1994 Honda LX Will Not Start
liner

Bronx, NY

#61 Jan 14, 2011
Danis94 wrote:
<quoted text> Replaced the gasket, few problems with dist cap. Car is running now but had to set idling up high because when it is low the oil light comes on. Got to find out next what the problem is because with idling up so high the car is driving itself. Does anyone know why oil light would come on after replacing gasket? What should be checked next on car?
What "gasket" did you replace?
Danis94

Salisbury, NC

#62 Jan 15, 2011
Head Gasket, the part was around $67.00 and the whole kit would have been about $160.00.
John V

Brandon, FL

#63 Jan 27, 2011
I am here looking for answers on the problem of the 1994 Accord engine sounding like it is going to start, but when the time comes to actually "fire up" it won't start. I took it to a mechanic who did an oil change (not related), changed out the spark plugs, and checked the fuel line.(When I checked it myself the line was NOT pumping gas, but when he checked it, he said it was.)
They finally narrowed it down to a loose wire in the harness (under the steering wheel, just above the gas pedal.) After fiddling with it and pushing it back into the harness the car started.$288 dollars later, I picked up my car and it started and drove fine. It's been about two or three days since the work 9and since the car has been home). I have not driven it over this time. Today, I tried to take the car out to run some errands and I'm back where I started. CAR SOUNDS LIKE IT'S GOING TO START AND NEVER FIRES UP TO START. I've checked the starter, the belts are all turning, and the battery is no more than 2 months old. Any ideas?
John V

Brandon, FL

#64 Jan 27, 2011
robbie wrote:
I have a 1994 Honda Accord lx and I have two different kind of problems. FIRST, IF I start the engine, It runs for 2 seconds and it dies. next attempt is much worse because it will start and dies right away, I have to wait for 30 minutes and turn the engine on again and it will RUN! WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM, Can somebody help me with this. I have change the spark plugs.wires all the filters and the mechanic said that fuel pump is fine.SECOND PROBLEM, THE ENGINE SHUT OFF WHILE I'M DRIVING EVERY TIME I SLOW DOWN AND STEP ON MY BRAKES. THIS IS A NIGHTMARE! BECAUSE I HAVE TO TURN ON THE ENGINE SEVEN TIMES JUST TO MOVE FROM LIGHT TO LIGHT AND AND JUST REACH MY HOUSE. IS THIS A NORMAL PROBLEM ON THIS MODEL?
This sounds like a fuel problem. You are in the same boat as the rest of us. it could be anything as simple as needing to replace the fuel filter to something as difficult as replacing the fuel pump. Hate to sound obvious here, but a lot of times it's as simple as fuses (fuse box on the driver side has a fuse for the fuel pump.) Or wiring. I live in a neighborhood with speed bumps and I wonder if the constant banging around loosens important wires in the harness,.
brandonhacckord

Halifax, Canada

#65 Feb 16, 2011
Travis wrote:
<quoted text>Actually Erdata I had that same problem a couple of months ago turns out it was the main relay which is under the dash
it could also be your fuel managment system or your injectors where it is bogging out at certain rpms now im not 100 percent sure as i do most of my work on
carbed vehicles but i would give that a try u should b able to find a running accord for parts for like 500 tops then ur all set
liner

Bronx, NY

#66 Feb 17, 2011
brandonhacckord wrote:
<quoted text> it could also be your fuel managment system or your injectors where it is bogging out at certain rpms now im not 100 percent sure as i do most of my work on
carbed vehicles but i would give that a try u should b able to find a running accord for parts for like 500 tops then ur all set
You mostly work on carbed vehicles? Bet things are slow these days, huh?
clark

Auckland, New Zealand

#67 Jun 23, 2011
hi i have a honda accord 1994 sw not starting
clark

Auckland, New Zealand

#68 Jun 23, 2011
hi i have a honda accord sw not starting
SHAWN

Franklin, IN

#69 Jun 30, 2011
Erdata wrote:
My 1994 honda acc. would not start if the weather is hot or if the car itself is hot. If I drive it for 1 hour and turn the engine off and try to start it right away would not work. I have to wait at least 4-5 minutes before it starts. Does anyone had this problem before? I need help please.
Main relay under dash
Marie

Dothan, AL

#70 Jul 9, 2011
max wrote:
Thanks everyone for the help & sharing same problem w/ us!
OK, it turns out that the starter i had for a replacement was a used one, w/ same problem that lasted only a week. That dishonest mechanic lied to me who said that it was a refurbished. Although that same mechanic who bypassed my relay, the problem was still there. Anyway, to make the story short, i finally got a real refurbished one (starter) cuz a brand new will cost me atleast double of the price. So far so good! So i suggest to all who have the same starting problem (no cranking but will start on a jumpstart), pls consider replacing ur starter. You may need about $200-240 for a refurbished one.
Hi I just wanted to say about the mechanic who supposedly lied, in his defense we have purchased brand new parts before which we had to return them because they didnt work!!!(anything from sensors to torque converters) Its not always a bad mechanic. refurbished is just that rebuilt and it dont mean it will still work I doubt each one is tested after refurbished so there could still be problems.

Ray

Mobile, AL

#71 Sep 4, 2011
i have a 1994 honda accord lx 2.2 my problem is the car will crank up but then die all of the sudden maybe 1 second later ive tried the main relay distrib cab button plugs wires fuel pump comes on as i can hear the buzzz my car is cool on the inside and out and for the life of me i cant figure out why it keeps cutting off.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
john

Newmarket, Canada

#72 Oct 8, 2011
i have honda accord 94 ex, recently i change motor, the motor is 95 honda accord, it was fine first couple of days, now it giving me troubles, it stop while it running, it does not start after a while, what problem it has?, is any body can help me
Johnny

Raleigh, NC

#73 Nov 11, 2011
I have a 1997 honda accord 2.2 non v tech it has no spark & no codes. Tried dist. & coil still no spark
jeo wun

Manteca, CA

#74 Nov 11, 2011
A Prince wrote:
The car turns as if it is preparing to start, but that is it, it will not crank. I have changed the fuel pump, relay switch, wires, plugs, distributor/rotor cap, etc with little luck. Is there anyone with the same issue, the dealership is trying to take me exploring, but I can not afford thousands on a 13 year old car. The dealer is recommending a wire trace to the fuel pump, they are stating this as the source/problem.

I have the same exact problem I changed the lock a key assembly which has an ignition switch attached to it worked fine for 4 months all of a sudden problem is back car lights every thing turns on but when i go to start it, nothing wont attempt to crank over? please help!!!!
Robert Holm

Virginia Beach, VA

#75 Nov 11, 2011
my 92 accord dx starter is locked up and only makes a single click sound. and the battery is not the problem that was the first thing i checked. then i check ground and power contacts and cables. then i checked switches and relays with no luck. i tried the taping and rocking methods to try and temporarly unlock starter with still no luck. i need to know is there any other way to fix problem with out replacing starter parts
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#76 Nov 15, 2011
Robert Holm wrote:
my 92 accord dx starter is locked up and only makes a single click sound. and the battery is not the problem that was the first thing i checked. then i check ground and power contacts and cables. then i checked switches and relays with no luck. i tried the taping and rocking methods to try and temporarly unlock starter with still no luck. i need to know is there any other way to fix problem with out replacing starter parts
If you disco the power lead to the starter and it doesn't release, then it's mechanically jammed and would have to be removed for a look. You will also have to check the flywheel for any damage.
Colin

New Braunfels, TX

#77 Nov 28, 2011
Ok well my 94 accord ex sometimes does not want to turn over unless I shoot starter fluid directly into the air intake manafold. Make sense, So why would my car not turn over with out this action. It cranks and everything else seems to be operting.
I figure it might be a fuel pump or the injectors, I am about to check for a clog in the system (e.g. fuel filter) so if anyone has any insite on what might be going on with my vehicle just chim in.
unclebens

Castroville, TX

#78 Dec 19, 2011
kin wrote:
i have a problem with my 94 accord. in the afternoon today it was cranking but not starting. i tried to start with accel pedal down and it started. i drove it for about 2 miles, parked it and then tried to start after an hour. it died down completelyand now it does not even crank. can someone tell me what may be wrong.
its your idle air control valve on the back of the intake.It's dirty and is sticking. Take it off and clean with carb cleaner.
unclebens

Castroville, TX

#79 Dec 19, 2011
i have a 94 accord which did the same thing. now if there was no spark, change the distributor which holds tdc sensors, ingition module and coil in the vtecs.
unclebens

Castroville, TX

#80 Dec 19, 2011
going back to my old V8 hotrods with a carb.I have 4 ricers and theyre all electronic nightmares when they get older.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda Accord Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Council to offer $50,000 reward for Sylmar shoo... (Oct '10) Mon Pacoima Skater 7
SRS and OPDS sensor problems Jul '16 KHiggins 1
2000 Honda Accord LX. Starts and dies right ... Jul '16 liner 2
1991 Seat Belt light flashes and alarm sounds (Apr '06) May '16 Ladiihooligan 55
Code 15 Mar '16 Bill8080 1
Accord AC condenser failed because of street de... (Oct '06) Mar '16 lacact 19
News Chrysler 200 is a car of many facets (Feb '16) Feb '16 Shop Rat 6
More from around the web