F-350 4 wheel drive
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Off Road

Providence, UT

#1 Mar 30, 2006
Can anyone tell me if they experience a problem DIS-engaging from 4 wheel back to 2 wheel drive.
The idiot light goes out (as if in 2 wheel drive) however,I just paid over $700 to have a new hub and drive-line installed because it did not dis-engage...
abb

Owen Sound, Canada

#2 Jun 1, 2006
when dis-engaging your hubs put it in revers roll back. that should take you out off fourwheel
allan evans

United States

#3 Jun 27, 2006
i bought a 2000 f350 crew cab 4x4 diesel dually with a service bed to pull my toy hauler to the beach. i want to make it a single wheel in the rear. what do i have to do to convert this truck? i took the spacers off the front and put regular stock rims all the way around and now the front looks too narrow and the rear looks too wide
Cwbytouch

United States

#4 Jul 11, 2006
I bought a 1993 Ford F350 with a automatic E4OD tranny in it. I am getting hard shift when the gear engages. I am getting Error codes of 628 escessive converter clutch slippage, and 634 Manual Lever Position Voltage higher or lower than expected. Anybody got any advise?
paul

Malvern, UK

#5 Oct 2, 2006
please can any one tell me where to find a parts dealer for a ford f350 super duelly many thanks
fred

Levittown, NY

#6 Oct 3, 2006
anyone have a problem with 2004 Ford F350 steering locking up or engine stalling out?
mandorando

AOL

#7 Nov 8, 2007
just bought 2006 f350, its has eletcronic 4x4 switch inside and locking hubs out side, do i need to lock the hubs to 4 wheel?
Chuck

Cape Coral, FL

#8 Nov 19, 2007
fred wrote:
anyone have a problem with 2004 Ford F350 steering locking up or engine stalling out?
check out National Highway Traffic Safety Administration web-site nhtsa.dot.gov Look up consumer complaints you will find you are not alone with that problem!
John Woodbury CT

Newington, CT

#9 Dec 19, 2007
I have a 2000 F-350 Lariat with 69,000 miles. I ave a seize failure on the 4 wheel drive hubs front hubs which according to Ford cannot be rebuilt or serviced. PAIR OF NEW HUBS ARE $622.00. Upon installtion hubs engage manually to lock but do not in auto mode from inside switch. There is a FORD SB to enlarge vaccum holes which now has to be done. Anyone else seen this problem.
Tom L

Molalla, OR

#10 Jan 2, 2008
John Woodbury CT wrote:
I have a 2000 F-350 Lariat with 69,000 miles. I ave a seize failure on the 4 wheel drive hubs front hubs which according to Ford cannot be rebuilt or serviced. PAIR OF NEW HUBS ARE $622.00. Upon installtion hubs engage manually to lock but do not in auto mode from inside switch. There is a FORD SB to enlarge vaccum holes which now has to be done. Anyone else seen this problem.
I had similar problem on my 2000 f-250. Left side would lock up on the bumpy freeway and make a heck of a noise. Switching into 4-hi would make the sound stop until the next bump. Les Schwab said large O-ring deteriorated and let dirt in. This destroyed the needle bearings in the hub, which then destroyed the splines on the axle shaft. After replacing the left side($1200), I put Warn hubs on it- seemed to take care of the problem.
duckass

Moose Jaw, Canada

#11 Feb 10, 2008
I have a 2004 f350 king ranch when i flip the switch to 4hi it grinds then a bang . It has done this a few times now i don't have 4x4 the light shows it is in but only the back wheels spin . Please help me i am a 1 time ford owner with auto hubs thank you.
steve ala

Pike Road, AL

#12 Feb 27, 2008
John Woodbury CT wrote:
i also have a 2000 f 350 that will not auto lock the hubs, they will manual lock. i have taken apart the hubs and freed them up, searched for and repaired any vacum leaks, and installed a new vacum solenoid on the passenger fender all to no avail the high price of the replacement hubs has kept me from trying new ones and your problem seems to indicate it might not be a fix anyway
captainsawdust

United States

#13 Jun 3, 2008
mandorando wrote:
just bought 2006 f350, its has eletcronic 4x4 switch inside and locking hubs out side, do i need to lock the hubs to 4 wheel?
No, you just have to set the hubs to automatic and they should (if working) switch in and out of 4WD for you. If you lock the hubs, you are merely locking the front wheels to the front drivetrain, until you throw the switch inside you are in two wheel drive, but you spinning the front driveshaft from the front wheels. I'd lock them if you are going to be offroad for a while, not just getting unstuck. Onroad, leaving the hubs locked will cost you about 1 - 1.5 mpg
captainsawdust

United States

#14 Jun 3, 2008
duckass wrote:
I have a 2004 f350 king ranch when i flip the switch to 4hi it grinds then a bang . It has done this a few times now i don't have 4x4 the light shows it is in but only the back wheels spin . Please help me i am a 1 time ford owner with auto hubs thank you.
The bang is the transfer case falling into 4WD, similar to missing a gear on a manual shift then finding it. It will do this if you are standing hard on the accelerorator or if the rear wheels are spinning without traction when you switch over to 4WD. Your front hubs are probably in need of replacing to be able to switch from the inside. You can check this by rotating the switch located in the center of the hub (center of hubcap) to the locked position, this should give you 4WD that you can switch from inside, but this will leave the front driveshaft engaged, costing you mileage. If you dont mind getting out of the truck to spin switches, leave it, but for the amount of $ a King Ranch costs, I'd replace the auto locking hubs.
Feger

Gallatin, TN

#15 Jun 14, 2008
The hubs essentially have two modes of operation; Auto and Locked. If left in the auto position, the inside selection of 4wd will engage them. The lock position is intended for extended time spent in 4wd such as off-road trails. When in the locked position, just remember that they will need to be manually unlocked, or placed back into the auto position, before hitting the pavement. Normal winter snow to pavement can be handled in auto as well. If it gets icy and snow covered, the locked position will best be suited. One note; When still in the auto position, the truck may like a 4-8 foot travel in reverse to fully disengage the hubs, after the interior selector has been switched to 2wd. It's not always necessary, but may be required at times. >Feger
Jeff

Pomerene, AZ

#16 Jul 15, 2008
Off Road wrote:
Can anyone tell me if they experience a problem DIS-engaging from 4 wheel back to 2 wheel drive.
The idiot light goes out (as if in 2 wheel drive) however,I just paid over $700 to have a new hub and drive-line installed because it did not dis-engage...
I have had this happen twice and of course Ford disavows anything. So while driving my son pushed the switch in hard and it finally disengaged. I don't use 4x4 unless necessary because my truck is probably now out of warranty.
Jeff

Pomerene, AZ

#17 Jul 15, 2008
fred wrote:
I have had this problem and it still continues. I have owned this truck since new and Ford doesn't help. They have had to change the computer and adjust the computer on several ocassions and it happens still just not as often. I recently had problems with the steering wheel locking up and now my transmission is having problems engaging.
Jeff

Pomerene, AZ

#18 Jul 15, 2008
duckass wrote:
Me too and I am not enthused about Ford's responses. I have many problems with my 2004, one of them being the above. While in Zions Park in Utah we had the same problem and couldn't get rid of the grinding or the 4x4 to disengage. My son finally pushed hard on the switch and it went away. Of course, evidence there is a problem and now I am encountering problems with the steering locking up and the transmission engaging into reverse or going into drive.
Ace

Carrizo Springs, TX

#19 Jul 18, 2008
anyone know if they sell a conversion kit to change the electic 4x4 to man on a f350 2005 just like in a jeep now i dont want to change the automatic transmmission just want to see if there is a way to make it a man shifter for the 4x4 drive
Ace

Carrizo Springs, TX

#20 Jul 18, 2008
also on the f350 super duty 4x4 auto trans when putting in to 4x4 hi the book said it takes up to 45 sec for it to engage is there anyway to be able to reduce the time span, like a man lever where it is instint.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford F-350 Super Duty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
no shift no start 3 hr Ray 1
Where do you plug in remote start antenna for a... Aug 28 MaryLou 1
F-350 4X4 drive train vibration (Feb '07) Aug 27 Purplejersey 64
F350 4WD not engaging. Please help! (Mar '09) Aug 27 4874jgr 48
2000 F350 7.3 turbo diesel power stroke (Aug '06) Aug 11 PatrickJ 236
Rad Problems on F350 Diesel (Jan '15) Jul '16 DougDyar 2
Torque converter on f350 Jul '16 DougDyar 1
More from around the web