2000 Ford Focus *Thermal Fuse For Hea...

2000 Ford Focus *Thermal Fuse For Heater Blower*

Posted in the Ford Focus Forum

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Edwin

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#1 Jan 13, 2006
Are there any other 'focus' owners experiencing this problem. If so, how did you deal with it??
My cars' heater stopped working suddenly after a very cold day in the north of ontario. i read in a forum that the thermal fuse might have corroded after experiencing either condensation or some form of moisture leaking in from a vent. I cant find this thermal fuse, i read that it may be attached right on the blower, of which i also cant access - or i would have to remove my radio/cassette player and by doing so - i would also need to reprogram it to work after removing it.. its all so complicated, i would appreciate some help with this matter. BTW, i already checked the other fuses, of which were all fine. i dont want to have to spend extra $$ in replacing the blower, blower motor, switches, if it isnt necessary - my ford dealer provided me with an estimate of C$230 to replace, the blower and for the labor. So unfair, if replacing the thermal fuse could work just as efficiently. HELP ME PLZ!!
stuart

Taunton, MA

#2 Jan 23, 2006
I think that acorns or something got in behind the filter (cabin filter access from the passenger side under the hood below the windshield) and cause this problem. Radio shack sells these thermal fuses if you can find it (the switch maybe where the thermal is located). But the manual (auto parts store) should tell you where to look.
Edwin wrote:
Are there any other 'focus' owners experiencing this problem. If so, how did you deal with it??
My cars' heater stopped working suddenly after a very cold day in the north of ontario. i read in a forum that the thermal fuse might have corroded after experiencing either condensation or some form of moisture leaking in from a vent. I cant find this thermal fuse, i read that it may be attached right on the blower, of which i also cant access - or i would have to remove my radio/cassette player and by doing so - i would also need to reprogram it to work after removing it.. its all so complicated, i would appreciate some help with this matter. BTW, i already checked the other fuses, of which were all fine. i dont want to have to spend extra $$ in replacing the blower, blower motor, switches, if it isnt necessary - my ford dealer provided me with an estimate of C$230 to replace, the blower and for the labor. So unfair, if replacing the thermal fuse could work just as efficiently. HELP ME PLZ!!
Jay

Silver Spring, MD

#3 Feb 1, 2006
I have had the thermal fuse replaced last summer.$12.95 US for the part. Total bill was $85. I was charged about an hour labor.
It just happened again last week. Time to find out where this thing is located.
mike

AOL

#4 Feb 6, 2006
Yep same here, I have a 2000 and after a cold day (Wisconsin)I went to turn the blower on and dial was stuck a bit...little force and it moved but no heat would blow out. I get a little(very lttle heat) when on the highway. Its seems to be one thing after another...the car locks on its own when cold, so dont warm up the car without a spare key!! And my overdrive for awhile was just turning on by itself....wtf!! If this happens to you i found that just holding the button down will stop it from happening while driving but it is a pain in the butt...after a while it stoppped. My check engine light is on again!! Let me know at [email protected] if you get this fixed, im going today to see what the deal is.
willster

Calgary, Canada

#5 May 10, 2006
2000 Ford Focus SE 4door. I have dashboard lights, but they go out when put into drive and don't come on again. Car is equipped with power door locks that don't work when remote is used, but remote will start car. Also, the interior button to pop-up the trunk is not working. I have to use the key. I have checked the fuses, and just read about fuse#68 or 63? located behind panel??? Does anyone have any answers. Driving at night with no interior lights is frustrating. Everything else is working fine...so far. Thanks, William.
EJUP

Somerville, MA

#6 May 19, 2006
I just did this and took me less than 1hr total (including travel time to Ford dealer).

Part costs $15.15. Blower resistor (Ford Focus 2000) is located just behind the glove compartment. Unscrew glove compartment and you'll see the resistor on the far left. One screw only!!!

Thank you all for this useful forum!
Jay wrote:
I have had the thermal fuse replaced last summer.$12.95 US for the part. Total bill was $85. I was charged about an hour labor.
It just happened again last week. Time to find out where this thing is located.
trando

Lubbock, TX

#7 May 26, 2006
I have a 2000 Ford Focus. A while back, my blower motor stopped working. Rather than just replacing the blower, I attempted to fix it by replacing the brushes in the blower motor. At first it worked great. Then I noticed that the blower stopped working when the switch was turned to the 1 position. Then it stopped working in positions 1 and 2. now, the A/C only works when the blower switch is at 1, 2, or 3, and the blower only works when the switch is turned to 4. So the only way I get cool air is when I go down the road at 70 mph with the window cracked open a bit and the switch turned to 1, 2, or 3. I replaced the blower switch thinking this might be the problem, but it still does the same thing. I noticed that when I took the A/C console apart, to replace the blower switch, all of the bulbs inside were burned out. I have traced the wires from the switches and can't find any shorts, breaks or burns. I didn’t hook them to any meter though, so I can’t be certain that a short doesn’t exist. I was told that probably the blower motor fan speed resistors had blown, and I should replace them.
Anyone else had similar issues?
bravery

Bunnlevel, NC

#8 May 27, 2006
My 2000 ford SE 4-door is a great car as far as pick-up and speed and it handles twists and turns very well. This is about all I can say good about the car. The heater and airconditioning both stopped working at the same time, the rear doors (latches) rotted out, therefor I must keep the doors from flying open by using some sort of ties. The latch button to open the trunk works only once and awhile so it's a hassle to have to use the key every time. The thermal plate under the car has become loose and this causes an awful rattle sound when at stop lights. Yes, I used the owners manual and went through every fuse. The fuse for the heater blower is in a spot so hard to reach and don't have the tools even if I could find the fuse. I found out that some of these problems are re-calls. That's good to know because the ford motor company must fix or replace these problems free of charge. However, three times I took the car into ford dealer and nothing was done to fix the problems. In a nut shell, I was patronized and shoved on the back burner. They had so many excusses for not being able to fix the car "at that time" and given "come back" appointments that only served to waste more of my time because still nothing got fixed. Eventually I blew my fuse and told those jerks just where to go! And the price quotes they gave me were so outragious! Now I just accept that I will drive this car as is and drive it till it dies. Ford motor company really sucks.
Steve Jones UK

UK

#9 Jun 2, 2006
I am just about to replace this fuse for the second time in 6 months. If you unsrew the glovebox the unit is accesable above by removing 1 screw. The motor speed is adjusted by a series of high power resistors that limit the power to the motor causing it to run at different speeds. These get hot and this blows the thermal fuse. When replacing it do NOT solder it for obvious reasons. Use crimp joints and keep a spare !!
trixie_ Harrisburg_ Pa

Bullhead City, AZ

#10 Jun 9, 2006
My 2002 Ford Focus heater blower will run for about 3 minutes and then slowly die out. Turn off for a few minutes and back on and the same thing happens. Could this be the thermal resistor and if so, where is it located.
Clive

UK

#11 Jun 20, 2006
hi,

my fan blower work on 1 and 4 only. Is this the fuse or resistirs? and how do i change them?

Also my A/C only worked on 1,2,3 not 4.......is this related?
larry

United States

#12 Jul 1, 2006
bravery wrote:
My 2000 ford SE 4-door is a great car as far as pick-up and speed and it handles twists and turns very well. This is about all I can say good about the car. The heater and airconditioning both stopped working at the same time, the rear doors (latches) rotted out, therefor I must keep the doors from flying open by using some sort of ties. The latch button to open the trunk works only once and awhile so it's a hassle to have to use the key every time. The thermal plate under the car has become loose and this causes an awful rattle sound when at stop lights. Yes, I used the owners manual and went through every fuse. The fuse for the heater blower is in a spot so hard to reach and don't have the tools even if I could find the fuse. I found out that some of these problems are re-calls. That's good to know because the ford motor company must fix or replace these problems free of charge. However, three times I took the car into ford dealer and nothing was done to fix the problems. In a nut shell, I was patronized and shoved on the back burner. They had so many excusses for not being able to fix the car "at that time" and given "come back" appointments that only served to waste more of my time because still nothing got fixed. Eventually I blew my fuse and told those jerks just where to go! And the price quotes they gave me were so outragious! Now I just accept that I will drive this car as is and drive it till it dies. Ford motor company really sucks.
yes sir,ford has treated me that same exact way,once you buy the car and drive off the lot,they forget about you!!! my focus has 60,137 miles on it,,[a 2000,at that]bougt brand new]and it is JUNK!!
larry

United States

#13 Jul 1, 2006
rearange the letters in "FOCUS",and what do you get???
Ken D

Troy, MI

#14 Jul 2, 2006
My 2000 just went again. the blower will only work on 3 and 4 but the AC will not come on. The compressor clicks in on 1 and 2 but but with no blower it disengages. I just burned my finger on the resistor thats how hot it got on 3. Is this normal???
Roger

Sudbury, Canada

#15 Jul 10, 2006
How do i check to find out if my thermal fuse in heater is broken? I have a 2000 Focus
Jennifer

Olive Branch, MS

#16 Jul 14, 2006
I just bought a 2000 Focus a month ago. AC worked fine and heater. It quit the other day--no vent air, nothing! I can't figure out what is wrong! If someone knows, please help!
Kelly

Walled Lake, MI

#17 Jul 14, 2006
I have a 2000 Focus. The A/C worked fine but now it won't come on- not even the fan comes on. I have read elsewhere that it could be the blower motor switch. i just looked at it and disconnected it and it doesn't look fried or messed up. The air recycler switch comes on and the rear defrost works but the a/c button does not light up. What could this be?
Tracy

Phoenix, AZ

#18 Jul 20, 2006
I have a 2000 Focus. I have had no problems with it until last year, the blower stopped working, which meant no AC or heater. It turns out it was my switch that went out. AC blew really well until one day it went out again(the AC, not the blower). I don't know what to do, charge it or buy a compressor. I have to do something quick, because in Arkansas it is 104 degrees with a 106 degrees heat index. Can someone advise me?
ron

Richmond, IN

#19 Jul 21, 2006
Have it looked at by an auto repair shop. The ac systems in cars have low pressure switches which is a saftey so you don't burn out the compressor. I'm not saying its not a compressor but its a starting point

Tracy wrote:
I have a 2000 Focus. I have had no problems with it until last year, the blower stopped working, which meant no AC or heater. It turns out it was my switch that went out. AC blew really well until one day it went out again(the AC, not the blower). I don't know what to do, charge it or buy a compressor. I have to do something quick, because in Arkansas it is 104 degrees with a 106 degrees heat index. Can someone advise me?
Ron

Richmond, IN

#20 Jul 21, 2006
You can't check it. Its mounted behind the glove box. It is to left of the blower motor with 1 screw holding it in. For $15.00 usd you can replace it. The resistors are potted and can not be changed. It took me 10 minutes to replace the bad one.
Roger wrote:
How do i check to find out if my thermal fuse in heater is broken? I have a 2000 Focus

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Focus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ford focus se emblems Aug 12 Jon03 1
2002 Ford Focus radio signal problem (Nov '07) Aug 7 Brok 68
02 focus wagon Jul 30 emma 1
What is metal rod hanging? Jul 29 chiclet6922 1
2008 Ford Focus SE push button vent control Jul '16 Clmathews25 1
focus zx3 stalls (Jun '07) Jun '16 James 76
Engine management fuse (Jul '10) May '16 Jadkins 4
More from around the web