Low Turbo Boost on 2006 6.0 Liter Diesel

Low Turbo Boost on 2006 6.0 Liter Diesel

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Billy Smith

Diberville, MS

#1 May 29, 2010
I just bought a 2006 F350 Dually form a "Nice Little Old Lady Who Needed The Money" and I think I'm in trouble. The thing was running fine and 20 miles after I bought it, the check engine light came on so I went to Advance Auto and they read the code as "Low Turbo Boost" or something like that. I had them reset it to see if it was a fluke. 100 miles later, the light come on again. I checked again and got the same error code. The truck seems to run fine but I don't want to run it until I can have it checked out. Ideas?
memnock

Calgary, Canada

#2 Jun 17, 2010
I can tell you right now to have the turbo checked because they can sometimes get gummed up or it could be a seal in the turbo going, and change the air filter every 10000 miles does wonders
bob

Charleston, SC

#3 Jun 29, 2010
all i can tell you is get rid of it we have one that was bought new and have gone through 3 motors and four turbos and the low turbo pressure code still comes up its something with to small of an exhaust system on it but if you change it to bigger it has to have a new chip and have been trying to find part numbers to get ours taken care of GOOD LUCK
joe

New York, NY

#4 Jul 9, 2010
You must suck at driving then Guy that had to replace the motor 3 times
joe

New York, NY

#5 Jul 9, 2010
Its a good truck and it sons like your boost seniors bad so get a new one
Andy

New York, NY

#6 Jul 9, 2010
Its sounds not it sons stupid. Or it's your waste gate (Ford rools)
2006 f350 6 liter diesel

Calgary, Canada

#7 Jul 16, 2010
I have had $30000 worth of warrantee repairs to mine in the last 2 years and it is in the shop again. blowing smoke. They said cylinder 8 has no compression and the truck only has 80000 km. what do people think?
darren

Molalla, OR

#8 Dec 3, 2011
check the turbo boots blue next to the turbo also down buy the intercooler
Nervous Dad

Pendleton, SC

#9 Apr 14, 2012
My son recently bought an 2006 Ford F-350 Super Duty. I had warned him not to buy this model so before he made the first payment it was back at the dealership (head gasket). They changed the $3000.00 head bolts they said had stretched. Is there hope for this NICE LOOKING TRUCK?
Lee Boys Diesel Performan

Denver, CO

#10 May 14, 2012
Andy wrote:
Its sounds not it sons stupid. Or it's your waste gate (Ford rools)

Well this guys a moron because the 6.0 dont got a waste gate
6point0wner

Mission, KS

#11 Jun 10, 2012
<quote>My son recently bought an 2006 Ford F-350 Super Duty. I had warned him not to buy this model so before he made the first payment it was back at the dealership (head gasket). They changed the $3000.00 head bolts they said had stretched. Is there hope for this NICE LOOKING TRUCK? </quote>
Yes, every single manufacturer on the planet has flaws to their designs, you fix them and move on. Your son shoulf have put head studs in instead of bolts, do research on the vehicle before you buy them. It helps.
<quote>all i can tell you is get rid of it we have one that was bought new and have gone through 3 motors and four turbos and the low turbo pressure code still comes up its something with to small of an exhaust system on it but if you change it to bigger it has to have a new chip and have been trying to find part numbers to get ours taken care of GOOD LUCK </quote>
Your an idiot. Plain and simple.
and to the OP , have turbo cleaned up, or check your connection to Y pipe and possibly could have a crack in one of your intercooler hoses on passenger side. You bought a good truck, probably been babied its whole life, and a 6.0 turbo needs to have the cobwebs ran out of it now and again to keep veins from sticking.
Kenny

Chelsea, AL

#12 Jul 17, 2012
darren wrote:
check the turbo boots blue next to the turbo also down buy the intercooler
Darren,
What am I looking for on boots? I got oil leaking out mine. Motor slugish and smokin.
Shane

Tucker, GA

#13 Jul 14, 2013
To the guy who said he went through 3-motors, I call bull hockey. No way. Did not happen. The 6.0 is an extremely reliable engine, once a few preventive measures are taken. It simply will not have the reliability of the 7.3. However it is light years ahead of the 7.3 on performance. I own one. I love it. I know how to take care of it.
Charlie

Ames, IA

#14 Aug 13, 2013
Get Bulletproofed! Only way to ensure your Ford 6.0 is gonna run for years...www.bulletproofdiesel. com
Paul

Steamboat Springs, CO

#15 Oct 30, 2013
My boost on my f350 6.0 superduty, works good sometimes, and then not at all then it works agian, cant figure out wtf is wrong, I replaced the egr valve, but still doing it why..........
Mike

Moore, SC

#16 Nov 5, 2013
How long was the truck sitting befor you bought the truck? If it was sitting aNd owned by older people the turbo is problobly gummed up and sticking these trucks like to and need to be run. If they idle a lot they gum up to. Three or four up grades and a little money and these motors are great. I own four trucks with 6.0s and one with 6.4 love my ford trucks. But I would tear turbo apart and clean and check the Unison Ring in the turbo for wear makes. Good luck don't be scared of these motors upgraded they are great.
Mike

Moore, SC

#17 Nov 5, 2013
Paul check your map sensor and the VGT Solenoid.
TCB

Burleson, TX

#18 Nov 28, 2013
I have a F350 was pulling travel trailer the engine light came on. I was told it read low turbo boost what needs to be done ?
tony

Perris, CA

#19 Dec 2, 2013
My 2006 ford f 350 had the same problem. Boost was low on the reader,but on the actual truck gage was at 35-38 lbs of boost. I would have to release my foot from the pedal to lower the boost to like 15 lbs. So this l past weekend i was towing my toy hauler and i heard a medium noise that sounded like a blow vaulve went off or something. After that noise, the turbo went down to like 2 lbs and dropped to like 45 mph. I think i blew the turbo. Will just have to see...i took it to the shop.
rounderclyde

Lithonia, GA

#20 Jan 19, 2014
tony wrote:
My 2006 ford f 350 had the same problem. Boost was low on the reader,but on the actual truck gage was at 35-38 lbs of boost. I would have to release my foot from the pedal to lower the boost to like 15 lbs. So this l past weekend i was towing my toy hauler and i heard a medium noise that sounded like a blow vaulve went off or something. After that noise, the turbo went down to like 2 lbs and dropped to like 45 mph. I think i blew the turbo. Will just have to see...i took it to the shop.
I was driving yesterday and heard what sounded like a blown off boot or disconnected hose that would be boost related., checked all boots and all in tact. When I give it more than 1/4 throttle, I hear a winding like sound and it is losing boost and spool. I was not driving it hard or fast when this happened. 9 out of 10 times this would be a blown off food or disconnected boot or sleeve somewhere. I hope its not serious cuz I just had my truck running perfect and on my custom tunes were running did on with tons of power and mid 20's on my fuel mileage. Any suggestions or advice besides a possible turbo or turbo related fix. Thanks a lot guys I appreciate all the help

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford F-350 Super Duty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Smog time Aug 3 Mark holdbrooks 1
Check ingeine light is on need to smog my... Aug 3 Mark holdbrooks 2
2000 F350 7.3 turbo diesel power stroke (Aug '06) Jul '17 Blake 242
F-350 4X4 drive train vibration (Feb '07) Jun '17 Rhodies 67
Rad Problems on F350 Diesel (Jan '15) Jun '17 Golfinggal 3
F350 4WD not engaging. Please help! (Mar '09) May '17 nick 63
Short Buzz From Ignition Switch May '17 Oregonbowguy 1
More from around the web