2004 Honda Odyssey Seat Belt Stuck

Posted in the Honda Odyssey Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hoops

Dallas, TX

#1 Oct 17, 2007
The far rear passenger side shoulder seat belt is locked and will not come out. I have tried just about eveything I know. Car on. Car off. Pull gently. Pull hard. Anyone seen a problem like this and can offer a simple tip? We have had the van for 3 years, and this is the first time we have tried to use that belt.

Thanks!
dan

Huntsville, AL

#2 Sep 19, 2008
Hoops wrote:
The far rear passenger side shoulder seat belt is locked and will not come out. I have tried just about eveything I know. Car on. Car off. Pull gently. Pull hard. Anyone seen a problem like this and can offer a simple tip? We have had the van for 3 years, and this is the first time we have tried to use that belt.
Thanks!
Didn't see any answers to your post. I've got the same problem on my Odyssey. Did you ever get a solution?
Jim Hertzig

United States

#3 Nov 4, 2008
We had that happen but worse. My 10 year old got stuck in it. He was in it in such a way that i could not get to the latch. He did not just put the belt over himself he had it wrapped around him. It would not release when we turned the car off and was ratcheting tighter. We had to pull over on the NJ Turnpike at night and i had to cut the belt. I brought the car to the Honda dealer to have the belt replaced... I asked if they would do it for free but never got a response... they never billed me.
Erin

United States

#4 Nov 17, 2008
I've got the exact same problem with my Honda O, 2002. The middle passenger side shoulder seat belt is stuck. Usually I can hand force some of the strap that's already out back into the slot, and then something releases and that usually does it, but not this time. I am wondering if the strap is not double sided (folded together) at some point down in the slot that holds the slack and that may be causing the problem. We've had some issues on the middle driver side too, but not as finicky. It's very frustrating. I've also tried the pull gently, pull hard tricks and so far nothing is consistent. Has anyone found a solution yet??

Thanks...
Rhonda

Chico, CA

#5 Apr 12, 2009
I have had the same problem with all of the rear seatbelts in my Odyssey. Very frustrating. My son also has gotten stuck in his seat belt with it ratcheting tighter and tighter. Fortunately I got him to calm down and we manouvered him out.
Kellie

United States

#6 Apr 26, 2009
We had the same thing happen in our Honda Odyssey. My 7 yr old had the belt wrapped around him and it kept tightening and tightening and we finally had to cut the belt. It is a $500 repair (I already called the dealership to find out).

Did you pay for yours to be replaced? You said you never got billed? Appreciate your response. Thanks.
James

Bellwood, IL

#7 Sep 8, 2009
You can undo the nut down at the bottom of the belt (near the floor). That will give you some slack. Then you can release some of the belt in and pull it back out...Then reattach the nut. That worked for us.
mike

Fort Walton Beach, FL

#8 Oct 23, 2010
We had the same problem with the left rear seat belt it locked and ratcheted on my daughter, had to cut it off of her, 180 dollars for the part and 180 for the dealer ship to change it.
jmr8302

Daytona Beach, FL

#9 Nov 2, 2010
James wrote:
You can undo the nut down at the bottom of the belt (near the floor). That will give you some slack. Then you can release some of the belt in and pull it back out...Then reattach the nut. That worked for us.
Ahh thank you! this worked for us & def saved us some $$. Sorry to hear that this seems to be a fairly common problem tho!
brian

Fond Du Lac, WI

#10 Dec 21, 2010
I tried loosening the bolt and get some more slack, however it just pulled in a little further and i can't get the bolt reattached. I guess the dealer is next huh?
Ashish Patel

Ottawa, Canada

#11 Apr 21, 2011
I had same problem with 2001 model last month. my 4 years old son got stuck in the middle of hwy and the belt was keep pulling in not getting released. my wife and son were crying so bad..didn't have any tools to cut the belt, thanks GOD rest area show up in 5 minutes. pulled out ran to Quiznoz restaurent and borrow the knife and cut the belt. it was worst experience of my life.. i don't know whom to blaim..well since i got emergency kit in my both car. Is this belt user replacable? any link or video? thanks.
Fariba

Cary, NC

#12 Aug 23, 2011
We had a similar experience last night. My cousin's 10 years old son got stuck and he could not breathe. We tried everything to loosen the belt and unlock it but nothing worked. We had to cut the belt. It is amazing that there is no mechanism to get the belt unlocked. One would think cutting the engine off and then restarting it would do the trick. I called Honda Customer Service and they said they NEVER had anyone report this problem. Would you guys please report your incidences so that they are on the record?
Gabriela

Kearny, NJ

#13 Jul 17, 2012
Wow... I can't believe I'm reading this. The seatbelt also locked on my 6 yr old daughter. Didnt said anything to us until she tried to get herself out but ended up having the seatbelt around her neck. We didnt have nothing to cut the seatbelt with so I called 911. Miraculously they arrived in minutes.. Thank God my baby is ok! I still keep thinking about it.. Definitely going to report it!
Richard

Radford, VA

#14 Aug 7, 2012
Gabriela wrote:
Wow... I can't believe I'm reading this. The seatbelt also locked on my 6 yr old daughter. Didnt said anything to us until she tried to get herself out but ended up having the seatbelt around her neck. We didnt have nothing to cut the seatbelt with so I called 911. Miraculously they arrived in minutes.. Thank God my baby is ok! I still keep thinking about it.. Definitely going to report it!
We had the same traumatic experience. Our 10 year old girl go stuck. We had to pull off the WV 19 interstate and luckily had scissors in the glove box. It was horrific panic and she has abrasians along her trunk from squirming and trying to get out. We are grateful to God that those $1 kid scissors were in the glove box!!
Richard

Radford, VA

#15 Aug 7, 2012
We had the same traumatic experience. Our 10 year old girl go stuck. We had to pull off the WV 19 interstate and luckily had scissors in the glove box. It was horrific panic and she has abrasians along her trunk from squirming and trying to get out. We are grateful to God that those $1 kid scissors were in the glove box!!
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Aug 8, 2012
Most rear seatbelts are designed to lock when first extended completely, then allowed to retract. This is to accomodate child seats. Don't extend the belt all the way if you are belting in a child(not in a child seat).
Esther

Dayton, OH

#17 Sep 21, 2012
Scariest day of my life! My 4 year old daughter wrapped the rear seat belt around her neck 3 times. She was stuck and when I tried to get her out it was too tight. Luckily, I was in the Home Depot parking lot. A man getting out of his car came over to help me. He had a box cutter and was able to cut the seat belt off of her. There should be an emergency release on seat belts!
Karen Taylor

Miami, FL

#18 Oct 6, 2012
I have a honda odyssey. One time my granddaughter was choking on a peppermint candy and I couldn't get her out of the car seat. I was panicking because she was getting no air, at all, and the darn thing was so tight I was having difficulty unlatching the latch on the seat. I've always thought there should be an emergency release latch at a more easily accessible area on both car seats and car seat belts. We put our children in a restraint to keep them safe, but the very thing could endanger them. I carry an instrument to break a window, I guess we should also carry some sharp instrument for seat belts. Problem is, getting to it in an accident. an emergency latch would be easier.

OK, my problem is, I found a stray dog and picked her up. It was in the winter in the mountains, very cold. I left her in the car while I was in and out of places looking for her home. I hadn't realized it, but I guess she thought the seat belts were like leashes, she chewed them up! Big dog...

Is there an option to replacing them such as restitching?? If not, where should I order replacement belts. The dealer wants too much to replace them and I need 3.

Thank you.
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Oct 9, 2012
Karen Taylor wrote:
I have a honda odyssey. One time my granddaughter was choking on a peppermint candy and I couldn't get her out of the car seat. I was panicking because she was getting no air, at all, and the darn thing was so tight I was having difficulty unlatching the latch on the seat. I've always thought there should be an emergency release latch at a more easily accessible area on both car seats and car seat belts. We put our children in a restraint to keep them safe, but the very thing could endanger them. I carry an instrument to break a window, I guess we should also carry some sharp instrument for seat belts. Problem is, getting to it in an accident. an emergency latch would be easier.
OK, my problem is, I found a stray dog and picked her up. It was in the winter in the mountains, very cold. I left her in the car while I was in and out of places looking for her home. I hadn't realized it, but I guess she thought the seat belts were like leashes, she chewed them up! Big dog...
Is there an option to replacing them such as restitching?? If not, where should I order replacement belts. The dealer wants too much to replace them and I need 3.
Thank you.
I don't think anyone makes after-market seatbelts. IMO, they're too important to just dismiss as "too expensive".

Since: Dec 12

Los Altos, CA

#20 Dec 8, 2012
I have a Honda Odyssey '07. The seat belts are disintegrating. It started with the seat belts in the last row. The have started to shred. We have had the seat belt replaced 3 times. It happens at the point where the seat belt come out of the box into the car. We have given up on it. We can't use the last row seats. Now the same thing is happening to the second row seat belts.
Honda has no explanation. They blame our children? The folks at Larry Hopkins Honda in Sunnyvale have their head in the wrong place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda Odyssey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Odyssey 2005 EX-L, Passenger Sliding Door - No ... (Apr '12) 13 hr Chris 34
resetting radio on odyssey (Oct '06) Feb 16 cool9997 96
Flashing 'D' light (Jun '06) Feb 12 Muhammad Junaid 94
2001 Honda Odyssey Power sliding door trouble (Feb '06) Feb 11 joel19 1,125
No power to overhead Rear Entertainment System/... (Jan '09) Feb 7 dali854 19
2005 Odyssey tire issue (Dec '06) Feb 5 Megen 18
Slide Rear Door - seat belt stuck (Feb '09) Feb 4 Tom 7
More from around the web