smokes on startup
hiendl

Las Vegas, NV

#1 Mar 2, 2011
hi, i have just put engine back together and have about 1500 miles on it. the problem is it smokes blue when i start it up but not everytime. its not just a little smoke but a lot and it lasts for about ten minutes. then all is fine. most of the smoke is coming from the right exaust. the oil level hasent gone down any and runs fine exccept the initial smoke screen. i had the heads gone over and new stem seals installed by the local machine shop. i honed and put new rings in also. any help would be appreciated.
david

Kokomo, IN

#2 Aug 8, 2011
I have a 86 1200 with only 18000 miles on it and it has never had the engine opened or messed with and it has the same embarassing smoking habit as your engine does. The oil stays at the same spot on the dipstick. They tell me not to worry about it. Easy for them to say.
hiendl

Las Vegas, NV

#3 Aug 8, 2011
hi david, i read your response and i pitty you to. i know its from oil seeping into the cylinder seeping around the rings or thru the valve stems while it is at rest. mine does not smoke every time for some reason or other. dont know if i broke a ring on re assembaly or what but it runs great. o well good luck with yours.
Highear

Sunnyvale, CA

#4 Dec 12, 2011
I find my bike does that occasionally when I use the side kickstand, especially if it has sat for a time, try using the center stand and see if it helps or changes, Barry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda Goldwing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Honda Goldwing After Market Electrical Parts Jan '15 Moto Electrical 1
News Honda builds its 300 millionth motorcycle (Nov '14) Dec '14 SHlTWORMDAEGUDEBD... 9
News A Review of the Yamaha Royal Star Venture Motor... (Jun '08) Oct '14 v rider 49
GPS upgrade (Sep '14) Sep '14 Lou Money 1
Shimmy na direção da Gold Wing 2012 (Aug '14) Aug '14 Enoch 1
clutch switch diode (Jun '14) Jun '14 CARD1 1
uclear 200 (May '14) May '14 Green Bay 1
More from around the web