ford 200 f150 stsrt problems
robert

Phoenix, AZ

#185 Aug 31, 2009
i need help troubleshooting a 2002 f-150. some days it takes 2-3 cranks before it starts is that a starter issue or a fuel pump issue
kevin

Naperville, IL

#186 Sep 1, 2009
boomer wrote:
<quoted text>
Same thing here. Problem seems quite a bit worse during hot weather. Truck sitting for hours in hot (over 90) won't start. When temps drop (below 80) at night it will fire right up. Always starts in cooler morning temps.
I ended up having my truck immediately towed to a dealer the last time it would not start and asked them to look at it right away. They diagnosed a bad fuel pump. They found no fuel pressure and confirmed the pump was getting power. I was very skeptical and asked for assurance that if the probelm returned several months later I would be credited the cost of the pump. So far - so good. I also had the filter changed at the same time as well.
Mark

Grenloch, NJ

#187 Oct 31, 2009
My 1995 Ford F150 intermittently won't start. One day it's fine, the next day it'll start but 2 hours later it won't. But if I crank it 15 or 20 times then it will start. Mechanic has replaced the following: rotor and distributor cap, new fuel filter, and new relay which something to do with the fuel injection. Both fuel pumps (dual tanks) can be heard when key is turned on. ANy help would be appreciated.
Mark

Grenloch, NJ

#188 Oct 31, 2009
My 1995 Ford F150 intermittently won't start. Oned day it's fine, the next morning it starts, but after sitting 2 hours it won't start. Mechanic has replaced the following: new fuel filter, new rotor and distributor cap, new relay or sensor connected to the fuel injection system. ANy help is appreciated.
Carl Messina

Amherst, MA

#189 Dec 4, 2009
02 F150 need to change coil on cyl 8. Do I need to completely remove the fuel rail or can I get it out by just lifting the rail out of the way? If I need to remove it does it just put out of the connection at the back of the engine? Any help appreciated.

-Carl
Andy

United States

#190 Dec 8, 2009
I have a 2001 ford f150 super crew with a 5.4L and i have a problem with it starting. It will get me to work and when im getting off work it wont start it will turn over and over but wont fire up seems like fuel pump??? any other guy got this problem??? its got all the cranking power just like its got no fuel
tom

Bear River, Canada

#191 Dec 19, 2009
its in the exhaust system down by the catalytic converters
Carol wrote:
Can anyone head me in the right direction to find the oxygen sensor in my 1992 F150? Thanks.
David

Pipestone, MN

#192 Jan 14, 2010
Tony wrote:
Have a 2000 Ford F150 4.6 truck starts fine in the morning if I make more than one stop it won't start (doesn't even turn over like battery is dead) I let it set for a few hours and it starts? Is this something to do with Theft System? Is there a timer that resets after a certain amount of time?
Hi Tony, I too own a Ford F150 with a 4.6L. A couple of weeks ago during a severe snow storm I had to crash through three foot snow drifts. Since that night I have had many problems with my truck, starting with burnt out plugs a bad fuel filter(the filter was my fault) and now I have the same issue as you. I go to start my pickup after I have driven for a while and when I try to start it up again it seems like the battery is dead except for the fact that the starter does not even make a clicking noise. If you figure out this issue I would be forever in you debt if you could share the knowledge.
David

Pipestone, MN

#193 Jan 14, 2010
Carl Messina wrote:
02 F150 need to change coil on cyl 8. Do I need to completely remove the fuel rail or can I get it out by just lifting the rail out of the way? If I need to remove it does it just put out of the connection at the back of the engine? Any help appreciated.
-Carl
Hi Carl,
I have replaced all the coils on my F150 with a 4.6l and I was able to do it without removinng the fuel rail.
David

Pipestone, MN

#194 Jan 15, 2010
Frank wrote:
It's your Ignition switch in the steering column... The parts are cheap to buy and easy to replace. It's a spring loaded switch that has a plug on it. Alos could be the neutral safety switch located on the transmission. Look for it in rockauto.com
Frank my 01 f150 with a 4.6 acts like the battery is dead when I try to start it in park but if I shift into nuetral she will start right up. can you please help.
anthony

Tampa, FL

#195 Feb 22, 2010
Rick wrote:
I have a 2002 Ford F-150 4.6L, I have a problem when the car is in drive and going down the highway it sputters like it is starving for fuel. When I let the car sit in Park the idle is smooth but as soon as I Put the car in Reverse or Drive the truck begins to sputter. Do you have any ideas on what may be going on?
I had the same problem check fuse # F1-23 under hood fuse box
colten

Albuquerque, NM

#196 Feb 23, 2010
hello i have 2003 ford f-150 with the 4.6 its a five speed. my problem is that when i try to start my truck it turns ove but never fires the theft light blinks rapidly and my odometer is nothing but straight dashes across it i tried a new key and diconnecting my battery for long periods of time please help
Darla

Fairfield, CA

#197 Mar 8, 2010
Andy wrote:
I have a 2001 ford f150 super crew with a 5.4L and i have a problem with it starting. It will get me to work and when im getting off work it wont start it will turn over and over but wont fire up seems like fuel pump??? any other guy got this problem??? its got all the cranking power just like its got no fuel
Andy, did you figure out your problem? I have the same year and model truck with the 4.6L engine. Mine is doing the same thing. I had it to a mechanic after the 2nd episode, and he kept it for 10 days trying to make it repeat the episode. It would not. I got it back, drove for 90 minutees, stopped for 10 minuts then tried numerous times to start it. It had to sit undisturbed for 2 hrs before it would start up again. This is the 3rd time this has happens. Any ideas yet?
Brian

Erie, PA

#198 Mar 11, 2010
I have 1998 F150 ran fine, parked in the driveway and it will only click, won't take a jump. Any ideas
dean

Oak Brook, IL

#199 Mar 14, 2010
2002 f 150 with the 5.4 . Was running great untill i had some work done to it. I had the intake changed, injectors cleaned, coolant flushed and the trans servised. I got all my power back and it runs great. the problem is that after it is warmed up, if i let it sit for about 30 to 45 minuts it's hard to start. it starts every time first try if it's cold. it starts fine if i turn it off then start it after only a few minuts. the original guy that worked on it can't find the problem nor can the ford guys. everything that can be checked has been checked or so i've been told. they tell me my truck is perfect according to the computers. the MAS has been cleaned. 100k mile tune up with new wires. i even got a new battery plus all the other work. does anyone have any ideas please.
art

Bronx, NY

#200 Mar 17, 2010
I have a 2000 ford f150 with 4.6 v8.I haven driven around all day making multiple stops ( turning off the engine) then restarting, one time I make a stop, then it won't start, but turns over, had it towed on a flatbed to my mechanic, when they took it off the truck it started, this has happened 3 times.Now it sits in my driveway and won't start again. My mechanic is not sure if it's the fuel pump which is a $1,000 job or the anti-theft module, which he say's is not cheap either, I don't know what to do.
Any Help.
Dave

Brampton, Canada

#201 Jun 29, 2010
I have the same problem as Tommy.
I have a 2003 4.6 and every so often it just refuses to start. Even if I let it sit overnight. I have changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, and currently is sitting at the dealer and they are unable to find a problem.
The only code they found had something to do with the auto theft.
tom v

Sarasota, FL

#202 Jul 10, 2010
i have check engine light is on 2002 f150 4.2 will start good i will go somewhere will not start turn over good will not start 3or5 times then it will start
Anthony

Kingston, Jamaica

#203 Sep 14, 2010
Two months after I bought a 4.6 F150, it will not start. Changed fuel pump and filter, removed and cleaned all injectors (professionally). It will only start when I spray some carb cleaner into the throttle body (by removing one of the ports on the rubber connector to the throttle body). The motor will run for approx. 15 seconds (the carb cleaner burns out). OBD II shows no problem with the ECU.
Ever heard of this problem? Can you help?
jims

Los Angeles, CA

#204 Sep 29, 2010
1995 Ford F150XLT with dual tanks. Originally used front primarily. Then it started running like it had water in the tank. Then 1 day wouldnt start. Switched to rear tank all was fine except terrible gas milage. Within weeks I switched back to front tank, why I dont know, and it runs again like it has water in the tank, but does run.

What the heck could be wrong. Does each tank have independent pumps & filters. Please advise.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford F-150 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keyless Entry Master Code (Jul '06) Nov 21 ed717521c 144
2000 f-150 4x4 front axle question (Jan '08) Nov 17 Guardrail72 30
Cold Air Intake Problem Whinning Noise (Dec '06) Oct '17 Cdy bn l 52
News Feds Urged to Act on Ford Spark Plug Blow-Outs (Jan '06) Oct '17 Imagination 1,369
97 F150 4.6l intermittent rough idle (Dec '07) Sep '17 Justin-Time 23
2006 F150 king ranch 5.4l 4x4 has a miss fire t... (Mar '17) Sep '17 Justin-Time 3
f150 drivetrain vibration (Apr '08) Aug '17 linwoodgroup 68
More from around the web