freightliner clutch adjustment

Posted in the Freightliner Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BRYNN

AOL

#1 Aug 2, 2008
I need to do a clutch adjustment on my 1998 Freightliner Classic XL, has anyone done this and what advice can you give me?
daniel

Atlanta, GA

#2 Aug 12, 2008
It depends on what kinda clutch you have... The most common type you will need a 5/8 socket and another person. You get under the truck and have him on the inside bumping the engine until the adjustment bolt is at the access panel. Have him press the clutch pedal down and you will need to press the bolt in while turning the it.. after acouple of turns have him release the pedal until it feels right... you only want about an half inch of travel in the pedal.
Jonboy

Oshkosh, WI

#3 Aug 20, 2008
1/2" space between the throwout bearing and the front bearing cover on the trans. then you adjust the linkage to get the proper free pedal travel.
Gene NV

United States

#4 May 30, 2009
How do you know when to replace the clutch? 500K, it was slipping I had it adjusted it works now.
daniel wrote:
It depends on what kinda clutch you have... The most common type you will need a 5/8 socket and another person. You get under the truck and have him on the inside bumping the engine until the adjustment bolt is at the access panel. Have him press the clutch pedal down and you will need to press the bolt in while turning the it.. after acouple of turns have him release the pedal until it feels right... you only want about an half inch of travel in the pedal.
mikey

Riverside, CA

#5 Jul 13, 2010
my clutch brake is going out. the mechanics are telling me i need a whole new clutch. is this true?
Richard

Chicago, IL

#6 Sep 6, 2010
The 5/8 bolt on the clutch to adjust the clutch with do you turn it right or left clockwise or counter clockwise
John G

Little Falls, NJ

#7 May 25, 2011
1998 Freightliner with Detroit diesel after being in stop and go traffic I start to lose my clutch and some times I push the clutch in and out a couple of time and it gets better, it seems that happens when things start getting hot.its fine when I first start up
John G

Little Falls, NJ

#8 May 25, 2011
Anyone one have this problem the front right side of Cab bangs when ever I go over a dip in the road or pot hole more likely to happen on a right turn. is the cab falling off, is this an out of service item ??1998 Century
carole

Belgium

#9 Jun 22, 2011
would someone please be able to send me a manual or any piece of paper on how to adjust a clutch on an eaton valeo 17 inch non synchronised gear box on a freightliner fld 120 classic from 1992?
please mail me at [email protected]
thank you soooo much in advance
Crisco Britches

United States

#10 Jun 28, 2011
It is most likely your cab mount bushings. Located on each side below the firewall. A set for a side costs less than $100 from the dealer.
John G wrote:
Anyone one have this problem the front right side of Cab bangs when ever I go over a dip in the road or pot hole more likely to happen on a right turn. is the cab falling off, is this an out of service item ??1998 Century
Martin

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Jul 13, 2011
does that clutch pedal adjustment also work on a 2010 cascadia
Runner

United States

#12 Jan 13, 2012
Can u put a a pic .
Crisco Britches wrote:
It is most likely your cab mount bushings. Located on each side below the firewall. A set for a side costs less than $100 from the dealer.
<quoted text>
Flacs

United States

#13 Mar 30, 2012
They tell my truck has an automatic clutch it's a 2000 Frightliner classic and if so can it be adjusted and if so how
bill

Calgary, Canada

#14 Aug 25, 2012
I own a Freightliner Columbia 2004 with a Mercedes engine. Recently, my truck's engine RPM winds down when pressing the clutch for engaging the gears when starting to move. it appears to occur only when the engine has been warmed up. any ideas as to what the problem might be?
jbmoves

Toronto, Canada

#15 Aug 29, 2012
daniel wrote:
which way do you turn th 5/8th nut, clock wise or counter clock wise
jbmoves

Toronto, Canada

#16 Aug 29, 2012
the 5/8th bolt, is it turned clock wise or counter clock wise
diljit singh

UAE

#17 Dec 29, 2012
We have mercedes truck 1735LP when we are put in reveres gear become engage make noise..pls help us
Buchanan

United States

#18 Mar 22, 2013
I have 2005 freight liner with a automatice trans and the Detroit in it and the clutch is starting to slip. It kinda looks like it has a where indacater on the clutch but can't see how to adjust it can any one help
Raees

Durban, South Africa

#19 Mar 25, 2013
Hi I have a 07 freightliner argosy 500 isx autoshift.When i select a gear my lcd flashers and won't select only if it rolls would it select.Can anyone tell me what it is Thanks
David L Freeman

Austin, TX

#20 Apr 22, 2013
daniel wrote:
It depends on what kinda clutch you have... The most common type you will need a 5/8 socket and another person. You get under the truck and have him on the inside bumping the engine until the adjustment bolt is at the access panel. Have him press the clutch pedal down and you will need to press the bolt in while turning the it.. after a couple of turns have him release the pedal until it feels right... you only want about an half inch of travel in the pedal.
Daniel you have it mostly correct except a driver actually want between 1 1/2" to 2" of free travel in clutch pedal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Freightliner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Freightliner - No data activity - message (Mar '11) Fri Ismith 45
Gen 1 auto-shift want shift to next gear after ... Jul 16 Deryk 3
2010 Cascadia losing oil pressure when slowing ... (Jul '16) Jun '17 Rol 4
Freightliner has active code computer won't hoo... May '17 Michael 1
2009 Cascadia A/C problems, help? (Sep '11) May '17 Tarus 11
2015 M2 Feightliner dash cluster is cracking an... (May '16) May '17 KSasser 2
07 autoshift problems (Feb '10) May '17 Hector 114
More from around the web