2000 taurus transmission
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
shanda

Lawton, OK

#1 Apr 24, 2006
I have a 00 taurus. I have just finished putting a lot of work into. While driving home the other afternoon the car just quit going...won't go anywhere in any gear. I had no indication of transmission problems before. Is it possible that the bolt in the torque could have come loose or do I need to bite the bullet on this car?
Mike

United States

#2 Nov 16, 2006
Did you find out what was wrong with your car? That just happened to me and I have no idea what went wrong. I don't want to take it to the shop and they say needs new tranny if it doesn't. Would appreciate reply.
Scott

Eagar, AZ

#3 Jan 1, 2007
my 93 with 108k on it have just done the same thing any idear what was/is wrong with yours?
Melody

Bentonville, AR

#4 Feb 12, 2007
Mine is a 1998 Ford Taurus....Same problem. The tranny just quit. It's sitting in the shop right now as I await to hear of the demise of my car. I'm hoping NOT to hear the worst: That my tranny is shot. Any hope?
this is unreal

Lawton, OK

#5 Feb 15, 2007
Mike wrote:
Did you find out what was wrong with your car? That just happened to me and I have no idea what went wrong. I don't want to take it to the shop and they say needs new tranny if it doesn't. Would appreciate reply.

sorry it took so long for me to check this...actually just found out last week it was the torque converter....before anyone replaces the expensive tranny check and see if the fluid is still red....if so...it isn't the whole thing.

Since: Mar 07

Kentucky

#6 Mar 16, 2007
I just got mine back from the shop with the same problem, I was in the fast lane on I-65 doing about 75-80 and I looked down to see the tachometer was on 6k!! Wouldn't move in any gear. My wife's uncle (manages the shop) told me that the torque con. cracked and there was alot of pieces of metal in the tranny. Had to rebuild mine, he said the trannies usually go out at 60-80k miles, but I dunno
Darren

Jacksonville, NC

#7 Mar 22, 2007
I was driving my 2000 taurus the other day when just like you the car just quite going. I took it to a shop to see what was wrong with it. he said there was no pressure running through it so it was either the transmission pump or the torque converter. but he said that with any vehicle with over a 100,000 miles on it is is good to just go ahead and rebuild the transmission. Is this true
TimeForARecall

Alpharetta, GA

#8 Mar 29, 2007
I have a 2000 Mercury Sable (exact same car as a Ford Taurus) and it had the same problem two days ago. I pulled up to a red light and when it turned green my car wouldn't go anywhere! When it was towed to a transmission repair shop the mechanic told me that in the past 2 weeks he had two Ford Tauruses come in with the EXACT same problem. They are having to rebuild my entire transmission for $2k (did I mention that my car only has less than 40,000 miles on it?). Sounds like Ford is using shoddy parts and I think it's time for a recall!!
ford taurus sucks

Miami, FL

#9 Mar 29, 2007
2 weeks after 1 got my 01 taurus with only 45,000 miles just finish doin a oil change when they return da car to me i crank it on and it didnt go no where
NoWarning

AOL

#10 Apr 9, 2007
I was looking on the boards hoping to find a magic reset switch or something. I was driving down the highway and my car just quit going. Still running, just not moving. So odd, it never slipped or anything, just quit. I'm sorry to hear it almost sounds common with these crappy cars...mine is a 2002, not even 100,000 yet.
connecticut

Tulsa, OK

#11 Apr 20, 2007
i have a 2000 ford taurus this same problem happen to me at a pull up atm . the problem was that the shifter cable from the steering wheel to the tranny just snapped in half i think that this might be a recall issue for FORD but to all the other buyers out there in ford land why don't you check yours out before you rush to get a new tranny it only cost me $150 with labor to get the car running the next day.
Fordguy

Sherwood, AR

#12 Aug 1, 2007
My girlfriend had a ford Taurus 2000 model. It also showed no signs of transmission failure when out of nowhere it just wouldn't pull in reverse or drive. This seems to be a common problem and I think Ford is ignoring the issue. I haven't been able to find anything on what is actually causing the problem internally. Ohh yeah she was also quoted a couple thousand dollars to rebuild it, which I wouldn't recommend unless they use aftermarket parts and not the crappy oem parts that caused the problem to begin with.
lbblum

Middleboro, MA

#13 Sep 1, 2007
I have a 2000 24V DOHC Sable as well... pushing 137,000 Miles. Having some stalling issues only when car is at normal operating temp. No problems when cold except I had noticed a hesitation when putting the car into reverse (sometimes)...Ignored that problem. Ford Mechanics are seeing no codes detected! Runs like a champ until warm on restarts! So, I replaced a coil...no change...put in a new fuel pump assembly....seemed better but something is still not right! Sometimes when warm, if you push the gas its like pushing air! NOTHING! Once you get going its fine! No stalling; sputtering; hesitation;; nothing! I think I may hear a valve clanking...not sure though. If you put the car in reverse and nail it...seems to drag and lose power and acts like it wants to stall! Is this a tranny problem causing stalling on restarts??? Or a torque converter problem? Please help! I can't keep guessing and spending money on this!
Eric Bridgton Maine

Poland, ME

#14 Sep 5, 2007
Transmission problem with my 2000 Ford Taurus, with only 45,000 miles.

After pulling away from a stop sign, the engine reved slightly and the car had no drive. Pulling slowly off the road to find transmission has no reverse or forward. Car was towed to dealer, who says there is extensive transmission damage, quote to replace +/-$2,700!

My daughter is just beginning to drive and I thought the Taurus would be a good car for her. Now I am not sure what to do. Even if I go ahead with the work, can I trust that car will not give out on her in the future? Car value is not much more than the cost to repair?

Years ago, our 1995 Ford Taurus blew a engine head gasket. That was still under warranty (or recall?) but I believe cost was about $3,000.

As a building contractor, I have always tried to purchase American products, but, now I can honestly say I will strongly consider buying a Toyota or Honda car for my daughter.

Maybe my next truck too!
lbblum

Dayton, OH

#15 Sep 9, 2007
SAD TO SAY...BUT I AGREE WITH YOU BECAUSE I ONCE OWNED 2 TOYOTA'S AND THEY WERE WONDERFUL! NO PROBLEMS AND HELD THEIR VALUE BETTER. WHY CAN'T AMERICAN AUTO MAKERS GET IT TOGETHER! C'MON... SOMEBODY ISN'T DOING THEIR HOMEWORK FOR THE AMOUNT OF MONEY THEY ARE PAID! I WOULD MUCH RATHER BUY FROM GENUINE AMERICAN BUILT AUTO'S BUT CANNOT AFFORD THESE PROBLEMS. WHAT A SHAME.
NotAlone

Lufkin, TX

#16 Sep 12, 2007
I was driving home going 80 when out of no where my 2000 ford taurASS lost all power! Not to mention there was NO signs of anything wrong with the stupid car! I believe Ford needs to step up and take some responsibility on this tranny issue, it just seems that there is too much of the same issue going on. Oh Yeah, I was looking on Fords sight and the new Taurus 08' starts at 24,000.00..Just thought that might make a few people giggle!!
James

United States

#17 Sep 20, 2007
When Taurus first came out I started hearing of problems with it. I guess they still have not worked
out all the defects. Maybe they need to quit making them all together?
I bought one for only $2000, and it was a steal of a deal! But I get some surging in parking lots but thats it.Hopefully I won't need to get it totally rebuilt.
mike

Marshalltown, IA

#18 Sep 21, 2007
i was driving my 1999 taurus the other day and it stop moving and when i went to look for the problem today i started it and put it into gear and it started rolling (that is not a good sign at all) it did it in every gear but park! i looked at my manual and it could be this cable from the tranny to the shifter but i dont know ! does anyone have any response before i go and take it to a shop for $to much money!!? mike
Ray

Topeka, KS

#19 Sep 27, 2007
My Ford 2000 Taurus SE with 83,000 miles, without warning at one of the major intersections in town in 5:00pm traffic would not go forward or reverse. Had to have a car push me through the intersection to get to a curb I could pull along side. I had to have it towed. Transmission completely shot and will cost $2700. I will never buy another Ford and will write a letter to Ford Motors.
Bill

Brooklyn, NY

#20 Oct 3, 2007
Same problem. I have a 200 Ford Taurus SE and shifter cable just snapped while parked. Engine was not running.
Plus, the part is not easy to come by.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Taurus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2002 Taurus electrical (?) problem ... (Jul '07) Jun 21 dad 8
1996 Ford Taurus (Nov '06) Jun 15 Djb 21
97 Ford Taurus Steering Problem (Nov '06) Jun 6 Gina 29
Access Radiator Cap May '15 J Wilson 1
Ford Taurus Cooling System Flush (Jul '06) May '15 J Wilson 87
Unexplained electrical problem with son's 1999 ... (Sep '06) May '15 JENNIFER 276
1996 Taurus, Keyless Entry and Flasher Module (Mar '07) May '15 margaret 8
More from around the web