My Clutch in my 1998 Honda CRV is not...

My Clutch in my 1998 Honda CRV is not working

Posted in the Honda CR-V Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Eric

Sidney, Canada

#1 Nov 28, 2008
Hello there I have a 1998 honda CRV, the other day while I was driving home I noticed that when I pushed in my clutch it stayed pressed down, and the gearshift was kinda sticking it was hard to shift into gears.. when got to my street i downshifted and when I pushed the clutch in it stayed down and I wasnt able to change gears, luckily I made it to my driveway.. as usual when I try to start my CRV without pushing in the clutch it wont start, Now when I press on clutch it starts like normal but stays down And I cant switch gears?!?!? Can someone please help me out maybe give some pointers as to whats going on?? I hope the clutch isnt hooped but any assistance would be great.. Thank you
Jeff

Celeste, TX

#2 Nov 30, 2008
Your clutch has more than likely gone out. The clutch gets return spring action that lifts the pedal back up from the clutch pressure plate, which has metal fingers arranged concentrically. When the clutch fails, one of the symptoms is the pedal failing to return back up to the engaged position.
There is hope though, there is a chance that the hydraulic circuit that operates the clutch lever has failed, which is a much cheaper and easier-fixed situation. You need to check the clutch master cylinder, which is located on the firewall under the hood, and then check the clutch slave cylinder, located on the transmission. Check both of them for signs of leaking hydraulic fluid.
The diagnostics for the clutch indicate failure by a simple test - which is to disengage the clutch, set the car in 2nd gear, and let the pedal up slowly with the emergency brake engaged. If the car stalls, then the clutch pressure plate surface (the main contact point that bears the most load) is generally in operating condition. If the car does not stall then the clutch probably (90% chance) needs replacing due to wear. Since your car does not start with the gear selector in gear, it may be that the clutch itself is fine and the hydraulic circuit operated by the pedal has failed somewhere. Note though that the car is only supposed to start with the clutch pedal depressed, and if it is not coming back up and the pedal is on the floor the starter should operate and turn the engine over with the gear selector in neutral.
Check your hydraulic pedal circuit (master and slave cylinders) and then consider the clutch itself if that yields no problems. Be careful too, any number of mechanics or dealerships could take advantage of you in this situation and tell you that you need a $2K clutch job when in actuality you only need a $300 clutch slave cylinder or master cylinder replacement (or both, which might run $600).
Eric

Sidney, Canada

#4 Dec 1, 2008
Jeff wrote:
Your clutch has more than likely gone out. The clutch gets return spring action that lifts the pedal back up from the clutch pressure plate, which has metal fingers arranged concentrically. When the clutch fails, one of the symptoms is the pedal failing to return back up to the engaged position.
There is hope though, there is a chance that the hydraulic circuit that operates the clutch lever has failed, which is a much cheaper and easier-fixed situation. You need to check the clutch master cylinder, which is located on the firewall under the hood, and then check the clutch slave cylinder, located on the transmission. Check both of them for signs of leaking hydraulic fluid.
The diagnostics for the clutch indicate failure by a simple test - which is to disengage the clutch, set the car in 2nd gear, and let the pedal up slowly with the emergency brake engaged. If the car stalls, then the clutch pressure plate surface (the main contact point that bears the most load) is generally in operating condition. If the car does not stall then the clutch probably (90% chance) needs replacing due to wear. Since your car does not start with the gear selector in gear, it may be that the clutch itself is fine and the hydraulic circuit operated by the pedal has failed somewhere. Note though that the car is only supposed to start with the clutch pedal depressed, and if it is not coming back up and the pedal is on the floor the starter should operate and turn the engine over with the gear selector in neutral.
Check your hydraulic pedal circuit (master and slave cylinders) and then consider the clutch itself if that yields no problems. Be careful too, any number of mechanics or dealerships could take advantage of you in this situation and tell you that you need a $2K clutch job when in actuality you only need a $300 clutch slave cylinder or master cylinder replacement (or both, which might run $600).
Jeff,

Thanks for the pointers.. ok here is what happened I can start the vehicle by pushing in clutch as you should be able to. It stays pushed down still.. now I cant shift when the vehicle is running no matter what, so I shifted into 2nd pushed on the clutch and tried to start it, and it kinda reved a bit but wouldnt turn over, almost like when your battery is dead.. other then that I had a look under the hood and couldnt see anything out of the ordinary, but mind you im not a mechanic, Im not too certain what to look for.. do you have any more advice?

Thanks

Eric
CYA

Seminole, FL

#5 Jan 28, 2009
I had the same thing happen to me summer 2008. Not fun in rush hour traffic. I was able to take my toe and flick the pedal up and it went to normal position. I drove it a couple days with my fingers crossed like this and then my husband drained the Clutch fluid and put new in. The Fluid that was in it was thick and dark and must have never been changed even though they are supposed to have done that when I had the major services done (and paid hundreds of $$). It's been fine ever since. I had 80K on it at the time. I personally would start there given it sounds exactly like what happened to me. Good luck!
Uncle Don

Huntley, IL

#6 Oct 31, 2009
I have a 1998 Honda Crv - automatic trans. It is not shifting properly - running high RPM's, then shifting. Sometimes take off the gas and it seems to help it shift into the next gear. Any ideas wht the problem could be?

Thanks for the anticipated advice.
Rachael

Cookeville, TN

#7 Nov 26, 2010
Jeff, i am having the same problem with my 1999 cr-v. I drove it for a few days while it was very hard to shift gears and now it starts but will not go into any gear at all. Can you please tell me how your problem was resolved?
greg

Green Bay, WI

#8 Feb 16, 2011
Rachael wrote:
Jeff, i am having the same problem with my 1999 cr-v. I drove it for a few days while it was very hard to shift gears and now it starts but will not go into any gear at all. Can you please tell me how your problem was resolved?
I had the same thing with my '98. Turns out the master cylinder had an internal leak.$200 later, I had a new clutch and I'm having to learn how to drive my car with a 100% operational clutch! Much different! Parts:$90, Totaling $200 for everything.
greg

Green Bay, WI

#9 Feb 16, 2011
Rachael wrote:
One more thing: make sure there is fluid in both of your reservoirs. You can unscrew both caps on the driver's side underneath the hood. If you're low, it could be really simple: fill it with your local auto parts store's recommended brake fluid... if the reservoirs are full, it means you need a new cylinder.
paul

Australia

#10 Jul 9, 2011
clutch pedal stay on floor when depressed brand new master + slave cylinder has the thrust bearing fork have a return spring on a honda crv 2002
Kathleen

Garden City, MI

#11 Oct 16, 2011
My 98 civic clutch went out well i think it did ... I still have pressure on the clutch but when i shift to 1 gear and release the clutch and give it gas it doesn't go.. What can possibly be my problem.?
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Oct 17, 2011
Kathleen wrote:
My 98 civic clutch went out well i think it did ... I still have pressure on the clutch but when i shift to 1 gear and release the clutch and give it gas it doesn't go.. What can possibly be my problem.?
Sounds like a clutch problem of some kind to me. Obviously you're going to have to have it towed to a shop.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#13 Nov 5, 2011
A different clutch problem. The stick is stiff. I can depress the pedal but cannot get it to go into gear. any suggestions?
alden

Philippines

#14 Feb 2, 2012
i have a problem with my 1998 model automatic honda crv.. after a short distance of driving my car slowly stop moving forward but the engine is still running...when i turn it off and turn it on again after a while my car is moving forward again.
Marg

Chiswick, Australia

#15 Apr 8, 2012
greg wrote:
<quoted text>
I had the same thing with my '98. Turns out the master cylinder had an internal leak.$200 later, I had a new clutch and I'm having to learn how to drive my car with a 100% operational clutch! Much different! Parts:$90, Totaling $200 for everything.
Did you replace the master cyclinder or just drain and change the fluids?
Jenifer

Saint Albans, Australia

#16 Jul 24, 2012
I have a 99 Honda hrv and my clutch is gone. And now I wouldnt even know where to start looking to try to replace it. Cause I don't know much about cars n I don't know the prices so I don't know who's trying to rip me off or not, it's just that I'm unemployed ATM and I've just recently had a baby which makes things alot harder for me . So this is y I'm looking for the cheapest place in springvale, Vic. Melbourne . To fix my car ASAP so that I can take my new born to n from hospital for her check ups! Thanks!!!
john

Moose Jaw, Canada

#17 Nov 14, 2012
i pulled a dude out of the ditch with the crv, was not too hard. once i unhooked the strap and drove away i could smell clutch.I drove down highwat a good 30 km and then had trouble down shifting at my exit.I work night shift and it was late so i havent checked the fluid level.still feels like there is pedal to spare and its fairly tight so i dont believe its fluid or master or slave cylinder problem.Wonder what it would cost to replace clutch,ball park figure.im in moosejaw saskatchewan,any ideas
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#18 Nov 14, 2012
john wrote:
i pulled a dude out of the ditch with the crv, was not too hard. once i unhooked the strap and drove away i could smell clutch.I drove down highwat a good 30 km and then had trouble down shifting at my exit.I work night shift and it was late so i havent checked the fluid level.still feels like there is pedal to spare and its fairly tight so i dont believe its fluid or master or slave cylinder problem.Wonder what it would cost to replace clutch,ball park figure.im in moosejaw saskatchewan,any ideas
I would take a guess of around $1K, US.
David

Surrey, Canada

#19 Dec 9, 2012
Eric wrote:
Hello there I have a 1998 honda CRV, the other day while I was driving home I noticed that when I pushed in my clutch it stayed pressed down, and the gearshift was kinda sticking it was hard to shift into gears.. when got to my street i downshifted and when I pushed the clutch in it stayed down and I wasnt able to change gears, luckily I made it to my driveway.. as usual when I try to start my CRV without pushing in the clutch it wont start, Now when I press on clutch it starts like normal but stays down And I cant switch gears?!?!? Can someone please help me out maybe give some pointers as to whats going on?? I hope the clutch isnt hooped but any assistance would be great.. Thank you
I am having a similar problem except that mine no longer has pressure when I push the clutch and I cannot get the otherwise functioning vehicle in gear.
mark

UK

#20 Sep 6, 2013
I have a 2000 model crv there is a clutch on it but its suddenly gone closer to the floor than normal i have checked the main fluid set up under the bonnet and its full but its pouring down with rain so can't get underneath at present does anyone have any idea what it could be as i am disabled so rely on my car
Chris

Prairie Du Sac, WI

#21 Sep 23, 2013
mark wrote:
I have a 2000 model crv there is a clutch on it but its suddenly gone closer to the floor than normal i have checked the main fluid set up under the bonnet and its full but its pouring down with rain so can't get underneath at present does anyone have any idea what it could be as i am disabled so rely on my car
I had the exact same problem on the exact same year crv for a day or so and then I could no longer engage the gears. Did you ever figure out the issue?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda CR-V Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2014 CRV towing dirt bike 18 hr Korslava 1
1999 Honda CRV w/ transmission problems (Jan '07) Feb 5 liner 216
CR-V headlight problem (Jan '09) Jan 30 Theplumber 236
who has the most miles on there CR-V ? (Jun '08) Jan 24 Nick 78
rear wheel alignment (Aug '10) Jan 20 Dopoll 24
2003 Honda CR-V hood opening while on highway (Feb '07) Jan 17 BuBBB 52
2000 CR-V accelerator sticks (Dec '06) Jan 17 splascott 11
More from around the web