2000 F350 7.3 turbo diesel power stroke
hys

Claremont, MN

#21 May 21, 2008
Ron wrote:
2002 ford 7.3 turbo powerstroke shuts off randomly but it starts right back up like nothing happened. If your going down the road and it does it, it will catch it self and keep running. but at an idle it will die. does anyone know whaat the problem may be?
it's one of your computer modules I had the same problem it would just die randomly It's one of your computer modules and good luck to you.
Sparky

Anchorage, AK

#22 May 28, 2008
jim wrote:
i have heard afew complaints of the 7.3 powerstrokes shutting of and catching itself going down the road and it is the cam shaft sensor. ford has had a recall on them and if you own one from 2000 to 2003 you should get a letter in themail to get it replaced. it is fairley easy to do. i did it myself and it cost less than 50 bucks
The 1997, 98 and 99's were in the recall too. and I think the 1995 and 96 are included as well
matt 2000

Louisville, KY

#23 Jun 4, 2008
my f350 with 7.3 seems to run find until i get it on the highway. when i reach above 60 i start hearing a missing noise (like a hissing noise) then all a sudden i start to lose power fast to the point i pull over and turn it off. after i turn it on it runs really ruff and still lacks a lot of power. when i finaly get it home and let it sit for a few hrs. it seems to run find again until i go on the highway. i had the cam sensor replace. does anybody have any ideas?
jerome

Boron, CA

#24 Jun 20, 2008
Ron wrote:
2002 ford 7.3 turbo powerstroke shuts off randomly but it starts right back up like nothing happened. If your going down the road and it does it, it will catch it self and keep running. but at an idle it will die. does anyone know whaat the problem may be?
its a cam sensor
jerome

Boron, CA

#25 Jun 20, 2008
matt 2000 wrote:
my f350 with 7.3 seems to run find until i get it on the highway. when i reach above 60 i start hearing a missing noise (like a hissing noise) then all a sudden i start to lose power fast to the point i pull over and turn it off. after i turn it on it runs really ruff and still lacks a lot of power. when i finaly get it home and let it sit for a few hrs. it seems to run find again until i go on the highway. i had the cam sensor replace. does anybody have any ideas?
injector problem. need to get a buzz test done and find the injector or injectors that is the problem
jerome

Boron, CA

#26 Jun 20, 2008
jake wrote:
never ownwd a diesel before and im a diesel mechanic on my 7.3 im getting oil from the turbo and its getting into the air cooler not shure if its eccesive blow by or turbo any one else?7
cheek the oil u are using . should be 15/40 if not it is more likly blow by
Carl 2004

Seattle, WA

#27 Jun 25, 2008
F-350 Tubro Diesel. I got out of my truck yesterday and noticed oil leaking from the muffler. The Truck seams to run fine but don't have a clue as to how oil is getting in the exhaust. I drove my truck this morring and there is no oil leaking out and yes there is oil in the motor. Please help!!!!!!
Scott

Dacula, GA

#28 Jul 3, 2008
Ron wrote:
I had the same problem, 99% its the crankshaft sensor. Dont use factory they had a recall. Buy an international brand sensor.
Scott

Dacula, GA

#29 Jul 3, 2008
matt 2000 wrote:
Have you replaced the fuel filter? Do you have the correct fuel pressure?
paulson

Fort Worth, TX

#30 Jul 12, 2008
I have a 1999 F250 with the 7.3L powerstroke diesel. Replaced both batteries and now it won't crank. All the lights come on with the key turned, the starter just won't engage. It was turning over while being jumped this morning prior to replacing the batteries. Now...nothing when the key is turned. Any ideas?
Thanks!
shawn

North Andover, MA

#31 Jul 16, 2008
i think i have a blown head gasket residue neat the oil filter any ideas if the is a warntey on this motor?
Tim Mcleod

Pittsburgh, PA

#32 Jul 18, 2008
Ron wrote:
It may be your fuel screen in your fuel tank or on the side of your frame.
miguel

Laval, Canada

#33 Jul 22, 2008
how economic is the ford 7.3 diesel truck
priority222

Milford, OH

#34 Sep 9, 2008
Ron wrote:
My 1999 f-350 powerstroke was doing the same thing and i changed the cam sensor and it fixed it.
priority222

Milford, OH

#35 Sep 9, 2008
My 1999 f-350 powerstroke was doing the same thing and i changed the cam sensor and it fixed the problem.
scott

Redford, MI

#36 Oct 17, 2008
My 2003 f-350 7.3 diesel has a hard time starting after sitting 6-8 hours. Will not start if sits for days not started. No codes come up at dealership. Replaced glow plug relay, glow plugs, fuel filter. Does not help plugging in either. Cold weather coming. Any ideas.
Buster

Vancouver, Canada

#37 Oct 20, 2008
pneeb wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I had the same issue. You may have a bad cam sensor. This will cause the engine to shut off randomly at idle or while going below 15 MPH. A good tech should be able to troubleshoot this, if they can't consider going somewhere else. After the cam sensor was replaced on my 2000 F350 I have had zero issues. Best of luck.../Patrick
The cam sensor is probably gone but do you know that Ford has a recall on this part
Buster

Vancouver, Canada

#38 Oct 20, 2008
Ford has a recall on the cam sensor
scott

Redford, MI

#39 Oct 23, 2008
I did have the cam sensor replaced at the dealership when it was in.
jim

United States

#40 Nov 23, 2008
I have a 1999 f-350 super duty- 7.3. My problem is that the service engine light is on and then truck has no power. I have three coeds that have come up, they are P0603 ,P1280 , P1690. The P0603 is an internal control Modula error. The P1280 is integrated control panel out of range and the P1690 is a waste gate cylenoid circuit. I have checked the linkage in the turbo it moves freely without binding. I am guessing the turbo is not making any boost.I have checked all vac. lines an plugs everything there looks ok. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford F-350 Super Duty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where do you plug in remote start antenna for a... 16 hr MaryLou 1
F-350 4X4 drive train vibration (Feb '07) Sat Purplejersey 64
F350 4WD not engaging. Please help! (Mar '09) Sat 4874jgr 48
Rad Problems on F350 Diesel (Jan '15) Jul '16 DougDyar 2
Torque converter on f350 Jul '16 DougDyar 1
2001 Ford 350 Truck Diesel 7.3 sops running sev... Jul '16 Jim Rice 1
roaring noise in 2015 & 2016 F350 4x4 with 6"li... Jul '16 bluecat19 1
More from around the web