1999 Honda CRV w/ transmission problems
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#145 Jul 7, 2011
Martin wrote:
I have a 2002 CRV automatic that, at times, acts as if it's a standard and the clutch is being let out too quickly.You know, hurky jerky between shifts. I temporarily correct this by turning the ignition off then on again. It usually works first time and is fine until the after it's been sitting for awhile. It only occurs when the engine light is on. I've had no clear answer from the dealership. It's annoying not debilitating. Any ideas.
Martin, you certainly seem to have a transmission or control unit problem. You aren't helping it by driving it in this condition. I suggest stay far away from the dealer and find a local independent transmission shop.
scott

Auburn, Australia

#146 Jul 13, 2011
mr dave wrote:
I also have a 2003 Honda CRV. When the drive gear is engaged, the "D" indicator on dash board after a few miles starts to flash. Why is this ?
3rdpressure switch is problem
scott

Auburn, Australia

#147 Jul 13, 2011
drive light flash 3rd pressure switch problem
kim m

Atkinson, NH

#148 Jul 19, 2011
mr dave wrote:
I also have a 2003 Honda CRV. When the drive gear is engaged, the "D" indicator on dash board after a few miles starts to flash. Why is this ?
My "D" indicator did work for 4 years and a few months ago it just came back on by itself.... I have no idea why...
James

Edmonds, WA

#149 Jul 20, 2011
Bill V wrote:
I have a 1999 Honda CRV that seems to have a transmission problem. Occasionally while driving, it seems it won't shift above 2nd gear. Then it begins shuddering as if it's slipping out of gear. Finally, it seems to be in neutral. After stopping you can move the gear shift through all gears with no affect. It seems to stay in neutral. The problem corrects itself (temporarily) if you turn the engine off and back on.
The kicker is that my mechanic, a Honda specialist, has tried twice and cannot make the problem happen. So he doesn't know what to do.
Any suggestions?
I had a 99 Sable that did this. It was the speed sensor. Pain in the butt, but once replaced the car ran really well.
nicolas

Béarn, Canada

#150 Aug 13, 2011
Anne Spring TX wrote:
I have a 2003 CRV with 38,000 miles.
When I make a left turn at 30 mph or higher, I hear a grinding noise from the right front wheel.
Anybody know what this may be?
check your ball joint.
nicolas

Béarn, Canada

#151 Aug 13, 2011
OlMax wrote:
My daughter bought a used 2005 CRV, bought extended 2 year warranty which ran out at about 88,000 miles four months ago. She drove through some small tree limbs and removed them from the running board and under car. She heard a whinning or scraping sound but everything seemed ok.Drove it another 1000 miles and the shifting problem started. The bearing that carries the rear drive shaft went out and debris from the bearing curculated though the rest of the transmission. Tried to get a road hazzard claim through insurance but the adjuster claimed he could find no impact marks that the limbs might have caused and therefore no help. Honda dealer said it was a bearing failure and the car now has 100,000 so all the guarantees were out of effect. She bought a remanufactured transmission and had it installed. After 200 miles the rear end developed a loud cluncking noise when you turn. We are going back to the insurance company with another claim. We had the rear end fluid replacement about 6 months ago but this clunck is more pronounced so I think the limbs effected the whole problem. Anyone have any suggestions how to deal with them. Haven't heard from Honda mechanic yet but hope this should help our claim for the whole mess.
honda crv's rear axle has a history of breaking.
nicolas

Béarn, Canada

#152 Aug 13, 2011
also,

i had my fluid tranny sensor changed a while back on my 03 cr-v. the sensor thinks there is no oil so it idles the engine and does not allow the tranny to shift.

happened to my pregnant wife on a long road trip to see her sister.

i've had weird issues w. this honda, my first. i thought i had bought a reliable 5star car compared to the americans. love the drive but there is always a breakage somewhere w. this car that just aint cheap. other then the tranny bugs, the ac compressor and the front shocks for example.

lots of buggers. i think this will be my last honda.
ABDUL RASHEED

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

#153 Aug 26, 2011
I have a Honda CRV-1999 . Recently the O/D off light is flashing continues . Tried pushing the O/D button , but the flashing still exists .
Can somebody please explain the advantages / disadvantages of this and advise me the possible solution ????
Appreciate very much .
Thank you .
Joey

Chatswood, Australia

#154 Sep 23, 2011
Hi i have a HONDA CRV 1999 - i just purchaed it.
But im having an issue. it seams to be really low geared. in 3rd gear i am doing 3 1/5 thousand revs and in 5th gear i am reving out at 4 thousand and above??? any ideas??/
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#155 Sep 24, 2011
Joey wrote:
Hi i have a HONDA CRV 1999 - i just purchaed it.
But im having an issue. it seams to be really low geared. in 3rd gear i am doing 3 1/5 thousand revs and in 5th gear i am reving out at 4 thousand and above??? any ideas??/
Is it shifting into 4th gear? Going into O/D? Accelerate smoothly on a clear road and note each time it shifts, by watching the tachometer drop. You might not feel it going into O/D, but you should see a few hundred RPM drop when it does. If not, it's off to the transmission shop for you!
concerned about 98 crv

Newburgh, IN

#156 Sep 27, 2011
I have a 98 crv autmatic trans. The maintenance required light is on, but i dont think thats relevent to the problem. The vehicle never gave any sign of transmission going out at all. One mornig crank it up and idles and runs fine but i put it in gear and nothing. Reverse notr drive no movement noise or anything. any suggestions?
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#157 Sep 27, 2011
concerned about 98 crv wrote:
I have a 98 crv autmatic trans. The maintenance required light is on, but i dont think thats relevent to the problem. The vehicle never gave any sign of transmission going out at all. One mornig crank it up and idles and runs fine but i put it in gear and nothing. Reverse notr drive no movement noise or anything. any suggestions?
Not much you can do with it sitting in your driveway. Better have it towed to a transmission place you trust, probably not the dealer.
mike

Lawrence, MA

#158 Nov 27, 2011
I have a 2000 crv manual , and just wanted to know if its normal wen the 4x4 engages ,its normal to hear a weird noise , but only wen it engages the 4x4 ..?
tom

North Hollywood, CA

#159 Dec 20, 2011
how you check the transmisson oil
tom

North Hollywood, CA

#160 Dec 20, 2011
I have 1999 hondacrv.(how u check the transmisson oil.
Carman from MO

Cameron, MO

#161 Jan 19, 2012
I have a 2001 Honda CRV in which one day the transmission went out. After much saving we finally got it fixed and replaced one of the solenoids on it. This worked. . . . for a little while then the transmission went out again. I have had many problems with my car and it is now sitting in the drive with only 105,000 miles on it. This is terribly sad when honda use to be a long lasting vehicle. Come to figure out the transmission they put in the honda is not made to withstand the way the vehicle is built. I dont wanna put another transmission in it and in a year or two have the same problem again. If you have a CRV and the D light comes on, or it starts shuttering, or it shifts hard, or takes a while to shift into gear, or you have to shift it manually then you might as well drive it until it dies because there is no fixing the problem, its cancerous and the trani will go out on it. This is a problem Honda wont ever address. This is my first and last Honda I will ever own.
liner

Boynton Beach, FL

#162 Jan 19, 2012
Carman from MO wrote:
I have a 2001 Honda CRV in which one day the transmission went out. After much saving we finally got it fixed and replaced one of the solenoids on it. This worked.... for a little while then the transmission went out again. I have had many problems with my car and it is now sitting in the drive with only 105,000 miles on it. This is terribly sad when honda use to be a long lasting vehicle. Come to figure out the transmission they put in the honda is not made to withstand the way the vehicle is built. I dont wanna put another transmission in it and in a year or two have the same problem again. If you have a CRV and the D light comes on, or it starts shuttering, or it shifts hard, or takes a while to shift into gear, or you have to shift it manually then you might as well drive it until it dies because there is no fixing the problem, its cancerous and the trani will go out on it. This is a problem Honda wont ever address. This is my first and last Honda I will ever own.
Yes, transmissions are a weak spot on these vehicles. If the rest of the car is good, consider getting a quality transmission rebuild, add a trans cooler and remember yearly drain-and-refills and you should be good for at least another 100K.
Leon

Mentor, OH

#163 Feb 6, 2012
I have a 2001 crv se that I had the tranny rebuilt and its slips from 2nd to 3rd gear still after bringing it in five times to transmission shop and three thousand dollars later. After reading these posts it clearly is a common problem with no hope at all. Time for a new crv!
Leon

Mentor, OH

#164 Feb 6, 2012
Leon wrote:
I have a 2001 crv se that I had the tranny rebuilt and its slips from 2nd to 3rd gear still after bringing it in five times to transmission shop and three thousand dollars later. After reading these posts it clearly is a common problem with no hope at all. Time for a new crv!
Furthermore the shop took the tranny out twice basically overhauling it a second time and still same thing happens

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda CR-V Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
road noise HONDA CR-V (Mar '06) Sep 19 Bill 151
Honda CRV 2002 door locks not working (Apr '07) Sep 15 balut 54
CRV water leak (Dec '06) Sep 7 Linda in GA 63
99 CRV seems to stay in high gear goung uphill Sep 6 ROYCE99 1
CR-V headlight problem (Jan '09) Sep 3 JeffTFed 233
who has the most miles on there CR-V ? (Jun '08) Aug 29 Ossie 70
Honda needs to take responsibility for AC probl... (Apr '12) Aug 26 jea9g 89
More from around the web