1994 Honda LX Will Not Start
Classic man

Gatesville, TX

#81 Dec 28, 2011
I've run into an issue on a 1994 Honda Accord LX.
It runs for a few seconds and dies out. I've replaced the distributer, plugs, wires, coil and ignition switch. It would not start at all till after I replaced the key switch. Now it runs for a few seconds and dies. Any suggestions?
not a mechanic

Lehigh Acres, FL

#82 Jan 2, 2012
Rick wrote:
By the failure to understand these common terms while throwing them about just confuses the issue, fails to communicate the real problem and simply wastes everyone's time. Please don't make up definitions for words that you have heard if you don't understand them. Instead, use words you already understand to describe the problem as accurately as you can without trying to sound like you know the jargon.
Thank You
thanks dick, if we know the proper jargon we wouldnt be asking for help in the first place and could probably fix the issue. but thanks for sounding like a world class ass. very helpful.
abbie tech

Calgary, Canada

#83 Jan 13, 2012
most the problems that you guys have are a few things must be checked, ignition switch,fuel pump main relay, distributor,the ECM and if you have a remote starter try to disconnect it the wires and reconnect the factory once.
thanks
abbie tech

Calgary, Canada

#84 Jan 13, 2012
forgot check the fuel pump pressure and the fuel filter for clogging. if all these step were taken then it must be looked for wiring trace.

good luck to everyone
terra

Smiths Station, AL

#85 Jan 30, 2012
I have a 1994 Honda and my car keeps blowing a head gasket what could be the promblem
liner

Boynton Beach, FL

#86 Jan 31, 2012
terra wrote:
I have a 1994 Honda and my car keeps blowing a head gasket what could be the promblem
If your car overheated, it could very well have a warped cylinder head.
FredAlert

Littleton, CO

#87 Feb 15, 2012
Hi all, am very happy to find this site!!!!

I have a 1992 honda accord lx for almost 2 years, has 270,00 m. oh please excuse any spelling errors :)

FYI. this car has no cranking problem, cranks over everytime, just dont want to start sometimes.

For the first several months, the only problem was that it took longer than normal to start up! then sometimes would just not start. The darn thing idles at over 2000 when cold and lower than 500 when warmed up. im guessing the computer needs adjustment.

So then about 3 months ago, would not start at all, one of several things i tried was removing a lot of rust build up on the ground bolt located near the fuel pump under carpet behind the rear seet. Titened the bolt as much as i could and car worked fine.

Now, a month ago would not start again. Someone suguested Starter Spray. This works for me!!! now the first time i start it for the day, i spray it and works great.

As your facing the front of the motor, its the hose conected to the injector housing right in the middle. Just 2 short sprays, its easy to get to much!

FYI this car works fine if you get it started (never died while driving!)

For you people that have not tried this (and tried all the other stuff on this site), see if it works for you!
BlackIcy

Richmond, VA

#88 Apr 3, 2012
Does your honda have a kill switch on it. My car has a flashing light on the dash board, and it i dont deactivate it, then it automatically kills the power to the whole car.
jim

Philadelphia, PA

#89 Apr 24, 2012
i replaced the head gasket in my 94 accord lx after that i am gettin no spark replaced module cam shaft sensor coil and still nothing i am stumped someone please help me
FredAlert

Littleton, CO

#90 Apr 25, 2012
Hi all, i posted about a 2 months ago about 1992 Honda accord LX about it not starting mostly in hot weather. Tried all kinds of things.

Of all the things to find was that the gas cap is clogged and a verg large amount of pressure build up in the tank, so much that you hear strange sound.

About a month ago, with the cap off, the Honda has been starting better than it ever has.

For those that think they have a heat starting problem, give it a try.

By the way, the last time i could not start it, let is set over night and there was still pressure in the tank.
Liner

Brooklyn, NY

#91 May 3, 2012
FredAlert wrote:
Hi all, i posted about a 2 months ago about 1992 Honda accord LX about it not starting mostly in hot weather. Tried all kinds of things.
Of all the things to find was that the gas cap is clogged and a verg large amount of pressure build up in the tank, so much that you hear strange sound.
About a month ago, with the cap off, the Honda has been starting better than it ever has.
For those that think they have a heat starting problem, give it a try.
By the way, the last time i could not start it, let is set over night and there was still pressure in the tank.
Gas caps are no longer vented. I believe you have a problem with the evap system. You have OBD1 control s/w in your car, so you might be able to get away with just leaving it alone.
elite aut

Fountain Hills, AZ

#92 Jun 21, 2012
Hi, i got a 97 accord 2.2 it came in running but with a bad miss fire on number 3 and 4. I pulled the wires they where soaked in oil do to valve cover gasket i replaced with new , i put new plugs and wires, and also checked the cap and rotor found they were no good so i replaced. I went to start it and know i got crank no start. I do have good spark and good fuel pressure, injectors are also pulsing. Have no idea why it wont start anymore just by changing plug, wires, and cap and rotor any ideas out there
Ace

Hendersonville, TN

#93 Jul 17, 2012
I have a 1994 Honda Accord ex will start sometimes and not at others. It is in the fuel or the lack there of when I hear the fuel pump come on it will start but if don't it won't. I have changed the main fuel pump relay no help could the fuel filter put enough back pressure on the pump to keep it from starting? or should I look at changing the pump itself.
shannon

Cambridge, MA

#94 Aug 25, 2012
Erdata wrote:
My 1994 honda acc. would not start if the weather is hot or if the car itself is hot. If I drive it for 1 hour and turn the engine off and try to start it right away would not work. I have to wait at least 4-5 minutes before it starts. Does anyone had this problem before? I need help please.
i am having that problem now with my '94 honda. did you find out what the problem was?
Ace

Hendersonville, TN

#95 Aug 26, 2012
I changed the fuel pump started a few times then back not same old thing, I changed the fuel pressure regulator started a few time and back to same old thing, checked ign. switch it was working fine, put a extra ground from frame to motor no help. any suggestions.
leroy

La Salle, CO

#96 Sep 20, 2012
I have a 92 Honda It will start then dies then turn the key off and it will start then die after 10 to20 times of this it runs good it only has 61000 miles I got it new.I just put on a fuel pressure regulator
nicholas

Adelanto, CA

#97 Oct 19, 2012
A Prince wrote:
The car turns as if it is preparing to start, but that is it, it will not crank. I have changed the fuel pump, relay switch, wires, plugs, distributor/rotor cap, etc with little luck. Is there anyone with the same issue, the dealership is trying to take me exploring, but I can not afford thousands on a 13 year old car. The dealer is recommending a wire trace to the fuel pump, they are stating this as the source/problem.
look at the ground cable on intake at the othe end of throtle body .is your check ingine lite comeing on and going off when turn you ignition on ,if its dim it ground ,
nicholas

Adelanto, CA

#98 Oct 19, 2012
is your check engine lite comeing on and turning off a few seconds after when your ignition is on ,if its dim it cold be ground wire on intake or engine from the wire loom
doug

Burlington, Canada

#99 Nov 13, 2012
i have a 94 honda civic it rolls over fine and started just this morn took kids to school came home and shut it off now it wont start think it could be fuel problem lots of gas in tank.
Ace

Aylmer, Canada

#100 Feb 17, 2013
I have 94 accord I'm having starting issues the other day. My car started up great and ran for about a minute and then died now it will not start at all. It turns over but nothing so I thought it might be a fuel pump but it turns on and shuts off fine. I changed the fuel filter I've checked the fuses. Any suggestions on what I should do now or has anyone had the same problem. Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda Accord Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Council to offer $50,000 reward for Sylmar shoo... (Oct '10) Aug 22 Pacoima Skater 7
SRS and OPDS sensor problems Jul '16 KHiggins 1
2000 Honda Accord LX. Starts and dies right ... Jul '16 liner 2
1991 Seat Belt light flashes and alarm sounds (Apr '06) May '16 Ladiihooligan 55
Code 15 Mar '16 Bill8080 1
Accord AC condenser failed because of street de... (Oct '06) Mar '16 lacact 19
News Chrysler 200 is a car of many facets (Feb '16) Feb '16 Shop Rat 6
More from around the web