coil over plug- replace plugs - ign...
Jim C

Girard, TX

#62 Feb 19, 2012
Count me in on any Class Action Suit. My 2002 has less than 5,000 miles and this week it appears I am having the engine misses and my check engine light is blinking...sounds like the same issue everyone else is talking about. I purchased this Tbird new and it has never sat outside and has never been in any rain or snow. This is rediculous that the 2002 is not considered under the same warranty as the 2003-2005. This problem should be CORRECTED BY FORD. I would like to be considered in any class action that could take place.
M Stasiak

Ambridge, PA

#63 Jul 29, 2012
I have a 2003 Tbird and experienced the coil problem with less than 20,000 miles on the car. I took the letter I received from Ford and went to the Annapolis, MD Ford dealer. They replaced the defective coil and refused to honor the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty as stated in the letter. They refused to release the car back to me unless I paid for the repair [which I regretably did]. The service manager stated that their rational for refusing to honor the coil warranty was because when they removed the coil - it was dry inside and not wet - therefore the warranty did not apply.?????
I am taking my receipt and the letter from Ford to an attorney. Won't buy another Ford- ever.
Bryan - Boynton Beach

Grand Blanc, MI

#64 Jul 30, 2012
I had number six replaced on my 2002 and then four weks later another one went bad.

I sucked it up after getting nowhere with Ford, and took it to a dealer during their slow time and had them all done.

Wow what a difference! It now drives like an eight cylinder again.

They said to hold onto the receipt in case Ford ever extends the warranty on 02s.

I was looking for a repalcement and considered the Mustang but instead bought the Camero. No more Fords
L California

Malibu, CA

#65 Aug 7, 2012
Interested in the class action. My 2002 has been driven 45000 and as soon as I have one (very expensive) coil fixed,another "breaks".
Anyone had any luck talking to Ford?
L California

Malibu, CA

#66 Aug 7, 2012
I just called 800 392 FORD and complained. The more people that do that, the bigger chance there is for a reaction from Ford.

Also call: National HIgway and traffic administration and complain: 800 424 9393, they are in charge of recalls.

Call them both!!!
red bird 02 nj

Irvington, NJ

#68 Oct 11, 2012
190,000 on my 02 t bird had all valve gaskets and coils and plugs replaced at 80,000 now 190,000 car misfiring no codes on conputer read out going to change plugs and clean coils wish me luck i do love my car but this sould be fords problem not mine
slo bird

Atascadero, CA

#69 Dec 12, 2012
Brad West Palm Beach Fl wrote:
Now the 2003, 2004 and 2005 models have extended factory coverage to 10 years / 100,000 miles. 2002 models have not been included yet. Information is covered in a Customer satisfaction Program -07M07 from July 2007 that covered the 2003 year. A updae to this Program 07M07, Supplement #1 dated May, 2008 extended the coverage to include the 2004 and 2005 models. The 2003 coverage is for coils and gaskets, the 2004 & 2005 covers the coil only as there was supposed to be a redesign in '04 & '05 to eliminate the gasket issue. This is Fords extended coverage, you do not need your extended warranty to cover this.
This recall that I have heard so much about is unclear. Please explain the coverage, a recall covers items that may become defective and its replaced. My Thunderbird has almost 100,00 miles and so far so good. So are the covers or coils replaced, before the damage is done or must the coils need replacing, how about the covers? Its bound to occur sooner or later. How can I benefit from this alert.
Anthony Pecora

Pasadena, CA

#70 Dec 29, 2012
I too have a 2002 Thunderbird. I love the car but if I could not do my own repairs I could not justify keeping it. I have had over heating problems which have lead to me replacing cooling fans and finally the cooling fan hydrolic pump. I have had to replace 3-4 coils over the life of the car and will replace a couple more tomorrow. Last year my engine blew up. Well, the engine threw a piston rod. My cousin found a low milege engine that I had put in and it runs great. Remember, the Thunderbird is a Jaguar and is therefore subject to all the problems of lucas electrical. Why do English like warm Beer? Lucas makes all their refregarators. Ha. Keep them on the street.Test the ohms on the coils. Resistence between the side terminats should be 0.75-0.81 ohms. The ohms between the center high tension terminal and either side terminal should be 10,000 to 11,000 ohms.
Joe Virginia

Floyd, VA

#71 Jan 13, 2013
I have a 2003 T-Bird that had numerous COP's replaced under warranty by Ford. The last two were replaced at 99,000 miles and at 102,000 the car started acting up again. I read a notice from Ford that over 50% of the COP's that had been returned to them were actually good. SO I thought about it. I started adding about 3 ounces of fuel stabilizer about every other time I filled the tank with gas. I now have over 134,000 miles on the car and have not had a problem. I believe the problem is that the gas we are using now contains 10% alcohol which lowers the octane and causes the misfires. It has worked for me and I hope this helps someone out there.
witolika

Waukegan, IL

#73 May 17, 2013
We own a 2003 Tbird and it only has 35k miles on it. It is only driven on clear days and stored in the winter. Every year the coils have to be replaced! We hadn't even put 50 miles onbit and the engine indicator came on! Is there a permanent fix for this problem? This will be the third year in a row the ignition coils have to be replaced. Help....we all need a PERMANENT FIX not a bandaid.
styron bond

Benson, NC

#74 Jun 2, 2013
I'm having the same problems.Its been repaired 3 times.Its missing again and I just had it fixed.
Joyce

Westfield, NJ

#75 Jun 3, 2013
I bought my 2005 Ford Thunderbird 50th Edition in 2007 from a dealer in NY through a local dealership in Maryland. Since I was not the orgiginal owner, I never knew about the recall. Kept spending $$ having them replaced. Replaced several times at the very same dealership whom I purchased the car. They never informed me that there was a re-call on the ignition coails. I began having issues with the coils in 2009-2010 and still having issues. I just learned 3 weeks ago that there is a recall on the coils and a one time-replacement with the covers. After taking it to a dealership in which the customer satisfaction suggested I take it to, they are giving me a run around about what the actual bulletins means. I am awaiting a call from one of the customer service manager and if it is not resolved I am calling Corporate. I am so disqusted with this and have been without my car now for about 6 days. I really have not been enjoying the car since 2009 because of one issue after the other. Is anyone else experiencing any of these issues regarding the coils in so far as the dealer not letting you know that there is a recall on these items? right now I am at 90,200 miles.
Azulic

New Orleans, LA

#76 Jun 20, 2013
Someone please help me.
I bought from the showroom the biggest and juicest lemon ever made by Ford.
Two weeks later, electrical problems...fixed by FORD...after that every imaginable problem withy battery issues...I have bought about 20 batteries since 2002. All coils have been changed...several times...I have had TWO battery switches installed to turn the car juice off...which means I have to open the trunk, turn the key on, start the car, turn the radio off and both AC duts switch them from 75 degrees to 60. When I am done driving, I have to open the trunk and turn the key off, for the device installed in the battery!
But, and here is the frightening thing: driving late at night all the lights began to blink and the slowly died on me...at 12 midnight! I had to walk home! I don't want to think if this would have happened in the highway.
The problem is, I do love this car...I have spent about $12.000 fixing the various problems. The Ford dealerships in Miami and New Orleans have taken my money but not fixed the problem.
LEGAL ACTION SUIT! FOR 2002...i AM IN!!!
Anybody knows what the problem could be...
I am desperate, to say the least! Thanks.
Patricia
sam

Lee Center, NY

#77 Jul 5, 2013
I replaced all of them myself ,alittle hassle . Easy fix and I bought all 8 for about 60 dollars for all eight. They were from china but what the heck for that price. A few went bad after a year but I left the covers off so they run cooler and water moisture will evaporate out of the plug hole.What I will be looking into is a modification and use some from the cobra engine. I will be interested to use a different type. OR if I really get ambitious I will pull that motor and put a cobra crate motor into that nice piece of junk. Just fear emission inspection problems to go around.
Marco Janet

Mustang, OK

#78 Jul 30, 2013
We just purchased an 02' thunderbird, 44000 miles.Drove it about 200 miles.#2 coil pack is alreadt out. I had no idea this problem was out there. Now were thinking what are we stuck with?
rOYZELL

Warsaw, IN

#79 Aug 27, 2013
Can you explain to me where is the spark plugs located?
styron bond

Asheboro, NC

#80 Aug 29, 2013
just replaced 2 more for 400.00,the car was unattended 2 hours or more after they replaced them.
joe

Merritt Island, FL

#82 Aug 30, 2013
I have a 2002 thunderbird with 29,000 miles. the engine started acting up today took it to ford. they put it on the computer said the no7 cylinder acting up took it for a ride and everything was ok. why is the 2002 thunderbirds not covered under this recall I paid 10,000 over the price of the car they ripped me of joe
joe rubinchak

Merritt Island, FL

#83 Aug 30, 2013
if we bought a lemon they should fix the car 2002 thunderbird 3.9 engine they are fixing the 2003 an up get with the program ford.
Steve

Lafayette, LA

#84 Sep 10, 2013
I have a 2003 Thunderbird with 19,720 miles that has left my wife stranded three times in the last two years. Had the number 8 coil replaced in 2012 at a cost of $270. Then found out about the extended warranty too late and now the Ford dealer is giving me an estimate of $1300 to replace the other seven coils. I called customer service and wasted my time trying to explain that the defect is a common problem and Ford should have a recall and replace them on all Thunderbird models 2002 thru 2005.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Thunderbird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1955 water temp sending unit Tue Joelkowalski 1
Authentic 50th annivry special addition Mar '16 Johng88rdy 1
2002 T-Bird (Jan '14) Feb '16 barbs 4
Help with 63 TBird Jan '16 AlexRWard 1
2003 cd radio (Sep '15) Sep '15 walter 1
2003 T-Bird Radio/CD (fits 2002-2005) (Jan '06) Aug '15 walter 2
News 1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (Jul '07) Jul '15 networkman 65
More from around the web