Where is/How do you replace PVC valve...

Where is/How do you replace PVC valve on 2002 Duratech

Posted in the Ford Taurus Forum


Great Falls, VA

#1 Feb 27, 2011
Have a 2002 Duratech. Found a small hose going from in front of the MAF to a 90 degree elbow on the engine but not what looks like a PCV valve. Looks more like a fresh air intake. Hose is only about 3/8 inch in diameter and the 90 degree elbow to the engine is about 1/2 inch. The PCV valve supposedly goes into an oil seperator rectangular box. Can't find it. Bought the Autozone PCV valve which is about 2 inches long and 3/4 inch thick and needs a 90 degree twist to remove and install it.
On another post someone said thet 2000+ Duratechs had non-replacable valves. Is mine non replacable? if not WHERE THE HECK IS IT?
I am stymied!

Clinton, SC

#2 Mar 27, 2011
1. Disconnect battery cables (negative first).
2. Disconnect MAF Sensor connector.
3. Remove air filter.
4. Disconnect hoses (3) going to air intake.
5. Remove air intake.
6. Remove throttle cover (2 Christmas tree pins).
7. Remove both 8 mm bolts securing throttle bracket to throttle body.
8. Remove throttle spring.
9. Unhook electrical wire bundle from throttle body stud.
10. Remove Emission Separator ā€œLā€ from throttle body.
11. Remove Emission Separator tube from PCV Valve.
12. Remove PCV Valve, using a 7/8ā€ deep socket and a 12ā€ extension bar, by rotating it 180 degrees counter-clockwise.
13. Install new PCV Valve (Motorcraft EV-243), by rotating it 180 degrees clockwise to fully seat it, after coating O-ring with clean engine oil.
14. Attach new Emission Separator (Motorcraft KCV-116) and button everything up.

Clinton, SC

#3 Mar 27, 2011

Parkers Prairie, MN

#4 Aug 29, 2012
Charlie, GREAT CLOSE-UP PICTURE!! Is this the actual PCV Valve that your red arrow is pointing to? You said to use only the Motorcraft or Autozone units--must be right because it looks nothing like the Fram one that the parts house sold me. However, I have noted that it is very brittle plastic & haven't been able to get it out as yet, that's why I'm attempting to verify that it is the actual unit in your picture. Your picture looks identical to what I see on my Taurus. Thanks for your input.

Arlington, TX

#5 Oct 13, 2012
Charlie ur photo looks like the oil pressure sending unit , the PVC valve on the v6 is on the rear valve cover on the pass side.

Douglas, AZ

#6 Jan 17, 2013
Charlie's photo is the correct view pertaining to the 24 valve DOHC engine. The PVC valve is buried in the engine valley and it is a "bear" to get to. It is indeed replaceable. It is not necessary to remove the upper and lower intakes, however while replacing plugs or injectors would be an opportune time to automatically replace the PVC due to the difficulty to get to it. Mine is a 2000 Taurus and I don't know how many years this same picture applies to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Taurus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No heat, blowers work, feels like it's stuck wi... (Aug '07) 18 hr ben austin 111
1999 Taurus dies while driving (Sep '11) Feb 1 jjj 2
How to disable Factory installed anti-theft (Sep '09) Feb 1 meagan 15
Speedometer not working (Feb '07) Jan 22 DeMarcos 41
Power Door locks problem (Mar '06) Jan 20 Kwaidman 46
Removing or uninstalling a tentative System Jan 14 Joshua Adam Thomas 1
Unexplained electrical problem with son's 1999 ... (Sep '06) Jan 12 Kellyautomotive 278
More from around the web