2000 F350 7.3 turbo diesel power stroke

2000 F350 7.3 turbo diesel power stroke

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
vcp

AOL

#1 Aug 30, 2006
Won't start.2 batteries. owner's manual shows diagram of jump start procedure using driver side battery. text of manual says DO NOT jump using driver's side or frame mounted battery. Who knows proper procedure and which battery to get jump from. thx
Sharkey

AOL

#2 Jan 8, 2007
7.3 is a extremely hard engine to jumpstart,best jumping procedure is utilizing two vehicles and jumping both batteries in unison
Levi

Jamestown, NY

#3 Jan 13, 2007
I'm not sure if there's a big differance between 1999 and 2000, but I have a 1999 F-350 7.3 powerstroke. I always jump start from the Passenger side battery, like my manual says and never had any problems. Be sure the other vehicle is running too. If it won't crank it may be time for some new batteries and/or alternator.
julie

United States

#4 Feb 1, 2007
our 7.3 powerstroke had a stroke - won't run, surges and dies they'vehad it in 3 times now and "nothing is wrong", anyone else have this problem
Ron

Taunton, MA

#5 Apr 11, 2007
2002 ford 7.3 turbo powerstroke shuts off randomly but it starts right back up like nothing happened. If your going down the road and it does it, it will catch it self and keep running. but at an idle it will die. does anyone know whaat the problem may be?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
steve

AOL

#6 Apr 14, 2007
i had a 99, 2000, and 2001 powerstroke and have had so many problems with all three. One would die at idle another surge going down the road and none of them had the power i would expect from a diesel. So I bought a dodge the cummins is a fine engine but DO NOT crank it up it will blow head gaskets. Diesel mechanic at dodge dealer told me that you must purchase new head bolts and a stronger head gasket. Also had major problems with trans and rear end. I pull campers for a living I need a truck I can trust. I have always owned ford but when it comes to feeding my family I will buy the truck that gets the job done. The company I work for has aprox 1000 contracters and in the search for the right truck many of them are talking about the chevy or gmc with the duramax and allison trans. I did alot of homework on this combination and the duramax has been tested for many years in school buses and has done very well. Also the duramax is built by isuzu, isuzu is the number one manufacture of diesel engines in medium duty trucks. I know all the battles between ford, chevy and dodge and let me tell you if you were me and had a family to feed you would not care what it said on the front grill. I't almost killed me to drive home something but a ford but I'm here to tell you I bought a 2001 chevy with a duramax and it has 293000 miles on it and the only thing that has ever gone wrong.I do very good maintenance and use lucas oil at every oil change. hope this helps you guys in the diesel war over "who is better".
pneeb

San Jose, CA

#7 Jul 9, 2007
Ron wrote:
2002 ford 7.3 turbo powerstroke shuts off randomly but it starts right back up like nothing happened. If your going down the road and it does it, it will catch it self and keep running. but at an idle it will die. does anyone know whaat the problem may be?
Yes I had the same issue. You may have a bad cam sensor. This will cause the engine to shut off randomly at idle or while going below 15 MPH. A good tech should be able to troubleshoot this, if they can't consider going somewhere else. After the cam sensor was replaced on my 2000 F350 I have had zero issues. Best of luck.../Patrick
pneeb

San Jose, CA

#8 Jul 9, 2007
thanks
brent

Mona Vale, Australia

#9 Oct 10, 2007
Cam positioning sensor on 7.3 powerstrokes is a problem, get them on ebay, cheap and readily available. I've got a RCM industries (melbourne)converted 2000 F350, can anyone tell me what steering box is used in them?
Frank Ricci

Johnston, RI

#10 Nov 6, 2007
Ron wrote:
I have a 2000 F350 had the same problem repaced the trottle pedal at $250. and the problem was solved.
Frank Ricci

Johnston, RI

#11 Nov 6, 2007
I have a 2000 F350 had the same problem replaced the trottle pedal and the problem was solved.PS check the oil pan for rust they rot away you have to have the motor pulled out to replace about $2500. at Ford.Mime is being done as we speek (not Happy)
john

Newton, NJ

#12 Nov 13, 2007
Ron wrote:
crankshaft or camshaft sensor
CO mobile truck repair

Dayton, NV

#13 Nov 15, 2007
Ron wrote:
Crank angle sensor has a glitch located at front of motor below water pump. A 10mm socket will remove the sensor and unplug. I think it cost less than $50
jake

Rowland Heights, CA

#14 Nov 17, 2007
never ownwd a diesel before and im a diesel mechanic on my 7.3 im getting oil from the turbo and its getting into the air cooler not shure if its eccesive blow by or turbo any one else?7
RRC156

Poughkeepsie, NY

#15 Mar 26, 2008
cam shaft sensor
RRC156

Poughkeepsie, NY

#16 Mar 26, 2008
cam shaft sensor, ford had a recall
bill

Anchorage, AK

#17 Apr 24, 2008
no wait to start light, rplased pcu (not it) glow plug sensor relay (not it) wont pick up code reader
jim

Lima, OH

#18 Apr 25, 2008
i have heard afew complaints of the 7.3 powerstrokes shutting of and catching itself going down the road and it is the cam shaft sensor. ford has had a recall on them and if you own one from 2000 to 2003 you should get a letter in themail to get it replaced. it is fairley easy to do. i did it myself and it cost less than 50 bucks
chris

AOL

#19 Apr 26, 2008
Ron wrote:
They have had problems with the crank sensor and make sure you change your fuel filters every 3 months or 5ooo. Diesel now I have noticed is getting more and more water in it. Also have your ICP readings and oil pressure readings checked.
Randy 2002 Ford

Dallas, GA

#20 Apr 30, 2008
It's the cam sensor. My 2002 7.3 did it several times. Once I found out about the re-call and had it changed (Less that 30 minutes in the service department) I have had no more problems.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford F-350 Super Duty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Electrical issue 4 hr Fjtyler 1
Low Turbo Boost on 2006 6.0 Liter Diesel (May '10) May 19 Troy 33
F-350 4X4 drive train vibration (Feb '07) May 18 Ajlbird 61
Heated Seats: May 3 mrfast 1
95 ford f350 one ton dualy Apr '16 Chase 1
2011 Drivers Seat Apr '16 Mrf 1
wandering front end (Mar '09) Apr '16 Shanise 20
More from around the web