coil over plug- replace plugs - ignition problems

Posted in the Ford Thunderbird Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
joni kessler

Boca Raton, FL

#1 Dec 21, 2006
2002 Tbird. I replaced #4 and 7 in October and now 7 weeks later they tell me I have to replace #6. Seems there is a problem with misfiring. He told me it is not uncommon. If you have had this problem please contact me at jonibook@yahoo.com and tell me your problems.
5bird7

United States

#2 Jan 2, 2007
yes, and there is a TSB out for fixing.
Art Cate

Knoxville, TN

#3 Jan 22, 2007
joni kessler wrote:
2002 Tbird. I replaced #4 and 7 in October and now 7 weeks later they tell me I have to replace #6. Seems there is a problem with misfiring. He told me it is not uncommon. If you have had this problem please contact me at jonibook@yahoo.com and tell me your problems.
Water infiltration thru a known defective "foam" gasket!! Just cost me $798 on my 2002. And I know two other owners right here in Knoxville, TN who have had the same problem. Ford needs to make good on this!
kerry

Cranbrook, Canada

#4 Jan 24, 2007
joni kessler wrote:
#1 and #2 just started to misfire checked it with an obdII code reader. why is this happening?
Cynthia West Palm Beach

Jonas Ridge, NC

#5 Jun 18, 2007
2002 T-Bird, 43,000 miles. Replaced #3 in November (car had trouble starting). Replacing #6 now (car is misfireing).C2Starshine@bellso uth.net
Bill W

Pompano Beach, FL

#6 Jun 27, 2007
Just replaced coil/plug assembly #7 - with only 22,000 miles on my 2003 T-Bird. This cost $295.21 at Maroone Ford in Fort Lauderdale. Service manager says it is a problem and the replacement coils, warranted for 12 months, are the SAME. No improvement!
Don G

AOL

#7 Oct 6, 2007
I recently had the same problem, two trips to the shop and each time the repair works for one day and then the misfire occurs again. Currently the car is at the Ford dealership...hopefully they read TSB's. Does anyone know if this was a Ford recall item??
Steve N

Leicester, MA

#8 Feb 20, 2008
This seems to be an endemic problem for Ford COP systems. I have a Mazda MPV (Ford engine) and Have replaced all 6 coils in the last year. They say it's heat related but I don't see my friends with Hondas having this problem.
5bird7

Killeen, TX

#9 Mar 13, 2008
There is no recall on the c.o.p.s.

Those with 2003s should have received a letter from Ford last summer that gave 2003 owners an extended warranty on the c.o.p.s to 100,000 miles or 10 years, which ever comes first. Nothing like that for the 02s and nothing so far for the 04s and 05s.
Jimmy New Orleans

New Orleans, LA

#10 May 22, 2008
Water infiltration thru a known defective "foam" gasket in the windshield washer motor and shorted out the 5,6,7 & 8 coil/plug. 62800 miles $1200 What do I need to look forward to next time. I read that there is an extended warranty for 2003 models. Something needs to be done on 2002 also.
What happens when you drive through pot hole puddles????? Can I drive this car only on sunny days and hand wash my windshield so I don't use the windshiel washer!!!!!!!!!!
5bird7

Killeen, TX

#11 May 30, 2008
Jimmy, Since it sounds like you didn't buy an extended warranty on your car, your best bet the next time it happens is to take it to an independent mechanic you trust as it will cost you less than half of what a Ford dealer service dept. charges. to remove & replace one c.o.p. and plug takes about 1/2 hour but many of the dealerships charge their book rate for the work at 4 hours.
Save your receipts.
Brad West Palm Beach Fl

West Palm Beach, FL

#12 Jun 22, 2008
Now the 2003, 2004 and 2005 models have extended factory coverage to 10 years / 100,000 miles. 2002 models have not been included yet. Information is covered in a Customer satisfaction Program -07M07 from July 2007 that covered the 2003 year. A updae to this Program 07M07, Supplement #1 dated May, 2008 extended the coverage to include the 2004 and 2005 models. The 2003 coverage is for coils and gaskets, the 2004 & 2005 covers the coil only as there was supposed to be a redesign in '04 & '05 to eliminate the gasket issue. This is Fords extended coverage, you do not need your extended warranty to cover this.
Henry

New Berlin, NY

#13 Aug 12, 2008
I have a 2002 T-Bird also and have replace 3 coils and another has just failed. In speaking with Ford they say the reason they are covering the 2003 for 100K miles is that not many 2002 owners have experienced the problem. So I guess we are the only two 2002 owners with this probelem. I don't believe that. Ford is not stepping up on this issue. What to do next? is the big question. I plan on calling customer service one more time on this latest failure. Good luck with yours
Jim Rockwell NC

Charlotte, NC

#14 Feb 6, 2009
I have experienced the same coil problem with my 2002 Ford TBird #2 plug. I thought it was bad gas but the service manager at our local Ford dealer advised me that the 2002 and up models were bad to have coil failure. Only 29000 miles on the vehicle when the coil failed. I have always drived Fords, but my next vehicle will probably anothe Honda, I have one now with 16400k and no coil failure.
sue c

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 Jun 26, 2009
I, too,have a 2002 and just replaced my fourth coil. I was told by a rep of the Maroone dealer in Ft. Lauderdale that Ford has some type of monetary help with this problem for the '03 and '04 models due to a design problem, but not the '02...seems like we have the same design problem!! I am ready to check into this, ESPECIALLY since this cost me much more than the amount I saw posted by someone else.
SylviaNV

Las Vegas, NV

#16 Jul 1, 2009
I have a 2004 t-bird that has a major issue with overheating. It started last summer and after several trips to Ford, the problem still exist. Infact I cant drive a mile before the car overheats and shuts down. I spent $4000 just 5 weeks ago to insure i would no longer have a problem. Well, last week it started again and I took it back. Ford now claims its the cooling fan hitting the radiator and nothing to do with what had been done. I can fix it for another $945.00. Im pissed. Anybody else having this problem?
Laurie

United States

#17 Aug 4, 2009
Henry wrote:
I have a 2002 T-Bird also and have replace 3 coils and another has just failed. In speaking with Ford they say the reason they are covering the 2003 for 100K miles is that not many 2002 owners have experienced the problem. So I guess we are the only two 2002 owners with this probelem. I don't believe that. Ford is not stepping up on this issue. What to do next? is the big question. I plan on calling customer service one more time on this latest failure. Good luck with yours
We have the same problem with a 2002 Ford Thunderbird. Every time we get a coil wire replaced it starts skipping again the same day. We have had several replaced and paid $300.00 plus for each repair. The dealership has been unable to keep the problem from happening over and over again. Never had problems like this with any other car we have owned. They were NOT Fords.
Laurie

United States

#18 Aug 4, 2009
We have had several coil wires replaced and the car will start skipping again the same day when you go up a hill or punch the gas pedal. We have been charged $300.00 plus for each replacement at the dealership and private mechanic and the problem continues to occur immediately. No one seems to know anything about why it keeps happening. We have never had a Ford before so I guess that is the problem. There needs to be a recall for this continuous problem. How many coils are there?
Doug Chaney

Victorville, CA

#19 Aug 6, 2009
My 2002 Tbird is having the same troubles. Since Ford is not covering I would like to fix it myself if it is not too complex. I saw new coils on Ebay for $26 and it looked simple TO CONNECT them but that does not mean it is simple to GET TO THEM, that is what I want to find out .. I could just start wrenching but you can hardly see anything with how much clutter under this hood! Anyone here done it their selves? I have done repairs on various cars that were so simple and cheap and yet I see online people having paid hundreds even thousands for things not hard at all! Often aftermarket parts can be at a fraction of OEM and often they are fine, maybe even better in some instances!
brittanyblake

United States

#20 Aug 9, 2009
Doug Chaney wrote:
My 2002 Tbird is having the same troubles. Since Ford is not covering I would like to fix it myself if it is not too complex. I saw new coils on Ebay for $26 and it looked simple TO CONNECT them but that does not mean it is simple to GET TO THEM, that is what I want to find out .. I could just start wrenching but you can hardly see anything with how much clutter under this hood! Anyone here done it their selves? I have done repairs on various cars that were so simple and cheap and yet I see online people having paid hundreds even thousands for things not hard at all! Often aftermarket parts can be at a fraction of OEM and often they are fine, maybe even better in some instances!
I am having the same problems with my 2002. Yesterday another coil went out. This will be my 3rd replacement in 4 months. I'm going to attempt to change my own out today. The guy at the auto part store said it wouldn't be too difficult and a new coil would only be around $50. I'll let you know how it goes!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Thunderbird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Conway Twitty 1956 Thunderbird (Jan '12) Feb 4 Allen11 2
1997 Ford Thunderbird (Oct '08) Nov '17 Iceman1 17
Thunderbird Hardtop Queston (May '08) Oct '17 Sal 3
How to get 300 horsepower (Jul '17) Jul '17 lyonj22 1
spark plug replacement 3.8 V-6 (Jul '17) Jul '17 PaulW 1
2002 T-Bird (Jan '14) Jul '17 Sal 5
95 thuderbid windshield wiper problem (Jul '07) Jun '17 Jamed 2
More from around the web