2003 Taurus Lower Ball Joint

Posted in the Ford Taurus Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tim

Allentown, PA

#1 Oct 22, 2006
are there any trick to replacing the lower ball joint on a 2003 SEL? it seems straight forward. i have a tool to do it so i dont think it should be too bad. ive never done it though so any heads up would be great. thanks
steve

Woodbridge, NJ

#2 Oct 31, 2006
It has to be pressed out. OTC makes a tool that adapts a standard ball joint press to be usable. You will have to remove the spindle (pull the half-axle out) to gain access. Then yes, it is "simple".
steve

Woodbridge, NJ

#3 Oct 31, 2006
PS-
The OTC part number is: OTC 8032. It sells for about $60 If you have a ball joint C press you can use this adapter.
I had said in the last post that you will have to remove the spindle...not true. But it will be easier if you do. And almost impossible to remove the ball joint with "standard" BJ press kit rings and plates unless you remove the spindle. that's what i meant.
You say you "have a tool to do so", so I assume you mean a ball joint press. It is very tight in this Ford. The Ford spindle that you are pressing it out of is aluminum, so I would suggest you use this adapter to press it "just right".
Debbie

United States

#4 Dec 12, 2006
I was just told today that my left front lower ball joint needs to be replaced. My Taurus is a 2002 with 50,000 miles. Is this reasonable? Why would only one ball joint wear out? It seems like each of the front lowers would go out. I didn't have them replace it yet. Wanted to check around first. Thanks for any info you might have.
steve

Woodbridge, NJ

#5 Dec 20, 2006
I had the tie rod ends (which are like smaller ball joints) go out on a 1999 taurus at 33,000 miles. They (and your ball joints) are sealed units - they can't be greased. If the seal breaks, water gets in, the joint goes bad. On the Sable I mentioned, the seal did NOT break and the joints - both - were squeaking on turns. After I replaced them i opened them (broke the seal) there was almost no grease inside. Like that from the factory.
So yes, you could have a bad ball joint. AND chances are the other one might be bad too. OR, neither is bad....my suggestion - take it to someplace else and get a second opinion. If two places tell you the ball joint is bad - it is. Ask them if the seal is ripped. If so, that's why it is bad. If not, then expect the other one to go out soon too (most likely).
PS - replacing Taurus ball joints is a big (expensive)job. just be forwarned.
Dale

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Sep 18, 2007
TECKPAK makes a great tool for removing the ball joints in the Taurus. The part number is "TFD-BJR"
and they can put you in touch with a supplier in your area. Call them at 1-800-527-2544
Chris

Laconia, NH

#7 Oct 13, 2007
The local dealer informed me that my 2002 Taurus with 50,000 miles also needed both lower ball joints. The quote was $380.00. As I could buy the parts for around $100 I would like to do it myself. My question is can the job be done without a press, i.e. using a flor jack? Someone mentioned the lower control arm was cast alluminum, is this true. Just wondering what my options were. Thanks for any intel.
nelson

Kingston, PA

#8 May 14, 2008
how do i replace a balljoint on a 99 ford taurus s.e lower balljoint
John

Baltimore, MD

#9 Feb 23, 2009
Hi, I need to get the lower ball joint on my 2000 Ford Taurus replaced. The mechanic said that after a ball joint was replaced that the alignment on the car to be performed as well. Is that true?
Believe231

Ocean View, DE

#10 Feb 26, 2009
John wrote:
Hi, I need to get the lower ball joint on my 2000 Ford Taurus replaced. The mechanic said that after a ball joint was replaced that the alignment on the car to be performed as well. Is that true?
It would be good practice to do so, especially if the spindle was removed, as the strut would be loosened and would be off where it was set at. When I replaced the bj's on my sister's '99 Taurus, the bj's were $44 each and I removed both knuckles and had a local shop press the old ones out & the new ones pressed in for $37. So, overall the cost was around $225 total w/ the cost to align it.
jason

Gwinn, MI

#11 Aug 20, 2009
i have a 2002 taurus does that tekpac remove and press the new balljoints in ?
Rodo

Burlingame, CA

#12 Mar 1, 2010
Dale wrote:
TECKPAK makes a great tool for removing the ball joints in the Taurus. The part number is "TFD-BJR"
and they can put you in touch with a supplier in your area. Call them at 1-800-527-2544
The tool looks nice but is expensive, I called a distributor in Hayward and they want $210 for it, I probably won't keep my car enough time to replace enough joints to justify the purchase
brett

Waterloo, Canada

#13 Apr 1, 2010
Does the strut come out of the spindle pretty easy? I am going to replace the struts at the same time as ball joints.
oscarmel

United States

#14 Feb 5, 2011
Believe231 wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be good practice to do so, especially if the spindle was removed, as the strut would be loosened and would be off where it was set at. When I replaced the bj's on my sister's '99 Taurus, the bj's were $44 each and I removed both knuckles and had a local shop press the old ones out & the new ones pressed in for $37. So, overall the cost was around $225 total w/ the cost to align it.
WOW!$225, I just bought two Ball joints at $15 a piece, two sway bar links for $17 each, two sway bar bushings for $15 each, and renting a tool from autozon, you should really look around for these parts because all these went out at the same time on my 99.
oscarmel

United States

#15 Feb 5, 2011
WOW!$225, I just bought two Ball joints at $15 a piece, two sway bar links for $17 each, two sway bar bushings for $15 each, and renting a tool from autozon, you should really look around for these parts because all these went out at the same time on my 99.
David

Pickerington, OH

#16 Mar 5, 2011
I am repairing the ball joints on my 2000 Ford Taurus, and I am having trouble putting the new ball joint (already installed into knuckle) into the LCA. I've got the strut fully in the knuckle, and the half-axle in the hub, but I can only push the knuckle back so far, even when I have more free space to do so, and yes, I have had someone push the LCA down by using a lever wedged between the fork in the LCA and the chassis, so I'm all out of ideas. Coudl there possibly be something wrong with the half axle?
jim

Raleigh, NC

#17 Apr 11, 2011
you need to put jack under the frame that holds the engine and transmission in place. loosen the bolts that hold the frame to
the body of the car a few turns.

this will let you put the ball joint stud back into the lower
control arm.

regards,

Jim
David wrote:
I am repairing the ball joints on my 2000 Ford Taurus, and I am having trouble putting the new ball joint (already installed into knuckle) into the LCA. I've got the strut fully in the knuckle, and the half-axle in the hub, but I can only push the knuckle back so far, even when I have more free space to do so, and yes, I have had someone push the LCA down by using a lever wedged between the fork in the LCA and the chassis, so I'm all out of ideas. Coudl there possibly be something wrong with the half axle?
jim

Raleigh, NC

#18 Apr 11, 2011
if you plan on keeping the car, try to spend a bit more for the parts. you always get what you pay for.

my new Moog ball joints K8687 $45 on amazon.com and free shipping.
they also have the sway bar link (sway to strut) and tie rods.

I have the OTC ball joint tool and the taurus accessory kit,
makes removal and installation a snap, no more driving to the machine shop, waiting and loosing time when you can do it yourself.

do soak the ball joints up the night before with liquid wrench, pb blaster, etc you favorite solvent and you're on easy street.

regards

jim
oscarmel wrote:
<quoted text> WOW!$225, I just bought two Ball joints at $15 a piece, two sway bar links for $17 each, two sway bar bushings for $15 each, and renting a tool from autozon, you should really look around for these parts because all these went out at the same time on my 99.
jim

Raleigh, NC

#19 Apr 11, 2011
take a look at the Taurus Car Club site,
no cost to sign up and free to read.

Lots of videos and answers to your Taurus questions.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/

regards,

Jim
Sara

Greenville, NC

#20 Jul 12, 2011
I was told today that my 2002 taurus sel could not pass inspection because my lower ball joints need to be replaced. The estimate that they gave me was $450-$500 for parts and labor. Is this reasonable????
Im going to look into a second opinion sometime soon but need some advice since I dont really know anything about cars and I feel like some people take advantage of that fact and could potentially rip me off.
Any advice would be helpful!
Thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Taurus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2013 Ford Taurus 3.5L and 3.7Ti-VCT Feb 16 RosalindaG93 1
2000 Taurus LX DOHC Feb 3 Neil Henry 1
Ford Taurus 1997 3.0L efi V6 Coolant leak (Dec '06) Jan 24 Mike 72
How to disable Factory installed anti-theft (Sep '09) Jan '18 Ashley 22
Unexplained electrical problem with son's 1999 ... (Sep '06) Jan '18 Elizabeth 285
Automatic transmission (Apr '06) Dec '17 Paul 33
2006 Ford Taurus, 3.0 Liter V-6 Duratec Dec '17 Magturbo 1
More from around the web