GMC's sliding roof slides away; Envoy...

GMC's sliding roof slides away; Envoy XUV didn't come close to ...

There are 35 comments on the AutoWeek story from Feb 22, 2005, titled GMC's sliding roof slides away; Envoy XUV didn't come close to .... In it, AutoWeek reports that:

So much for hauling grandfather clocks. General Motors has decided to kill the GMC Envoy XUV, an SUV with a power-operated sliding roof over the cargo area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at AutoWeek.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
PAUL

Newnan, GA

#21 Sep 21, 2010
April Matson wrote:
Since the purchase of our 04 Envoy XUV we have had nothing put problems with the entire rear gate design. We are told that this is the only one that they've seen the problem with. I'm hoping to contact some other XUV consumers to find out if that is true. Has anyone else had problems with the ENVOY XUV design.
Mine is a POS piece of ... you get it. Anyway the midgate regulator failed, rear wiper, rear glass regulator, shock, and dash. all within 52K miles...
terry russell

Putney, VT

#22 Dec 27, 2010
purchased the 2005 envoy xuv, i truely like the suv, but i've had way to many problems;melted wiring, broken door hinges, fuel gauge issues, and retractable cargo roof problems. i'm unable to locate any placement diagrams for modules. i have spent way to much money on fixing this truck and its only 5 yrs old??????? i must have the last one off the line!
Michelle

Yucaipa, CA

#23 Dec 27, 2010
My rear window on the gate goes down all by itself when I least expect it this happened on both my first and my second 2004 XUV. This is a problem when it is raining or snowing even though the back area has a drain because I leave things in the back I don't want stolen or damaged by the elements.
Dan

Philadelphia, PA

#24 Dec 31, 2010
Hey April, I just bought an 04 Envoy with the roof and tailgate and guess what.... I am having the SAME issues. I bought it right before Xmas and I have yet to drive it because they cant fix the problem. Any info you get please pass it on. I am really frustrated.!!!!!!!!
Mike

De Pere, WI

#25 Sep 19, 2011
April Matson wrote:
Since the purchase of our 04 Envoy XUV we have had nothing put problems with the entire rear gate design. We are told that this is the only one that they've seen the problem with. I'm hoping to contact some other XUV consumers to find out if that is true. Has anyone else had problems with the ENVOY XUV design.
I have had mine for four years and lightly lube it regularly and never have had a problem.
Mike

De Pere, WI

#26 Sep 19, 2011
Use it occasionally, even when you don't need to, keep everything moving and use light grease so it moves smooth and it should work great. Rubber conditioner on all the seals will keep everything watertight.
Mike

De Pere, WI

#27 Sep 19, 2011
Ben98gs wrote:
<quoted text>
Our XUV does... The roof will fully close, but the display flashes "Clear Roof Obstruction" and wont let you roll up the back window. It tells you to "Open Roof" and then "Close Roof" but it still says the same thing.
Clean the track with a wire brush and re-lube, worked for me. Real common if you open it in the winter as you get ice in the track.
kevin

Lethbridge, Canada

#28 Dec 1, 2011
Ben98gs wrote:
<quoted text>
Our XUV does... The roof will fully close, but the display flashes "Clear Roof Obstruction" and wont let you roll up the back window. It tells you to "Open Roof" and then "Close Roof" but it still says the same thing.
We just bought a Envoy XUV 2004 and the back window is soooo slow to go up and down and gets stuck? is this normal?
Christina

Montrose, AL

#29 Feb 29, 2012
April Matson wrote:
I have had problems as well on my 04. I haven't been able to use my back door at all for over a year now, no one knows how to fix it and the dealerships want $1200 to fix. Very frustrated!!!
Duke

Missouri City, TX

#30 Mar 28, 2012
2004 Envoy XUV, rear window works fine but both latches for opening down or sideways quit working. I know where the fuses are but don't know which one it is. Any help.
Andy J

Buffalo, NY

#31 Apr 10, 2013
Studebaker had this feature on it's Wagonaires from 1963 - 66. Great idea, poor execution... It seems 40 years and a change of companies hasn't solved anything!
Tedesco1215

Jamaica, NY

#32 Jul 28, 2015
April Matson wrote:
>>>>>I have not had any problems with my 2004 GMC XUV SLT WITH 150,000 MILES!!! I'll give you some advice for the sliding roof. You must maintain it just like regular oil changes. My roof was working on and off until my Mechanic BIG MIKE, showed me how to maintain it. My mechanic only buys Envoys! They are his favorite vehicles. First, clean out the tracks preferably with a air gun. Then you must buy a LUBRICANT and lube it up as good as you can. I use the name Brand "WRENCH" that comes in the can. After all this, open and close the roof about 4 times. People who put are vehicle down and bad mouth it are just made they got taken advantage of by a use car sales men!! They should have been smart and had their mechanic BIG MIKE look at it first!!! Lol I love my 2004 XUV SLT!!!
LyT247

San Antonio, TX

#33 Oct 8, 2015
Michelle in California wrote:
The retracting roof has decided that it isn't closed when it is! I get a "Close Roof" message when I drive the car with a bell sound that drives me crazy. I really love my ENVOY for the most part. Too bad GMC didn't invest the time and money to build a better quality car. After much trial and error I finally found the spot that was "JUST RIGHT" where it decided the roof was finally "closed". It took me three days to find it. I am afraid to use it now that it will act up again. Which is sad because it is one of the cool things about this truck.
Michelle
How did you fine "the spot?"
Broadway

United States

#34 Nov 10, 2015
April Matson wrote:
Yes I have had problems with the tail gate I fixed the window and now the gate will not open is this normal?
GM Engineer

Avon Lake, OH

#35 May 1, 2016
Tedesco1215 wrote:
<quoted text>
>>>>>I have not had any problems with my 2004 GMC XUV SLT WITH 150,000 MILES!!! I'll give you some advice for the sliding roof. You must maintain it just like regular oil changes. My roof was working on and off until my Mechanic BIG MIKE, showed me how to maintain it. My mechanic only buys Envoys! They are his favorite vehicles. First, clean out the tracks preferably with a air gun. Then you must buy a LUBRICANT and lube it up as good as you can. I use the name Brand "WRENCH" that comes in the can. After all this, open and close the roof about 4 times. People who put are vehicle down and bad mouth it are just made they got taken advantage of by a use car sales men!! They should have been smart and had their mechanic BIG MIKE look at it first!!! Lol I love my 2004 XUV SLT!!!
Moron, you are not supposed to use any lubricant on the tracks. Just keep them clean

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

GMC Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs (Nov '07) Thu Gwen 477
News Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owner's hangout (Mar '06) Dec 3 bildacious 653
07 gmc acadia Nov 20 Confused 2
News GM Expands Recall to Fix Truck, SUV Brakes (Mar '06) Nov 15 Anonymous 75
News Chevy S10/GMC S15-Sonoma: Problems & Solutions (Apr '06) Oct '16 Tolley 525
How to improve poor starter bearing lubrication Sep '16 Andybaby 1
News Blazer Electric Rear Hatch Will not Open (Sep '06) Sep '16 huenig 64
More from around the web