ford 200 f150 stsrt problems
Fong

Vernon, Canada

#22 Dec 1, 2006
I need some help.. I have a 1987 Ford F150 XLT and Im having some problems starting it these days.. I cant get it to start unless I force it into park.. I call it the REACH AOUND SYNDROM (using my left arm around the steerin' wheel holding the gear selector hard into park while starting).Ive been told that its a censor that tells the starter its in park. Ive also been told that its a spring. Not sure whats going on or how to attack the problem..

Its getting worse by the day so Id like to fix it now.. please help
Frank

AOL

#23 Dec 2, 2006
It's your Ignition switch in the steering column... The parts are cheap to buy and easy to replace. It's a spring loaded switch that has a plug on it. Alos could be the neutral safety switch located on the transmission. Look for it in rockauto.com
justin bein

United States

#24 Dec 4, 2006
sounds to me like you guys shouldve bought a chevy
Frank

AOL

#25 Dec 4, 2006
Yeah but Chevy's suck and have weak motors. lol!
scott

Campti, LA

#26 Dec 4, 2006
Anybody have a 2006 f150 they are having problems with?
Frank

AOL

#27 Dec 4, 2006
scott wrote:
Anybody have a 2006 f150 they are having problems with?
what kinda problems??? Mine is ok...
scott

Madison, AL

#28 Dec 5, 2006
Frank wrote:
<quoted text> what kinda problems??? Mine is ok...
When I go to start it sometimes the starter is turning but it dosen't start the first try I have to wait about 5 or 10 sec. and try again I took it to ford and guess what they said they didn't see any thing wrong..hmm..but I do it is a brand new truck its not suppost to do that or thats what I say now I noticed a rattling noise coming from under the hood on the drivers side when I take off from a stop.....got any Ideas?
Frank

AOL

#29 Dec 5, 2006
Is it a 5.4L ? Have them check to see if it may be cam phasers that are out of sync. My truck had a problem with them that showed up at about 800 miles on the new truck. Turned out that it was doing something similar to yours and was making a ticking or rattling noise from under the hood. It was investigated by ford and they found that the cam phasers and other parts had failed and the engine was not able to be repaired. Ford then sent out from the factory a new 2007 5.4L to replace my engine. I was assured that the new engine had all of the newest upgrades to cure the problems I was having. I think they were a little embarassed that the first engine didn't go 800 miles. Hey what the heck I got a new engine, rental truck and great service for free so to speak, without any hassel at all. The new engine now has 2,300 miles on it and runs great. Have them check the cam phasers on both sides, the valves may be opening at the wrong time causing your no start condition. have them check compression in all cylinders to confirm what the valves are doing. It may be the cam phasers are out of sync and causing this to happen to your new truck. Good luck
scott

Madison, AL

#30 Dec 5, 2006
Frank wrote:
Is it a 5.4L ? Have them check to see if it may be cam phasers that are out of sync. My truck had a problem with them that showed up at about 800 miles on the new truck. Turned out that it was doing something similar to yours and was making a ticking or rattling noise from under the hood. It was investigated by ford and they found that the cam phasers and other parts had failed and the engine was not able to be repaired. Ford then sent out from the factory a new 2007 5.4L to replace my engine. I was assured that the new engine had all of the newest upgrades to cure the problems I was having. I think they were a little embarassed that the first engine didn't go 800 miles. Hey what the heck I got a new engine, rental truck and great service for free so to speak, without any hassel at all. The new engine now has 2,300 miles on it and runs great. Have them check the cam phasers on both sides, the valves may be opening at the wrong time causing your no start condition. have them check compression in all cylinders to confirm what the valves are doing. It may be the cam phasers are out of sync and causing this to happen to your new truck. Good luck
Yes Frank it is a 5.4 thanks for the info. I am going to hound them about it again.
zbigy

Polska, Poland

#31 Dec 5, 2006
Hello
I have F150 Lariat 2004 and have problem
maybe you can help me ?
When I starting and going I hear chimes ( 5 beep in 5 series ,and after 30 min 5 beep in 5 series and after 30 min ...)
my adress [email protected] ( I'm from Poland)
Frank

AOL

#32 Dec 6, 2006
zbigy wrote:
Hello
I have F150 Lariat 2004 and have problem
maybe you can help me ?
When I starting and going I hear chimes ( 5 beep in 5 series ,and after 30 min 5 beep in 5 series and after 30 min ...)
my adress [email protected] ( I'm from Poland)
Is it a disel? Try disconneecting the battery cables and wait about 30 mins, then reconnect and battery and start.... sounds like you are throwing codes and this may help with your problem.
cosmo

United States

#33 Dec 8, 2006
my 2002 f150 am radio went out last nite. the temp got down to 29 degrees. the fm radio still works. after checking with an ohmeter, the am antenna is a dead short to ground. anyone else have this problem?
Frank

AOL

#34 Dec 9, 2006
I thought AM and FM both used the same antenna? They do on all of my cars... and that the AM & FM Band are contained in one in-dash radio unit that is installed at the factory... Or unless yours is from the World War II era? May be your speaking of the AM side of the radio itself does not work and the FM still does, It may be a short other than from the antenna. The antenna is supposed to be a ground, other than that it sounds like there is something wrong with your unit and needs to be repaired or replaced.
Brandon

Winnipeg, Canada

#35 Dec 11, 2006
Tony wrote:
Have a 2000 Ford F150 4.6 truck starts fine in the morning if I make more than one stop it won't start (doesn't even turn over like battery is dead) I let it set for a few hours and it starts? Is this something to do with Theft System? Is there a timer that resets after a certain amount of time?
I have the same problem. 2000 ford f150 starts only in cold not when warm. i have lights, windows, and stereo but nothing is turning over.
Frank

AOL

#36 Dec 11, 2006
Change the battery!
Brandon

Winnipeg, Canada

#37 Dec 13, 2006
I fixed it. it wasnt the battery, i thought the same when the problem occured. It was the solanoid starter. Ford has 2 of them one mounted on the starter itself and one on the back left side under the hood. Tested for power everything was fine except for the 2nd solanoid starter. part was like 35 bucks. Everything works fine now.
Patrick

Saint Paul, MN

#38 Dec 20, 2006
I have a 2003 Ford F150, truck runs great except when I fill the gas tank. It sometimes hesitates or even stalls for the first 30 miles on the new tank of gas. When it stalls I'm always able to restart it and keep going. After the first 30 miles it runs without issue. Any ideas?
Christ

Conway, AR

#39 Dec 21, 2006
we have a 87 ford f-150. our gear shift won't leave the park position. we have narrowed it down to it being in the steering coloumn and we have just disconnected the linkage for now so that i can still get back and forth. the issue is, we can't get the ignition switch out to get into the steering column to check out the problem. Any ideas?
Brian

Quantico, VA

#40 Dec 22, 2006
Patrick wrote:
I have a 2003 Ford F150, truck runs great except when I fill the gas tank. It sometimes hesitates or even stalls for the first 30 miles on the new tank of gas. When it stalls I'm always able to restart it and keep going. After the first 30 miles it runs without issue. Any ideas?
I would start with the in-tank pump...check to see if it is grounding out. I had an older 1999 F150 that would run really rough to the point of stall when I would fill it up with gas. It would die and I would restart...the relay would of course pop off before any damage was done. Found out that the fuel level had something to do with a wire shorting out inside the tank. I replace the entire in-tank assembly and then it ran fine after.
Patrick

Saint Paul, MN

#41 Dec 23, 2006
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>
I would start with the in-tank pump...check to see if it is grounding out. I had an older 1999 F150 that would run really rough to the point of stall when I would fill it up with gas. It would die and I would restart...the relay would of course pop off before any damage was done. Found out that the fuel level had something to do with a wire shorting out inside the tank. I replace the entire in-tank assembly and then it ran fine after.
Thanks very much for the tip Brian. I'll check that out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford F-150 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Full-size diesel pickup truck that gets 37 mpg?... 3 hr wip 1
News Feds Urged to Act on Ford Spark Plug Blow-Outs (Jan '06) Sun OlTimer 1,361
Back breaks do not work Dec 29 Anonymous 2
News Ford shutting Kansas City plant for a week, GM ... Dec 28 Hahaha 2
change fuel pump and its missfireing Dec 28 smokyjoe 1
ford f150 with 4.2 Dec 28 smokyjoe 1
Keyless Entry Master Code (Jul '06) Dec '16 Nixta 143
More from around the web