GMC's sliding roof slides away; Envoy...

GMC's sliding roof slides away; Envoy XUV didn't come close to ...

There are 38 comments on the AutoWeek story from Feb 22, 2005, titled GMC's sliding roof slides away; Envoy XUV didn't come close to .... In it, AutoWeek reports that:

So much for hauling grandfather clocks. General Motors has decided to kill the GMC Envoy XUV, an SUV with a power-operated sliding roof over the cargo area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at AutoWeek.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hermen

Johnson City, TN

#1 Feb 15, 2006
What happen to the XUV. Why did GM stop making them?
Len Chase

Albany, NY

#2 Jul 7, 2006
Has anyone done an article on removing the removable roof on the Xuv to make it a quasi-Avalance? I would assume that removing the movable roof, side glass and frames would be a tremendous weight savings and would look much more streamlined....
April Matson

United States

#3 Aug 23, 2007
Since the purchase of our 04 Envoy XUV we have had nothing put problems with the entire rear gate design. We are told that this is the only one that they've seen the problem with. I'm hoping to contact some other XUV consumers to find out if that is true. Has anyone else had problems with the ENVOY XUV design.
Ben98gs

Shirley, IN

#4 Dec 22, 2007
April Matson wrote:
Has anyone else had problems with the ENVOY XUV design.
Our XUV does... The roof will fully close, but the display flashes "Clear Roof Obstruction" and wont let you roll up the back window. It tells you to "Open Roof" and then "Close Roof" but it still says the same thing.
BOB Pickering Ontario

Toronto, Canada

#5 Jan 9, 2008
Check the position of the rear windshield wiper. It does inhibit the opening and closing and operation of the rear window. It must be fully seated.
Ben98gs wrote:
<quoted text>
Our XUV does... The roof will fully close, but the display flashes "Clear Roof Obstruction" and wont let you roll up the back window. It tells you to "Open Roof" and then "Close Roof" but it still says the same thing.
Sam

Greenville, NC

#6 Jan 11, 2008
April Matson wrote:
Since the purchase of our 04 Envoy XUV we have had nothing put problems with the entire rear gate design. We are told that this is the only one that they've seen the problem with. I'm hoping to contact some other XUV consumers to find out if that is true. Has anyone else had problems with the ENVOY XUV design.
See Envoy XUV in Yahoo! Groups. Some other folks have had a problem and had it fixed. Personally -I haven't had a minutes problem with mine at 40 K miles. Have your GM dealer check the service bulletins.
NEHicks

AOL

#7 Feb 12, 2008
April Matson wrote:
I have also had numerous problems with the rear gate. I live in the country and spend much time on dirt roads. The dirt gets into the latch sensors and renders them inoperable. Our dealer has replaced them 3 times, so far, all under warranty. He has stated that there is no way to clean them, so he will continue replacing them about 2 times a year.
Ben98gs

United States

#8 Mar 3, 2008
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
See Envoy XUV in Yahoo! Groups. Some other folks have had a problem and had it fixed. Personally -I haven't had a minutes problem with mine at 40 K miles. Have your GM dealer check the service bulletins.
The wiper has nothing to do with this problem... But thanks for the advice. It all has to do with the roof itself (or a sensor or something).
The Stemeths

Phoenix, AZ

#9 Apr 7, 2008
We've got a 2005 GMC Envoy XUV and it too posts the dreaded, "clear roof obstruction". I've not found a remedy to date other than continuous high pressure water along the rails as the manual suggests. I too have searched for a sensor and found nothing. The only tip I have is to thoroughly extinguish the rails with water. Even towards the front of the vehicle. I've found that quite a lot of debris (partial leaves, those "helicopter seeds" and small twigs or branches) get caught underneath the chrome housings. I've cleared the "roof obstruction" this way...
Working Woman

Chula Vista, CA

#10 Apr 19, 2008
April Matson wrote:
This problem can probably be linked to karma. I find when I receive things I have not worked for, they don't work for me.
Ric

Wasilla, AK

#11 May 8, 2008
April Matson wrote:
Yes, I have a 2004 XUV, and have trouble with the roof, especially during cold weaather. but, the bigest problem has been the rear gate. There apparently is inadequate seals on the gate pressure switches (to drop or swing the gate) and the water intrusion causes all manner of problems with the switches, including failure.
Merv

Honolulu, HI

#12 Dec 27, 2008
I have a 2004 XUV with the retractable roof leaking and the rear window not closing and a "clear roof obstruction" on the dash display. I've changed the roof module to no avail. I've been working on it for a few weeks and can't seem to find the problem. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Michelle from California

Corona, CA

#13 May 7, 2009
My 2004 SLT Envoy XUV. The rear widow goes down all by it's self! Engine off, keys out of the ignition. Sometimes I have problems getting the rear window to drop using the key in the door as it doesn't seem to know if it wants to retract the roof or raise/lower the rear window. I live in S. California so I don't have the extreme temps some owners do.
toldya so

United States

#14 May 8, 2009
This is the same reason nobody bought trucks with rear turning wheels. Nobody trust's GM to do it right and not have expensive recurring problems. I say anyone who owns a GM has the right to take it to a field and torch it!!!!
MikeXUV

Smithville, OH

#15 Jun 1, 2009
Ben98gs wrote:
<quoted text>
The wiper has nothing to do with this problem... But thanks for the advice. It all has to do with the roof itself (or a sensor or something).
make sure that the roof track is clean., also hose the roof track down.. If that dosent help call your nearest dealer TODAY!
PhilipJohn52

Wilmington, DE

#16 Jul 8, 2009
I've got the '04 XUV - it's my second, I traded my first at 40,000 miles - and I now have 92,000 miles on it and I've only had one problem with the rear gate/roof system on the vehicle - the switch that operates the side-opening function of the tailgate stopped working at 50,000 miles and again at 88,000 miles. I've had to remove it and clean out the corrosion that builds up across the copper connector wires and solder a "splint" across the wires to reestablish the connections. Once done, the switch works like new. This second time I've had to repair it, I siliconed over the repair area so that should make it last indefinitely.
Tman70043

Richmond, VA

#17 Oct 21, 2009
I have a "clear rear window obstruction" mesg. There are no obstructions. I've taken the tailgate apart to view the inside, and it looks good. Any advise? So I replace the regulator? Are there sensors I can clean? if so, where the heck are they. THANKS!
Dave Russell

Canada

#18 Nov 10, 2009
I have a 2004 Envoy XUV and today the rear window would not go up. Took it to the dealership and they diagnosed the problem as the wires have become entangled with the motor. They have indicated that I need a new motor / regulator assembly. The problem is that they are having problems finding the parts. GM changed suppliers and they are looking for parts. Seems the old stock has been depleted. Stay tuned - I will update the post when I get the word on their search for parts.

BTW: I have had three of the four hinges replaced on the rear gate, The wiper motor has been replaced also. The rear gate design is not one of GM's shining examples of excellence.

Dave
Michelle in California

Redlands, CA

#19 Nov 11, 2009
The retracting roof has decided that it isn't closed when it is! I get a "Close Roof" message when I drive the car with a bell sound that drives me crazy. I really love my ENVOY for the most part. Too bad GMC didn't invest the time and money to build a better quality car. After much trial and error I finally found the spot that was "JUST RIGHT" where it decided the roof was finally "closed". It took me three days to find it. I am afraid to use it now that it will act up again. Which is sad because it is one of the cool things about this truck.
Michelle
Dave Russell

Canada

#20 Nov 16, 2009
Update: The GM Dealer informed me that the original supplier of the Rear Window regulator assembly is no longer in business. There were no spare parts in Canada. An order was placed in the US and the status was that the original part number has been upgraded to two part numbers. One part number for the regulator and another part number for the motor. GM US could supply one of the parts in 5 to 8 working days and they could not guarantee the other part in the next month. I figured I would call GM Customer Service to get some help ( You would think that by calling GM itself, things would happen ). I did not hear back from GM Customer service for 2 days and when I called back they said they were waiting for status from the dealership. SO much for any confidence that GM Customer Service really cares about their customers.

To make a long story short, it is a good thing that I have an outstanding GM dealership that understands what customer service is all about. As soon as they found out that the second part would take a month or more to be sourced, they started checking auto wreckers for a rear gate. One was found the next day and the Envoy is fixed.

GM needs to get its part supply issues fixed.
GM needs to get a Customer Service dept staffed with people who really care about GM's customers.
and
GM really needs to look at the repair actions for specific vehicles and reach out to those customers and offer some concessions to reduce the cost of repair for GM's poor designs.

If GM really wants to become a force in the automotive industry again, GM needs to ensure that its customers are truly satisfied with the product and that when ( not if ) a problem occurs, that there are people in place to step up and fix the problem.

If I did not have a dealership who cared about their customers and was creative in finding a solution, I would be a very dissatisfied customer and you can rest assured, I would telling the world about my experience.

----------

Here
Dave Russell wrote:
I have a 2004 Envoy XUV and today the rear window would not go up. Took it to the dealership and they diagnosed the problem as the wires have become entangled with the motor. They have indicated that I need a new motor / regulator assembly. The problem is that they are having problems finding the parts. GM changed suppliers and they are looking for parts. Seems the old stock has been depleted. Stay tuned - I will update the post when I get the word on their search for parts.
BTW: I have had three of the four hinges replaced on the rear gate, The wiper motor has been replaced also. The rear gate design is not one of GM's shining examples of excellence.
Dave

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

GMC Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2007 GMC Sierra ball joint failure (Dec '10) Tue KB USA 14
News GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs (Nov '07) Oct 6 Trina 508
News GM Expands Recall to Fix Truck, SUV Brakes (Mar '06) Aug '17 Shannon ploof 81
News Chevy S10/GMC S15-Sonoma: Problems & Solutions (Apr '06) Jul '17 Wwilson 528
News Blazer Electric Rear Hatch Will not Open (Sep '06) Mar '17 Sdonohue1994 66
Static radio!! (Jan '17) Jan '17 Kristen 1
News GM to drop Safari, Astro (May '06) Dec '16 DonA 37
More from around the web