Green Cars Are Winning the Year

Green Cars Are Winning the Year

There are 318 comments on the Sierra Club Compass story from Nov 6, 2012, titled Green Cars Are Winning the Year. In it, Sierra Club Compass reports that:

So far in 2012, vehicle fuel economy has hit a record high, as have sales for hybrids and plug-in vehicles -- according to an analysis released by our friends over at NRDC.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sierra Club Compass.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#1 Nov 6, 2012
Good news. Oh, and the Toyota Prius is the most reliable car out there. I suspect the energy efficiency also reduces strain and wear.

That's the thing with energy efficiency. It reduces WASTE at the same time it improves long term reliability.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#2 Nov 7, 2012
This, deniers:

"The Chevy Volt outsells about half of all U.S. vehicle models available. Among the vehicles it beats are the Audi A3, A5 and A6, the Nissan Xterra and Titan, and several Mercedes and Porsche models. I don't remember seeing them trotted out as market losers."
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#3 Nov 7, 2012
Northie wrote:
This, deniers:
"The Chevy Volt outsells about half of all U.S. vehicle models available. Among the vehicles it beats are the Audi A3, A5 and A6, the Nissan Xterra and Titan, and several Mercedes and Porsche models. I don't remember seeing them trotted out as market losers."
Don't you know? All those you mention are niche vehicles... ain't sposed to sell much. But the Chevy Volt!? Well, that's not even an internal combustion vehicle..... at least most of the time.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#4 Dec 24, 2012
14 months of ownership. 6 gallons of gas purchased. Less than $250 charging costs. I love my Volt
PHD

Overton, TX

#5 Dec 24, 2012
litesout wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you know? All those you mention are niche vehicles... ain't sposed to sell much. But the Chevy Volt!? Well, that's not even an internal combustion vehicle..... at least most of the time.
More useless babble from the pin head AKA litesout.The pin head really really dosen't know what power plant the Volt is dirven by.
the car expert

Des Plaines, IL

#6 Dec 24, 2012
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>More useless babble from the pin head AKA litesout.The pin head really really dosen't know what power plant the Volt is dirven by.
Volts are crap.You drive only 45 miles then its back to the gas motor.When they first avertized the volt they said the gas motor was only there to charge the batteries not to power the car.then when it came out they did a bait and stwitck number on the public and said What? Well tesla travels 350 to 400 miles on a charge with no gas motor.Why cant volt do that? Because GM in under the big oil companies thumb, Plain and simple!!!
PHD

Overton, TX

#7 Dec 24, 2012
the car expert wrote:
<quoted text> Volts are crap.You drive only 45 miles then its back to the gas motor.When they first avertized the volt they said the gas motor was only there to charge the batteries not to power the car.then when it came out they did a bait and stwitck number on the public and said What? Well tesla travels 350 to 400 miles on a charge with no gas motor.Why cant volt do that? Because GM in under the big oil companies thumb, Plain and simple!!!
Never mentioned that they had any worth.Tesla well now you have a valid point.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#8 Dec 24, 2012
iluvmyvolt wrote:
14 months of ownership. 6 gallons of gas purchased. Less than $250 charging costs. I love my Volt
//////////
'the car expert' wrote:
You drive only 45 miles then its back to the gas motor.
//////////
litesong wrote:
'the car experts' talks & 'iluvmyvolt' does.....
As usual, doing outdoes talk.
PHD

Overton, TX

#9 Dec 25, 2012
pinheadlitesout wrote:
iluvmyvolt wrote:
14 months of ownership. 6 gallons of gas purchased. Less than $250 charging costs. I love my Volt
//////////
'the car expert' wrote:
You drive only 45 miles then its back to the gas motor.
//////////
pinheadlitesout wrote:
'the car experts' talks & 'iluvmyvolt' does.....
As usual, doing outdoes talk.
And the "pinheadlitesout" spreads more useless babble.
car buff

Des Plaines, IL

#10 Dec 25, 2012
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>And the "pinheadlitesout" spreads more useless babble.
UUUMMM,The tesla 14 months no gas,notta,zilch,goose egg, charging cost notta,zilch,goose egg, Solar panel on garage roof.350 miles on one charge.Im a genius arent I?
PHD

Overton, TX

#11 Dec 25, 2012
car buff wrote:
<quoted text> UUUMMM,The tesla 14 months no gas,notta,zilch,goose egg, charging cost notta,zilch,goose egg, Solar panel on garage roof.350 miles on one charge.Im a genius arent I?
You bet, careful the global warming cooling nuts will tell you your solar panels are absorbing the heat and changing the climate.
AC Points

Springfield, OR

#12 Dec 27, 2012
car buff wrote:
<quoted text> UUUMMM,The tesla 14 months no gas,notta,zilch,goose egg, charging cost notta,zilch,goose egg, Solar panel on garage roof.350 miles on one charge.Im a genius arent I?
According to Tesla's range vs speed chart you'd have to drive at 33 mph steady with no stops and starts to achieve this. With reasonable stops and starts you might be able to get close to this if you have extended periods (many hours)at a constant speed of 25 mph.
PHD

Overton, TX

#13 Dec 28, 2012
The 160- and 230-mile estimates from the respective 40- and 60-kW-hr packs can be achieved from a steady 55-mph cruise, per Tesla spokeswoman KC Simon.
scientist

Des Plaines, IL

#14 Dec 28, 2012
PHD wrote:
The 160- and 230-mile estimates from the respective 40- and 60-kW-hr packs can be achieved from a steady 55-mph cruise, per Tesla spokeswoman KC Simon.
Yes and they also have the 85 kw model too which goes even further.In a few years when they make lighter batteries with more kw it will knock the gas burners out of the market.
PHD

Overton, TX

#15 Dec 28, 2012
scientist wrote:
<quoted text> Yes and they also have the 85 kw model too which goes even further.In a few years when they make lighter batteries with more kw it will knock the gas burners out of the market.
You have to stay conservative. You don't want to frighten the nay Sayers.
scientist

Des Plaines, IL

#16 Dec 28, 2012
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>You have to stay conservative. You don't want to frighten the nay Sayers.
I think thats why they arent coming on that strong in the market.they are letting the big oil think they are wasting their time.then when they got all their ducks in a row its whamm bamm thank you mam!!!The oil companies wont know what hit them.Then it will too late for them.
PHD

Overton, TX

#17 Dec 28, 2012
scientist wrote:
<quoted text> I think thats why they arent coming on that strong in the market.they are letting the big oil think they are wasting their time.then when they got all their ducks in a row its whamm bamm thank you mam!!!The oil companies wont know what hit them.Then it will too late for them.
There ready, record amounts of oil stored,pumped and gas prices are high.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#18 Jan 1, 2013
the car expert wrote:
<quoted text> Volts are crap.You drive only 45 miles then its back to the gas motor.When they first avertized the volt they said the gas motor was only there to charge the batteries not to power the car.then when it came out they did a bait and stwitck number on the public and said What? Well tesla travels 350 to 400 miles on a charge with no gas motor.Why cant volt do that? Because GM in under the big oil companies thumb, Plain and simple!!!
You don't know squat about electrics or plug in electrics. 85% of the time, Tesla's range is not an advantage. According to the last census, that is the percentage of the time Americans drive less than 40 miles.

Look up any manual for any electric and you will see that the manufacturer states that you should plug the car in at all times. Regardless of how many miles you drove and how many miles are left on the battery range. In fact, Tesla makes you read and understand and sign a form stating you understand this. This is for battery conditioning purposes. There is a famous case of a Tesla owner who did not follow the instructions, left his car unplugged for quite a long time and ruined his battery. He sued and lost because of that form. He wrote an article calling his Tesla a brick. Too bad!!!

If you have a 240V charger, you can achieve 80-100 miles E in a day in a Volt because YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO PLUG IN AT ALL TIMES.

The other 15% of the time is not a real advantage if a Volt owner takes a long trip because he will pass the Tesla by when the Tesla owner has to find a hotel that will allow him to plug in.

I on the other hand rent a car from Hertz for $43 from Saturday morning to Monday night, no mileage charge. Why put 600-700 miles wear & tear on my beautiful Volt when I can wear their car down for $43?

Believe me, I live 15 miles from the Tesla plant. I was there. I was ready to put my name down for an S. Then I realized I was going to pay $10,000 more for no advantage whatsoever. I'm glad I read about "the Tesla Brick". It enlightened me. Something you are in need of.
IluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#19 Jan 1, 2013
the car expert wrote:
<quoted text> Volts are crap.You drive only 45 miles then its back to the gas motor.When they first avertized the volt they said the gas motor was only there to charge the batteries not to power the car.then when it came out they did a bait and stwitck number on the public and said What? Well tesla travels 350 to 400 miles on a charge with no gas motor.Why cant volt do that? Because GM in under the big oil companies thumb, Plain and simple!!!
From Tesla:
All automobiles require some level of owner care. For example, combustion vehicles require regular oil changes or the engine will be destroyed. Electric vehicles should be plugged in and charging when not in use for maximum performance

The highly credible Society Of Automotive Engineers named the Volt Best Engineered Car. I will send them an email telling them that "the car expert" said the Volt was crap. I'm sure they will rescind their award once they know who you are. The fact that you didn't know about charging instructions for electrics shouldn't make a difference.

The group that named the Volt European Car Of The Year should genuflect to you also. Just because the Volt was the first American car to ever receive this award should not stop them from learning from you.

Perhaps Motorweek should be informed that their award (Drivers Choice, Best Car) means squat also. Or Motortrend Magazine, or Automobile Magazine, or JD Powers, or Popular Mechanics, or What Car publication, or Diesel Car publication, or the Automotive Applications Council, or ....(and the list goes on and on).
PHD

Overton, TX

#20 Jan 1, 2013
Much like the purchase of the first microwave. It was the greatest invention of all times. Well that proved to be somewhat of a stretch. I Will hold on a few more years when the real practical volt, teals comes out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hatchback Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2015 Chevrolet Volt review notes: Still a winne... 20 hr Railfan 1
News GM pension plan deficits drop slightly, still f... Sat how does that happen 1
News Hackaday Prize Entry: An Electric Vehicle From ... Jun 25 iluvmyVolt 79
News Hyundai Creta SUV Automatic spied: Creta to get... Jun 25 amol salunke 1
News Chevy, Nissan Reveal Second-Life Uses For Elect... Jun 22 iluvmyVolt 3
News Why Tesla wants stricter emissions rules Jun 21 Keef Wivanef 1
News Why Can't Other Plug-In Hybrids Copy Chevy Volt... Jun 19 Fed Up with Iluvm... 42
More from around the web