Gas station fuel mix-up damages custo...

Gas station fuel mix-up damages customers' cars

There are 18 comments on the WTSP Tampa Bay story from Dec 12, 2007, titled Gas station fuel mix-up damages customers' cars. In it, WTSP Tampa Bay reports that:

Dee Thompson stopped at the Murphy USA gas station on U.S. 92 last Tuesday after she borrowed her mother's car.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTSP Tampa Bay.

Barbie

AOL

#1 Dec 12, 2007
I was also a victim of the Gasoline mix up at the Auburndale Wal-mart a week ago Tuesday. I attempted to leave a softball game after putting $30.00 of what I thought was Unleaded gas in my car but my car wouldn't start and big black clouds of smoke came from my exhaust pipe. The following morning while trying to take my car to the shop, it cut off 3 times and had to be towed to the dealership. The cost to fix my car was $711.10. However, on Thursday of last week I contacted the gas station and they advised me that they would reimbuse me for the repairs and the gas I purchased. Although I was happy to hear that I was still a little disappointed because I was without a car for 2 days, they did not offer anything for the inconvience to me and the other customers. On Wednesday, 12/11/07 I received my check in the amount of $741.10, however, I will no longer purchase gas from the Murphy USA gas stations.
JoJo

Detroit, MI

#2 Dec 12, 2007
People, stay away from Murphy fuels. My daughter has had problems with her car because there was water in the fuel tanks and Murphy was the only place she buys gas. Now that she dosen't buy her gas there anymore, she hasn't had any trouble with her car.
Husband

Wimauma, FL

#3 Dec 12, 2007
Can't you smell diesel as soon as you start to pump? Women...
Obbop

Omaha, NE

#4 Dec 12, 2007
Some folks don't stick their nose near the fuel inlet.

And, if there's a wind blowing the fumes away from the one pumping the fuel.

Cut some slack!!!
no name

United States

#5 Dec 12, 2007
Husband wrote:
I am not a woman and I would not know what diesel fuel smelled like. I just pump and move on. I don't sniff the fumes like you must do.
Redirect

United States

#6 Dec 12, 2007
It's not Murphy USA you should be mad at but the transportation company who dropped diesel fuel into the gasoline storage tank. The company transporting the product is the cause not the station or it's operators. Find out who the transporter was and don't patronize locations that they service.

I don't think Murphy transports their own stuff but someone here would know probably.
Local Skimmer

United States

#7 Dec 13, 2007
Husband wrote:
Do you really sniff the gas when you pump you sexist pig? It's guys like you that should be sodomized by a midget monkey for stupid ignorant remarks like the comment you made to that lady.
AFPJ

Palm Harbor, FL

#8 Dec 13, 2007
Hint 1, hopefully the fuel delivery company will hire people that can read, most tanks containing diesel are labeled as such. Stop hiring drivers that rode the short yellow bus to school.
Texas Iceman

United States

#9 Mar 21, 2008
From whom does Murphy USA buy it's oil? Saudia or Hugo Chavez?
Concerned

Pasadena, TX

#10 Apr 3, 2008
Local Skimmer wrote:
<quoted text>Do you really sniff the gas when you pump you sexist pig? It's guys like you that should be sodomized by a midget monkey for stupid ignorant remarks like the comment you made to that lady.
Are you telling me that you have never in all the times that you have pumped gas into your car that you have never smelled gas because if you did wouldn't you know when you started to pump something that smelled a little different and you wouldn't have to put your nose down by the nozel to smell the difference. i have never pumped gas without getting a wiff of the fuel as it was being pumped, later
Kyla

Winnipeg, Canada

#11 Jul 25, 2009
To the guy named husband first I am a female and I have been working at a gas station in winnipeg, Mb for 3 years 1 and a half of which I was a pump attendant and I still regularly go out and pump gas with my employees I have never once had a fuel mix up. In my 3 years here we have had 5 mix ups and only one of them was done by a female, who caught it with in 30 seconds. When the diesel is on the same pumps a gas it is easy for a pump attendant to mix it up depending on how busy the sight is. I have had many people on self serve mix it up as well most of which are male!!
Shawn

Rio Rancho, NM

#12 Dec 31, 2009
Dec 30 0913 hrs I filled my tank at Murphy's got a half a block and my car died at the stop sign, I got it moving again then stopped at a light and it died again, I got it running again and drove straight to my Mechanic and on the way there the check engine lite came on.... After 3 hrs of trying to figure it out he finally checked the Gas and the mixture was 1/2 gas and 1/2 water can someone explain that to me.... sounds like some1 stole the gas and replaced the volume with water to me or the delivery guy stole it and replaced the volume in the truck he was to deliver with water ....
Sarah

Providence, RI

#13 Jan 30, 2010
The same thing happened to me. I got gas from Kattans mart in cranston RI on wed. night thurs. morning I went to go off to work and my car died. I had to get it towed I could not even drive it. When I found out that I had water in my tank I went to get a sample from that same gas station and same pump and sure enough it has 30 percent water. However the station owner denied that there was anything wrong with his tanks.
Larry

North Richland Hills, TX

#14 Mar 31, 2010
I just had the same problem with my car, but this happen to be a well known gas station. quick trip. I have yet reported it, but there should be a number on the gas tank to send out an inspector
Jenifer

Flint, MI

#15 Apr 2, 2010
Shawn wrote:
Dec 30 0913 hrs I filled my tank at Murphy's got a half a block and my car died at the stop sign, I got it moving again then stopped at a light and it died again, I got it running again and drove straight to my Mechanic and on the way there the check engine lite came on.... After 3 hrs of trying to figure it out he finally checked the Gas and the mixture was 1/2 gas and 1/2 water can someone explain that to me.... sounds like some1 stole the gas and replaced the volume with water to me or the delivery guy stole it and replaced the volume in the truck he was to deliver with water ....
Years ago when I worked in a gas station, we had to dip the tanks to measure the level of water in the underground tank. I don't know that it's done the same way now, but I believe gas stations are supposed to check the water levels of their tanks to ensure such things don't happen. A water level that high sounds to me like the tank was leaking and water was being allowed to get into it, but I'm not by any means an expert.
Employee

El Dorado, AR

#16 Jun 21, 2010
I would definitely be getting fuel somewhere else.
HonestMan

Seffner, FL

#17 Jun 21, 2010
Hope none of these folks were in the process of making a cross country drive.
mechanic 20 years

Mountain Home, AR

#18 Apr 24, 2012
Number 1: Fuel and water do not mix with each other. If water got into the gas mixture it would sink to the bottom as fuel was being pumped.
Number 2: Diesel pump nozzles are much bigger than gas pumps. This was designed to prevent incedents like this.
Number 3: I personally don't use Murphys oil products because it has a higher ethanol rating than most gas stations. i use cheveron and citgo, they are just as cheap and dont just have the state minimum mixes. But take note that not all vehicles run on high octane or low ethanol better like some would think. i would recomend reading your owners manual and using the same type of gas as much as possible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I get washed along with my car. May 20 Vehicle Repair OCD 1
News First Coast Man Invents Gas Saving Device (Feb '08) May 16 arizona 41
News Washington Auto Show Gets Greener (Apr '08) May 5 chris hegeman 2
News A 1997 Ford Ranger For Riding Fences Apr 26 Lucy Jane 1
News Fiat Chrysler's recall, Toyota's earthquake woe... Apr 25 more of 1
News Four new (or updated) electric cars coming for ... Apr 25 Solarman 1
News Suspect in triple murder case testifies against... Apr '16 Christina 3
More from around the web