2003 Honda Odyssey peeling paint

2003 Honda Odyssey peeling paint

Posted in the Honda Odyssey Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Shanna B

Mainz, Germany

#1 Aug 2, 2007
2003 Honda Odyssey in midnight blue. Paint is peeling from above the rear windows and above the driver's side sliding door. Anyone else having trouble with this? American Honda Motor Co. says they will not cover the cost due to the warranty being expired (3 year/36,000 miles). I have seen other complaints with this same problem. Heard from one person saying a Honda dealership said midnight blue seems to be having the most trouble. Paint should not peel, especially in these areas! Obviously a paint or painting defect.
Sanjay S Patel

Redgranite, WI

#2 Aug 22, 2007
i have a same problem with my midnight blue paint also deler say some one have repainted the car! but in fact never been paited . honda is giving run around and also telling i have too many mile cant be coverd .
honda dont have specific on paint there warrenty misliding under the rust warrenty , if i would have known honda have so cheap paint and warrenty would not evan buy 33,000 vehical!does any one know what can be done.
J Pawela

Upper Marlboro, MD

#3 Sep 4, 2007
Yes! I also have a midnight blue Odyssey (2004) and the paint is peeling above the driver's side sliding door. It seemed to start very suddenly and it seems to be coming off quickly. I haven't been to the dealer yet, but I sure am glad to know there are others experiencing this and that it's not something I did.
Jack A

Upper Marlboro, MD

#4 Sep 8, 2007
2003 Odyssey, Midnight Blue, 25K Miles. Paint peeling in the same areas on the car that the others report. This car has been well taken and was bought brand new. I am 99% sure the peeling started just after the warranty expired -- interesting timing. Our local dealer says they will call us for an appointment when the Honda Rep. is in town. It's been three weeks now -- no word. I really hope they cover this obvious defect or I will never buy another Honda and I will advise everyone I know not to as well. A lik;ey $2000 to $5000 dollar repair on a car that only has 25k on the odometer is rediculous. Japanese cars have really been letting be down lately in general. I expect complete reliability from them and have been let down by my Hondas and Nissans in the recent years. I love German cars, but have always been scared to purchase them due to their reported reliability issues. I think it's time to consider some other vehicles.
Bill Pfeiffer

Tarpon Springs, FL

#5 Sep 22, 2007
I've had the same thing happen to my 2003 Odyssey, Midnight Blue. I've had separate sections of the car painted twice due to the paint peeling. Luckily my repairs were covered under warranty. Seems like a recurring problem with this batch/paint color of the Honda Odyssey.
Jack A wrote:
2003 Odyssey, Midnight Blue, 25K Miles. Paint peeling in the same areas on the car that the others report. This car has been well taken and was bought brand new. I am 99% sure the peeling started just after the warranty expired -- interesting timing. Our local dealer says they will call us for an appointment when the Honda Rep. is in town. It's been three weeks now -- no word. I really hope they cover this obvious defect or I will never buy another Honda and I will advise everyone I know not to as well. A lik;ey $2000 to $5000 dollar repair on a car that only has 25k on the odometer is rediculous. Japanese cars have really been letting be down lately in general. I expect complete reliability from them and have been let down by my Hondas and Nissans in the recent years. I love German cars, but have always been scared to purchase them due to their reported reliability issues. I think it's time to consider some other vehicles.
H Ordonez Metairie La

Metairie, LA

#6 Sep 23, 2007
I have the same problem also.
Please let me know if you have any success with the dealer, because this is definily a defect in the paint.
I have about 1/2 of foot paint off my hood, it happened in just 2 seconds with a regular hose while I was washing the van.
jjw

Bloomington, IL

#7 Sep 25, 2007
I have the same problem too. But my odyessy is light blue. And the dealer told me to contact Honda because it is not cover in my warranty.
Sandy L

Cotati, CA

#8 Oct 11, 2007
We have a 2003 midnight blue Odyssey and the paint is peeling above the passenger side sliding door. The defect is large (12" or thereabouts). We called American Honda Motor and was assigned a case, but similar to other posters, we are waiting for the dealership to call us for an inspection appointment to assess whether Honda will pay to repaint. Has anyone had any luck with getting Honda to pay? We're out of warranty now.

Our car was purchased brand new and always garaged. Quite frustrated at this point.
Collin M

Regina, Canada

#9 Oct 22, 2007
2003 Odessey, Not blue but grey w/ green flecks, driver side passenger door began peeling and has since cracked exposing the rust underneath. I have had no contact with my Honda dealership yet.
JoAnne

Woodland Hills, CA

#10 Oct 29, 2007
My 2004 Navy Odyssey was also peeling above the doors and they are covering it even though it is out of warranty. They said there was a memo about it happening in the dark blue color. I did have to be approved by a regional (district?) manager but there was no problem at all. Got a replacement car and everything - everyone ask again!
Steve B

Draper, UT

#11 Nov 3, 2007
2003 Odyssey - midnight blue. about 10 different patches on the roof, some over a foot in diameter. Peeling along the tops of the sliding door, and new this past week, a nice 2 inch chip of the hood. I am the second owner of this car, so I hope I don't get too much of a run around. Relieved to see several others having the SAME EXACT problem....
Susan

Waco, TX

#12 Nov 27, 2007
JoAnne, where are you located? I'm having the same problem with my 04 Odyssey, and have checked with several dealers, to no avail. Would love to know how to get more information about the memo.

Thanks!
JoAnne wrote:
My 2004 Navy Odyssey was also peeling above the doors and they are covering it even though it is out of warranty. They said there was a memo about it happening in the dark blue color. I did have to be approved by a regional (district?) manager but there was no problem at all. Got a replacement car and everything - everyone ask again!
Jessica

Prairie Hill, TX

#13 Nov 30, 2007
Same problem, peeling paint on Midnight blue 2003 Odyssey. Same runaround from dealer. I would also love any information anyone has gotten from their dealer or honda.
Margaret

Rohnert Park, CA

#14 Dec 1, 2007
I just found this forum, and it describes exactly my color and problem around the windows which I
saw this morning. I hve the extended warranty and they just told me paint isn't covered. period.
I bought the car new. I am having trouble with
the sliding doors + the front passenger window just dropped one day -- a motor broke.
John

Mililani, HI

#15 Dec 19, 2007
I have the same problems with my Honda Odyssey Midnight Blue Paint peeling. I have 45,000 miles and isn't covered. Also have problems with the rear vent windows stopped working.
Mark Wellander

Auburn, AL

#16 Dec 28, 2007
I have a 2002 Odyssey, Tefta White. The paint is also peeling oner the drivers side sliding door. There are also spots above the rear hatch door on the roof and inside door. I have repaired these areas however, when I went to work on the rear roof area, the masking tape pulled away more paint. It seems that the paint did not adhear to the primer. Some areas that just popped off had rust below it.
Bradley

Norfolk, VA

#17 Dec 31, 2007
I'm sure glad that I'm not the only one with this problem. I have a 2003 Odyssey Midnight Blue. At first I noticed paint peeling from the hood. The dealer said it was because a rock hit it. I couldn't believe how ignorant he was. At this time it was about the size of a hot dog bun. I have just returned from a long road trip driving in the rain and now it's the about the size of a basketball. It's also peeling around the left rear window. Hopefully this will be taken care of or I will never buy another Honda.
Mark Wellander

Avon, IN

#18 Jan 3, 2008
It is very frustrating. When I selected the Odyssey, I never thought paint could be a problem. I decided to repair myself and though it was time consuming, I learned alot about painting with the help of my father who had the equipment and some "self-taught" experience. Luckly, my paint was not metallic. I don't think we could have pulled it off. Anyway, I expect I will see more paint popping off in the future so I have saved the paint can and made notes along the way.
Bradley

Norfolk, VA

#19 Jan 4, 2008
Bradley wrote:
I'm sure glad that I'm not the only one with this problem. I have a 2003 Odyssey Midnight Blue. At first I noticed paint peeling from the hood. The dealer said it was because a rock hit it. I couldn't believe how ignorant he was. At this time it was about the size of a hot dog bun. I have just returned from a long road trip driving in the rain and now it's the about the size of a basketball. It's also peeling around the left rear window. Hopefully this will be taken care of or I will never buy another Honda.
I am writing back to say that after contacting Honda and my local service dept. manager, I was able to get the problem resolved and Honda will be covering the cost to repaint all affected areas.
Mark Wellander

Avon, IN

#20 Jan 6, 2008
That's Great Bradley! Did you learn anything from them that might help anyone else with the same problem? Did they give any insight as to why it is peeling or did they accept responsibilty that it was a prep or paint mix flaw?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda Odyssey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Michelin, Honda to Pay Out After PAX Run-Flat T... (Aug '09) Thu Nadine Kent 79
Honda Odyssey window trouble (Jun '07) May 25 chris fmc 81
2006 odyssey window do't roll down (Jan '09) May 21 cara 70
2006 Honda Odyssey Radio problem (Nov '07) May 17 liner 77
Maintenance required light on Honda Odyssey 2002 (Oct '08) May 14 Mlettyboop 30
Honda Odyessy known a/c defect ( condenser/comp... (Nov '08) May 12 corniepook2 110
honda odyssey radio code (Aug '07) May 11 isam 243
More from around the web