Ford takes $250 million Government loan to boost exports

Aug 5, 2010 Full story: content.usatoday.com 21

Ford will receive a $250 million loan guarantee from the U.S. Export-Import Bank to sell 200,000 U.S.-made vehicles in Canada and Mexico, part of the Obama administration's drive to boost new hiring amid a lingering recession.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#1 Aug 5, 2010
Interesting-

Since: Apr 07

ridgefarm Il

#2 Aug 5, 2010
Anything that brings jobs to the US I am for.

Dallas, TX.

#3 Aug 5, 2010
Yes, I agree Ė anything that helps this countryís GDP, an American company, and results in getting foreign countries to drive our cars, is a good thing.
Truckin

Greensboro, NC

#4 Aug 5, 2010
(1) Buy parts from foreign countries
(2) Ship them to assemble plant in the U.S.
(3) Assemble car using foreign parts
(4) Ship car back to foreign country that made parts
(5) Sell car in foreign country

Dallas, TX.

#5 Aug 5, 2010
Truckin wrote:
(2) Ship them to assemble plant in the U.S.
I would like you (for once) to provide a link that supports your claim.

Dallas, TX.

#6 Aug 5, 2010
Back on topic -

Add this $250,000,000.00 loan on top of the $5,600,000,000.00 they've already secured from the government, and the false "Ford is better because they don't take government handouts" argument looks even more ridiculous.
Sniper73

Moncton, Canada

#7 Aug 5, 2010
The Canadian province of Ontario govt gave Ford $250 mill some yrs ago for plant upgrades here.

Dallas, TX.

#8 Aug 5, 2010
Sniper73 wrote:
The Canadian province of Ontario govt gave Ford $250 mill some yrs ago for plant upgrades here.
On another thread you posted a cheap shot about operations in Mexico. Why did you not post threads about all of the money being plowed into the USA? You should try to balance out your stories.
Sniper73

Moncton, Canada

#9 Aug 5, 2010
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>On another thread you posted a cheap shot about operations in Mexico. Why did you not post threads about all of the money being plowed into the USA? You should try to balance out your stories.
My post about Ford receiving a boost of $250 mill here some yrs ago is just saying that Ford has received money just like GM or Chrysler, it just isn't called "bail out" money.

As for GM's announcement on new investment in Mexico, don't you think most Americans would be a little annoyed over this? Afterall the bailout money and to create more work in Mexico? Why not re-open one the plants they closed down in the US?

No offense, if anyone needs balance in their posts, you're the champ on this forum. Read through a majority of your posts and it's all about Toyota "junk" or Jap "junk"
Truckin

Greensboro, NC

#10 Aug 5, 2010
JJ - rest assured that people post links to my information, not vice versa. I am considered a reference. You know I am the authority on things automotive.

Let me say it again:

(2) Ship them to assembly plant in the U.S.

Dallas, TX.

#11 Aug 5, 2010
Truckin wrote:
JJ - rest assured that people post links to my information, not vice versa. I am considered a reference. You know I am the authority on things automotive.
Let me say it again:
(2) Ship them to assembly plant in the U.S.
No link?
Truckin

Greencastle, PA

#12 Aug 5, 2010

Dallas, TX.

#13 Aug 5, 2010
cute

Dallas, TX.

#14 Aug 5, 2010
Sniper73 wrote:
<quoted text>
My post about Ford receiving a boost of $250 mill here some yrs ago is just saying that Ford has received money just like GM or Chrysler, it just isn't called "bail out" money.
As for GM's announcement on new investment in Mexico, don't you think most Americans would be a little annoyed over this? Afterall the bailout money and to create more work in Mexico? Why not re-open one the plants they closed down in the US?
No offense, if anyone needs balance in their posts, you're the champ on this forum. Read through a majority of your posts and it's all about Toyota "junk" or Jap "junk"
I did not ask you about Fordís loan guarantee. I asked why you failed to mention all of the money thatís being plowed into US operations.

You continue to ask the question about Mexican operations. My answer is no, most Americans donít give a schit because most Americans donít care. We spent money to save our manufacturing base and much of that money went to protect the retirement of workers.

We spend more every year on subsidies to Agribusiness (Cargill, ConAgra, and Archer Daniels Midland). Nobody squawks. Thatís every year. We spend money on our own homegrown manufacturing and some are picking up arms. Itís ridiculous. By the way, Japan has funded their manufacturing (especially their auto manufacturing) since its inception, and yet the comments balancing out that fact is moot.

I donít like Toyota, hence the anti Toyota threads. I think they are a terrible organization that has full guns drawn and have waged economic warfare on this country for years.

I hope this more than answers your question. We are awaiting your answer.
Why do you fail to mention the massive investments in the US?

Dallas, TX.

#15 Aug 5, 2010
no link
Sniper73

Moncton, Canada

#16 Aug 6, 2010
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>I did not ask you about Fordís loan guarantee. I asked why you failed to mention all of the money thatís being plowed into US operations.
You continue to ask the question about Mexican operations. My answer is no, most Americans donít give a schit because most Americans donít care. We spent money to save our manufacturing base and much of that money went to protect the retirement of workers.
We spend more every year on subsidies to Agribusiness (Cargill, ConAgra, and Archer Daniels Midland). Nobody squawks. Thatís every year. We spend money on our own homegrown manufacturing and some are picking up arms. Itís ridiculous. By the way, Japan has funded their manufacturing (especially their auto manufacturing) since its inception, and yet the comments balancing out that fact is moot.
I donít like Toyota, hence the anti Toyota threads. I think they are a terrible organization that has full guns drawn and have waged economic warfare on this country for years.
I hope this more than answers your question. We are awaiting your answer.
Why do you fail to mention the massive investments in the US?
My honest opinion....the money Ford took up here some years ago was for plant upgrades. A loan to help with a company getting some new technology is not such a bad use of tax dollars when it helps our industries stay on the forefront of better technology and kepp/create jobs. I don't mean that for only the auto industry, it could be any industry. Better if tax dollars are used, and used wisely, to help ourselves tham writing a foreign aid check to some 3rd world corrupted hole.

Howvere, in the case of GM and Chrysler, 2 companies that have been in trouble before and the situation so bad before the bailouts, I believe that bankruptcy restructuring would have been a better choice. People needed to be taught that if you run a company so badly, don't expect the govt to bail you out.

I understand your feelings about Toyota. But most Americans I talked to from time to time get really uptight even with the slightest govt involvement. I get your point about the Jap govt helping it's industries so why not the US? You hear it all the time in trade disputes, one country is subsidizing their industry, keeping prices down, and the other country is not..

Don't know if that makes sense, it's early and I have had no coffee...lol
Truckin

Greensboro, NC

#17 Aug 6, 2010
Ford is highly leveraged by private lenders.

Dallas, TX.

#18 Aug 6, 2010
Sniper73 wrote:
<quoted text>
My honest opinion....the money Ford took up here some years ago was for plant upgrades. A loan to help with a company getting some new technology is not such a bad use of tax dollars when it helps our industries stay on the forefront of better technology and kepp/create jobs. I don't mean that for only the auto industry, it could be any industry. Better if tax dollars are used, and used wisely, to help ourselves tham writing a foreign aid check to some 3rd world corrupted hole.
Howvere, in the case of GM and Chrysler, 2 companies that have been in trouble before and the situation so bad before the bailouts, I believe that bankruptcy restructuring would have been a better choice. People needed to be taught that if you run a company so badly, don't expect the govt to bail you out.
I understand your feelings about Toyota. But most Americans I talked to from time to time get really uptight even with the slightest govt involvement. I get your point about the Jap govt helping it's industries so why not the US? You hear it all the time in trade disputes, one country is subsidizing their industry, keeping prices down, and the other country is not..
Don't know if that makes sense, it's early and I have had no coffee...lol
Excellent post - thank you.
Truckin

Greencastle, PA

#19 Aug 6, 2010
Let's just hope Ford is able to keep up with its interest payments. The private loans were not cheap, and come at a very high interest rate.

If Ford is in default, sales numbers will be the last thing on the banks' mind.

Dallas, TX.

#20 Aug 6, 2010
Fordís main issue is its aging platforms.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Navigator Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ASK THE AUTO DOCTOR: Steering wheel lock-up has... (Jul '08) Dec '12 liner 16
Ford Cars and Trucks Inlcuded in Recall (Mar '08) May '10 Skabbie 3
Ford forcing shutdown of Fern Valley plant for ... (Nov '08) Nov '08 joe 1
Auto Design Flaw Becomes Costly Mistake (Sep '07) Feb '08 Ford Spark Plug R... 3
Ford Sale Drop Dramatically, Down 19 Percent (Aug '07) Aug '07 Bill 1

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••

Ford Navigator People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••