005 Odyssey shaking/vibration May 25 Mike Knowles 1
odyssey soft brake issue (Jan '08) May 22 eksine 43
Maintenance required light on Honda Odyssey 2002 (Oct '08) May 21 Awesome 36
No power to overhead Rear Entertainment System/... (Jan '09) May 17 Ashley Tebelius 20
Windows and a/c hose May 17 Stuck in sac 1
Radio code May 17 Monique 1
More from around the web