2000 Ford Focus *Thermal Fuse For Hea...
Kevin Herman

Memphis, TN

#84 Jun 4, 2007
Hi there,

I was googling "focus fan problem" and found your post. I am having the EXACT same problem down the fan only working in the four position. I was wondering if you were able to solve the problem?

Sincerely

Kevin Herman
trando wrote:
I have a 2000 Ford Focus. A while back, my blower motor stopped working. Rather than just replacing the blower, I attempted to fix it by replacing the brushes in the blower motor. At first it worked great. Then I noticed that the blower stopped working when the switch was turned to the 1 position. Then it stopped working in positions 1 and 2. now, the A/C only works when the blower switch is at 1, 2, or 3, and the blower only works when the switch is turned to 4. So the only way I get cool air is when I go down the road at 70 mph with the window cracked open a bit and the switch turned to 1, 2, or 3. I replaced the blower switch thinking this might be the problem, but it still does the same thing. I noticed that when I took the A/C console apart, to replace the blower switch, all of the bulbs inside were burned out. I have traced the wires from the switches and can't find any shorts, breaks or burns. I didnít hook them to any meter though, so I canít be certain that a short doesnít exist. I was told that probably the blower motor fan speed resistors had blown, and I should replace them.
Anyone else had similar issues?
Jeff A

Hinesville, GA

#85 Jun 4, 2007
Like many of you, I have a 2000 Focus. Blower does not work on any switch setting and A/C switch does not light up (recirc switch works)when pressed. I replaced the resistor (thermal switch block), 20A fuse is OK and I grounded the blower to verify it runs. Any ideas before I try the blower switch?
Hermonator

Saint Louis, MO

#86 Jun 20, 2007
I have the exact same a/c problem (below)! Can someone please tell me what was done to fix it?!?

Thank you very much!
Rich Herman
[email protected]
Kelly wrote:
I have a 2000 Focus. The A/C worked fine but now it won't come on- not even the fan comes on. I have read elsewhere that it could be the blower motor switch. i just looked at it and disconnected it and it doesn't look fried or messed up. The air recycler switch comes on and the rear defrost works but the a/c button does not light up. What could this be?
Tryduck

Chambersburg, PA

#87 Jun 23, 2007
trixie_ Harrisburg_ Pa wrote:
My 2002 Ford Focus heater blower will run for about 3 minutes and then slowly die out. Turn off for a few minutes and back on and the same thing happens. Could this be the thermal resistor and if so, where is it located.
No, this is caused by a over heating Blower motor , replace it.
Tryduck

Chambersburg, PA

#88 Jun 23, 2007
Jeff A wrote:
Like many of you, I have a 2000 Focus. Blower does not work on any switch setting and A/C switch does not light up (recirc switch works)when pressed. I replaced the resistor (thermal switch block), 20A fuse is OK and I grounded the blower to verify it runs. Any ideas before I try the blower switch?
Check Blower switch with Multimeter before changing but more and likely it is a power problem , meaning because it not working on any setting speed means it is not getting power peroid ! if a fuse was blown then the blower would only work on high , is it is a resistor then it will work only on the lower 3 speed settings , or thats how it is made to work .I think either you have a RELay problem or The Blower Switch , when you choose a blower setting speed it send power to the resistor then a relay and then to the Motor.
Tryduck

Chambersburg, PA

#89 Jun 23, 2007
Allen wrote:
JUST BOUGHT A 2000 FORD FOCUS FROM A BUUDY. THE ELECTRICAL POWER DISTRIBUTION BOX UNDER THE HOOD HAD SHORT AND MELTED THE FUSE TO THE BOX. THE FUSE AFFECTED THE IGNITION AND THE CAR WILL NOT TURN OVER. IT ALSO BURNED THE DIAGRAM ON THE BOX COVER. THE NUMBER IN THE BOX IS 98AG-14A076-CC. THE D1 AND F64 FUSES AND FUSE SLOTS ARE MELTED AND I NEED TO KNOW THE FUSE RATING FOR BOTH. I DON'T HAVE AN OWNERS MANUAL. IF ANYONE CAN HELP PLEASE LET ME KNOW, THANKS.
F64 is a 30 amp Defrost Fuse and D1 is a Engine Diode like the one sitting to the right of it , D1 is not a fuse
Tryduck

Chambersburg, PA

#90 Jun 23, 2007
JGB wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to take the windshield wipers completely off and the panels will lift right off
You need not take off the Wipers to get your cabin filter in and out unless you need a large amount of space to work with .:), The Factory doesnt put these filters in so you will have to take the black plastic cover off and toss it , it is not used when a filter is used
Tryduck

Chambersburg, PA

#91 Jun 23, 2007
dave wrote:
can anyone through some light on my clutch problem.i have a 04 focus 1.6 petrol and 3 or 4 times a week i come to a junction and engage the clutch to stop at the junction but the car keeps on going so i have to stall the car,then i restart the car and the clutch works fine,other times i start the car engage the clutch but it wont let me put it in gear,like the clutch is not engaged,i turn the car off and re-start then it works fine
Air has entered the Hydr, Clutch System . You have to "pump" up the pedal when this happens , push pedal several times and it will release and let you stop in gear or put it in gear , problem is it will get worse. I would look for fluid loss , if you have to fill up the then it could mean you are about to either replace a Master Cyl or Slave Cyl. The Cheapest would be the Master Clutch Cyl which is what you pour the clutch fluid into , the other(Slave Cyl) is inside the Bellhousing in the Tranny , Which you would come out better going ahead and replacing the Clutch,Pressure plate and Pilot bearing alone with the Slave Cyl.Meaning you have to split transmission from engine.The slave Cyl will be slide over the transmission shaft.
Joan

United States

#92 Jun 27, 2007
I have a 2000 Focus and suddenly the radio/clock and red blinking light all stopped working. Checked the fuses and all are good (light when tested). Any ideas?
Daniel

Canada

#93 Jun 27, 2007
Fred : I have the exact same problem. Your descrription is identical to the problem I have with my Ford Focus 2000 - Have you found a solution?
Fred wrote:
Well, it would seem we are in the same boat. My fan works on #4, but nothing else. I have noticed the air conditioning light works on speeds 1,2&3 where the fan does not work, but on speed 4 where the fan does work, the AC light will not come on. Any help would be appreciated.
Richard Dormer uk

Newcastle, UK

#94 Jul 11, 2007
I have just bought a 53 plate (2003) ford focus and like the rest of you i have lost heater on 1,2&3 but still works on 4 at the moment but keeps blowing my wig off.I have taken it back to the garge and they say the heater resister has blown and I will need a new one (£73.50 inc labour) does anyone know where I may get one a bit cheaper and fit it myself.

Thanks for any help
robert

Chico, CA

#95 Jul 16, 2007
I have replaced my thermal resistor, and my fan still doesn't work. I have bought a new switch, but I am having a hard time getting to it in order to replace it. any suggetsions???

Since: Jul 07

New Boston

#96 Jul 16, 2007
Just bought a 2002 Ford Focus (used). AC/Heater fan only works on setting 4...not 1-2-3. AC compressor will only work on settings 1-2-3...NOT 4. I have read about a "Resistor" and a "Pollen Filter". I assume the resistor is found behind the glove box. Where is the "Pollen Filter"? How does the filter cause the resistor to go bad? And finally, I thought I liked this car - seemed pretty good. Is this a sign of problems to come or just an isolated problem?

Since: Jul 07

New Boston

#97 Jul 18, 2007
jfederer wrote:
Just bought a 2002 Ford Focus (used). AC/Heater fan only works on setting 4...not 1-2-3. AC compressor will only work on settings 1-2-3...NOT 4. I have read about a "Resistor" and a "Pollen Filter". I assume the resistor is found behind the glove box. Where is the "Pollen Filter"? How does the filter cause the resistor to go bad? And finally, I thought I liked this car - seemed pretty good. Is this a sign of problems to come or just an isolated problem?
OK...I fixed the problem by replaceing the resistor unit (Ford part number 3M5Z18591BA for my 2002 Focus). An easy job to replace. However, on my 2002 in order to get the black shield that is between the hood and the windshield off (You only need to remove the Passenger side), you need to remove the small black round plug on the left side (looking at the car from the front) of the shield that is on the Drivers side. Once removed you will see a phillips screw that will need to be removed. Once removed, lift that corner of the shield to remove the Passenger side shield. You will not have to remove the entire Drivers side shield - just lift up on that one corner. I did this to remove the "Pollen Filter" which, it turns out, my car didn't even have.

This car only has 25K on it. I'm disappointed I had this problem this early in the car's life. However, all in all it's a good vehicle - fun to drive, looks good, averages a little over 30mpg.
Frank

Portland, OR

#98 Jul 26, 2007
I have a 2000 Ford Focus and the heater blower stopped working. I followed the advice given here - bought a new thermal fuse switch at the Ford dealer ($17.00) and installed it.

It did not fix the problem. The heater blower still does not work.

Any other suggestions? All fuses look ok.
John

Fenton, MI

#99 Jul 27, 2007
If the blower motor switch (blower speed switch on dash labeled 0 1 2 3 4) doesn't work or isn't getting power, then the whole AC system won't come on.

Check fuses and replace as needed. If that doesn't fix the issue, the do the following:

1) Remove radio with special tools or homemade coat hangar tools.
2) Pull funky shaped dash panel off of dashboard (the one containing the switch in question.
3) Disconnect harness from blower switch.
4) Put switch in position 1.
5) Measure resistance (with ohmmeter or multimeter) between switch pins 6 and 2.
6) If resistance is low (less than 5 ohms or so) then the problem is either:
a) Power is not getting to the switch.
b) Blower motor resistors are bad
c) Other (harness burned or connector problem)

DISCLAIMER: I think I have a bad switch also. I have yet to follow the above procedure, but obviously am researching it. My switch positions 1 and 2 do not work, but 3 and 4 work. When in position 3 and 4, if I pull the knob of the switch outward (towards rear of car), the blower and compressor stop operating and the AC button light goes out, but the recirc button light stays on if I was in recirc mode.
Kelly wrote:
I have a 2000 Focus. The A/C worked fine but now it won't come on- not even the fan comes on. I have read elsewhere that it could be the blower motor switch. i just looked at it and disconnected it and it doesn't look fried or messed up. The air recycler switch comes on and the rear defrost works but the a/c button does not light up. What could this be?
John not_in_Hamburg

Fenton, MI

#100 Jul 27, 2007
If you have the radio with the removable button strip that act as a theft deterrant, this device bends with age and will one day fail to make electrical contact as it should. Remove it and reseat it or press on it to try to get it to reconnect.
Joan wrote:
I have a 2000 Focus and suddenly the radio/clock and red blinking light all stopped working. Checked the fuses and all are good (light when tested). Any ideas?
John not_in_Hamburg

Fenton, MI

#101 Jul 27, 2007
Clarification:
The relay mentioned is the AC clutch relay. The blower switch on the dash feeds power directly to the blower motor resistors. The blower operates regardless of the relay condition unless there is harness or connector damage or some other unanticipated failure mode.
Tryduck wrote:
<quoted text>
Check Blower switch with Multimeter before changing but more and likely it is a power problem , meaning because it not working on any setting speed means it is not getting power peroid ! if a fuse was blown then the blower would only work on high , is it is a resistor then it will work only on the lower 3 speed settings , or thats how it is made to work .I think either you have a RELay problem or The Blower Switch , when you choose a blower setting speed it send power to the resistor then a relay and then to the Motor.
George

Montgomery, AL

#102 Jul 28, 2007
Carlos wrote:
Where is the filler valve for the a/c located on the 2000 focus?
Remove the passenger side headlight and it is below on the canister (sitting vertically) that's sitting in front of the wheel well splash guard. The valve is on the top right hand side. Remove the plastic screw and there you go.
ben

Westfield, IN

#103 Aug 1, 2007
Lindsey wrote:
In my 2000 Ford Focus my blower was only working on 1 and 3. Today for the first time it started to work on 4 again! I couldn't believe it and thought my luck was changing. I went into a store and came back out and when I turned on my car, the blower didn't work at all on any setting!!! What is the deal. It sounds like a lot of people are having the same problem, and if so, why isn't there a recall on it!?
on fy ford focus when the air conditioning stoped working - after same 1 2 3 4 situation i got the parts from the dealer and proceded to replace them myself - starting with the switch which fixed the 700 dealer problem for 15 after returning other parts - while looking at the switch noticed the casing had seperated and opened it when i realigned the contacts and reclosed the case (hearing a click) the switch felt diffrent as i turned it so i replaced it instead of the new one - the system still worked - the entire proplem was that the switch case had come loose and simply needed to be pressed together - this ended up taking me 2 days for 30 minutes work and a final cost of aproximatly 20 dollers - di9d not try to return switch - kept it for six months or so then tossed it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Focus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Spacers Nov 21 2014fse 1
2001 Ford Focus ZTS fuel flooding into number 2... Nov '17 Anonymous 2
03 Focus anti theft system Oct '17 Agerm 1
focus zx3 stalls (Jun '07) Sep '17 kim72 81
2002 Ford Focus radio problem (Jan '07) Sep '17 Static Radio 92
2008 ford focus heater/ac blower (Jun '13) Jul '17 Hot in Tx 3
Headache please help Jul '17 Brandontaber 3
More from around the web