02 Odyssey transmission problem

Posted in the Honda Odyssey Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Irfan

Darien, IL

#1 Jan 29, 2008
Does anyone know if Honda extended the warranty for 02 Odyssey. I have 94K on it and some times transmission slips...Fluid was low and I added some but it still does some times. Any solutions/suggestions ??? When transmission not running, dip stick shows oil up to the bottom two holes of the stick...
Odyssey Brother

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Mar 10, 2008
Irfan, here is my Odyssey '02 deal. My check engine light is on,(86,000 miles) the dealer ran a diagnostic check and came back with a code P0700-transmission malfunction and incorrect gear ratio. The dealer says Honda will replace the $4500 transmission if we pay the $990 labor. Note, we are not having any noticable transmission problems yet. Good Luck!
cindy

AOL

#3 Apr 24, 2008
I have same issue at 93K any luck on finding more info?
Irfan wrote:
Does anyone know if Honda extended the warranty for 02 Odyssey. I have 94K on it and some times transmission slips...Fluid was low and I added some but it still does some times. Any solutions/suggestions ??? When transmission not running, dip stick shows oil up to the bottom two holes of the stick...
RED

Orange, TX

#4 Apr 29, 2008
Just paid 3rd party shop $2500.00 to repair my '02 Odyssey transmission with 82K miles. Called dealer today to see if Honda had extended warranty but was told no.$1000.00 labor for a new T "now" sounds like a sweet deal to me.'02-'03 have known problems. Maybe time for another class action suit!
Orange

Spring, TX

#5 May 7, 2008
Honda has extended the warranty on Odyssey transmission problems to 109,000 miles or 7 years and 9 months - whichever comes first.
RED wrote:
Just paid 3rd party shop $2500.00 to repair my '02 Odyssey transmission with 82K miles. Called dealer today to see if Honda had extended warranty but was told no.$1000.00 labor for a new T "now" sounds like a sweet deal to me.'02-'03 have known problems. Maybe time for another class action suit!
Sforeman

Mesa, AZ

#6 May 7, 2008
I have had the same issue on a 2002 Odyssey (64k miles). The 'check engine' light went on and the transmission started to slip. We took it to the dealer who told us the engine control module (the computer) and the transmission needed to be replaced. The cost was over $4,000! However, out of the goodness of Honda's heart they would pay 75%. I thought that this was ridiculous and told them so, for such an obvious quality problem that many people are experiencing they should cover 100%, especially since this is the 9th brand new Honda our family has purchased. After consideration they REVOKED their offer (Terry from Honda America made this decision and would not allow an escalation).

Now I have to pay $4k to fix their quality.

Rest assured I will sell the car, and NEVER buy another Honda. Their demeanor, approach and lack of accountability for this SAFETY issue is appalling. My family is not safe in a Honda automobile.

As a fun note, the dealer did offer $3,000 for the car. These guys are unbelievable.
RMaybury

United States

#7 Aug 13, 2008
Just back from trip and 2000 Odyssey is hesitating on gear changes and snatching when colde, OK when warmed up. USA Honda saying since vehicle was registered 8 yrs and 8 months ago they don't intend to help me on the issue, even though my mileage, at 106,200 is under the warranty mileage limit of 109,000. So they are trying to duck a known problem because of age, which is ridiculous. Mechanical failure depends on the distance travelled, not how long the vehicle sat in the garage being used less than the average 15,000 miles per year
saude

Oshkosh, WI

#8 Sep 29, 2008
I have a 2002 Odyssey and just had the transmission replaced by Honda. Honda picked up the $3400 parts, but I had to pay the labor,which was 780. I wrote Honda in Cal and asked if they would consider picking up all or 1/2 the labor costs. Still waiting to hear.I have 98,000 on it. I like the vehicle, and plan on keeping it..
Odyssey_Xmission

Centreville, VA

#9 Nov 5, 2008
I have a 2002 Odyssey and the transmission won't shift into lower gear and now the "malfunction" light has come on. Called the local dealer and Honda and both replied that my VIN number is not covered under the class action suit. Don't know how could that be? The dealer quoted $3300 for fixing the problem. Where can I get more details on the class action suit? Any help will be highly appreciated.
Tom U

New Haven, CT

#10 Nov 21, 2008
I have a 2000 Odyssey with 90,000 miles. The check engine light came on and I had it diagnosed. They said the transmission needs to be replaced - something about the 3rd gear switch. Is this part of a class action lawsuit or under extended warranty?
Wally

San Diego, CA

#11 Nov 29, 2008
I have a 1999 Odyssey and my transmission needs replacing again!!! I replaced the transmission in 2005, luckily the warranty covered most of it. But this time I'm going to have to pay $2500 to replace.
LarryE

Lilburn, GA

#12 Dec 2, 2008
Odyssey_Xmission:

I'm in the same situation. On the Odyssey wiki page it states that the class action lawsuit only covers up to 2001 year models(and 109K miles), but Consumer Reports says the 2002 and 2003 models still had reliability issues with the transmission.

I was told "tough luck" by the Honda service manager at two different dealers, so I'll be out $4000. I bought a Honda(over my old Toyotas) b/c Honda had a good name for reliability and customer service. Now, I know to never buy a Honda again. You pay extra for the Honda brand, but things still break and they don't back up their work.
RScaiano

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#13 Dec 3, 2008
Can you please tell me where you got this information? I would like to take it to my Honda dealer.

Thanks!

"Orange"]Honda has extended the warranty on Odyssey transmission problems to 109,000 miles or 7 years and 9 months - whichever comes first.
Prad

Santa Clara, CA

#14 Dec 16, 2008
Hi Folks

I just bought a 02 Odyssey.... 49K on it.
Turns out it had a recall...called Honda 800 number was told there is no extended warranty.

The tranny was replaced at 38K ...do you folks know ...do they replace with only rebuilt one or brand new ones.

And i guess once it had the problem it will continue to have the problem for ever and keep eating up trannies.

Does anybody here definitively know whether the warranty was extended for the '02s?

Also do you get signs that the tranny is about to go ....cause I just trembling with the thought that ...what if this thing gives in at 70 miles and hr on the highway???

Any advise
Bobby

AOL

#15 Dec 29, 2008
2002 Honda Odyssey. Purchased new. All scheduled maintenance completed on time and oil changed every 3,500 miles. Trans started slipping at 54,000 miles and Honda says tranny is not covered. Dealer stated Honda had a trany problem on 2000-2001 models and covered it but decided not to cover 2002 models even though they have the same probem. No help from Honda. My 1996 Toyota Camry has over 200,000 miles with no problems. Guess what manufacture will get my busines sinthe future. I will be spreading the word about the quality and lack of responsibility Honda has taken in this matter.
Lin

Newport Beach, CA

#16 Jan 6, 2009
Orange wrote:
Honda has extended the warranty on Odyssey transmission problems to 109,000 miles or 7 years and 9 months - whichever comes first.
<quoted text>
Do you know where this information can be found? I have a 2001 odyssey and received a notice from Honda to extend the warranty to 100,000 miles or 7 years from the original purchase. Thank you.
Lin

Newport Beach, CA

#17 Jan 6, 2009
RScaiano wrote:
Can you please tell me where you got this information? I would like to take it to my Honda dealer.
Thanks!
"Orange"]Honda has extended the warranty on Odyssey transmission problems to 109,000 miles or 7 years and 9 months - whichever comes first.
Have you had any luck of finding this information source? I am also in need of this to go to my dealer. Thank you.
Tek

Randolph, NJ

#18 Jan 10, 2009
Lin wrote:
<quoted text>Have you had any luck of finding this information source? I am also in need of this to go to my dealer. Thank you.
I contacted Honda America and they interceded on my behalf with my dealer. Ended up getting a replacement transmission installed. These guys at Honda America want repeat customers so they will really go out of their way to assist if they can by working with the dealer to help with any issues like transmission warranty etc...
I guess they want you to come back as a repeat customer.

By Phone
At our toll-free number: 1-800-999-1009

http://automobiles.honda.com/information/cust...
Kathy

Walla Walla, WA

#19 Jan 26, 2009
Hi my transmission went out about 120 milles do honda corporation still pay some or not at all?
And another thing , the car came from Canada, is that a probeme?
Kacy

Lawrenceville, GA

#20 Jan 29, 2009
Lin wrote:
<quoted text> Do you know where this information can be found? I have a 2001 odyssey and received a notice from Honda to extend the warranty to 100,000 miles or 7 years from the original purchase. Thank you.
Check out this site on Wikipedia. Click on the highlighted footnotes. It takes you to the bottom of the page. There you can follow the sites to the actual legal documents.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda Odyssey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Odyssey 2005 EX-L, Passenger Sliding Door - No ... (Apr '12) 11 hr Shiva 37
honda odyssey radio code (Aug '07) Apr 23 Santos 254
resetting radio on odyssey (Oct '06) Apr 19 Amanda 1991 98
Problem with Navigation system (Jan '09) Apr 13 Sylvia 13
Charging AC unit Apr 12 olverjr123 1
2006 Honda Odyssey Power Windows Alive? (Nov '07) Apr 11 Miguel c 27
Wanted Plus One Seat (Tan/Beige) for Odyssey 20... Apr 9 mubeen22 1
More from around the web