First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mark

Winchester, VA

#1 Oct 10, 2006
Has anyone had any problems with a bad vibration in the steering of a 2006 f150? I have had it in the shop 2 times already and it hasn't been fixed. The vibration starts at about 45mph and gets worse from there. At first they told me it was the factory tires so I replaced them with BFG allterrains, but the vibration is still there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Frank

AOL

#2 Oct 10, 2006
My '06 F150 did the same thing and it was the Conti tires. Let me ask you this... Do you drive with your windows rolled down? Your gonna say I'm nut's but the wind will buffet thru the cab and make the vehicle shake as if it is the steering. The tire problem is something you expect from carppy tires. Tell the dealership that it's still doing it and to put Goodyear Fortera's on the truck they are great tires... Soon as my Crappy Conti's wear out the Goodyears go on! Good luck
watson

Lynchburg, VA

#3 Oct 14, 2006
Mark wrote:
Has anyone had any problems with a bad vibration in the steering of a 2006 f150? I have had it in the shop 2 times already and it hasn't been fixed. The vibration starts at about 45mph and gets worse from there. At first they told me it was the factory tires so I replaced them with BFG allterrains, but the vibration is still there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Take the truck to your locaol tire shop and have them
check to see if the wheel is bent could also be bad
shocks from the factory also have them put the front tires on the back
bluebaker

Chicago, IL

#4 Nov 1, 2006
It is estimated that 25% of all 2004, 2005, and 2006 Ford F150s have the vibration problem you reference. The vibration comes in at least three flavors. Steering wheel shimmy, driveline, and body/frame shutter vibration. Most likely cause of the steering wheel shimmy is out of round or bent rims. Driveline vibration is caused by an unbalanced drive shaft or excessive runout in the Visteon differential. The body/frame shutter vibration is a design flaw and cannot be fixed. Ford TSB says to install a vibration damper on the left rear underside of the truck, but it won't help. Ford has also written a TSB that says to tell the Customer that the cause of the vibrations is tire flat spotting, which is absolutely absurb. In short, Ford quality is the problem and there is no fix for it when your losing $3.5B in a single accounting quarter.
Aeropilot

Wichita Falls, TX

#5 Nov 11, 2006
I had vibration with my 04 S-CREW since new. Ford replaced tire after tire for a total of 12 tires. They forced balanced the tires as they were always out of spec. In addition they replaced the drive shaft, pinion gear, added a drive shaft damper.
The wheels were replaced as well as the rotors at one point. The resolve is that Ford gave me an extended warrenty on my tires... Luckey Me.

Screw Ford and the chassis they ride on!
Frank

AOL

#6 Nov 12, 2006
Aeropilot, What kind of driving do you do? Do you drive the truck like a race car? I know some guys expect the trucks to perform like a high performance vehicle, it's just a truck and won't handle like a sports car or do a 10 second 1/4 mile. You are lucky that Ford did all of that for you. My 06 s-crew does good but could be much better with new "qaulity" tires. The factory Conti tires are crap but they will have to do for now or at least 20k.
Greg

Guild, NH

#7 Dec 9, 2006
I have a 05 f150 and an 06 f150 both supercrew. The 06 is a work vehicle so you don't think I am crazy and would buy two of these lemons. My 05 I bought used after one prior owner. It had 21000 on it. The truck had a shake in the body and drivers seat when I tried it out. Dealer stated it needed an allignment. I took their word they took my money and seven months later and over a dozen times back in the dealership to fix it, it still shakes. They tried indexing the tires multiple times, changed out two rims, replaced the drive shaft, two sets of tires and put a frame dampner under the bed of the truck, which is a 15 pound weight. Long story short I was working with a ford factory rep and all they were going to do for me is offer a free extended warranty but every time you want to use it you have to pay a 100 dollar deductable. The ford rep said the vehicle was funtionally operational. I am in legal proceeding now trying to get my money back. Ford should be penalized somehow for treating the consumer like garbage. I will never purchase a Ford vehicle again. Side note the 06 does the same thing. Test drove an 07 no vibration must of taken 2 years for the boneheads to fix the engineering problem.
bluebaker wrote:
It is estimated that 25% of all 2004, 2005, and 2006 Ford F150s have the vibration problem you reference. The vibration comes in at least three flavors. Steering wheel shimmy, driveline, and body/frame shutter vibration. Most likely cause of the steering wheel shimmy is out of round or bent rims. Driveline vibration is caused by an unbalanced drive shaft or excessive runout in the Visteon differential. The body/frame shutter vibration is a design flaw and cannot be fixed. Ford TSB says to install a vibration damper on the left rear underside of the truck, but it won't help. Ford has also written a TSB that says to tell the Customer that the cause of the vibrations is tire flat spotting, which is absolutely absurb. In short, Ford quality is the problem and there is no fix for it when your losing $3.5B in a single accounting quarter.
Greg

Guild, NH

#8 Dec 9, 2006
I have a 05 f150 and an 06 f150 both supercrew. The 06 is a work vehicle so you don't think I am crazy and would buy two of these lemons. My 05 I bought used after one prior owner. It had 21000 on it. The truck had a shake in the body and drivers seat when I tried it out. Dealer stated it needed an allignment. I took their word they took my money and seven months later and over a dozen times back in the dealership to fix it, it still shakes. They tried indexing the tires multiple times, changed out two rims, replaced the drive shaft, two sets of tires and put a frame dampner under the bed of the truck, which is a 15 pound weight. Long story short I was working with a ford factory rep and all they were going to do for me is offer a free extended warranty but every time you want to use it you have to pay a 100 dollar deductable. The ford rep said the vehicle was funtionally operational. I am in legal proceeding now trying to get my money back. Ford should be penalized somehow for treating the consumer like garbage. I will never purchase a Ford vehicle again. Side note the 06 does the same thing. Test drove an 07 no vibration must of taken 2 years for the boneheads to fix the engineering problem.
Aeropilot

Wichita Falls, TX

#9 Dec 17, 2006
Frank I am a sales rep and I move around alot. I am not expecting anything other then the truck I am used to driving. The six trucks prior to this were trucks and I know what to expect and what not to expect. Having the steering wheel shake in my hands is not typical unless your one of the lucky 25% of the 04'and newer F150's. I will admit however the performance of this truck is better than the Fiat I drive for fun.
Frank wrote:
Aeropilot, What kind of driving do you do? Do you drive the truck like a race car? I know some guys expect the trucks to perform like a high performance vehicle, it's just a truck and won't handle like a sports car or do a 10 second 1/4 mile. You are lucky that Ford did all of that for you. My 06 s-crew does good but could be much better with new "qaulity" tires. The factory Conti tires are crap but they will have to do for now or at least 20k.
Aeropilot

Wichita Falls, TX

#10 Dec 17, 2006
Greg dont hold your breath my truck took about 1000 miles to start showing the shake. I as well have written off Fords I have been screwed on the last three vehicles I have purchased in one way or another and am tired of the attitude. I am looking at Nissan now, Ford will not miss its customer until its too late.
Greg wrote:
Aeropilot

Wichita Falls, TX

#11 Dec 17, 2006
I was at the dealership last week replacing the rear window motor again.(it seems the rear window motor is an issue without any reason it just fails)
I asked if they had any new information on the shake and they acted like they did not know what i was talking about. I spoke the shop manager who told me they do not know the cause or the resolve.
Frank

AOL

#12 Dec 18, 2006
guess your a lemon magnet?

Good Luck!
Gene

United States

#13 Dec 27, 2006
I increased the torque on the lug nuts from 150 ft. lbs. to 200 ft. lbs. That reduced the shimmy problem by 80%.
Aeropilot

Austin, TX

#14 Jan 9, 2007
Thanks for the info, I will try it.
Frank

AOL

#15 Jan 9, 2007
I did the Same. I had rotated my tires and thought I had them tight enough... but after 300 miles I was getting a vibration too. I checked my lugs and found that they had worked loose just a little. I torqued them down a little more and the problem is gone. Sometimes it pays to do things the old way... Tighten the hell out of them!
Glenn

Clearwater, FL

#16 Jan 18, 2007
Mark wrote:
Mark, I am having the same problem with my 06 STX 4x4. The dealership has had my truck three times (replacing all four tires) and it is still doing the same thing. I requested my tech to go on a road test with me to confirm that I am not imagining this. He not only confirmed that my truck is actually doing what I told them it was, but he further told me that there are bulletins from ford specifically addressing this major problem for this line of trucks. He says the bulletin outlines what the dealership is supposed to do. First replace the tires, then move to the Ring and Pinion, then the drive train, etc. He told me that they are actually replacing large numbers of parts on some trucks--and it still doesn't fix the problem. Ford is aware of these issues, they just won't be up front with you unless you push them to. P.S. I started to notice these problems after about 7,000 miles. Now I am at 15,800.
Georgie

UK

#17 Jan 24, 2007
Guys, i noticed you all drive trucks...do you drive off road, anywere near mud? 99 out of 100 cases especially on a fairly new vehicle is a wheel balance problem. I've seen cars with bent swingarms and stil not vibrate so find out what upset the balance. 3kg of mud (very easyly accumulated)and you will not be able to hold the steering straight. If you intent to drive a truck at speeds over 30mph then pressure wash the inside of your wheels before you do so.
Pat

Austin, TX

#18 Jan 31, 2007
Gene wrote:
I increased the torque on the lug nuts from 150 ft. lbs. to 200 ft. lbs. That reduced the shimmy problem by 80%.
I chose to check things out on my own prior to running to the dealer. I found several nuts on each wheel well below 150 ft-lb. Using a torque wrench (not impact driver and torque sticks!) I lifted each corner of the truck and did an initial tighten to 70 ft-lb. Then gently lowered and tightened to 150 ft-lb. Almost zero vibration now.
punkie

AOL

#19 Feb 11, 2007
Mark wrote:
I took my 2006 f150 xlt triton in and they said the driveshaft was out of balance. They supposedly fixed it, but it still vibrates anywhere from 35 to 60. And you can hear this waffling sound like wind is blowing through a wind tunnel.
Ed Miller

Marlborough, CT

#20 Apr 1, 2007
Had the same shuddering issue with my 06 STX 4x4, seemed like I was driving over rumble strips at about 45-60 mph. The dealer replaced the gears in the rearend under some TSB or other. Did not fix it. Then they changed the driveshaft, claiming they thought the factory one was slightly out of balance and causing the shudder. Seems to be ok now, I will admit to being over sensitive to any drive line shudder since having problems with my truck when new. I will tell you I now have all of the rough spots memorized around town because of this issue...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford F-150 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
nate Sat t3njw 1
Cold Air Intake Problem Whinning Noise (Dec '06) Sat Keith 49
ford 200 f150 stsrt problems (Jun '06) Jan 26 Sam 296
Ford Engines, 4.6-liter, 5.4-liter (May '09) Jan 21 Brett 34
2001 F-150 5.4 misfire on # 6 cylinder (Dec '07) Jan 20 javier t 103
2000 f-150 4x4 front axle question (Jan '08) Jan 19 mossyoak96 25
7 vehicles that wowed Detroit auto show Jan 14 R Prior 2
More from around the web