1997 Honda CRV
Chuck Norris

Calgary, Canada

#41 Feb 26, 2009
Josh wrote:
I have a 97 Honda Crv that shuts off as well and was told it was the ignitor module, I bought a new one , but dont know where the old is located on the engine to replace it. Can anyone tell me where it is located?
The parts stores usually supply free instructions on how to change the part you bought.
Chuck Norris

Calgary, Canada

#42 Feb 26, 2009
EVERYONE wrote:
<quoted text>
I have same issue with 2007 CRV
I had similiar problem, 12 hours in the garage @ dad's house and found out that it was loose connections inside the distributor cap. I changed alot of parts to find this out. When the wires heat up, the connection loses power and then power to the spark plugs starts to die and turn orange...then you stall.
s friesen

Saskatoon, Canada

#43 Jul 29, 2009
I have had the same problem with my vehicle just shutting off and sometimes starting by self. There was a recall on the ignition switch and I had that replaced. The problem was still there. the check engine was on and I was told it the top dead centre sensor, I had this replaced and now I have not had any problems (cross my fingers). Repair was $700.00.
Paul Novak

San Diego, CA

#44 Jan 27, 2010
What was your result? We have the same problem. Please respond to [email protected]
Robert wrote:
My kids pulled my plug wires on 97 crv. I have no spark. Could the ignition module been blown by trying to start with open plug wire? The ignition fuse is good and there is power to the distributor connector.
frdjohns

Erie, PA

#45 Mar 3, 2010
Caroline wrote:
My Honda completely turns off while I'm driving it.
Anyone else with this problem?
Yes - I had this happen to me in my 97 CRV. After many mechanics and several dealers, it turned out to be the ignition switch. Once replaced, the problem never returned.
michael

Orange Park, FL

#46 Aug 9, 2010
I have a 97 crv..Just a few weeks ago,sometimes it would not start when I urned the key over..I could hear a clicking noise somewhere in my front passenger side..After a few times though,it would start..This happened a total of about 3 times the past few weeks.This morning,I went to start it and it did the same thing except now it woint start lol..It feels like that clicking noise is inside my engine fusebox..Is there a fuse for starting the mnototr? perhaps the 40a fuse labeled IG?
liner

Bronx, NY

#47 Aug 9, 2010
michael wrote:
I have a 97 crv..Just a few weeks ago,sometimes it would not start when I urned the key over..I could hear a clicking noise somewhere in my front passenger side..After a few times though,it would start..This happened a total of about 3 times the past few weeks.This morning,I went to start it and it did the same thing except now it woint start lol..It feels like that clicking noise is inside my engine fusebox..Is there a fuse for starting the mnototr? perhaps the 40a fuse labeled IG?
How about the battery going bad? How old is it?
michael

Orange Park, FL

#48 Aug 9, 2010
well..im gonna try to jump it when a friend gets here...but its fairly new,although I bought it used from advance..I dont think its that however,as every time this has happened,i usually mess around with stuff and it starts up,with the starter cranking fine.I also just looked at the main ignition fuse and it doesnt appear to be blown
erica

Annapolis, MD

#49 Jan 26, 2011
in mt honda crv 1997 the check engine light remains on. Do u think it could b da distributor cap or something that is connected like spark plugs.
db from Hawaii

Honolulu, HI

#50 Mar 29, 2011
Chuck Norris wrote:
<quoted text>
I had similiar problem, 12 hours in the garage @ dad's house and found out that it was loose connections inside the distributor cap. I changed alot of parts to find this out. When the wires heat up, the connection loses power and then power to the spark plugs starts to die and turn orange...then you stall.
Hey, my 97 CRV dies out also....just cuts out....took to Honda dealers 4 or 5 times changed valve, changed ingition, took to a Goodyear shop, no one can figure it out. COuld it be they all did not look at the distributor cap and wires? How easy is it for me to do.....the guys at Pflueger Honda Service is sick of me and I of them by now.....Help!
Chinook

Jasper, Canada

#51 Jan 29, 2012
Just driving along,and all of a sudden the engine cuts. It always starts again right away. Beginning to happen more frequently. Do y'all think it's the distributor cap? Please advise - I'm extremely poor and desperately need my vehicle to transport me and my 90 year old mother. Thank you!
96 CRV owner

Ireland

#52 Feb 12, 2012
JoeBob wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such thing as a '96 CRV
Of course there is
96 CRV owner

Ireland

#53 Feb 12, 2012
and I'm looking for a distributor, anyone know if a Hitachi part will fit it? thanks
Chinook

Hinton, Canada

#54 Mar 14, 2012
db from Hawaii wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, my 97 CRV dies out also....just cuts out....took to Honda dealers 4 or 5 times changed valve, changed ingition, took to a Goodyear shop, no one can figure it out. COuld it be they all did not look at the distributor cap and wires? How easy is it for me to do.....the guys at Pflueger Honda Service is sick of me and I of them by now.....Help!
Hey db! Did you ever resolve the problem with your 97 CRV? I have the same problem.
tony

Hagatna, Guam

#55 Apr 28, 2012
I replaced cam and crank seals on 97 Honda CR-V.vehicle started good after repairs. vehicle was running for about 5mins, engine stalled, will only crank no start. checked for spark (no spark found). removed distributor cap and check for spark at coil tower (put wire in tower and grounded other end to engine, still no spark.
Dayana

Buffalo, NY

#56 Aug 14, 2012
I have a 97 honda crv that slowly shuts down while iam driving have done couple things still dont find problem does anyone have an opinion?
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#57 Aug 14, 2012
Dayana wrote:
I have a 97 honda crv that slowly shuts down while iam driving have done couple things still dont find problem does anyone have an opinion?
Transmission dying? Running out of gas?(fuel pump)
Jim

UK

#58 Dec 16, 2012
Honda CRV 97 Repalcement ignition modules are only £25.00 they are hidden under the distibutor cap (3 X star screws to remove)then rock car in gear to get rotor arm pointing towards you (front of car) so you can gain access to screw at rear of rotor arm, use a mirror and torch to do this.
Remove rotor arm and dust cover remove two electrical wires (2 X star screw) then two top module screws. Remove and replace module.
Distributor assembly

Bullard, TX

#59 Jan 2, 2013
I had 2 aftermarket distributors installed on my 1997 CRV. One lasted 6 miles, one 7,400 miles. Cannot afford a genuine assembly, aftermarkets seem worthless. Any one with luck out of a wrecked one?
Any suggestions??
Chinook

Hinton, Canada

#60 Jan 3, 2013
Dayana wrote:
There was an ignition switch recall for the 97 CRV. I had the same problem with shutting down, and Honda honoured the recall in early summer 2012. I was very impressed, and am happy to report the problem is completely solved. I'm a Happy Honda person!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda CR-V Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
fuel gauge and fuel warning light say empty but... (Aug '07) Jun 23 Steve fry 71
Honda needs to take responsibility for AC probl... (Apr '12) Jun 15 jeanine 77
Honda CRV Air Conditioner problems (May '07) Jun 15 jeanine 1,425
1999 CR-V Cylinder Head Problems (Jul '06) Jun 13 bubby1 239
CR-V headlight problem (Jan '09) Jun 8 Bruce 219
My Clutch in my 1998 Honda CRV is not working (Nov '08) Jun 5 liner 26
1999 Honda CRV w/ transmission problems (Jan '07) May '16 rex_ignacio 206
More from around the web