2004 F-150 rear brakes
Davey

United States

#21 May 16, 2008
Rick wrote:
FYI. The emergency brake use shoes and drums.
I noticed that my e brake started having problems - I never realized the rear brakes have both, the brake shoes went bad and thats when the ebrake started sticking. Easy fix. Get new shoes. Look on Napa autoparts website and they sell both types for newer Fords. I tow a boat all year and my brakes wear evenly. Ford says the avrage is about 30,000 miles between brake changes. The F150 isint a light vehicle so I wouldnt expect to get the same 60,000 mile life off the pads. Why complain their cheap ($20 a set at Napa). Now really - is it worth spending $70 on a set of ceramic pads?
Steve

Saint Louis, MO

#22 May 22, 2008
The parking brake system is separate from the service brakes. The parking brake system is acutally housed inside the the rear diff.
Mike

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#23 Jun 3, 2008
I am wanting to change my rear pads but cant get the rotor to budge for nothing. Any ideas???
Greg

Vienna, VA

#24 Jun 10, 2008
Mike wrote:
I am wanting to change my rear pads but cant get the rotor to budge for nothing. Any ideas???
If the e-brake levers are frozen they will make getting the rotors off, difficult. Try tapping the rotor with a rubber mallet, and loosening the adjuster wheels on the e-brake shoes inside the hubs.
Greg

Vienna, VA

#25 Jun 10, 2008
If the e-brake levers are rusted/frozen the rotors can be hard to get off. Try tapping the rotors with a rubber mallet, and loosening the e-brake adjustment wheels inside the rotor hubs.
mike

White Haven, PA

#26 Jul 13, 2008
Maybe you can help me on something. I am changing out my brakes on a 2004 F-150 4X4 for the first time since I got it new. Don’t use it much just for pulling my boat or quad trailer. My front disks have a wire spring that connects both side pads together. The spring goes into a small hole in the housing of the disc. The old ones were rusted in and no way are they coming out and In fact I broke one already. I called around to some auto parts stores and no one carries them, even in the brake kits with rattle clips and stuff. Do you know if these wire springs are just put on in the factory on the line to hold them in place or are they needed to operate the brake system correctly?
Hope you can help. It is Sunday and nothing is open today, so I am stuck until tomorrow if I need to go to dealer to get them.
Todd

Perkasie, PA

#27 Jul 14, 2008
Shane wrote:
I had the same problem with my 2005 f150 4x4.
Front pads still had pad left. Back pads started to grind. Whats up with that? Thought back pads were only 20% of ur stopping.
Also, How the heck do you remove the rear rotors?
Fronts came right off. Back rotors wont budge. Is this due to the emergency brake hold it on somehow?
You need to release the E-brake before you remove the rear rotors or you will never get them off, after you have done that you need to use a torch and heat the rotor up and use a hammer or mallet to bang it off. Have a pair of thick gloves ready to pull off the hot rotor, don't over heat the rotor, just enought to get it off.
blown91

Calgary, Canada

#28 Sep 10, 2008
mike wrote:
Maybe you can help me on something. I am changing out my brakes on a 2004 F-150 4X4 for the first time since I got it new. Don’t use it much just for pulling my boat or quad trailer. My front disks have a wire spring that connects both side pads together. The spring goes into a small hole in the housing of the disc. The old ones were rusted in and no way are they coming out and In fact I broke one already. I called around to some auto parts stores and no one carries them, even in the brake kits with rattle clips and stuff. Do you know if these wire springs are just put on in the factory on the line to hold them in place or are they needed to operate the brake system correctly?
Hope you can help. It is Sunday and nothing is open today, so I am stuck until tomorrow if I need to go to dealer to get them.
Those springs are there to allow a tiny gap between the pads and the rotor. They prevent the pads from rubbing aainst the rotors when they are not being used, you do need them.
wizarrd

Sarnia, Canada

#29 Sep 15, 2008
i just had it out with my ford dealer i have 05 f150 4x4 40000 km back pessenger rotor on the out side part was like nothing i have seen before driver side not to bad fronts had about 6 months left on them.. dealer would not replace without charging $600 just for backs told them there is no way backs should wear out before fronts and not just one side..went to the states picked up 1 rotorpads front and back for $100 took about 1 hour to do all the work..told the dealers owner that he just lost out on $ 60000 for the mustang she wants..now i get my 2010 camaro
andres

Stafford, VA

#30 Sep 24, 2008
yes, i have my front rotors are in excellent condition still but my rear rotors are grinding down really bad, about how much did it cost to replace them and if so is it pretty easy to do them yourself
Barry

West Des Moines, IA

#31 Sep 30, 2008
So I also am having brake problems at 60,000 just on driver side rear. Replaced pads, took test drive and brakes started smoking. Got online and now believe it is parking brake. I do not see any answers on how to adjust this though, or even what causes this problem. Anyone have any answers??
MJB

Goderich, Canada

#32 Oct 18, 2008
JSC wrote:
I'm in Canada and my 2004 f150 has only 35,000 kms on it and the rear brakes are completely gone while the front ones are fine. I think the premature wear is due to the parking brake cable problem that was fixed a while ago but under normal use, there is no way the rear brakes should wear out before the front ones.
My 2004 needs front and rear brakes put on today, son drives it most of the time as I'm gone all week driving truck. Didn't realize they were wore out till yesterday and they are shot metal to metal, there was no noise or vibration, son took it to town and now they are siezed, I guess I'll be replaceing rotors also.Not bad I guess for 149000 km.
Henry Wallingsworth

North Royalton, OH

#33 Nov 13, 2008
Mike Davis wrote:
Listen very carefully my friends. Do not, no matter how tempting it may be, ever use your emergency brake. It won't release properly and and after a few miles when the pads have reached the approximate temperature of the sun going super nova, the truck will heave like a sick mule. You will then have to resist the urge to beat your wife into submission for having set it after you,ve repeatedly begged her not to. I know I deserve this for letting her drive my truck but I'm just an old softy.
DUMBEST THING I EVER HEARD!!!! Use the parking brake regularly and it WILL NOT freeze up!
Randall

Hendersonville, TN

#34 Nov 14, 2008
I had a 2004 F150 FX4, just traded it. 98,000
one brake job front and rear at 40,000.
Got tired of the brake dust and squeaking from the rear. Replaced both of them with ceramic pads from Auto Zone, Extra money was well worth it.
mike

AOL

#35 Nov 24, 2008
Shane wrote:
I had the same problem with my 2005 f150 4x4.
Front pads still had pad left. Back pads started to grind. Whats up with that? Thought back pads were only 20% of ur stopping.
Also, How the heck do you remove the rear rotors?
Fronts came right off. Back rotors wont budge. Is this due to the emergency brake hold it on somehow?
how did you get rotors off
Jay

Atlanta, GA

#36 Dec 20, 2008
My 2005 F-150 Lariat rear brake gave no warning of wear. It was completely worn at 67K miles and the front pads are still half way worn. Now I'll have to replace the rear rotor and pads. Why does the rears wear-out before the fronts?
Kruczynski

Grafton, WI

#37 Jan 10, 2009
I have a 2004 F150 FX4, and the back brakes went before the fronts. I too used the emergency brake when I first bought the truck and got such a violent shake when driving on the freeway, I thought the trucks wheels were falling off!!!

Ford denied any problem with their brakes!!
Suprise, Surprise. With all these same comments, time for a class action law suit!!!
Chuck

Schaumburg, IL

#38 Jan 10, 2009
I can not seem to figure out how the front rotors comee off, after removing caliper the caliper frame is in the way. Do you remove it by taking the two large bolts from behind off seems like that is connected to the hub,or does the caliper pin remove them. This is on a f150 2004. Any ideas. The manual at auto store doesnt explain it even.
jim palmer

United States

#39 Mar 19, 2009
i have a 2004 f150 an the left hand rear brake disc has groves in it .with 41000 miles right is good y, bal is good jim
BRuff

Kissimmee, FL

#40 Mar 19, 2009
James wrote:
I have a 2004 F-150 with 60,000 miles. My rear brake pads were almost worn down but my front brake pads had about half of the pad left. Has anypne else had a problem with the rear pads wearing out first?
My back brakes on my '04 F150 held up for about 28K, both front windows have fallen out of the track, the pedals no longer adjust, my highway mileage is down to 13mpg, and it runs like a three-legged billy goat. Probably needs plugs but due to the problems with plugs breaking off in the head, I am afraid to try changing them. Can anybody say Chevy? All of the problems mentioned here, with the exception of the brake pads, have occurred between 36K (end of warranty) and 42K (present mileage).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford F-150 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
f150 drivetrain vibration (Apr '08) May 14 Tazzerak 60
Pcm fuse issue on forld F-150 4.2 May 13 Cissy2032 1
blown pcm fuse on 98 f150 with 4.2 (Aug '07) May 13 Cissy2032 19
Rough Idle on 2003 F-150 5.4L (May '06) May 10 Josh 300
ford f150 v8 2002 May 10 mvjohnson 1
2001 F-150 5.4 misfire on # 6 cylinder (Dec '07) Apr 28 pops 114
News Fiat Chrysler's recall, Toyota's earthquake woe... Apr '16 more of 1
More from around the web