2000 taurus transmission
Brgbldr

United States

#82 Jun 11, 2010
I can't believe the hypocrisy and ignorance of all of these posts! My '04 Taurus just did the same exact thing as 99% of these other posts. Driving at freeway speeds, it just stoped going forward (or reverse), with no warning. I am NOT however whining about a recall. I looked long and hard at Toyotas and Hondas etc. before buying this and chose it (like all of you did) because it was way more car for way less money than the imports. I've owned Toyotas and although no major mechanical issues, had a zillion expensive little things go out before 100k and the cars were not cheap by any means, nor were the parts and repairs. My trans was quoted at $1500. I certainly don't want to spend the money, but shame on me if i ignorantly bought it used for less than half of an equivalent Toyota and wasn't diligent enough to sock away some money for repairs. We need to quit blaming others and expecting bailouts, factory recalls, and in general relief from stupidity. I've owned four of these personally and bought numerous for my company. I currently own two and would not hesitate to buy another simply because i recognize the value for the $.
wolfpack4life

De Forest, WI

#83 Jun 12, 2010
i had the same problem with my 2000 taurus just driving it then wham the engine revs up and nut come on ford fix the problem whatever happened to built ford tough this car was my dads before he passed away and i inherited it and it has a lot of sentimental value to but i aint fixin it for the price they want to fix it i should just send th bill to ford motor company
wolfpack4life

De Forest, WI

#84 Jun 12, 2010
i had the same problem with my 2000 taurus just driving it then wham the engine revs up and nothing come on ford fix the problem whatever happened to built ford tough this car was my dads before he passed away and i inherited it and it has a lot of sentimental value to but i aint fixin it for the price they want to fix it i should just send th bill to ford motor company
Loved 2000 Ford Taurus

Gwynn Oak, MD

#85 Jun 24, 2010
dan wrote:
I have a 2000 24v 3.0L taurus. I have never had any problems with the car and it has 184,000 miles. If everyone would perform scheduled maintenance for their cars a lot of these posts would be positive. Take care of your cars and quit complaining.....
I do my regular maintenance and in fact just changed the transmission fluid less than $1000 miles a go for the 2nd time in a car with only 65,000 miles on it. Less than 1000 miles later I was 7 hours from home in the middle of nowhere when the transmission fluid poured out of the front end seal. This has nothing to do with maintenance and more to do wth a shotty product. Pu more transmission fluid in it to check tranny and it works fine. Still will buy Ford's as I plan on replacing the seal myself for $15 and running the SOB until she dies. I can only hope to get another 100K out of it. I am sue lots of people here got screwd by transmission shops when it actually was something else.
James

Kingston, PA

#86 Jun 29, 2010
2000 ford taurus not even 90 thousand mile on it and the transmisson linkage cable broke I'm 43 years old and worked on cars sence I was 10 and I have never seen a transmission line go before ford is just getting to be junk I guess. I'm looking for an older car in the 70's to trade this piece of crap for and also the starter went out at 79 thousand mile what a piece of crap this car is. Bought car because it ran on gas or athenal. I,m going back to an 8 cylinder truck going green is just a waiste of time and money I will go back to destoring the world before I get anouther car made before 1980. Please write me if anyone else has these problems at [email protected]
Eric

United States

#87 Jul 13, 2010
My 2000 Mercury Sable Just did the same thing. I took it to the Ford Dealership and it was the torque converter. The change out is setting me back $1400 for parts and labor. I'm replacing it with a new one, didn't want to go used after seeing there has been many problems with this part. My Sable has 200k on it. Ya'll must drive crazy to blow it at 40k..lol
maggie

Maurice, IA

#88 Jul 28, 2010
same transmission story for us- we will have almost $4,000. more in the car then its value - if we fix it -Just glad we weren't on the interstate also!
coe houston texas

Houston, TX

#89 Aug 28, 2010
i have a ford taurus 2000 model with a 2003 tranny n it just found that out yesterday wen i got a speend sensor,the car was shiftn lite on the highway b4 i replace the vss it was working fine,b then hour later i was at a red light when i tried too pull off car didnt move n reverse or drive, push car to the side of the road cut it off and back on car started back shifting, soon as i pull on my block car start not shifting again, cut it off and on then pulled home. like 2 months ago went to autozone and the obm computer said shift solonoid do u think thats the problem or the tourque cluch on the tranny, do i need to ge a new tranny or what ugh i hate fords!!???????
shawn

Walnut Creek, CA

#91 Sep 10, 2010
shanda wrote:
I have a 00 taurus. I have just finished putting a lot of work into. While driving home the other afternoon the car just quit going...won't go anywhere in any gear. I had no indication of transmission problems before. Is it possible that the bolt in the torque could have come loose or do I need to bite the bullet on this car?
What is the answer
LIZ

United States

#92 Sep 16, 2010
I am a single mom on a limited income. i have an 02 taurus and am very saddened by the repairs needed. i was taking my son to school and in my pj,s the car just stop moving. the only gear i have is park. the tranny fluid is all backed up on the dipstick and the only thing i have to look forward to is that the color is still red. it is more than likely the pump or torq converter.this is still costing me money i did not want to spend. i take good car of my car,regular maintenance and it just hit 90,000 miles. i think ford needs to recall these trannies and give all of us a break. ps. i close on my new home in 10 days so it is impossible for me to buy a new car as i cant run my credit. ford screwed me big time. i am paying for a rental and have to swallow the repair casts. grrrr
Mike

Chicago, IL

#93 Sep 23, 2010
2003 ford Taurus 148k - cruise set at 75 mph and tach pegs out. Coast off the highway and find that I have no forward or reverse. Transmission shop claims that as long as it was shifting fine prior to this point it will only need a pump and torque converter. $800 out the door.
Mike

Chicago, IL

#94 Sep 23, 2010
dan wrote:
I have a 2000 24v 3.0L taurus. I have never had any problems with the car and it has 184,000 miles. If everyone would perform scheduled maintenance for their cars a lot of these posts would be positive. Take care of your cars and quit complaining.....
The 24 valve Duratech has a diffenent transmission in it. Regular maintenance is not the problem.
LIZ

United States

#95 Sep 27, 2010
@ Mike... I have always performed regular maintenance on my car. This is an issue that should fall on the hands of Ford.. I just paid $2,266.93 to have new torq and pump put into my car. $1,305 in labor. This is not including my rental car charges for the 8 days it took for them to get my parts and fix the car. The biggest beef is that these cars are giving no indication what so ever as to a problem with the transmission. My car ran like a dream and thankfully still does..
brian

Rochester, NH

#96 Oct 16, 2010
shanda wrote:
I have a 00 taurus. I have just finished putting a lot of work into. While driving home the other afternoon the car just quit going...won't go anywhere in any gear. I had no indication of transmission problems before. Is it possible that the bolt in the torque could have come loose or do I need to bite the bullet on this car?
Hi Shanda
I have 99 ford taurus 85000 miles same problem. I guess with the Taurus more than 50% of the time it is one of the following 3 problems.
1/ Torque converter
2/ Pump
3/ Splines stripped on shaft
Average cost for this repair is 800 to900 dollars
More than this they call it a rebuild and that costs 1800 dollars plus.Be careful with these transmission shops they have a habit of only doing the repair and calling it a rebuild.I feel your pain I am in the same boat hope this helps
Dan

United States

#97 Oct 27, 2010
I have 1997 Taurus that would stop after engine warms up; Engines runs but no forward or reverse gears. But after turning engine off and wait to cool then restart everything is back to normal until engine warms up. Unfortunately we have two Taurus and the other one would bog down when put on the gas and then would go. I think this one is going to have another transmission problem
Tammy

AOL

#98 Nov 2, 2010
always liked my 01 ford taurus but had the same trans problem driving and all of the sudden just stopped going don't know about found on road dead (ford) but do know that driver returned on foot!(dorf)
cynthia helms

Dothan, AL

#99 Nov 12, 2010
similar problem to Eric Bridgton in Harris, ME. HAD SCREEN CHANGED BUT NO CHANGE. I WOULD CHECK MY FLUID PROPERLY BUT IT REGISTERED NO FLUID. WHEN CHECKED IN PARK, IT SHOWS THAT I HAD FLUID.
cynthia helms

Dothan, AL

#100 Nov 12, 2010
While I am at the stop sign, the trans slip. When I take off it is fine till after a few seconds, then it won't pull. 2000 ford taurus. First thing was, I had to put the car in neutral to start it. Then, the other things started.
Ed W

Howell, MI

#101 Nov 19, 2010
Have a 2000 Sable wagon. Had the transmission replaced under warrantte at 25000 miles now with 100000 miles on it (75000 on trans) the trans will blow the fluid out the front seal after being driven on the highway. Quote to rebuild is about $2000 or a new Torque converter is $900. Car has been OK otherwise except for the brilliant door handle designs and locks but I am wondering if we are just spending more on a recurring problem. Unfortunately a used car for the same amount will be very questionable. Thoughts?
Kurt

Lake Hiawatha, NJ

#102 Nov 19, 2010
Darren wrote:
I was driving my 2000 taurus the other day when just like you the car just quite going. I took it to a shop to see what was wrong with it. he said there was no pressure running through it so it was either the transmission pump or the torque converter. but he said that with any vehicle with over a 100,000 miles on it is is good to just go ahead and rebuild the transmission. Is this true
When to rebuild is not a definate thing. It depends on how often you change fluid. Hot driving is harder on fluid but cold stop and go driving can cause wear on any moving parts that don't lubricate well until the fluid warms a bit. If you tow you should have a cooler and change your fluid more often. Shift improver kits can also help but would involve programing in many cases. Much of your labor will be for removal and installation so if you can afford it you should at least put a master seal kit in the transmission so that you can inspect the condition and correct issues before a major failure occurs. It's not cost effective to have to pull a transmission twice but I also understand it's a pretty good investment so you need so decide if the car is worth it or not (as well as if your pocket book agrees).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Taurus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Surveillance photos released in home invasion case Jul 23 check it out 1
2012 ford taurus limited Jul 23 Bettinabrat12 1
'03 Taurus Shuts off and Starts Itself while dr... (Dec '07) Jul '17 Fon 21
Power Door locks problem (Mar '06) Jul '17 Linda 52
Ford Taurus 1997 3.0L efi V6 Coolant leak (Dec '06) Jun '17 Chris 68
Hauted? Jun '17 Emanuel 1
No heat, blowers work, feels like it's stuck wi... (Aug '07) Jun '17 ford5150 118
More from around the web