Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2007

Judged:

Can anyone tell me whether I can use another type/size tire on a 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring Model? The current tire on my Touring model is 235-710R460A.
I've moved myself and my car to Australia, and all the tire companies tell me they don't have that tire. I'd either have to have someone mail a set to me from the US, or have a company replace the wheel assembly.
Will another size work? Like the one for the non-touring model (235/65R16).
Thanks,
John
MELISSA

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

MUST USE NEW WHEEL WITH TPMS SENSOR
Joe V

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2008

Judged:

I priced the 2008 odyssey touring regular rims to see if they would be a option to replace the PAX system on my 2007 Odyssey. Online the new rims with TPMS were almost $2000.00 plus tires. Has anyone else done this and got a better price?

You would think that Honda would get smart and realize they are losing customers. This is my first Honda purchase and will be my last if Honda does not do the right thing. Honda needs to offer all the PAX system owners free rims to replace the PAX rims. I pay for tires since I would need to buy them anyway but not for rims.
hawaiangecko

Ewa Beach, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2008

Judged:

JOE,

My wife and I bought an 07 Honda Odyssey and like with so many others we didn't do the research and found that the pax system is not only hard to get here but very costly (bad on us, a military family). Any way the reason Iím writing to you guys and gals is because I may have found the answer to the problem.... The 2008 Honda Odyssey came out with the opition to get the pax tire system or not. Well here's the good part, the Odyssey is coming off the factory floor with pax, but at the dealer you have to ask for the Odyssey without the pax system, its a one time shot. Good news for us is here is the part number 42700-SHJ-L91 disk (17X7J)(disk to Honda means wheel)... At the dealer youíre looking at $589 a rim not including all the other stuff.... you can compare the info on http://www.slhondaparts.com/ . This is a Honda parts store in CA. Here you can get what you need to change over to no pax system. My wife and I are waiting until we come back state side to change over as we only have a little over 11,000 miles on the tires, and a year left here in Hawaii. If you have any questions or you would like to see the whole invoice from Honda Windward here in Hawaii here is my email address: vianabk@msn.com. I hope this helps!
Joe V

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2008

Hey thanks for the information. I'll keep this site in my favorites. I was searching the web to see what other Pax system owners have done and one guy posted that he got over 58,000 miles out of his tires buy inflating them to over 36 PSI per tire instead of 33 and 35 PSI as honda recommends.

Anyway it sounds like the 08 rims are the way to go.

Joe
Sandpiper

Bradford, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

I,m in the same soup on the tire problem, our 05 touring model with PAX tites has 32000= miles. and I looked into purchasing EXL wheels and tires, but they won't pass our PA. inspection. bscause of wheel change. wow!.

Maybe the next best move would be to trade it on Toyota-sorry Honda, but you deceived me.I,m not about to spent upward of 3 grand on a vehicle with 32000 miles.

BVX

Since: Jun 08

Woodruff, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

Check around with your local Michelin dealers. The Discount Tire chain has facilities and warehouses that let them take your old wheels and tires in trade and then rebuild them for later resale. The cost is about $200 per tire and $200 to ship the set for a total of about $1000. We were in a hurry so went to the local Honda dealer which now has the equipment. They charged $1250 for a set of 4 installed on the old rims. I was told it takes 3 hours to do a set, so labor is much higher than a typical tire change.
kbbrown

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2008

We purchased a 2007 Touring and after only 22000 miles had to replace 2 tires and come to find out the Pax tires can only be replaced where they have the expensive equipment to do it.$300+ per tire... Oh, how P-Oed we were! After calling different dealerships about trading them out for regular rims and tires, not one dealership told me the same thing, they can, they can't. So we went back to the dealership where we purchased it they gave us a great deal and we traded it in for a 2008 Touring without the Pax tires. Loved my 07, hated the expensive, cheap tires!
Jean

Trenton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Does the 2007 Touring came with a spare tire?
Joe V

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2008

Judged:

Jean wrote:
Does the 2007 Touring came with a spare tire?
No the 07 does not come with a spare but it does have all the other equipment. I bought a spare for my 07 just in case we need it. Cost about $280.00 for the spare.
I'll need it anyway because when I find a good price on some 17 inch rims that will fit my 07, I am taking these PAX tires and rims off.
I was looking forward to being a Honda owner. Unless Honda steps up and offers all the people stuck with PAX rims new non-pax rims this will be my first and last Honda purchase.
SsG

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2008

Judged:

I have a Honda Odyssey with PAX tires - nothing but trouble, both the tires and the lack of support. I get the run around from Michelin and the dealer regarding who to call. I have replaced two tires due to flats and the other two are completely bald right now. I need to know my options and how to get tires on my vehicle now. Who is responsible - Honda or Michelin? Is there a National Class Action Suit to get this resolved?
Robert

Mississauga, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2008

After spending coupe of hours resarching the PAX tire problem for my 06 Odyssey, I came accross this web site:

http://www.diyhonda.com/2008/07/podcast-episo...

This info was just posted today. I called CollegeHills Honda to verify the info and yes, they have an official solution for de-PAX. They even posted pricing on their web for basic kit and you can download the episode showing how it is done. Great, I think this will answer all you questions.
Joe V

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2008

Hey has anyone put 18 inch rims on instead of the 17 inch replacement rims? How is the ride?
Tom S

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2008

I just installed my 18 inch replacements and will let you know how they are.
Tom S

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2008

Now that I have tested my 18 inch tires (Acura rims and Kumho Road Venture tires) I can tell you the following. The original PAX tires appear to be about 17 inch rims. That is probably the ideal replacement rim/tire size. A 16 inch will give a softer ride and poorer handling and an 18 inch will give a slighter harsher ride but better handling. In the case of 16 inch tires, the change in handling would be minimal and certainly not detrimental but I am sure you would notice it in turns. With the 18 inch tires the ride is slightly harsher and road noise slightly higher but the handling is impressive. Whereas I was always making slight correction changes on the highway with my PAX tires, it now tracks like it is on rails. If the ride is too harsh you can always choose a softer tire that will minimize that. So, with that said, if the same rims/tires I bought were available in a 17 inch I probably would have picked them for a slightly softer ride. But I am very happy with the 18 inch tires and the handling improvement is very nice. One caveat, the Honda dealer wasn't able to do a 4-wheel alignment because they said the 'tires stick out too far'. The rims probably have about a cm difference in offset and the tires are an inch wider, so they do stick out a bit more than a stock Odyssey. They said they were updating their equipment, so I think it was more a matter of them not being able to handle an 18 inch tire on and Odyssey and not a safety concern for me. I have an appointment with an independent dealer to get an alignment there. FYI, I purchased my tires/wheels from an ebay dealer who specializes in this and he also came up with a complete doughnut spare so I am set. He has done a bunch of these De-Pax sets and knows what he is doing. Hope this helps.
Robert

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2008

Judged:

Yes, I purchased aftermarket wheels (17inch) and 226/55/17 size tires to match. You just need to make sure the bolt pattern on the replacement wheel match. I took the tire pressure monitors out of the old run flat tires and had them installed in the new tires. Runs just fine and a large upfront fee that from now on will just be replacing regular tires of MY choice. Good Luck.
John S wrote:
Can anyone tell me whether I can use another type/size tire on a 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring Model? The current tire on my Touring model is 235-710R460A.
I've moved myself and my car to Australia, and all the tire companies tell me they don't have that tire. I'd either have to have someone mail a set to me from the US, or have a company replace the wheel assembly.
Will another size work? Like the one for the non-touring model (235/65R16).
Thanks,
John
anteralb

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2008

I bought my Honda Touring when it first came out in 2005. We use the van to drive my kids around and for a couple of times a year long distance driving to other states. A couple of months ago I had to buy a new tire because of a nail on one of the tires. I was shocked to know that in Vegas, there are only 2 shops who have special equipment and a trained technician to replace PAX tires. I was also shocked that the tire could not be fixed compared to ordinary tires. Before, I had peace of mind knowing I could still drive up to 125 miles with a flat tire. But know I'm worried every time we drive out of town that me and my kids could get a flat tire and no shop with special equipment and trained technician within the 125 miles maximum you could drive flat. I'm also worried of the cost of replacing a tire so I watch the road more intensely for any object that could get my tire punctured. Honda should do the right thing and replace the PAX tires at a minimal cost to Touring owners or they'll lose long time and loyal customers.
Greg V

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2008

Robert wrote:
Yes, I purchased aftermarket wheels (17inch) and 226/55/17 size tires to match. You just need to make sure the bolt pattern on the replacement wheel match. I took the tire pressure monitors out of the old run flat tires and had them installed in the new tires. Runs just fine and a large upfront fee that from now on will just be replacing regular tires of MY choice. Good Luck.
<quoted text>
Robert, how difficult was it to take the tire pressure monitors out of the PAX tires and put them in the new wheels/tires?
Jon

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

My dealer in summer of 08 told me it would cost $3000 to replace the tires since the wheels had to be replaced at the same time. I held off and just started researching a DePax route here in early November 08. I called the Honda dealer to see if they can do a DePax and they said they now can replace the tires without replacing the wheels. So, the $3000 is now down to about $1150, or the same cost of a DePax. Still, the long-term costs are high, but that is the cost of having run-flats.
Greg V

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

I went to my trusted tire store and ordered new wheels (17 inch)($175 each), tires ($200 each), and new tire pressure monitors ($75 each). There were only a couple of wheels that would fit on the '07 Touring. But now I am going to have better tires that require no special equipment to fix or install. It costs me quite a bit more up front, but that cost is a one time cost and I will have much better tires moving on from here...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

19 Users are viewing the Honda Odyssey Forum right now

Search the Honda Odyssey Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Window Control Switch Drivers side ho7 7 hr mikevio 1
2006 Honda Odyssey Leaking Water (Mar '09) Aug 15 James S 90
Odyssey 2005 EX-L, Passenger Sliding Door - No ... (Apr '12) Aug 14 danang1 11
Passenger Door won't lock/ unlock (Feb '06) Aug 13 07 Odyssey door l... 19
Horrible Gas Milage in 2007 Odyssey's (Apr '08) Aug 11 liner 26
2001 Odyssey Leak in Trunk? (Aug '06) Aug 9 diyer 55
resetting radio on odyssey (Oct '06) Aug 9 sheliat 62
cost of timing belt replacement (Mar '09) Aug 8 kim 100
Honda Odyessy known a/c defect ( condenser/comp... (Nov '08) Jul '14 Raj Patel 94
•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••