Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

Stephen wrote:
I have a 1997 Ford Ranger Xlt, I lost the key to it and was just not turning the switch all the way back. Then someone did, so I have been using a screwdriver to start it. I have already broke a few teeth off but there is one left. What is the name of the part that I should be looking for to get this tuck back to where I can start it with a key? Someone told me to get a whole new steering column but I looked at them and I didn't think that would fix it.

Ignition Cylinder Lock.
Daltini

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

david wrote:
Help when i turn the key nothing happens the battery is fine and sometimes i can hear the starter clicking but nothing, so how do i take out an ignition on a 1994 ford ranger??????? Or could there be another problem i'm not thinking of?
Could be a bad starter or solenoid.
ryan

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2012

I have a 94 ranger and when I turn the key it doesn't start and there's no click. It needed a starter which I have put in. Checked both solenoids, both OK. Didn't know if the eec relay would do anything, I tried that, still didn't work. So basically its down to the ignition switch I guess, right? Where is it located on this model? A coworker said it might be the ignition module, but I would think it'd at least click right? Thanks!
michael

Dothan, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2012

I have a 2006 ford ranger 3.0 eng. wont start checked fuses relays but i can cross the starter will spin over but wont start just spins is there somethin that will cause the starter not to engage as wellas not fire up
Alex

Sorrento, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

I think your engine may be flooded with water check your plugs to make sure there is no water in them and your throttle body may be flooded as well. You should probably take to a mechanic to have it drained water and fire don't mix so that's why it won't run
josh wrote:
drove into water the truck cut off and will not crank, will not turn over,
Jerry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2012

I just bought a 1997 ranger 4 cyl with plugs on both side of the head and it will not start cant get it to fire any ideas what my problem might b
Sean SPD

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

I have a 94 ford ranger 2.3L

The ignition starts the truck then continues to attempt to restart (starter keeps turning) no matter what i do intill i disconnect the battery cable.

Have tried solenoid by battery and the starter on the engine, neither fixed the problem.

I was told could be my key lock ignition or the ignition switch that the key lock igntiion goes into??

HELP PLEASE!
RONALD

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2012

WHERE IS THE IGNITION COIL ON A 96 RANGER
RONALD

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2012

Jon wrote:
check your ignition coil
where is the ignition coil on 96 ranger if u know please tell
james

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2012

i have a 1989 ford ranger that quit running on my way home. i checked the gas and its getting gas but not firing from the coil fire is going to coil but not coming from coil i replaced the coil but its still doing the same thing no fire is coming from coil what could it be please help me
Dianne

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2012

I HAVE A 96 2.3 AND THE COMPUTER WILL NOT READ C20 CADILLAC CONVERTER REPLACED COMPUTER WITH A NEW ONE AND IT STILL DOES THE SAME THING TRUCK RUNS GREAT BUT CANT GET TI TO PASS SMOG ANDY IDEAS
Jsalinas

Broomfield, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

94 ranger, turn the truck on and it sounds like the starter does not click off. I turn the truck off and the truck is still running. Now it won't start, thinking the starter burnt out. Help!
Missy94

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2012

I have a 1994 ford ranger. Been having trouble starting it. Last week replaced the ignition cylinder and it seemed to start for a few days but now it's back to not starting. It will eventually start but takes quite a few try's to turn it over. Any ideas?
David

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

86 ranger won't fire have replaced coil, ignition module ,distributor all relays and computer what else could it be
john

Troy, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2012

So my 94 ranger 3.0 stalled going up a hill tonight. After a few attempts of trying to start it, i opened up the hood and the ignition coil and plug wire were on fire. Any ideas what may have caused this?
Tim

Sumrall, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2012

Have a 99 ranger 2.5L truck shut off while going driving. Now the engine will turn but want fire. Put a set of coils on is still doing the same. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Bob in Pok

Poughkeepsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

Tim wrote:
Have a 99 ranger 2.5L truck shut off while going driving. Now the engine will turn but want fire. Put a set of coils on is still doing the same. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I have a 1994 and II had the same problem it was an ignition relay .
Steve

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2012

david wrote:
Help when i turn the key nothing happens the battery is fine and sometimes i can hear the starter clicking but nothing, so how do i take out an ignition on a 1994 ford ranger??????? Or could there be another problem i'm not thinking of?
this is the starter solenoid. I know this is old post, but for future reference.
Dan in Nevada

Carson City, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

joey wrote:
i have a 1989 ford ranger 2.9 lit the truck starts and runs fine. Only when it runs for about 10 mins the trucks stalls. But if i wait 2 or 5 min the truck will start again and do the same thing over.
What do u think the problem could be ?
THANKS
Did you ever figure this out? It's happening to me every day. Please reply to my email offroaddlw@sbcglobal.net i'm going crazy trying to figure this out. Dan
Bob in Pok

Poughkeepsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Dan in Nevada wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you ever figure this out? It's happening to me every day. Please reply to my email offroaddlw@sbcglobal.net i'm going crazy trying to figure this out. Dan
I had the same problem , it was an ignition relay in a fusebox looking compartment under the hood . There are more than one that look the same. One is for the ignition. I switched them around and the truck started , so I replaced the one for the ignition and the problem went away !

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

11 Users are viewing the Ford Ranger Forum right now

Search the Ford Ranger Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
2000 ranger misfire/stumble at idle no codes (Nov '09) 2 hr Ron 27
99 ford ranger won"t start (Apr '07) 2 hr Ron 151
98 Ford Ranger XLT Passenger Bucket Seat Back L... (Jan '10) Jul 19 Tank 3
Fuel pump problem solved - ethanol in gas to blame (Sep '08) Jul 19 RoadRanger 10
98 Ford Ranger A/C Problems (Jun '09) Jul 14 Formosa 58
2002 Ranger 4x4 Automatic Transmission problem (Mar '07) Jul 10 Josh 83
Truck Bed Imbalance Jul 6 Mike Patrick 1
•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••