1994 Honda LX Will Not Start

Posted in the Honda Accord Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
A Prince

Warner Robins, GA

#1 Jan 4, 2007
The car turns as if it is preparing to start, but that is it, it will not crank. I have changed the fuel pump, relay switch, wires, plugs, distributor/rotor cap, etc with little luck. Is there anyone with the same issue, the dealership is trying to take me exploring, but I can not afford thousands on a 13 year old car. The dealer is recommending a wire trace to the fuel pump, they are stating this as the source/problem.
W_BESTON

Tulsa, OK

#3 Jan 13, 2007
a prince, if it will not crank that sounds like your starter
W_BESTON

Tulsa, OK

#2 Jan 13, 2007
OK. Now on to my problem... I have 91 honda accord. Was running despite the water in the cylenders :( My head gasket was blown so I had to replace it. Once replaced and I put the motor back together the motor wouldnt start ( go figure ) The fuel pump is not kicking on at all. The injectors refuse to open when I turn the key and the coil gives me a spark once per crank no matter how long i hold on the key I only get that one spark. Unless I let off it and crank it again then I get the one spark:( The first thing brought to my attention was the main relay by my father. I checked the main relay by the book "Working On The Bench" (Haynes repair Manual) I used a old battery for the tests. The test includes checking the 3 different relays within the main relay. All 3 "clicked" and switched each connection that they were supposed to. Oddly enough not in the car though.

So the relay checking out fine i thought fuel pump (before I knew about the injectors and coil not working). So i did what any other honda tech would do... I riped out the whole back seat to get to 2 wires :) By the way personal note the book tells you to rip out the back seat to get to the fuel pump access hole. BUT you can get to it through the trunk!(hope this helps some...) So now I have my wires exposed and the first thing I do is hook a hot wire off the battery to the solid yellow wire to the fuel pump.

It (the fuel pump) kicked right on. So the next step was to ensure a good ground to the fuel pump. Well I only hooked up a hot wire and it worked.... You do the math. So with ground working and pump working what next...

Back to the fuse panel all fuses under the hood were good and same with the ones under the dash on the drivers side.
All grounds under the hood were tight. Using a set of jumper cables I grounded several different spots with the same results....

Then I thought ECU. But how could the ECU be fried when I removed the battery before even atempting any work at the start. Now I have the most advanced trouble shooting dash known to man :) I have a 12v light wired to the fuel pump that turns on and off with the fuel pump. im tracing the wires now for the planed 4 injector lights, the coil light the o2 sensor lights, etc...

Needless to say once the problem is solved I will not go wandering again if anything should happen in the future.

All of that to say this. Im still where I started. No fuel pump power. No injector power. No coil power. But the fuel pump works when linked straight to the battery. Same with the coil/distributer/plug system and injectors work. by the way personal note again testing the coil with a ohm meter ... good idiea .... doing it with a 12 volt test battery ..... bad idiea. OUCH!!!!! Next time I will use a ohm meter to test it too lol!

Any idieas would be GREAT!!!

DEL

United States

#4 Feb 3, 2007
I know what your problem is, I just fixed my 94 accord, it would start if I held the key in the start position but soon as I let off the car died instantly, Honda has a problem with the ignition switch on the end of the ignition you knoe the part you put your key in. It is possible to replace just that part. it was 42 bucks and I did it myself. You have to almost destroy it to get it off. Then you have to shves the plug down and use a drummle tool to cut metal to make room for the pluge to fit behind the sterring shat. there is a small screw on the back side of the flat plug that I got loose with a hammer and a screw driver. It took my 3 hour with a hand file but I could do the job now in 30 min with a drumle tool to cut the metal out of the way. p.s. dont damage to thin band of wire thant runs you air bag stuff tha hangs down under the key switch. Del.
A Prince wrote:
The car turns as if it is preparing to start, but that is it, it will not crank. I have changed the fuel pump, relay switch, wires, plugs, distributor/rotor cap, etc with little luck. Is there anyone with the same issue, the dealership is trying to take me exploring, but I can not afford thousands on a 13 year old car. The dealer is recommending a wire trace to the fuel pump, they are stating this as the source/problem.
Sunny

Mount Juliet, TN

#5 Aug 28, 2007
That might be what is wrong with my Lexus LS400 too.
DEL wrote:
I know what your problem is, I just fixed my 94 accord, it would start if I held the key in the start position but soon as I let off the car died instantly, Honda has a problem with the ignition switch on the end of the ignition you knoe the part you put your key in. It is possible to replace just that part. it was 42 bucks and I did it myself. You have to almost destroy it to get it off. Then you have to shves the plug down and use a drummle tool to cut metal to make room for the pluge to fit behind the sterring shat. there is a small screw on the back side of the flat plug that I got loose with a hammer and a screw driver. It took my 3 hour with a hand file but I could do the job now in 30 min with a drumle tool to cut the metal out of the way. p.s. dont damage to thin band of wire thant runs you air bag stuff tha hangs down under the key switch. Del.<quoted text>
don

Canada

#6 Sep 23, 2007
can u fix a fuel pump through the back seat for honda accord 94 exr or do u have to take the gas tank out. please reply soon
Renee143

Orlando, FL

#7 Sep 25, 2007
A Prince wrote:
A friend here at work is going through the same thing with her 94 honda accord coupe ex. the last fix was the security system. they took it out. and it still didn't fix the problem. it is back in the shop. they are going to try to replace the computer system.
Renee143

Orlando, FL

#8 Sep 25, 2007
A friend here at work is going through the same thing with her 94 honda accord coupe ex. the last fix was the security system. they took it out. and it still didn't fix the problem. it is back in the shop. they are going to try to replace the computer system.
kin

San Francisco, CA

#9 Dec 31, 2007
i have a problem with my 94 accord. in the afternoon today it was cranking but not starting. i tried to start with accel pedal down and it started. i drove it for about 2 miles, parked it and then tried to start after an hour. it died down completelyand now it does not even crank. can someone tell me what may be wrong.
Jurrell

Cleveland, OH

#10 Jan 14, 2008
I have a 91' Accord DX and it will not start. I've fixed the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. but the only things my distributor needs to be replaced. The only bad thing about that is I want to make sure that is what needs to be fixed before I shell out some more money out of my pocket. Oh yeah I was wondering does anyone know how much it would cost to swich my car from an auto to a 5speed.
Erdata

United States

#11 May 22, 2008
My 1994 honda acc. would not start if the weather is hot or if the car itself is hot. If I drive it for 1 hour and turn the engine off and try to start it right away would not work. I have to wait at least 4-5 minutes before it starts. Does anyone had this problem before? I need help please.
CollinK

AOL

#12 Jun 6, 2008
my 1992 honda accord wont run unless you hold the key in the start position but nothing else will work. If just start the car and let the key go to the on position it will go dead. Its like it is the computer but its in the switch. Do i need to change the switch or is something else?
Honda Accord in SD

San Diego, CA

#13 Aug 2, 2008
Hi Erdata,
I have a similiar problem as yours. If the weather is hot, it will not start. However, it will crank as if it is going to start but it actually never turns over and starts. I have noticed that if it is cold weather, then it will start.
Lately, it will not start even in cooler weather...think it is getting worse.
If anyone is having this problem and has found a fix, please post the solution.
max

Brampton, Canada

#14 Aug 6, 2008
Hello peeps! I need your help too. Is it really the security orremote starter, alternator, computer/CU, water pumps, fuel injection etc., causing this problem? I have the same problem w/ my 94 accord coupe exr. Once in a while it wont start. I already wasted a couple of hundred bucks to replace my starter, & fixed my battery terminal, and still happening. Although i do have the security system and a remote starter, w/c im thinking could be the problem. But im not sure what to do, even my mechanic didn't know exactly what's wrong, too bad hard to find a good and honest mechanic these days. Thanks people in advance!
Rick

United States

#15 Aug 11, 2008
I'd like to suggest that we adopt some standardized terms to describe starting problems? When engines do or don't "crank" or "turn over" this describes the actual spinning of the starter motor which, in turn causes the crankshaft to rotate. While this action in necessary to start the engine, it is not sufficient without fuel and spark and in spite of the fact that the engine "cranks" it may not "fire" which is also necessary (on a continuous basis) before the engine can actually "start".
By the failure to understand these common terms while throwing them about just confuses the issue, fails to communicate the real problem and simply wastes everyone's time. Please don't make up definitions for words that you have heard if you don't understand them. Instead, use words you already understand to describe the problem as accurately as you can without trying to sound like you know the jargon.
Thank You
dave

Virginia Beach, VA

#16 Aug 20, 2008
maybe somebody has some idea's for this one. I have a 95' honda accord ex, 4cyl (f22b2) I replaced the head after a head had warped. Fired up first try, idled perfect. let idle for a hour, then test drove it, ran fine. drove to store, turned it on and off many of time's. then took it on back road for safety reason's to see how it handles acceleration. At about 4k the engine bogs, so i back off the gas to under 4k, runs fine. try it again, it try's but struggles to go over 4k. so i take it home for further diag. after a while of idling the engine chokes out. after further diag, i find out that im not getting any ignition (spark from spark plugs). first thing i do is replace coil, replace icm inside distributor, and distributor cap, checked all dist. wires, replaced the ones needed. again car fires right up first try. let idle till warmed up, then proceeded to give it more gas. again it boggs out. now im not getting any ignition at all, car turns over fine, just lopes, now and then it tries to start but immediately shut right back off. there's no chk engine lite. or codes. and i still can not get ignition. i even went so far as taking the coil out of my friends car and his distributor and still nothing. im getting power to the coil (13.2v) and (15X.X v-out to dist.) even with test light, no spark. from the dist. what the hell? if any one has any ideas? please let me no.
Travis

United States

#17 Sep 3, 2008
Erdata wrote:
My 1994 honda acc. would not start if the weather is hot or if the car itself is hot. If I drive it for 1 hour and turn the engine off and try to start it right away would not work. I have to wait at least 4-5 minutes before it starts. Does anyone had this problem before? I need help please.
Actually Erdata I had that same problem a couple of months ago turns out it was the main relay which is under the dash
birute

Pearland, TX

#18 Sep 9, 2008
I have same problem with my 97 Acura TL-2.5. It will not start if it is warm or hot. After I drive it even 15 min, I turn it off, if i try to restart within several minutes it starts, no problem. If I wait more than several minutes and try to start as I turn key it will click one time only, lights on dash ok, a/c comes on but nothing else, it just clicks one time only as I turn the key all the way. SOLUTION: I jump start it and it runs right on, or else I have to open hood and wait anywhere from 30 min to one to one and a half hours then it starts normal. Baterry pretty new, cables to battery seem ok, new spark plugs, new coils, new tempeatrue sensor, new sensor to air intake. Someone said that the cable running from battery to starter may be bad, or connection to started not good? HELP. I AM DEALING WITH THIS FOR CLOSE TO ONE YEAR I AM THE LADY WITH THE HOOD OPEN IN THE PARKING, CAR IS NOT ACTUALLY HOT OR OVERHEATED BECASUE THE HOSE FROM RADIATOR IS SOFT.
dmac

Delhi, NY

#19 Sep 12, 2008
Honda dealerships are now telling people that there on mid nintees high milage hondas that a relay is refusing to open when the passenger compartment is to warm. they have been advising people to open windows and doors for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the compartment to cool down. i traced this using the all data system and it seems as if the main relay is to blame as it contains the fuel pump relay. this should not be a hard part to replace being just on the right hand side below your steering wheel. there should be three screws to remove. however i strongly recomend coming up with a wiring diagram for your vehicle as there are many other relays in that area. hope it helps
max wrote:
Hello peeps! I need your help too. Is it really the security orremote starter, alternator, computer/CU, water pumps, fuel injection etc., causing this problem? I have the same problem w/ my 94 accord coupe exr. Once in a while it wont start. I already wasted a couple of hundred bucks to replace my starter, & fixed my battery terminal, and still happening. Although i do have the security system and a remote starter, w/c im thinking could be the problem. But im not sure what to do, even my mechanic didn't know exactly what's wrong, too bad hard to find a good and honest mechanic these days. Thanks people in advance!
max

Brampton, Canada

#20 Sep 28, 2008
Thanks everyone for the help & sharing same problem w/ us!
OK, it turns out that the starter i had for a replacement was a used one, w/ same problem that lasted only a week. That dishonest mechanic lied to me who said that it was a refurbished. Although that same mechanic who bypassed my relay, the problem was still there. Anyway, to make the story short, i finally got a real refurbished one (starter) cuz a brand new will cost me atleast double of the price. So far so good! So i suggest to all who have the same starting problem (no cranking but will start on a jumpstart), pls consider replacing ur starter. You may need about $200-240 for a refurbished one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Honda Accord Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hyundai Fuel-Economy Flap Seen as Tables Turnin... (Nov '12) Apr 7 Matt 2
News Why Can't Other Plug-In Hybrids Copy Chevy Volt... Mar 30 iluvmyVolt 11
News Darlington County officials search for missing ... Mar '15 heart broken 1
News ASK THE AUTO DOCTOR: Good solutions available f... (Mar '09) Feb '15 les 20
SUVs appeal most to new-vehicle buyers: study Jan '15 Rajesh 1
1993 Honda Accord (Engine Light Problem) (Jun '07) Jan '15 Dan Nelson 41
News Did the U.S. auto industry learn anything? Jan '15 John Jeffery 3
More from around the web