2002 Ford Focus
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cathy

AOL

#1 Jul 17, 2006
I have 87k on my 2002 Focus. I am told by the local Ford dealer that Ford recommends the timing belt be replaced at 60k. I have never heard anything so ridiculous. Has anyone heard of problems with the timing belt in the focus's? My service manual does not mention replacing the timing belt at 60k so I question the Service dept's advice. The car starts every time but even after a tune-up is sluggish.
eric

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#2 Jul 23, 2006
If its a rubber timing belt,it could be at 60k or as much as 90k.My wifes crv is 90k.

they figure like warrenty on tires,if the majoirity of tires last 45k than the warrenty is 40k,and the fact you have 87k and it was supposed to be done at 60k? makes me wonder also.Either they are tring to pull a fast one on you or youve been lucky it hasnt gone!!!

check out ford website or call ford 800 mumber or check around at repair shops you trust.......good luck to you ( im going to buy a focus next spring,and my son gets mu civic,that he loves so much and im not sure hes getting a better deal.)
NWY

Oshawa, Canada

#3 Aug 7, 2006
I have emailed FORD customer service to ask same question. The answer suprised me. They emailed back and said that the period to replace timing belt was 200k. Is that true?
NWY

Oshawa, Canada

#4 Aug 7, 2006
[I had emailed ford customer service to ask the question. The answer suprised me. They emailed back that the period to replace timing beld ob my 2002 FOCUS SE was 20k. Is it true?
tim greene

Colorado Springs, CO

#5 Sep 1, 2006
Dont be fools, sell the beater before then..duh
Jesus

Deltona, FL

#6 Oct 27, 2006
Cathy wrote:
I have 87k on my 2002 Focus. I am told by the local Ford dealer that Ford recommends the timing belt be replaced at 60k. I have never heard anything so ridiculous. Has anyone heard of problems with the timing belt in the focus's? My service manual does not mention replacing the timing belt at 60k so I question the Service dept's advice. The car starts every time but even after a tune-up is sluggish.
the timing belt is do at 120k miles by the Ford company
Jesus

Deltona, FL

#7 Oct 27, 2006
The timing belt is do at 120k miles is in the manual of the car.
Sam

AOL

#8 Nov 21, 2006
NWY wrote:
I have emailed FORD customer service to ask same question. The answer suprised me. They emailed back and said that the period to replace timing belt was 200k. Is that true?

Hey i juct checked on the net and they say that on a focus, the timing belt can go up to 120 000 miles( about 195000 kms)
Ross

Tacoma, WA

#9 Jan 11, 2007
2.0 liter engine code 3(8th digit in vin) will do engine damage if belt jumps, so change before you need to!
KC in NC

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jun 8, 2007
I have 137k on the original timing belt and Clutch!! on my 02 2.0L
I realize I am on borrowed time. Looking to replace it soon!
RN Tex

AOL

#11 Aug 3, 2007
I replaced mine today, at 142 K.
Pretty Streight forward, and not too difficult.
However, The Water Pump,is driven by the timing belt, and shoud be replaced, or atleast inspected during this procedure.
NC in Edmonton AB

Sherwood Park, Canada

#12 May 20, 2009
I was also told by a Ford dealership to replace my timing belt (87,000 km) My regular mechanic confirmed via the Ford website that it recommends 120,000 miles (200k km) I couldn't access that myself online & haven't bothered to phone the.... well you know. I want to add that the dealership charged my $150 to check out the reason for my engine light coming on & did absolutely nothing. My reg. mechanic changed 1 spark plug & problem solved.
Carl

Lowell, MA

#13 Aug 9, 2009
I have 2002 Ford Focus. I have a problem with
the A frame on both sides being rotted out. The way
I found out was when I was changing the rotors.
Everything was rust out badly. The depth of the rot is about 1/4 inch. The brakes were very hard to
because everything was rotted. I think this car is going to be condemed. I wonder if Ford has gurantee for this problem? The car has only 40K on it.
Poul

Ashburn, VA

#14 Aug 31, 2009
Cathy wrote:
I changed my timing belt (on ford focus 2002 zx5) at 144k miles.. and did it becouse the water pump started to leak.. but still the timing belt was not too bad..
Anyway it is better to check the belt and you may can run few more thousans miles..
brett

United States

#15 Nov 27, 2009
no a ford over head no matter what can go til whenever but its is every 60k thats just ford for you the 2.0 and focus motors are bad bout timeing belts
Carl

Lowell, MA

#16 Nov 27, 2009
On my focus the A frames on both sides are rusted.
When I went to change the brake pads, there was rust everywhere. The brake job took forever because of the
rust. I cleaned up the rust on the Spindle which houses the caliper and rotor. I put on rust inhibitor
to stop the rust in the future
becca

Covina, CA

#17 Feb 8, 2010
hello, When i first got my gord focus i walked out of the dealer with 2002 used car. As soon as i got home stared having problems with engine had it for a couple of days, i decided to take it back. I decided to go with a 2002 new focus, it cost me too much money and still is. I had problems with this car all the time i replaced everything you can imagine. Its a piece of!@#$$ sorry...but i had it, you think that FORD would improve the focus forget it....maybe i should support japan...lol
brad a focus owner

Calgary, Canada

#18 Feb 13, 2010
becca wrote:
hello, When i first got my gord focus i walked out of the dealer with 2002 used car. As soon as i got home stared having problems with engine had it for a couple of days, i decided to take it back. I decided to go with a 2002 new focus, it cost me too much money and still is. I had problems with this car all the time i replaced everything you can imagine. Its a piece of!@#$$ sorry...but i had it, you think that FORD would improve the focus forget it....maybe i should support japan...lol
i also have a ford focus i think all new cars are a peice of crap there is just to much junk on them i should have bought a really old car to fix them is simple and you dont need a damm putor
Randy

United States

#19 Aug 19, 2010
Just changed the infamous thermostat housing on my '02 Focus. Immediately after the water pump starts leaking. Good old fuse 63 keeps blowing. The car is junk. I will NEVER buy another Ford.
regina

Chesterfield, MO

#20 Oct 8, 2010
how to put a 2002 ford focus in time it has a 2.0 enginee

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Focus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
focus zx3 stalls (Jun '07) Jun 1 James 76
Engine management fuse (Jul '10) May '16 Jadkins 4
Ford Focus fan/heater blower not working May '16 James201125 1
2003 Ford Focus dash lights go out (Jan '07) May '16 maddog 51
2012 low battery message in on position Apr '16 Northernlite 1
2002 Ford Focus radio signal problem (Nov '07) Apr '16 WCS_UK 67
Heater blower stuck in 4 and can't be switched off Mar '16 azucar_26 3
More from around the web