GMC Yukon XL Suspension rattle
Marc

United States

#82 May 28, 2008
Here is the website and the TSB's
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/tsbsearch.c...
or just drill down to steering
Marc

United States

#83 May 28, 2008
sorry- these are the NHTSA numbers to make the search easier
cowboy97

Moss Point, MS

#84 Aug 9, 2008
My 2006 Z-71 was brand new with less than 5000 miles a loud clunking noise like a loose caliper or shock could be felt and heard under the left front of vehicle.
Dealership said it needed a shim kit for the front crossmember. Had it installed. 10000 miles same noise.
dealership tightened the cross member. 25000 miles sounds like front end is coming out when making a turn. Progressively getting worse.
Any suggestions other than giving it back to
GM?
Denny Jiosa

Dillon, SC

#85 Aug 22, 2008
I am considering purchasing a 2004 yukon xl. Carfax states the steering shaft has been replaced twice at 20k mile and again a 6 months later. The vehicle is in show room condition w/94k miles on it. This is the only negative I see on the carfax. is this a dangerous issue or just annoying?
barry prater

Grand Rapids, MI

#86 Sep 4, 2008
on the phone for 1 hour to no avail,gmc rep said i would have to pay 200.00 to correct a known problem that exists in their product(2005 yukon xl),said i could write to gmc in detroit my complaint,why waste my time.is there some path to follow to pursue to make this a mandatory replacement by gmc.i'm sick of talk and want justice,my time and money is just as important as gmcs.somebody give me some ideas and i'll run with it.oh yeah .... its a lease and i told the dealer to keep it in the garage,i don' want it back and i'll deal with the bad credit issue [email protected]
raynald

Saint-jean, Canada

#87 Nov 4, 2008
i have a knocking noise in my 2000 yukon i ve had the steering wheel shaft greesed but nothing changed it sounds like something knocking when dring on a bumpty road even had my windshield removed and replaced but problem still their need help
dan

United States

#88 Nov 23, 2008
I have this very same problem with my 2003 chevy impala. After many times in for the lube job I was promised an improved replacement just before my warranty expired. I never got it. I think we should all take our ignored issues to the white house when the executives from gm show up and beg for money to save their butts. Then we could tell them why they really are going out of business.
First Silverado Ma

Holden, MA

#89 Dec 6, 2008
Is this problem affecting the vehicle if there is no greasing right away ??
Jeremy

Fresno, CA

#90 Jan 5, 2009
My 2006 had the same problem. It was a recall in the steering column that the dealer replaced and no problems ever since. The first 3 times they greased it and said it was normal maintenance, finally they swapped it out.
Cameron

Lawrenceville, GA

#91 Jan 28, 2009
Where exactly did you drill for the grease fitting?
dave ny

Tully, NY

#92 Jan 31, 2009
all of you that are going to switch to fords or other manufacturers, do you think you will never have problems with them? if you do you are complete idiots and it is no wonder or country is falling apart with all the idiots living here!
Steve

Glenview, IL

#93 Jan 31, 2009
I had the same problem,2000 yukon xl, I got under the dash as sprayed the steering u joint with WD40 5 yrs ago after the dealer could'nt fix and I have not had the noise since,Strange but true.
Robert

Washington, DC

#94 Jul 13, 2009
I have a 2002 Yukon 1500 with 103k miles. I had the same issue with the clunking and pattering around right turns at slow speeds for the last 30k miles. Then yesterday I found two grease points in the Intermediate steering... I greased both until the old grease was gone, replaced by new grease. Now the truck drives like a dream.
Gary

Phoenix, AZ

#95 Aug 29, 2009
My 2000 Yukon 5.3l had same problem. Chev fixed for $268 total by replacing the intermediate steering shaft. No noise since. Apparently they now have a 'newer improved version'.
albert

United States

#96 Sep 6, 2009
DMH 2005 HD2500 wrote:
My 2003 HD 2500 DuraMax has had the steering colum replaced once and had been packed with grease by the dealer two other times. The problem always returns after @ 10 to 15k more miles. It is just starting to knock or clunk on right sweeping turns again now. The dealer stated on the last visit that GM should have built in a grease fitting on the colum. They charged me for the last service and said the factory considers this maintenance. Other than this, I have been very happy with the truck.
<quoted text>
my steering wheel is stuck any clues whats wrong
albert

United States

#97 Sep 6, 2009
my steering is stuck any clues whats up on this
boston mass

Taunton, MA

#98 Apr 8, 2010
gm master tech...they will only recall a specific part if it puts the driver or passengers in risk of danger.the steering shaft is just a customer satisfactory related issue
boston mass

Taunton, MA

#99 Apr 8, 2010
the "i" shaft will not cause any alignment issues what so ever period
Fred Alberta

Burnaby, Canada

#100 Aug 10, 2010
I have the same problam front end clunks over bumps rough ride 2002 gmc Yukon ."I hope GMC sees this post "never buy a gm vehicle worst company /product vehicles suck
Jared Lapacek

Schofield, WI

#102 Nov 9, 2010
I have a 2006 suburban Z71 with the same rattle in the steering wheel. 79000 miles,not sure if it has ever been done before. Bought it a couple months ago. Outside of the rattle and the premature tire wear I like the vehile. Is there any grease zerks on the shaft a person could greae it themselves? How about the tire issue? Humming noise tires are wearing and chopping on the inside. Checked frnt wheel bearings and they seem tight. I have had all knds of vehicles and they all have there quirks. Any word on a fix permanently yet?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

GMC Yukon XL Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GM Expands Recall to Fix Truck, SUV Brakes (Mar '06) Aug 21 Shannon ploof 81
capacity of factory cross bars? (Mar '16) Mar '16 UHSYukon 1
2015 yukon xl cross over pipe (Jun '15) Jun '15 Butch Pernar 2
99 Yukon blowing 4x4 fuse 20 amp at dashboard p... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Thunderbolt 1
2000 yukon xl (Feb '14) Mar '15 pontoon puller 2
yukon xl (Oct '08) Sep '14 pontoon puller 4
New Transmission (Aug '13) Aug '13 KCKPM1 1
More from around the web