2001 Ranger won't turn over, even wit...

2001 Ranger won't turn over, even with jumper cables

Posted in the Ford Ranger Forum

Brian

Quincy, IL

#1 Jan 6, 2010
Just get a click with the key. With cables connected I can't even get a spark with the negative jumper on the engine block, but the lights in the cab are on as bright as can be.
vlad

Boise, ID

#2 Jan 6, 2010
Brian, the battery clamp could have rusted. You see, there is two wires at each clamp. The bigger ones go to starter, and that contact must be really, REALLY good. Try battery terminal cleaner, or better clamp if you had to kludge the old one. Car electronics don't draw much current and run of separate cable. But starter draws more than 100A of current and it takes 0.12ohm of contact resistance to drop 12 volts all the way to zero at 100A.
The other possibility is that battery got internal short. That may explain that jumper cable doesn't help. Try to disconnect you battery and start the truck with external only. Once again, make sure that the contact is really good and jumper cable is in good condition.
There is always possibility of rusted terminal at the starter, or even starter gone bad (they do go bad once in a while, although ranger starters are pretty good and the problem is with rusty terminals most of the time).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Ranger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2002 ranger misfire rough idle (Jul '07) Thu Jeffrey9618 221
ac problem Jul 25 will smith 1
98 Ford Ranger A/C Problems (Jun '09) Jul 25 will smith 75
air conditioner/heater problems 1997 ranger 2w... (Jul '10) Jul 23 steven savage 20
replaced slave cylinder and master cylinder on ... (Sep '08) Jul 22 Slick 46
Loss of power when going up hill (Jul '10) Jul 17 Phillips 10
Check Engine light flashing- Loss of power (Jan '09) Jul 15 Heath wogan 132
More from around the web