Rough Idle on 2003 F-150 5.4L
4evryg

Collierville, TN

#202 Apr 19, 2008
has anyone had vibration problems outof the newer f150s? i jacked up the rear and between 45 and 55 mph i have a vibration. i have been to 3 dealers with no sucess
Justin Ledford

Burlington, KY

#203 Aug 1, 2008
I have a 1996 Ford f-150 And I started it up one morning to go to work and it was idling a bit rough. Got to work and it wanted to shut off and I come back out to leave that night and it wouldnt start (check engine light was on too) I finally got it started and went to autozone and they hooked up to it and said cylinders 2 and 3 were not firing so they cleared the codes and it ran great for about two or three minutes. check engine light came on again and lost all power. I get close to home and it totally shuts off and I had to haul it on a trailer to get it home.I pulled the plugs out and the electrodes on three of the spark plugs were gone. I had just replaced all of them and the spark plug wires and also the distributor cap I dont get it I done everything correctly the engine now sounds weak when it turns over. I have also replaced the starter, fuel regulator and a new battery
SHELLY

United States

#204 Aug 1, 2008
I HAVE A 2006 F150ITH A 5.4. THE OTHER DAY I GOT ON THE GAS TO GET OVER AND IT STARTED KNOCKING. THE SOUND THAT IT IS MAKING SOUNDS LIKE A SMASHED LIFTER THE ONLY THING IS, IS THAT THIS PARTICULAR YEAR AND MODEL DOES NOT HAVE LIFTERS. THE ENGINE HAS GOOD OIL PRESSURE AND NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. IT IS KIND OF SLUGGISH IN FIRST, UNTIL IT GETS RIGHT AT TIME TO SHIFT, THEN IT PICKS UP AND HAS PLENTY OF POWER. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED I CAN'T FIGURE THIS ONE OUT AND SO DON'T WANT TO GO TO FORD.
Jason

Bremerton, WA

#205 Aug 10, 2008
I have a 2003 expedition with the 5.4 two things I am getting horrible mpg. And now I have a misfire on cyl # 2 I purchased a new boot and plug but dont know when looking at the engine which cylinder is 2 is it the second one back on the passenger side? Thanks for your help.
Debbie

Scottsdale, AZ

#206 Aug 20, 2008
I have a 2003 F-150 w/over 117,000 miles. All of a sudden out of no where it is running really rough I was told it was the fuel filter cuz it would idle high then low and sometimes cut off. I changed the fuel filter and did the treatment they recommend it was running good for a while but then started doing it again last night when i was on the highway it was like it wasnt getting the gas or something I cut it off for a little while then it worked ok....Please help any suggestions are appreciated.

Debbie
[email protected]
kboothman

Saint Louis, MO

#207 Sep 15, 2008
I have a 2002 F150, 5.4L V8. After taking the truck to the repair shop and having the altenator, serpentine belt, and belt tensioner replaced, the truck is not idling and running very rough after about 10 minutes of operation.

Any suggestions on what to look for?
John

AOL

#208 Oct 5, 2008
F-1500 2003. check engine light came, had it and the code was for the EGR flow sensor. Where is this located and how tough of a fix is it? Your help as awlays is greatly appreciated!
John

AOL

#209 Oct 5, 2008
oops meant F150
GTF-150

Croydon, PA

#210 Oct 17, 2008
Hi all, 1989 F-150 4x4 302, original owner. It's run great forever... had the top end cleaned around 90,000mi and it ran like NEW.. STRONG. Now at 119,000 mi it began to idle very rough and stall. Replaced EGR and it runs/starts better but still idles rough, runs rough *sometimes* when getting into the gas pedal. Seems to run smoother at higher speeds. I've noticed an 'exhaust smell' and what sounds like a cracked/leaky exhaust manifold. Maybe it's just the connection to the exhaust pipe. Can't remember when the plugs/wires were changed...(70,000??) I plan to start with inspecting plugs/wires, find exhaust leak, and it seems from this forum I should clean the MAF ..!!! I've used CRC all my life on boats... any other suggestions before I get to checking the vacuum lines..??? Thanks in advance..
jerhea

Naperville, IL

#211 Oct 21, 2008
Just a comment here (might help someone) 02 F150 SC 5.4L 72K miles. Had the same occainal miss fire (chuging) when you place a little extra load on the vehicle, starting up a slite hill or overpass, mild acceration. kept getting worse with time.-- I changed spark plugs,(motorcraft) read that here. Checked COP's, looks and readings were good, reinstalled. Thuck ran good for several months (3or4). It just started mildly missing again. I just read where if your running lean and my number 2&3 cylinders were lead when I changed the plugs. It mite be a dirty MAS mass air flow sensor not telling the computer the right reading for fuel flow. I used CRC MAS sensor cleaner. My MAS didn't look dirty, but I spayed it anyway. Cleaned the entire air flow duct system and used the CRC MAS cleaner to clean the Throtle body (it was filty). It hasn't been long but truck is running great so far.
I hope this helps someone, I know I got a lot of help and ideas from here!
AlexS

San Antonio, TX

#212 Nov 5, 2008
i have a 2003 f150 with a 4.6 . the check engine light came on . bad mass airflow sensor . instead of just cleaning it , i replaced it . it still runs rough at idle . at part throttle seems to ping like as if it was out of time . could it be the crankshaft position sensor
mackfleetwood25

AOL

#213 Nov 28, 2008
i have a ford f150 how can i determin that a plug coil is bad and can this plug coil when cold be working fine until it heats up ? auto zone ran a scan on it told me two coils were bad no. 2 and no. 8 do these two cylenders fire at the same time . or is there anythiung infront of the coil that could cause the coil no to funtion
aaron

Tea, SD

#214 Dec 15, 2008
i have a 2001 f150 with a 5.4 it was rough idling in gear like when i'd stop at a stop sign. then the check engine light came on so i clean the maf and reset the computer and it ran fine for a day now it did the same thing. running bad and the check engine light came on. anybody have any ideas what it could be.
thatguy

United States

#215 Dec 19, 2008
AlexS wrote:
i have a 2003 f150 with a 4.6 . the check engine light came on . bad mass airflow sensor . instead of just cleaning it , i replaced it . it still runs rough at idle . at part throttle seems to ping like as if it was out of time . could it be the crankshaft position sensor
got and idea it the cam sensor,you might want to have it checked
Ken

Chapel Hill, NC

#216 Dec 28, 2008
I have a 98 Expedition with 146K miles on it..I keep replacing coil packs...again P0304 came back ...is there another reason that would cause these packs to go bad or is it another issue and I keep changing out the coils? I have an OBD scanner and it reads the same damn thing all the time p0304...the truck runs great when it is cold or first started up..it shutters and hesitates when it warms up and I now get about 12.5 MPG (again)....help?
Jermaine

Arlington, VA

#217 Mar 4, 2009
My 199 f-150 5.4 triton is missing even when I go up hills I changed fuel fillter could it be a pcv valve. And the idle is low it sits below 1. Help me please.
Craig

Lancaster, CA

#218 Apr 7, 2009

2002 f150 4.2 v6. Stalls while driving. Idles rough and stalls. Replaced fuel filter 2 weeks ago, ran good for a day. Put fuel injector cleaner in a full tank of gas. Ran great for the whole tank. Refueled...back to stalling. More injector cleaner,no more problems. Changed filter again,fininshed tank of gas no problems. New tank of gas, ran about 20 miles. Stalling again. I'm thinking the tank is dirty. Maybe the fuel pump. Truck has 170000 miles on it. Any thoughts?
4mrmike

Pomona, CA

#219 Jun 13, 2009
Help! 1998 F150 4x4 5.4L Lariat supercab. Everytime I hit the gas hard with the air conditioning on the airflow goes to the defroster until I let off the gas. Then everything returns to normal with the air blowing out the dash like it should. Vacuum leak??
John

AOL

#220 Jun 14, 2009
I have a two part question, hope someone can help. My CE light came went to auto zone who said it was a fualty egr senor or excessive egr??? How do I change it? Second, there are 2 silver tubes on top left hand side of the engine the has a threaded port it's leaking gas, how do I fix it?

Your help would be greatly appreciated
Tim

Beverly Hills, FL

#221 Jun 17, 2009
my mechanic has changed the timing chain,fuel injecters,plugs,crank shaft sensor,done a smoke test,and maf sensor and coil packs . still we are having a bad missing problem.we also took off intake manifold and took it to a ford dealership and had the engine tested ,they could not pinpoint the problem ,can anyone help ? the lowest compession is at 190.its got 120000 miles on a5.4 engine

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford F-150 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2006 F150 king ranch 5.4l 4x4 has a miss fire t... 11 hr jwgonehunting 2
Cold Air Intake Problem Whinning Noise (Dec '06) Feb '17 jose 51
News Feds Urged to Act on Ford Spark Plug Blow-Outs (Jan '06) Feb '17 LATOYA 1,362
Steering vibration (Oct '06) Feb '17 D Meritt 35
2000 f-150 4x4 front axle question (Jan '08) Feb '17 Brett h 29
1998 F150 4.6L V8 gray/blue smoke on start up (May '06) Feb '17 D man 82
News Full-size diesel pickup truck that gets 37 mpg?... Jan '17 wip 1
More from around the web