2000 Ford Focus *Thermal Fuse For Hea...
Kim

Montrťal, Canada

#21 Jul 24, 2006
Like many other FOCUS owners, I have a problem with my heater blower only working at 4... the only thing is that while on 4, my heater blower + headlights will change intensity, my lights will go brighter for a few seconds and then get back as usual, so will my fan, it will blow stronger and then resume to blowing air normaly. Could it be due to the fact that in the final switch position the battery voltage goes straight across the motor, bypassing resistors and thermal fuse network???
Dave

Malibu, CA

#23 Aug 6, 2006
Have a 2000 Focus zx3. For the second time in 6yrs the remote key fuse blew. I replaced it after a back straining effort. Before puting the fuse rack back on its mount I tested the key and it worked perfectly. Proceeded to install the fuse rack under the dash and pat my self in the back for a job well done. Moved the car to another location on the driveway. Shut it down and initiated lockdown. No locking or unlocking function avaialble. My guess is that the fuse blew again. My question if anybody know is: If the spec fuse is 20amp will it be detrimental to the electrical system to use 25amp. Maybe the power was unrated for the load. 25amp will take up more tolerance.
Any suggestions or comments
Dave

Malibu, CA

#24 Aug 6, 2006
I forgot to mention, the dealer wanted to charge about $700 to fix the remote key access dilema. Before this last problem I took it to a private shop and got charged $60. Go figure. Correction on the previous comment. The word "unrated" S/B underrated.
rsc USA

Charlotte, NC

#25 Aug 14, 2006
my pop up button for the trunk latch isn't working on my 2003 focus zx3, i have been using the key to open the trunk and now the key won't open it? anyone have any ideas? thanks
Christina

United States

#26 Sep 11, 2006
I really f*ing hate this car.
I bought it used just about 2 years ago from a non-ford dealer.

Right off the bat my key fob wasn't programmed to the car and I got only 1 ignition key. I was lucky that the Ford people were nice enough not to charge me for the programming (but i still only have one key, at a quoted 130 bucks to get a copy)

Fairly early on, all the electric locks stopped working - that fuse is a bitch to replace but at least its a cheap repair.

If I have my trunk full or someone sitting in the back seat - there's this afwul griding noise when I turn left (I think its the wheel well liner rubbing against my tires)

About 2 months ago my A/C started doing the above mentioned things. We had it up to #4 because it was really hot, then once cooled off, turned it down to 3 and it died. For about a month it would only turn on at level 4, and then only barely.(plenty cold no pressure)

I'm at about 75000 miles. Just replaced the alternator (2 weeks ago), and now I need to replace the rack/pinion on the front end as I keep loosing powersteering fluid just behind the left tire, and you can't just buy replacement seals as far as I can tell.

I still owe about 2000 more than it's trade invalue is worth, but I think I'm ready to trade it out anyway - afraid to think of what's going to break next.
Hi trando

Groningen, Netherlands

#27 Sep 13, 2006
trando wrote:
I have a 2000 Ford Focus. A while back, my blower motor stopped working. Rather than just replacing the blower, I attempted to fix it by replacing the brushes in the blower motor. At first it worked great. Then I noticed that the blower stopped working when the switch was turned to the 1 position. Then it stopped working in positions 1 and 2. now, the A/C only works when the blower switch is at 1, 2, or 3, and the blower only works when the switch is turned to 4. So the only way I get cool air is when I go down the road at 70 mph with the window cracked open a bit and the switch turned to 1, 2, or 3. I replaced the blower switch thinking this might be the problem, but it still does the same thing. I noticed that when I took the A/C console apart, to replace the blower switch, all of the bulbs inside were burned out. I have traced the wires from the switches and can't find any shorts, breaks or burns. I didnít hook them to any meter though, so I canít be certain that a short doesnít exist. I was told that probably the blower motor fan speed resistors had blown, and I should replace them.
Anyone else had similar issues?
I have exactly the same problems as you described the fan is working only in position 4.
And the airco only works in position 1, 2 and 3.
Have you ever found out what your problem was ?
Otherwise I have to find out for myself.

Regards Peter (Netherlands)
Lindsey

United States

#28 Sep 15, 2006
In my 2000 Ford Focus my blower was only working on 1 and 3. Today for the first time it started to work on 4 again! I couldn't believe it and thought my luck was changing. I went into a store and came back out and when I turned on my car, the blower didn't work at all on any setting!!! What is the deal. It sounds like a lot of people are having the same problem, and if so, why isn't there a recall on it!?
Rusty

Windham, ME

#29 Sep 16, 2006
I have a 2000 Ford Focus, the heater will only work on high and no a/c. I did replace the blower resistor and the heater worked fine for about 2 weeks and then did the same thing again, I again replace the blower resistor and the heater switch yesterday and it worked fine for last night, and today again stopped work but on high, can someone help me on this.
Tone

India

#30 Sep 18, 2006
Can someone please tell me where the Blower Resistor is situated in a 2002 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec with air con. All i can see when the glove box is dropped down is the central fuse box.
The blowers only work on 4 so i assume the resistor is the problem. This is the second time this has happened but a dealer repaired it then. This time I want save some money by hopefully doing it myself
Jason

Springfield, VA

#31 Sep 20, 2006
Hello. It is indeed the blower resistor that is the problem. It cost me $17 at the local dealer. I was unable to find one at another parts store. It is located behind the glove box (removed 3 nut screws) and up against the firewall to the left of the blower. It is attached by 1 screw and a connector plug. I replaced this damn thing 2 weeks ago and now it has happened again! Hopefully we can get the car sold before it happens again! HEHE. Hope this helps.
Andre

London, Canada

#32 Oct 18, 2006
willster wrote:
2000 Ford Focus SE 4door. I have dashboard lights, but they go out when put into drive and don't come on again. Car is equipped with power door locks that don't work when remote is used, but remote will start car. Also, the interior button to pop-up the trunk is not working. I have to use the key. I have checked the fuses, and just read about fuse#68 or 63? located behind panel??? Does anyone have any answers. Driving at night with no interior lights is frustrating. Everything else is working fine...so far. Thanks, William.
just feed that circuit with an inline 20 amp fuse from a live source
marilyn

UK

#33 Oct 22, 2006
i have a 2003 2.0 focus and yesterday the heater and ac just stopped and when i press the buttons to turn them on nothing happens at all!! also it makes this weird buzzing noise even when the key is not in the ignition? any ideas?
Jason

Lakewood, OH

#34 Oct 23, 2006
We have 2 Ford Focus's. Yeah, I am an idiot.
One is 2000 and the other is 2001. They both have had the blower motor not work when the switch is on 1,2,3,4. Both worked on 1 or 4 for awhile.
I replaced the resistitor on both. The 2000 gets really hot and only turns on the blower for setting 1.
The 2001 still does not work (new resistor).
Is there something else I am missing here?
Piers Armstrong

London, UK

#35 Oct 28, 2006
Where, please, is the passenger compartment fuse box on the 2000 model of the Ford Focus Estate? The user manual says below the steering wheel by the brake pedal. I cannot see it. Any ideas
Piers Armstrong

London, UK

#36 Oct 29, 2006
dID YOU GET A SUCCESSFUL RESPONSE TO YOUR QUERY? sEEMS THAT YOU, LIKE ME, HAVE "LOST" A FUSE BOX
mayo1958

Decatur, GA

#37 Nov 1, 2006
how can i can the fuses out to change them for my AC fan Blower
Craig Williams

Ilford, UK

#38 Nov 24, 2006
Jason wrote:
Hello. It is indeed the blower resistor that is the problem. It cost me $17 at the local dealer. I was unable to find one at another parts store. It is located behind the glove box (removed 3 nut screws) and up against the firewall to the left of the blower. It is attached by 1 screw and a connector plug. I replaced this damn thing 2 weeks ago and now it has happened again! Hopefully we can get the car sold before it happens again! HEHE. Hope this helps.
After having this same problem, I spent quite a while searching not just how to fix it, but ALSO what causes it.
After a while, I found a Ford expert who stated that...

"..the problem is caused (99% of the time) by a blocked pollen filter. The air that passes through this filter, is what is used to cool the blower motor resistor. If this filter is even SLIGHTLY blocked, it will result in a burnt out or blow resistor pack. The end result will be only allowing you to use the highest blower setting. Changing or fixing the resistor pack WITHOUT changing the pollen filter, will give you a circle of problems".

Hope this helps.
jim

Canada

#39 Nov 26, 2006
I will begin stopping young children on the streets, warning them never to buy fords when they grow up. The quality that went into my 2000 focus before the name went on was defective too. 1, ignition lock,$388.00 2, air bag deployment (spring in the steering column)$289.00 , 3, fan blower a/c and heat (-14 today) service?$???.?? no doubt. Thanks Ford.... never again.
Steve

UK

#40 Nov 29, 2006
If your Heater Blower stops working, or only works on setting 4, or you have had water in the front passenger footwell then replace the Pollen Filter. It is under the panel below the windscreen wipers. It should be replace annually. Cost $17.00/£11.00.
Check the Heater fan Cost from Ford in the UK £200 approx or $300 US
The water from the windscreen goes through the pollen filter and into the centre of the heater fan and eventually causes it to breakdown.
Euan

UK

#41 Dec 6, 2006
Steve wrote:
If your Heater Blower stops working, or only works on setting 4, or you have had water in the front passenger footwell then replace the Pollen Filter. It is under the panel below the windscreen wipers. It should be replace annually. Cost $17.00/£11.00.
Check the Heater fan Cost from Ford in the UK £200 approx or $300 US
The water from the windscreen goes through the pollen filter and into the centre of the heater fan and eventually causes it to breakdown.
I had exactly the problem you descibe, water intermitently in the passenger footwell and then the heater fan packed up, will get the garage to replace the pollen filter when they have the car on Friday

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Focus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2008 ford focus heater/ac blower (Jun '13) Jul 18 Hot in Tx 3
Headache please help Jul '17 Brandontaber 3
2002 Ford Focus problem (Nov '06) Jul '17 London 511
03 focus se wire harness Jul '17 DestinB 1
2013 Ford Focus SE Hatchback Roof Rack Track Sy... (Oct '16) Jul '17 Debbie 2
2005 ford focus 2.0 wont start (Oct '13) Jun '17 KCampbell 3
Fan not working on 2002 se May '17 Buddy2959 1
More from around the web